[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong with Minecraft? It was literally the best game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 17
File: oLWXI.jpg (302 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
oLWXI.jpg
302 KB, 1920x1080
What went wrong with Minecraft? It was literally the best game in existence, so simple, yet so fun
>>
Autism
>>
>>337671829
fanbase.
nothing less, nothing more.
>>
>>337671957

It was so much fun when Notch was on /v/ and we had a few /v/ servers and were raiding kiddos.

But I guess all good things must come to an end.
>>
>>337671956
autism made it good
>>337671957
but what exactly was it? I loved mods, especially something like Mo' Creeps and Weirdos, but even mods have lost their charm
something about how clunky it was made it so fun, like a lot of items not stacking
>>
>>337671829
They took it from being something simple and fun to something unnecessarily complex and convoluted. They made a sandbox game into some epic RPG quest shit, which was completely unfitting. They should've just improved the base game rather than adding tons of pointless shit only autists will enjoy. However since the majority of minecraft players today are undoubtedly autistic, it suits them quite well.
>>
>>337671957
what dose a fanbase have to do with you enjoying a game? or do you let v decide what you play?
>>
>>337671957

Minecraft Touhou is the only good fanbase out there.
>>
>>337672138
>They should've just improved the base game rather than adding tons of pointless shit only autists will enjoy
It'd think they would be incredibly angry at something like pillars or whatever else pointless thing is in the game because they basically existed before
I wouldn't be surprised if they added furniture next
>>
File: ._.jpg (4 KB, 213x165) Image search: [Google]
._.jpg
4 KB, 213x165
If anyone creates a server, I'll hop into it in a heartbeat.
You know you want to do it, anon. For the ol' times.
>>
Little children
>>
>>337672156
Because the fanbase formed during the development they had a certain level of input on the making of the game, leading to all the out of place combat bullshit and the decision to turn the game into more of an adventure game than the zen sandbox that it already was. It's because of the fanbase full of 5 year olds that there's the minecraft telltale cancer.
>>
>>337671829
adding hunger and ruining the seeds to be boring shit, along with the "vacations"
>>
>>337671829
> So simple, yet so fun
There it is.
Simplicity.

Instead of expanding on existing systems and improving what was there, they added a dozen unfinished systems.

There are two viable weapons.

Where's throwable dynamite?
Where's crossbows?
Where's the fucking blocks actually ever coming into play?

At its core, Minecraft is incredibly poorly designed and was pretty much not designed. Which is a terrible idea.
>>
>>337671829
Hunger meter
>>
>>337671829
They ruined the world generation
>>
>>337672335
The problem wasn't combat or monsters, it was 1.8. That update just ruined the whole game. Now it was ACTUALLY about survival since you had a hunger meter, running made the world feel way smaller and stuff like villages when they were completely pointless made the player feel like they their creations didn't matters as much because there's already people in the world
how can you fuck up a game so royally hard just like a few months before the "full" release?
>>
File: FLAOT.png (319 KB, 985x911) Image search: [Google]
FLAOT.png
319 KB, 985x911
>>
SOMEONE MAKE A FUCKING SERVER
>>
>>337672434
honestly this ruined it so much for me

before that it was just a simple but fun as fuck building game with mild survival elements, which was fucking fun
>>
>>337671829
It may have been fun but "literally best game"? Haha, no. 8/10 at the top.
>>
>>337672542
you will never stop, will you?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (464 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
464 KB, 1920x1080
>>337672492
Forgot to mention the DISGUSTING colors they started using like puke green
>>
YouTube

/thread
>>
>>337672434
I mean, I like the idea of having to eat to regen stamina and etc, but in this case it's just bad balanced and annoying, having to eat every five minutes is just a hassle.
And the mods to remove it are always either broken or not compatible with the latest update.
>>
>>337671829
>It was literally the best game in existence
Retards like you with no standards started buying it.
>>
File: 1454196962907.png (53 KB, 1128x418) Image search: [Google]
1454196962907.png
53 KB, 1128x418
>>337672434
>>337672383
>>337672492
>itt: what is creative mode
>>
Nothing. The community picked it up from the ashes and polished the diamond. 186 mods later and you've got a fantastic game. Some servers are worthwhile even with just a few mods.

