[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What bothers you the most about the current gen of video games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 49
File: UsedToBeWithIt.png (354 KB, 496x364) Image search: [Google]
UsedToBeWithIt.png
354 KB, 496x364
What bothers you the most about the current gen of video games?
>>
File: image.png (207 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
image.png
207 KB, 512x384
>more emphasis on things like story/graphics than gameplay
>paid mods
>ads in free versions of mods
>devs hiring modders to fix and create their shit
>mobile gaming taking over
>day 1 dlc rampant
>season passes are popular
>censorship encouraged and defended
>sjw politics forced into games
>games no one wants continue to release
>games people do want are mobile only
>episodic remakes
>games getting more casual and easier
>mid generation "HD" console releases like PS4.5
>japanese companies bowing to western pressure to censor their games
>companies refusing to bring back popular highly requested dead ip's
>more and more games needing a kickstarter
>every game in beta early access for months to years
>VR dead before its even a thing
>ridiculous DRM in games like always online and cutscene streaming
>broken games and bugs and shitty errors disguised and defended as unique game features and art direction (quantum break)
>micro transactions slowly becoming mainstream
>big studios dropping E3
>lets play videos are extremly popular
>more people watching other play games than people actually playing games
>>
>>337640395

Yep, that about nails it.
>>
File: highassunshine.jpg (31 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
highassunshine.jpg
31 KB, 1280x720
>F2P
>Third party currency
>Thing costs 11 dollars, have to buy 15 dollars worth of points
>>
Trying to please everyone. In an effort to court the same audiences, games are becoming more similar, and less original ideas are expressed.
>>
Games can only be high budget triple AAA experiences thats guaranteed to make a profit.

No company wants to spare a few million and make smaller, low risk games. And that does not include mobile.
>>
>>337640395
/thread
>>
>>337640043
Too much style, too little substance.
>>
>>337640395
fucking spot on
>>
File: 1463030136196.png (244 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
1463030136196.png
244 KB, 480x368
>>337640043
How people try to justify amiibo.
>>
The fact that consoles are adopting more and more of PC's bad habits.

Back in the day, consoles were touted as the convenient choice compared to PC games' installations/patching stuff. Nowadays, consoles have just as much bullshit to go through to play your games as PCs used to, while PC games have gotten even easier to acquire and install. Beyond that, consoles have been trying to take on traditionally PC-based genres and delivering half-baked games that don't appeal to the fans on PC who made the genres popular or console users who cannot comprehend how to play the games.
>>
They still exist and people enjoy them instead of hating everything like they should.
>>
>withheld content that is ready at release gets sold for $15 as DLC a month later
>companies make a great game that people love and spend tons of money on, then the long-awaited sequel is overly casualized and soulless to appeal to a wider audience
>>
>>337640395
Pretty much summed it in one post, holy shit
>>
File: 1462490847084.jpg (184 KB, 850x1246) Image search: [Google]
1462490847084.jpg
184 KB, 850x1246
>>337640395
10/10
>>
>>337640726
It has Nintendo written on it.
>>
File: simo.png (329 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
simo.png
329 KB, 512x512
Not really about vidya games just the fact that the tablet generation would rather watch people play video games than play it themselves
>>
File: 1446540078640.gif (81 KB, 182x249) Image search: [Google]
1446540078640.gif
81 KB, 182x249
>>337640395
>>
File: interdasting.jpg (51 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
interdasting.jpg
51 KB, 685x567
>All FPS games have loadouts and iron sights which completely ruin what makes FPS titles fun.
>>
>>337640043
>Twitch
>Let's Plays
>YouTube vidya celebrities.
>>
The death of AA studios.

It seems these days the only releases are from increasingly bloated AAA devs, or understaffed and inexperienced indie devs. There is no middle ground.
>>
>old features like unlockable costumes are locked behind DLC
>console games only have online multiplayer with no local. Online is shut down at the end of the gen.
>Nintendo junking down games with their motion control/gyro/other shit gimmicks
>game sequels adding shit no one asked for (Smash 4 is a prime example.)
>game sequels removing shit/dumbing down
>every game needing to expand to be openbox when it does not suit the genre. (MGSV)
>lack of original ideas
>>
>>337640043
The fact that if push comes to shove, big game companies can make their games more like Monster Hunter Frontier G.

