[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHat went right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8
File: CivIVboxshot.jpg (55 KB, 352x500) Image search: [Google]
CivIVboxshot.jpg
55 KB, 352x500
WHat went right?
>>
Comfy stone age music
>>
>What went right?
This:
https://youtu.be/IJiHDmyhE1A
>>
City maintenance system is literally perfect. 0 flaws whatsoever.

All 20 civics are viable except for serfdom.
it's just the best
>>
>>337665087
>tfw you can win reliably on immortal
>>
>>337665087
The depth to improving the land that cottages provide, and the amazing commerce slider; challenging Deity difficulty; combat that the AI can handle decently; much better balanced units than V. It's great.
>>
>>337665087
You can build more than 5 cities without crippling your empires.
>>
>>337666842
This broken-ass game is not more balanced than Civ 5. Overflow, slavery, oracle slingshot - Name one exploit in Civ 5.
>>
It had good mods to fix the shitty boring vanilla game
>>
>>337665269
Let's be fair here, civ5 theme is much better
>>
>>337666963
I was talking about units - learn to read. Ranged units, especially the archer, btfo everything else in V. Also, Oracle slingshot is not that great.
>>
>>337667194
Confirmed for not having played the game, archery units are completely worthless against knights and cavalry.
>>
>>337667119
You are the first person I've seen here who thought that
>>
Balanced, easy to learn, hard to master (on your own).
>>
>>337667194
I never lose on Deity when I use almost exclussively ranged units. In fact, it's extremely easy. If you think differently, you might be a scrub.
>>
>>337667840
Well, this was a few years ago. Admittedly, they may have patched things up.
>>
File: 56d.jpg (46 KB, 1674x854) Image search: [Google]
56d.jpg
46 KB, 1674x854
>>337665269
>Civ VII
>Trump Wall added as a new wonder
>>
>>337668915
>American UB is a wall which unlocks in Future Tech
>It's just +15 defense
>>
>>337666963
How the fuck is the oracle and slavery exploits?

And overflow is in Civ V too you fucking mongoloid

How low is your IQ? Serious question, I wanna know how dumb you have to be to make this post.
>>
File: 0.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>337669275
>And overflow is in Civ V too you fucking mongoloid

How embarassing 4u
>>
>>337669468
Leave it to the casuals who play Civ V to spend fucking hours building shit in their cities to not notice that excess hammers are overflowing to their next production. Idiot.
>>
Doomstacks are just better. They reduce micromanagement that the player is forced to handle while also letting the AI wage war more or less decently. Then you also have the issue that it does not force the reduction in research speed.
>>
>>337667119

The original Civ5 theme is nice to listen to, but the BnW theme is something I've heard so many times waiting for my mods to load that I've grown sick of it.
>>
>>337669580

While some might have considered that doom stack a problem, it doesn't come close the the problem that 1UPT creates - a clusterfuck of not being able to navigate your units where you want them.
>>
>>337665087
A good, balanced and feature rich turn-based strategy game (especially with expansions). Literally the only thing lacking in that game for me was the option to forcefully occupy other player's tiles. Cultural based borders work and make sense in early game, but later, when you need precious resources it becomes annoying. How many times I had an iron, or uranium mine on a border with someone and he got it for free because muh cultural influence.

That said, I enjoyed the game much more than V. I bought V on sale like 4 years ago and played it not long after finishing 1000th game in IV. For fucks sake, Firaxis

- no espionage
- no religion
- one unit/tile limit
- zero improvements in AI
- dumb muh free cities mechanic

Not to mention a shitload of bugs and crashes.Very disappointing game that scrapped some of the most important features of IV, and now VI will do literally the same with V.

I hope normies enjoy their Clash of Clans rip off, I will keep playing Civ IV.
>>
>>337671897
the religion they added in gods & kings is so bad too. only the shrine for the initial pantheon is worth the hammer investment. everything afterward is nowhere near worth the opportunity cost of getting all that faith generation up. just hope the AI spread a religion with good beliefs to you, and even then it's underwhelming
>>
>>337672837

They had sort of the right idea with Religion over the bore it was in IV, but you're right in that most of the religious buildings that were very situational, and structures like the temple cost too much to produce during the periods where they'd actually be useful, and by the time they're feasible to build you've got better means of generating faith.
>>
File: fairies_demo.jpg (72 KB, 468x669) Image search: [Google]
fairies_demo.jpg
72 KB, 468x669
>>337665087

Fairies.
>>
>>337665087
They didn´t start with the mindset to make the game as simple as possible to make it more appealing to people who couldn´t handle it otherwise.
>>
>>337674521

aaaah yes this.