Now, where's the next-gen minecraft, made by a professional company?
>>
Lack of direction. Needed a more cohesive vision driving its development. With each patch came more inane shit that didn't really seem to fit in with the rest of the game.

Is it about building? Survival? Spelunking? Redstone autism?

Perhaps a game could have been made with all of these working in unison, but Minecraft didn't really do it well.
>>
>>337671829
it was never good
>>
>>337672725
I'd like to build some stuff and explore caves and such without no-clip and without having to fucking eat every 5 minutes. It's fun to explore caves and getting lost because of the amounts of multiple paths that can occour so I make signs that tell me what leads where and wall of certain places so it's easier to keep track off

I can still do the same, but every 2 minutes the game bug me with: "you havn't eaten for quite a while, how would you like to have ½ a heart left?"
>>
>>337672542
explain
>>
>>337672854
mods then
in this day and age if you aren't modding your minecraft you're practically wearing a giant sign over your head stating your age is in the single digits
>>
File: Besiege.jpg (69 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
Besiege.jpg
69 KB, 900x720
>>337671829
My problem with Minecraft is that, rather than adding more tools to allow players to show their creativity, they instead added more premade bits such as "collect 3 wither skulls to make a wither head to go to the wither".

It's like if Lego, instead of releasing generic bits you could form into anything, only focused on making specific parts for specific sets that tie into an existing idea, like they do today.
>>
>>337672925
>game needs mods to be enjoyable
What is this, a Bethesda game?
>>
>>337672897
ultra newfag
>>
>>337672725
It takes out all the fun aspects of Minecraft though
You know why it was fun to build houses and farm and random pixel art? Because you had to work for it. You didn't just get everything handed to you, you actually had to invest time and effort and you were rewarded for your hard work by achieving your goal
There was a huge sense of accomplishment for your effort and after that since you probably built it around your house, so you constantly pass trough it and with time it starts feeling like a natural part of the world
>>
SOMEONE
>MAKE
A
>SERVER
NOW
...please?
>>
>>337672925
Probably. But this thread is discussing what is bad about current minecraft. Which would mean vanilla. Which is the hunger meter
>>
>>337672978
I'm an ultra oldfag, am I right bazinga? xD
>>
>>337672492
Yeah you right, I think I just associated the hunger mechanic with combat because of how it affected health regen. The villages and other prebuilt shit was also a terrible idea. The little dungeons with spawners were fine because they were rare and out of the way, creating a certain mystery, while villages you just stumble across every time you go over a hill
>>
>>337672976
worse
it took them nearly a decade to fix boats in vanilla, and even then it was the pocket edition devs who had to get off their asses and do it
and that's just the tip of the iceberg
>>
> kids
> youtube
> meme
> youtube
>>
>>337671829
The middle-game is still lacking and it lacked an end-game.

Any difficulty or challenge to it, even tweaked, is in the first day or two of playing, when you're trying to find enough materials to assemble a respectable base from which you can start manufacturing.

The problem is, there's almost no point to it beyond that. Everything you can do, from constructing huge castles to elaborate redstone machines, serves no purpose other than for the pleasure of building it.
>>
>>337673015
I would but for me its like playing any "classic" game (e.g. oldschool RS), fun at first but then you realize you've done it all before so many times. It's just lost its charm at this point.
>>
>>337673035
yeah you are
asking float guy to explain his methods to you is literally the dead giveaway that you're a mega newfag and also retarded
can't meme yourself out of this one pal
>>
>>337672897
he was going to ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________rtfm
>>
File: Doubt 2.jpg (75 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
Doubt 2.jpg
75 KB, 700x467
>>337671829
Shit attracted flies

