[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a worse romance in an RPG than this? >Neither character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
Is there a worse romance in an RPG than this?

>Neither character is particularly likable
>Kiss scene is way too long and drawn out
>Yuna is overshadowed in her own game by the real best girl, Rikku
>No feels whatsoever (and this is coming from an Anon who plays love story RPGs exclusively and usually enjoys them)

How did they fuck this up so bad?
>>
>>337678990
the fact that they actually kiss each other makes it 100% better than 9/10 other JRPG romance where all they do is awkwardly hint at it and then when things might happen the old dude walks in
>>
>Is there a worse romance
It's like you never played FFVIII.
>>
>>337678990
The only characters that are vaguely acceptable in X are Auron and Khimari. Khimari because he doesn't or barely talks.
>>
File: 438368-tidus.png (121 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
438368-tidus.png
121 KB, 320x320
This is my story.
>>
>this is coming from an Anon who plays love story RPGs exclusively and usually enjoys them
I don't think you should try to make a thread like this and admit to something like that with the same breath.
>>
>>337679168

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>337679051

>Yuu/Teddie
>>
It was okay or maybe even good (I never even had much of an opinion on this)

But when I look back at it, they were both struggling with their own shit while at the same time coming together to save the world. It was a somber journey the entire time since everyone knew what would happen to Yuna, and no doubt she was struggling the most internally because of it.

Not to mention dream boy and him being fucked up because of his DAD. They helped each other a lot
>>
>>337679438
I don't see how the romance is bad. There was actual, drawn out development between the two throughout the game. If it were just shoehorned in, then I'd understand OP complaining. Although whining about Rikku just sounds like some waifu faggotry to me.

Perhaps not the best romance, but it isn't as bad as OP makes it out to be.
>>
>>337679090
I liked FFVIII. Rinoa and Squall were both much more likable characters.

>>337679237
Why not? I'm not ashamed of it.
>>
>>337679596
None of that matters if both the characters are shit-tier. It felt pretty shoehorned in to me, to be honest.

At least it's not Lufia II
>>
>>337679130
I'm beginning to think that nobody on /v/ likes a character that isn't complete cliché that doesn't do anything but act like one.
>>
>>337680035
>Tidus
>Shit tier

Bad opinion senpai

Even Yuna wasn't all that bad, she ended up with character development too.
>>
>>337678990
>best girl, Rikku
Oh you were making a joke post haha.
See, it's a joke because Rikku is one of the least important characters in the game.
>>
>>337678990
I actually agree with OP to a point, the romance just felt forced. It was He's MC and She Female lead, there wasn't any chemistry between the two.
Remember Tales of Lagarde or whatever that floating continent story with Senel? He had that Templar girl with him and there was a lot of chemistry and they didn't end up together because lead Female has to get the guy? If they had Senel go with the Templar that would have been perfect, the chemistry wad there and both respected eachother.

Yuna is a perfect example of a Fanfiction marysue only not the self insert. She has to go with the MC despite being extremely boring, and her pure maiden issue was irratating to the very end. I only felt something when they split up.
>>
>>337678990
Every romance in any Persona game.

>>Neither character is particularly likable

Says you. Disregarded.

>>Kiss scene is way too long and drawn out

Just your opinion again. Disregarded.

>>Yuna is overshadowed in her own game by the real best girl, Rikku

Rikku was never a real romantic interest, you dingus. She was only there to introduce the whole Al Bhed perspective, not to have romance with Tidus.

>>No feels whatsoever (and this is coming from an Anon who plays love story RPGs exclusively and usually enjoys them)

You play and enjoy garbage constantly, and you dare to try to tell us what is good romance and what isn't?
DROP DEAD, faggot.
>>
>>337681573
>and you dare to try to tell us what is good romance and what isn't?
Well. yeah. As a connoisseur of love, I would say I am unique qualified to judge these matters.
>>
>>337681573
While I largely agree with you,
>DROP DEAD, faggot
Is pretty extreme.
>>
>>337681573
wow some one is touchy about their highschool ham fisted romance
>>
>>337678990
>>Yuna is overshadowed in her own game by the real best girl, Rikku

Would be more believable if you said Lulu
>>
>>337679929
>I liked FFVIII. Rinoa and Squall were both much more likable characters

Confirmed for shit taste.
>>
>>337684731
>Lulu
>capable of overshadowing a stump

You look at her tits for a while and then forget she exists the entire game.
>>
File: 1450930262952.jpg (47 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
1450930262952.jpg
47 KB, 333x500
>>337679929
>stupid spoiled whore and mopey faggot who always seems like he wants to kill himself were both much more likable characters
>>
>>337686482
And that's still better than Yuna the walking doormat.
>>
>>337686907
Except not, since Yuna had actual significance to the story, some development, and her timid personality made sense given the life she had led up until meeting Tidus.