Civ was fun before it became a normie game.
>>
File: kaneko hell yeah.gif (79 KB, 640x500) Image search: [Google]
kaneko hell yeah.gif
79 KB, 640x500
>>337665087

The modding scene

There was even a 4chan mod.

http://www.moddb.com/downloads/civ4chan
>>
>>337666396
actually serfdorm is my preferable policy until late game
>>
>>337671897
I see city states as improvment over barbarian cities you can't intract with. They do well simulating role of irrelevant countries that can survive only by balancing between big countries.
>>
>>337666396
Serfdom is really good for expansion, especially if you're a warlike civ that benefits from the Spiritual trait. You can switch to Serfdom during any slowdown or 10 turn treaty and fix up a recently taken city in no time.
>>
>>337670236
TEEEEERRRRRAAAAAA NOOOOOVVVUUUMMM
>>
>>337666963
Slavery is a tool to trade early game pop and happiness, which are the most important things for a city early game, for production. You can't "cheat" slavery, but you can carefully micromanage overflow and pop raises to run things efficiently. This is how Civ 4 allows micromanagement to exist in the early game, otherwise the game would just be smashing enter 500 times until you get to the fun parts. How is this an exploit?
>>
How the fuck do I even get good at Civ 5? Normal difficulty is too easy and then after that the next difficulty up is nearly impossible, they always beat me out in everything. Is there some method of playing in missing out on?
>>
>>337670236
>>337677512

I've always hated it. I dread starting up Civ 5. I just click into the game as fast as I can to make it stop.

I miss Baba Yetu.
>>
>>337678937

Well the next level difficulty allows the AI to cheat heavily, which means that they will always be able to grab those early wonders before you can even dream about them.

But as your Civilization expands you can ramp up your production / Science, etc so that it eventually outperforms the AI even with cheating.

It's a shitty way to make the game harder, but apparently programming the AI to beat you fairly and intelligently is an impossible task.
>>
>>337665087

>Multiple units per tile
>No city states clogging up space
>It's not V
>>
>>337677319
the difference: barbarian cities are actually worth taking and you don't get punished for it.
>>
>>337678937
all you have to do in civ v up to emperor is build 3 settlers then click end turn while prioritizing science techs until you win the game

once you get to immortal you have to start optimizing your build, but no strategy comes in to play.
>>
>>337680436
right, warmongering bullshit
it's been a long time since I played unmodded V
>>
Why people hate 1upt?
best thing that happened with series since borders
>>
>>337682402
>AI can't use it
>carpets are stupid
>moving any larger number of units is pain in ass
>stacks could be fixed simply by giving siege weapons ranged attacks and leaving rest to collaterial damage
>>
>>337679037
You know, you can always go in to the game files and replace the start up music.
>>
>>337682402
It never solved the problem with doomstacks, which isn't the stacks themselves but the way you can simply mass units and walk over people because they didn't hit the flat wall of research and production that allowed them to get a full military tech ahead of you and then produce enough smaller elite units to conquer your shitty mass horde. It tried to slow things down to allow tech rushes an advantage by forcing a single unit per tile, which does nothing to actually halt a mass swarm of shit, merely turn into a zombie like blanket horde of death that the AI can't handle.
>>
Civ 3 was better
>>
File: 1442173894761.jpg (26 KB, 500x205) Image search: [Google]
1442173894761.jpg
26 KB, 500x205
>>337665269
>be 12
>hear this for the first time
>mfw
>>
I honestly think that Civ IV will remain timeless.
>>
>play Civ5 on Emperor
>wage war against two equal opponents
>np
>they plant their archers next to my knights
>their knights next to my pikement
>run up with a swordsman directly adjecent to a city withtout attacking
>leaving (multiple) siege units exposed

the only real problem with Civ5 was the combat AI
>>
>>337683331

>Those godawful corruption mechanics
>>
>>337665269
Warlords main theme is better
>>
>>337683908
isn't inflation pretty much the same? It just reduces income gold, instead if increasing spendings, end result is same
>>
>tfw sank hundreds of hours in GalaCiv 2 and SMAC but never finished a single game of Civilization
Why is Civ lategame so fucking boring
>>
>>337666963
>>337666963
>smart play is exploits
No wonder you like snoozefest that is Civ 5
>yeah just press next turn and watch the bar fill up top tier gameplay right here

>>337667375
Woah some units are better or worse against other units THIS GAME IS BROKEN FIX THIS !!!
>>
>>337685008
no lol
inflation is marginal. corruption and waste destroy the commerce and production of a city.
>>
>>337682993

yeah i've considered doing it. but at the end of the day I'm just too lazy.