And the Turd party is still going.
>>
why does it run like shit anyway? back in beta 1.5 it ran well even on a shitty old laptop, now even a hex-core xeon isn't enough for 60fps
>>
>>337673112
They should've added more achievements earlier to be honest, that's a pretty good indicator to what you should be doing next
>>
>>337673205
"Ultra" and "Mega", what's next my fellow redditor, hyper newfag? :^)
>>
I host a Minecraft alpha server that has 50 people on it at any given time. No plugins, just vanilla Minecraft.
>>
>>337673308
>They should've added more achievements
>having achievements at all
Literally what is the point, I chop down a tree and get a meaningless "getting wood XD" achievement. Why?
>>
>>337673112
this. even a mud hut serves the same purpose as a castle, so what's the point? the survival aspect of the game is a joke and the hunger mechanic is just plain annoying.
>>
>>337673405
>Literally what is the point
So it's not just a sandbox with no reason to do anything
Why would you build a farm if it wasn't for the achievements? You could just kill random pigs and you didn't need to eat often in beta
>>
>>337673405
Do achievements still reset every time you reinstall the game?

>>337673486
>So it's not just a sandbox with no reason to do anything
And achievements are the solution to this?
How can anyone be this fucking retarded.
>>
What I don't understand is how it's made so much god damned money. Despite not being a huge fan of the game, I understand the appeal of minecraft, it's a neat little sandbox for people of all ages. But what I can't understand is how an obscure game made by one guy with no marketing has become the most popular vidya in the world and a pop culture phenomenon that's made billions of dollars.

Did Notch just work out a deal with Satan or what's the go?
>>
>>337673901
Minecraft has no point.

You simply go at it and build things. Like you would with lego blocks.

It's popular because it's both well made, and people enjoy that sort of thing.

It also has a pretty fantastic mod community, and continued developer support.

It really is that simple.
>>
>>337672097
Autism also killed it
>>
>>337673901
What's not to understand? It's literally LEGO, except instead of burning a lifetime's worth of money on pieces, you pay about 30 dollars (that's how much the game goes for these days, right?) and you never have to pay again. And it also doesn't take up space and there's no pieces lying around to clean up when your kid's done playing.
>>
>>337674075
>minecraft
>well made
loool
>>
Fear not, OP, there's Terrafirmacraft to get some more bang for your autism buck.

>hunger and thirst not as intrusive, don't do damage to you
>actual progression, start out knapping like some cave bitch and doing pottery and work your way up to measly metal nuggets and finally mining
>can do shit like breeding animals and doing agriculture, both have some advanced mechanics in play
>fuckton of minerals, creator took inspiration from dorf fort
>dank as fuck new world gen
>every task gives a sense of achievement

I'm going to shill the FUCK of it because I fucking loved it.
>>
>>337672627
Does anybody uses the fucking ugly swamp biome?
It doesn't seems comfy to build at all.
>>
>>337674562
i do

i rp as a hermit wizard on our rp server
>>
>>337674547
TFC is fun until you progress through the metal tiers, then it's literally just a boring as fuck "+1 betterness than the last ore"
>>
>>337674547
seems more like autismcraft to me
>>
>>337674767
Eh, at that point you can branch into more stuff, like actual building of something that isn't a wooden shack. Gotta admit, excitement falls off somewhat, but then you just gotta rest from all the metalwork for a while.

Also I found it's a lot more fun in multiplayer.

>>337674776
Precisely.
>>
This thread reminds me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYB4v8uThXc
>>
I used to play Tekkit Classic back in MC 1.2.5. I liked IndustrialCraft particularly.

what's the best similar modpack these days?
>>
File: kek.png (521 KB, 600x520) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
521 KB, 600x520
>>337674963
>>
>>337671829
It is fun for what it is. It's objectively more entertaining while you're stoned as it isn't very hard and creativity is to be capitalized on. I like to play on Survival and enjoy the since of progression in a foreign world; it is fun to form the world around you. The music is pretty comfy and the overall atmosphere oozes relaxation. It could be more optimized for my taste and I would enjoy it more but it is what it is and it is bretty gud.
>>
WHO TEAM AVOLITION HERE
>>
>>337671829

Endermen

Endermen was the fucking turning point.

it went from generally enjoyable little simple sandbox/survival game to "LOL EPIC MEME WELCOME TO YOGSCAST YOLO MAGIC SLENDER MAN AND SLENDER DRAGON OMG IM 12 AND WHAT IS THIS?!
"
>>
File: 1276652287553.jpg (34 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
1276652287553.jpg
34 KB, 500x389
>>337674963
>>
It was a nice alpha for a game that was killed from early access. They started making billions from an unfinished game, and thus didn't actually finish it. I'm still amazed that this game has such a successful physical release in it's current state.

