[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any games where taking damage is essential to gameplay?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: lo-seth-balmore-face.jpg (77 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
lo-seth-balmore-face.jpg
77 KB, 700x900
Are there any games where taking damage is essential to gameplay?
>>
>>337649349
Mario games where you need to be small to get to some areas.
>>
>>337649349
Rocket jump, mgs tortures, turn-based rpgs (esp. casting from hp)
>>
>>337649349
PC version when?
>>
>>337650610
never hopefully
>>
You have to die in Baroque at specific areas to progress in the game.

Baroque is weird.
>>
>>337649349
A bunch.

as an example, there's a bunch of really bad euro-developed shoot-em-ups [too many to list] where you outright can't dodge everything that comes your way no matter how good you are because your ship's too big and they use a health-bar system to compensate the fact that you HAVE to get hit
>>
>>337650760
Why? don't want the but hurt from lose an exclusive?
>>337649349
Souls games if you want to use the red tear stone
>>
>>337650928
No, it would be a bad port.
>>
>>337649349
monster hunter if you want sub 3 minute clear times.
>>
>>337649349
Limit breaks in final fantasy vii, although thats not exactly essential. Also games where you are meant to lose at a certain battle or a cutscene is triggered when you take a certain amount of damage.
>>
There's several games, usually RPGs where certain abilities activate at only low health, but I guess that isn't really 'essential.'
>>
Half Life
>>
>>337650880
You mean like in Gradius you weeb shit. Or how about doodoopoo and all those other games with "smart" bombs to compensate for the fact that you HAVE to get hit ;^)
>>
File: 1440781684493.jpg (9 KB, 135x121) Image search: [Google]
1440781684493.jpg
9 KB, 135x121
>>337652963
>gradius
>health bar
>>
>>337653247
It has a shield, aka the ability to take multiple hits without dying, aka the same thing you're associating with bad design.
>>
>>337653507
you say that as if you start with one or that it isnt the most expensive powerup in every game its been in
>>
>>337653809
I didn't say that as if that at all. I don't think you know what the fuck I'm saying as if.
>>
>>337653887
youre arguing that gradius was designed around taking multiple hits despite the shield being the most difficult power up to acquire
>>
>>337654091
Shields are pretty expensive in Tyrian too does it get a pass?
>>
>>337654349
>shield regen
no
>>
How do I get good at Resonance of Fate?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.