>Buy the game
>Pay to play
>Pay to win
ALL IN ONE!
>>
>>337640043
Mostly the awful business practices by big publishers / studios.

Actual games themselves are fine, save for ones that will be gimped or very incomplete once its servers are down. That's always sad. I like owning complete games that STAY that way, even if it's digital.
>>
File: 1441651373633.jpg (45 KB, 406x304) Image search: [Google]
1441651373633.jpg
45 KB, 406x304
>emphasis on graphics and how many polygons they can cram into a model
>no effort to advance AI behavior
>uninspired and weak gameplay
>quick time events, scripted set pieces instead of organic gameplay
>>
File: back up.gif (984 KB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
back up.gif
984 KB, 320x239
>love JRPGs
>more and more of them dying off
>meanwhile we're likely going to get another 40 FE and Nep games
>>
where mah cheat codes at?
>>
Nothing, really. Wish there were more Final Fantasy Tactics style games but otherwise, things are pretty good.
>>
>>337640043

Homogenization of game mechanics. Damn near every game is slowly converging on one another.

Open world
RPG elements
Over the shoulder third person shooting
With snap to wall cover system
Minor crafting system
Batman combat
Morality system

Every game is slowly turning into a Ubisoft game.
>>
The fact yolandi has not voiced a single character in a game yet i mean come on
>>
>>337640043
There are no risks being taken anymore. The industry is stagnant.
>>
File: 1455919276262.png (16 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1455919276262.png
16 KB, 560x407
>>337640395
>>big studios dropping E3
>>japanese companies bowing to western pressure to censor their games

These are the only two I disagree with or don't see happening. E3 has been a pointless joke for a long time now, and I honestly couldn't care if it was disbanded entirely.

I'd really like to see more diverse or original settings, personally. Doesn't even have to have a lot of world building, just something with a unique aesthetic or art direction.
>>
File: 1448507565008.jpg (134 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1448507565008.jpg
134 KB, 600x600
>paid online for 2/3 of the consoles
>no more great PC games, everything is just a port, or made with multiplats in mind
>QTE cinematics instead of programing solid gameplay mechanics
>buy half a game now, get the rest through season passes or DLC
>pretty western women are no longer allowed in videogames
>remakes, reboots, and more remakes. "Your beloved game franchise is old and shitty. OUR new game must become your new beloved game franchise"
>everything must be AAA or lazy pixel indieshit, there's no in-between
>Steam taking over PC gaming
>Amiibo games
>Twitch, let's players and e-celebs becoming as big as they are now

And this >>337644062 holy shit. Open world and RPG elements are particularly cancerous.
>>
>>337644307
Its been like that since the late 2000s
Although the Souls series might kickstart something
>>
File: 1438973288015.png (136 KB, 500x477) Image search: [Google]
1438973288015.png
136 KB, 500x477
>no noteworthy advancements in vidya AI
>>
>games rely on hype culture to sell a game rather than it being good
>any good new ideas for games are usually dropped or are just indie titles
>people focusing on graphics
>devs that rely on the modding community to make a proper game instead of you know making a proper game
>devs teasing sequels to games
>devs never making sequels
>devs bastardizing old franchises to squeeze out some more money from the casual audience (see battlefront)
>people caring about 60 FPS
>people caring about having a 1080p game
>games being called RPGs when really they're just glorified first person shooters with a little bit of a free roam element
>DLC
>good game devs going under
>EA existing
>sjws
>/pol/
>>
games that aren't challenging, deep, or intricate in any way.
>>
File: 1453525152923.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1453525152923.gif
2 MB, 448x252
forced grind in multiplayer competitive games thank god you don't have to win 100 matches to unlock ryu's dragon punch
microtransactions
"movie games"