Mode are what make it worth playing, otherwise it's just lego with no sense of progression or accomplishment. I'm currently playing though Gregtech. Just smelted my first bit of steel without even having begun to touch electronics.
>>
>>337672156
>dose
Thanks, doc.
>>
File: 1345257674777.jpg (69 KB, 497x371) Image search: [Google]
1345257674777.jpg
69 KB, 497x371
>>337674606
>i rp as a hermit wizard
Well, I remember something similar happening in a server a while back.
Not much of rp, but we divided in groups and stablished in what biomes certain groups could build.
Me and my group got a medium desert and savanna, pretty much all of my group was somewhat pissed because "barely any trees", "most mobs are only hostile useless mobs" and "all I want to build will look bad on this biome".
So I stop their bullshit and said something like: YOU SEE, IT IS TRUE THAT, WHILE ALL THE OTHER GROUPS HAVE ALREADY BEAUTIFUL LANDSCAPES WITH FOREST, RIVERS AND THEIR HORSES, WE GOT STUCK ON A DESERT AND OUR SAVANNA BARELY HAS ANY TREES, BUT THATS WHY IN THE END, WE'RE GOIN TO BE BETTER THAN THEM, THEY'RE GOIN TO DESTROY THEIR LANDSCAPES AND THEIR FORESTS, WE'RE GOIN TO TURN OURS EMPTY DESERTS INTO BEAUTIFUL CITIES THAT WILL HAVE BOTH HAND CRAFTED RIVERS AND FORESTS.
And god damn that was a nice city of sandstone built on the empty savanna.
That's the way I like to play minecraft now, only empty biomes and against all odds.
>>
>What went wrong with Minecraft?

shifted from the lightnin-in-a-bottle simplicity of survival to a kind of half-baked RPG elements system (spellbooks, dragons, testicle villagers, etc...)

no lying, the first time you played minecraft and had to eke out a living in the midst of a vast wilderness just gave one feels that have never been recaptured. If notch had kept with that, if he had striven to replicate the parts of our minds that are always lying dormant and ready to awaken and make us feel like it's /real/ (that is, if he'd given us more rituals that you actually have to do if you're innawoods, if he'd made it more real), then the game would've been a lot better than it is now.
>>
>>337672310
join 2b2t

it's the only place where fun's still allowed
>>
>>337674547
>>337674776
TFC is exactly what I first thought MC would eventually end up to be when I played it back in the day.

That reminds me I gotta get a new server going for my friends, haven't played TFC or Minecraft for that matter in a long while.
>>
>>337671829
What's actually meant to keep you involved in MineCraft? I played for a while, set up a small little self sustaining house and area, but then it seemed like there was really nothing to do or worth exploring once I did that.
>>
Its shit.
It is incredible barebones and you have to make your own fun by doing stupid shit.
So may things are half finished and boring.

It is literally on of those "Its fun with X!" games, whether it be friends of mods.
It is pace of shit that needs others to make it tolerable
>>
>>337676740
It's supposed to be one of those 'make your own fun' type of games. If you don't get inspired to do something with the tools given to you then you better play something else.
>>
>>337673574
Achievements were good because they gave you a hint about what you should be doing next, as opposed to just going to a wiki and reading a step for step guide about what to do. They gave you a vague idea from a picture and name about what to aim for, so you didn't have to follow a guide all the time. Though not being able to find out recipes in game was fucking retarded, and meant you had to use wikis anyway, spoiling the fun of discovery.