Lulu was "this is the big sister character; she is sassy."
>>
>>337678990
Final Fantasy VIII. No seriously, the romance is already one-sided as fuck and has zero chemistry, but is made even worse when your comrades have to - for no reason whatsoever other than the plot demanding it - have to jump in and constantly FORCE YOU TWO TOGETHER.
>>
>>337679438
I've read one interesting theory that a lot of FFX can be interpreted as how people cope with a terminal illness, with Yuna being the sick person in question. I feel as though that a lot of the initial awkwardness and hesitancy between them can be explained by that.
>>
>>337687832
Yeah and I've read theories on how the other orphans were different aspects of Squall's personality than were both metaphorically and literally separated from him when he was a child at the orphanage. Somehow I doubt any of them were the writer's intention, unless they wanted to make their stories look even worse.
>>
>>337678990
>No feels whatsoever (and this is coming from an Anon who plays love story RPGs exclusively and usually enjoys them)

What's some good ones? Genuinely curious, most of the RPGs I've played don't have explicit romance.
>>
>no overworld
>15 year later and I'm still mad.
>>
>>337688258

Having an overworld really makes an FF game feel like there's more to it than a bunch of fucking corridors.
>>
>>337688502
>jrpg overworld
>physical barriers, plot barriers, or high level enemies keeping you where you need to be going

You're still in a corridor.
>>
File: ff10_us.jpg (167 KB, 558x792) Image search: [Google]
ff10_us.jpg
167 KB, 558x792
>>337688502
I'm still mad, really. I'm not lying. Going around Spira, finding ruins and new weapons.
I loved FFX cover because it has the Chrono Cross look.
>>
>>337689038

I agree but having an overworld at least makes the world seem bigger than a bunch of walkways.
>>
>>337689038
A corridor connecting X to Y is different than an overworld that allows you to go from X to Y, Z and near W.
>>
>>337678990
CloudxTifa, SquallxRinoa

>Yuna is overshadowed in her own game by the real best girl, Rikku
Well aside from Rikku never really being in the running, unless you count the pointless little affection system, that's how it pretty much always is. That is, the main girl is usually the most boring or least interesting girl. Usually the least attractive as well.
>>
>>337680035
>it's a Maxim is worried about Selan episode
>>
File: cloud-and-tifa.jpg (1 MB, 1273x1123) Image search: [Google]
cloud-and-tifa.jpg
1 MB, 1273x1123
>>337689939
CloudxTifa at least made sense. Cloud never loved Aerith anyway.
>>
>>337681573
>muh opinion card
kill yourself nigger
>>
>>337690210
Well I say that because at least Tidus and Yuna had an actual courtship that we see, with Tidus actively interested in her the whole time. CloudxTifa is your childhood friend romance shit, but arguably even worse since they didn't even know each other that well as children.
>>
>>337690604
They knew each other well enough for Cloud to make a promise to her. And TidusxYuna is typical love at first sight shit. He didn't even know her well enough and he was already infatuated with her.
>>
>>337689820
Except you can't actually do that in most. Which was my point. You're herded in one way or another from A to B, X to Y.

Only after you've been herded from Y to Z can you then move freely between X, Y, and Z.

>near W

Wowie, you can be near something. That's almost like being there.
>>
>>337689225
>having an overworld at least makes the world seem bigger
it really doesn't
in fact for me it's the opposite

take for instance super mario world(or 3) which has an overworld
to me that game feels much smaller than sonic 3&K(the game is smaller too but that's not the point) because the latter doesn't have an overworld and instead has transitions from level to level and makes that whole level feel like just one very small part of the island making it feel much bigger...same applies to FFX which feels much bigger than previous entries of the series

If FFX had an overworld like 7,8 and 9 people would be underwhelmed because with the PS2 they expected something more like Elder Scrolls(or recently FFXV) where it's an open world instead of an overhead view(which would have been underwhelming for a PS2-era AAA Game like FFX)
>>
>>337689121
Squaresoft was in love with Beaches around the years 1999 to 2002 for some reason

Maybe they saw Sonic Adventure at the time which had a beach opening level so they were like "me too"
>>
>>337690820
Which wasn't well at all. Tifa even says so. CloudxYuna might be love at fight sight shit but they do spend more time together in that sense within the timeframe of the game we are playing.
>>
>>337691496
To add to this, there's also perspective.

When you're playing FFX, you can see a ways off into the distance all around you. Even though your area of movement is limited, this creates a sense of scope, letting you know you're in a large area.

On an overworld map, you're seeing a huge area all at once, but it's presented as a low detail blob of grass/sand/whatever.

Makes it feel like you're walking on someone's front lawn.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.