Easier to just click past the annoying song.
>>
File: this.gif (987 KB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
this.gif
987 KB, 200x180
>>337665269
There will never be a video game song that surpasses this.
>>
V punishes you for making the wrong decisions, IV allows you to fuck up and move a slider bar to get back on track as if a miracle happened at one point in time. You retards just have a micromanagement fetish and believe that if a game is more micromanageable it's "better" and more "complex"... stupid fucks.
>>
>>337682853
>stacks could be fixed simply by giving siege weapons ranged attacks and leaving rest to collaterial damage

don't they have ranged attacks already?
>>
>>337686065
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLd5eabSJ3g
>>
>>337687065
There are no interesting decisions to be made in V, ever. It's just a game about filling buckets.

By 'wrong decisions' do you mean not picking tradition and rationalism? Some people lke having more interesting decisions to make and adapting to the game rather than following a build order
>>
File: 1462259461448.jpg (296 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462259461448.jpg
296 KB, 1920x1080
>>337668915
>>
>>337687767
>Some people
that's the point, the games are different. Yes, V is about planing ahead, not having a handful of shit to pick to do, in V you must go into your game looking forwards and keeping a plan. Fuck powergamers btw, they break the games for themselves.
>>
>>337688323
That defeats the purpose of the random map 4x genre. Civ V completely defies the spirit of civ by having easy bake strategies/builds that work regardless of map/situation, and awfully designed civs with UAs that pigeonhole you into one VC. Whats' the point of playing a game all around executing a plan when executing it isn't a challenge? I can understand build orders in RTS-- there's mechanical skill involved and you have to deal with being harassed. But in a turn-based game, the skill is all in making decisions and adapting, not the actual execution of the decisions, which is trivial. So when you have a pre-built plan like that, you might as well have a bot playing for you.
>Fuck powergamers btw, they break the games for themselves.
It's civ V's fault for being a powergamey game.

>Fuck powergamers btw, they break the games for themselves.
>>
>>337688849
>That defeats the purpose of the random map 4x genre.
why... what's so blasphemous about wanting to play the random map the way you want to play it and making your plan work despite the surrounding circumstances, you say it's gonna be "too easy" at a standard difficulty?? so everything in gaming is about challenge?? you see m8? you forget some people like to have fun with their games and are not seeking for a clusterfuck of choices.

Maybe IV's flaw is exactly that, that the standard difficulty is NOT friendly and balanced at all unless you play how the game wants you to play...

Having an idea and taking it to the end the way you want to do it can be pretty challenging, complex and fun in V, IV is great game, but you can't say IV is the better game because "some people" prefer it to play games that offer you "x" and "y".
>>
>>337690451
>the way you want to play it
Because there only one way to play in the civ5
>>
>>337690451
>why... what's so blasphemous about wanting to play the random map the way you want to play it and making your plan work despite the surrounding circumstances
One of the major things that makes civ fun is the unpredictability and replayability from the map generator. In civ V, the same strat will work almost every time regardless of map, so it's pointless.
>you see m8? you forget some people like to have fun with their games and are not seeking for a clusterfuck of choices.
taking away choices only makes the game less fun
>Maybe IV's flaw is exactly that, that the standard difficulty is NOT friendly and balanced at all unless you play how the game wants you to play...
? you just said Civ IV has TOO MANY choices, now you're saying it forces you to play a certain way? If you want to know what it is it o be forced to play a certain way, play Civ V on deity and immortal, and see how little options you have.
>Having an idea and taking it to the end the way you want to do it can be pretty challenging
executing a cookie cutter bucket filling sequence isn't very challenging. Like I said, in a turn-based game, execution is trivial; all of the challenge comes from making good decisions.
>>
>>337691370
>you're saying it forces you to play a certain way?
it does, but you're forced to react to events in a way it doesn't feel you have any freedom at all, what's the poinbt of having all these choices if you're not going to be able to carry them for periods of time...
>the game less fun
for people like you
>deity and immortal
all max difficulties in all games are made for compulisve players, powergamers... don't give a shit about clicking that option.

In the end the things is V is a more balanced game than IV ever was, I'm talking about standard difficulties. It allows you to have an idea of what you want to see in the world and taking that to the grid, it can be done, IF you have planned your shit rightand plan ahead, during the game.

IV does not allow you that, at a standard difficulty you have to do exactly what you're forced to do by the game itself... you have many options, but they mean shit, you just have to race against whatever the other civs are doing for the "points". Fun you say?
>>
>>337692337
LOL
at the difficulties you're playing, you can do literally whatever the fuck you want and just win for free, you're not forced to do much of anything. At difficulty levels that are high enough to give a good player a chance of losing, your options are much more limited in V than IV.

You don't have to 'race' against shit if you're not playing a high difficulty. The AI is too slow to touch you
>>
>>337692337
>for people like you

You mean the people who were enjoying all the previous Civ games whilst you were busy playing Space Jam: the Game?
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.