Thaumcraft does it better with its research system.
>>
2b2t server is the best fucking survival mmo
>>
>>337676878
>make your own fun

Like what?
>>
>>337671829
It got popular, so now you hate it
>>
>>337677676
Someone finds fun in building golden cocks, other in autistic castles, redstone machines and shit like that. If the tools don't tickle your brain to do shit then you one braindead motherfucker.
>>
>>337677959
>If the tools don't tickle your brain to build golden cocks then you one braindead motherfucker.

Eat a dick cunt
>>
>>337675936
It had a physical release?
>>
>>337678449
He's right though
>>
Someone make a server.
>>
>>337678532
Go ahead
>>
>>337677946
*It got shit.
Someone wants to join me on 2b2t?
>>
>>337671829
Basically it being too simple, if it was more in depth, like a 3d dwarf fortress i'd be endlessely playing minecraft
>>
>>337678580
Anyone?
>>
>>337678529
>He's right though

No, he isn't. MineCraft is fucking dead, exploring and building isn't stimulating in the slightest because there's nothing worth finding over the horizon.
>>
>>337677946
Yeah, totally nothing to do with stupid design choices and whatnot. It's the popularity that matters.
>>
>>337671829
It started when the added The End, which was a schizphrenic, unfinished mess with a boss that was hugely broken and not fixed for months.

Then they "released" the game but there was no difference between beta and release version -- they even continued to update the game as if it was a beta still. Instead of working on something big like Minecraft 2.0, you had Minecraft 1.37.4 or whatever, which added just as many bugs as it claimed to fix, week in, week out.

tl;dr not enough focus on the right things
>>
Has Microsoft earned back the 2.5 billion yet? Are we getting Minecraft 2 exclusive for Xbone soon??
>>
File: 1453759797124.jpg (246 KB, 752x752) Image search: [Google]
1453759797124.jpg
246 KB, 752x752
>>337671829
The magic wears off once you realize how everything works in the game.
>>
>>337671829

They focused too much on adding questy shit when they should have just been adding more building materials/blocks

Pretty retarded, when you think the whole reason people loved it was to build things
>>
>>337674963
>pizdets, pizdets.. PIZ~.. pi-i-IZDETS!!!

Gets me every time.
>>
File: goodtimes.jpg (592 KB, 1440x788) Image search: [Google]
goodtimes.jpg
592 KB, 1440x788
>>337671829
They changed the texture of the grass that's when i dropped the game.
>>
File: 1418451924276.gif (1 MB, 234x280) Image search: [Google]
1418451924276.gif
1 MB, 234x280
>>337679120
>Bowie with a Pompadour
If you arent going to look up why people say Bowie is in Part 4, why the fuck would you make some shitty image
>>
>>337671829
I like some of the mods. A good game to spend a week or two playing then forgetting it exists for months.
>>
>>337671829
Focus on ADVENTURE instead of building.
Remember that dungeon crawler mode they talked about years ago? That's the main game now.
>>
File: 13962316331735.jpg (2 MB, 1512x3642) Image search: [Google]
13962316331735.jpg
2 MB, 1512x3642
>>337679821
>implying bowie isn't everyone
>>
>>337673037
There's an ingame setting (no mods) to remove them from world generation before creating a world
>>
>>337672030
Is the "Woo, /v/!" thing still in or did they start denying it long ago?
>>
>>337680015
have your image collected enough straws to weave a noose for you?
>>
>>337679938
No it isn't. The dungeons are thousands of blocks apart and annoying to find - stack up those endermen eyes and get ready for annoyance! Most of them are very deep in the ground or ocean, when it would be much cooler to see an entrance above-ground than digging your way in to a random location in it. It's more annoying than anything, and the world generation itself can wreck a dungeon because the dungeons aren't generated last like they should be, and a lot of times are just a fucking mess, sometimes without a portal at all. And, aside from silverfish, there are no real traps to speak of...
>>
>>337673298
Java
>>
>>337679558
This. The first Halloween update broke this game beyond repair.
>>
File: tired of kids.png (66 KB, 203x208) Image search: [Google]
tired of kids.png
66 KB, 203x208
>>337673015
>playing with /v/

This board ruined minecraft for itself by intentionally being as edgy as possible. Griefing, spawn killing, DDOS'ing servers after you get banned for being a unlikeable cunt. You think that's what the game is about, all chaos all the time, but not everyone likes to play that way. You're literally as autistic as the community you make fun of.

t. someone who was in the original threads when notch started here.
>>
>>337680414
Doubt Microsoft wants to affiliate itself with a known hangout for pedophiles, terrorists and misogynists like 4chan (which /v/ is a subboard of), so I'm pretty sure it's gone.
>>
>>337680774
it was written in Java back then too
>>
IMO nothing. Every fanbase has that one stepchild but I still play on a PvP faction server with friends and it's awesome. We got economy and trade set up we got games and battles. Also sometimes it's fun to go back and play solo.
>>
>>337680414

It got changed to "Woo, reddit!"
>>
>>337681015
But back then it wasn't noticeable at all because of how small it was. The world size was still massive but there was much much more repetition, now there's like 1000 biomes or something and tons of shitty items so it's become completely bloated and Java just exacerbates it
>>
>>337681087
there was always a reddit one too
>>
>>337671829
the biomes are shit and boring and the world generation is too tame

what they should have done is gone full fantasy, and had magical crystal forest biomes and skeleton crypts and enchanted castles but at the same time also have bigger enemies later on in the game

also too much of a focus on shitty survival mechanics like hunger and a relatively pointless crafting system for shit like potions
also the combat sucked
>>
>>337672897
Summer is here at last
>>
>>337671829
Well, when it was indev-beta, it was marketed as a game for people who either wanted to survive or create shit with java.

Enter: The Console.
Now it's literally marketed as a game for kids. I dont really blame them because it garnered such a huge audience, though a highly autistic one at that. Ex. Minecon lmao

Also the constant spam of lets play videos, over and over again. ded gaem.
>>
I've been playing it since 2010 and I still think it's pretty good. and fun to play, I dunno what everyone is so butthurt about.
>>
It's half finished and looks like shit
if microsoft finished it the autistic fanbase would sperg out
>not muh minecraft
>>
File: castle 1.png (413 KB, 820x573) Image search: [Google]
castle 1.png
413 KB, 820x573
>>337672138
this. the base game, what was the free version back when it was new- was the best version. limited map size meant you had to build mindfully, no darkness, no gimmicks, you see that mess of lava blocks and gold blocks? that's a chandelier.

see that 4x4 of tree blocks? that's a door.

there was actual creativity involved since EVERYTHING was blocks.

some serverware had custom shit, creepers were just a green block on top of a tnt block, zombies were a green block on a mossy cobble block, fish were colored wool blocks,

shit was just literally legos.

then they tried to make it an RPG. they added hunger, which was the first misstep, and then it was downhill from there.

>tfw I lost the data for my old creative server

it hurts. still the best time I ever had with minecraft
>>
>>337671829
>What went wrong with Minecraft? It was literally the best game in existence, so simple, yet so fun
>It was so simple, yet so fun
>so simple
>yet so fun
>was

You answered your own question OP.
>>
>>337671829
Adventure Update killed it

One of the last updates until it was released as a "full game." It made Minecraft more realistic for no reason with things like hunger. I don't know why in such an unrealistic game they wanted to make it more life like, especially considering they added things like enchantments in the same update.

That, and Mojang gave up trying. I mean, they straight up started adding mods to vanilla. After that, there were hardly any updates, and they just said it was a full game. They could have added much more, but just shoved it out.
>>
>>337671829
youtube
>>
>>337672976
Even with mods it's an absolute clusterfuck, I remember getting this one that seemed cool that was a "skyblock" thing (you start on a small platform and have to build your own world basically), but it was filled to the brim with stupid, pointless quests for absolutely everything.
>Want to make some blocks
>Need to do a quest
>Want to craft an item
>Need to get ingredients for the recipe from a quest
They weren't even fun, it was just shit like "combine these things to make something else". Also every time Mojang releases a major update it breaks most mods, and I think a lot of good modders have given up and moved on.
>>
>>337679558
This pic made me nostalgia hard.
I started playing Minecraft while it was still in alpha and was only playable through the website. Survival mode wasn't a thing, there weren't even mobs then. I spent an afternoon just building houses and statues and stuff. Just me alone on that island (the map was incredibly small back then). It was one of my comfiest gaming experiences.
>>
>>337676262
Now I wanna play on a desert biome only map
>>
>>337671829
As updates went on, devs showed a refusal to add anything that made the core experience more interesting (more variety in enemies, resources, animals, etc.) and instead focused on game-altering mechanics that had no place in the original product (hunger, more copypasted pre-built temple types, etc.)
>>
>>337671829

"literally the best game in existence" is a bit much but even though I hate survival build a house games, I can't ignore that minecraft is one of those games that let people go wild with creativity (kinda like TF2 custom maps) though the 12 year olds are a problem
>>
>>337671957
>fanbase.
This.

it was a fine game when Noch used to post here, but now he went full retard.
>>
>>337671957
The fanbase doesn't make the combat spam clicking a single button. Game's awful.
>>
The feel of the first day and building your first comfy home is amazing.

Building comfy structures is where the game is fun, trying to make the comfiest things you can.

Sitting in a comfy house while it rains still gets those feels.
>>
I don't know where it went wrong, but playing the in-browser version was pretty fun.

Remember when servers were finite? You'd spawn in and the spawn would be a fucking wreck. As you explored outwards to the edges, digging and climbing, you'd come across the relics of older buildings. Maybe you'd dig down and drop into the remains a house that has long since been burried by a new layer of Earth and newer buildings. A big, old server was a fucking treasure trove. A maze of overlapping, intertwined structures. Sometimes you'd come across people tucked away in their own little underground bunkers, building their own little home away from the roaming griefers.

I think focusing the gameplay on survival was the biggest mistake.
>>
It's a game for kids, why do you hate it so much? Back when we were kids, Lego was the best shit ever, don't deny it. And Minecraft is just digital Lego.
>>
>>337685861
it wasn't always a game for kids, even though it now is marketed as such
>>
File: 296.jpg (29 KB, 385x376) Image search: [Google]
296.jpg
29 KB, 385x376
>>337671829
Failure to integrate fanbases.

The autists built shit, the casuals wanted to walk around, fight monsters, and get loot or the materials to make loot. There's that clear distinction between people who build small, functional stuff as a means to continue exploring/fighting/whatever and the people building fucking Castlevania in 12 hour poopsock sessions.

Minecraft never brought the two together. While people were modding crazy shit in and building giant fuckoff dungeons full of trains planes and plantains, the devs just looked at that as the autists taking care of themselves, and lazily added some meager monsters and loot for the casuals.

In some crazy alternate universe where Minecraft has functional mod tools and the devs tried to use the autists as content creators for the casuals, people would still be playing the shit out of it. It's lame to "play" unless you're five because there's no content there except what you build yourself. If it was designed around pulling other people's shit into your generated world, then the game would have an adult playerbase outside the rare good MP server.
>>
>>337671829
You explore but find nothing. Terraria did everything better.
>>
>>337689386
You're supposed to find interesting locations to build, but world generation has only regressed with time, replaced with biome after biome of generic land.
>>
>>337689386
They never really tried with the exploration side of the game.

There're a few static structures that are pregenerated now.

There's nothing modular, each desert/jungle/ocean temple is exactly the same.
>>
It was fun when I was on a friend's server with my friends in high school, and all we did was have faction wars and build shit all day.

I wasn't much of a building guy, more of an exploring guy though. But as >>337689386 exploring got old pretty quickly, especially since the whole mapping system was annoying as fuck.
>>
>>337680948
just because george soros floods online communities with filth doesnt mean everyone else self-identifies by that filth

it just means that a loser wasted his life
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.