i'm an old fucking faggot, but what this guy said: >>337644062

it seems like when i was a kid there was tons of gameplay variation in games, you don't really see that anymore??
>>
>>337644659
>people caring about 60 FPS
What's wrong with wanting a game to feel smooth?
>>
They're all the same with some minor tweaks.
>>
>>337644942

i guess what i mean is people acting like it's a deal breaker for them

when my game is running at 60 FPS i just think "oh hey that's cool" for a second and then just get back to playing it

people (especially those "pc master race XDDD" types) will bitch and whine and moan for hours about how this game is bad due to it being 30 FPS
>>
Dlc. Dlc is the worst thing to come out of games currently. Expansions in older games are not even the same as shit today so don't even compair.

Dlc is not "extra content because we care!". It's a business model designed to make the product produce revenue past it's purchase.
>>
>>337640043
The dearth of exclusively single-player content. Everything is all this online co-op bullshit.
>>
File: Oblivion—Horse_Armor.jpg (58 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
Oblivion—Horse_Armor.jpg
58 KB, 400x224
>>337640043
After mulling it over, I've come to the conclusion that problems are just problems and that the current gen really doesn't have anything to do with it. Companies just want to make money and cause consequences with their mistakes which is true for every industry.

Also I just realized, horse armor is over a decade old now.

Has been for over a month now.

Makes me wonder how many of >>337640395's problems are actually current gen rather than systemic of the industry as a whole.
>>
File: 1462920973993.png (107 KB, 315x432) Image search: [Google]
1462920973993.png
107 KB, 315x432
>>337640043

In general?
DLC

In PS?
>you need a PS plus membership to play online
paying for Fucking Online

I hope that the Ps4K blows up in the face of sony
>>
People talking about video games that get so mad they literally want to kill people over opinions.

Also games now seem really shallow and are used to milk people's shekels and nothing more, basically no fun allowed.
>>
>>337644659
>naming /pol/ even though it hasn't done anything to video games because you're afraid to get labelled as them for calling out SJWs
>>
Game journalism and review sites are a really shitty part of the current generation. Anything even somewhat popular gets a 10/10 with an active defense force created to push down criticism and make fun of people who dislike it (see DmC). And if the game isn't super popular you've got hundreds of articles pointing out how there isn't enough diversity or representation in games, even going so far as to review games poorly for just focusing on gameplay. Normally I wouldn't care, but these days I genuinely believe some of those trends have been influencing game development.

Also the horror genre in this generation. Horror has turned into games with very little interaction, pretentious stories, jumpscare focused gameplay, and rampant early access bullshit. A good example of how fucked it is these days is looking at all the P.T. clones that came out. P.T. was just a teaser, something to show you what Silent Hills was supposed to be about and is setting up to be. It probably wasn't going to be a first-person game with no combat, but it was just a teaser. Despite this people have been copying that gameplay style which completely misses the point. Instead of making games with good gameplay and those themes people just copied the gameplay. Instead of going off the gameplay of something like Silent Hill people are going off the idea, then just making a walking simulator.

The fact that this industry is plagued with stories of games getting shat on for not having enough black people in it or people hyping up a walking simulator with "psychological horror elements" is something I can't deal with. Despite this generation basically jerking itself off over pushing the medium forward all I see are people getting put down for creativity and praised for identical products.
>>
>>337640043
Nintendo prices.

I bought an N3DS and expected to be able to pick up all the 3DS titles I missed out on, only to find out that Nintendo likes to under stock and discontinue games now. Even for flagship franchises like Zelda.
Then I got an even bigger shock when I found out they don't even reduce the price of older titles on the eShop.

That and how they didn't even include a fucking charger with the thing.
Felt like I was being given the finger for not being an early adopter.
>>
The dislike for turn-based JRPGs these days annoys me. After the FFVII Remake got announced people started discussing the change to a more action-focused gameplay style, and I saw lots of people complaining about how turn-based combat is dated or unrealistic. So instead we keep getting JRPGs with shitty action gameplay rather than refining turn-based combat into something that does feel active and interesting.

Thankfully games like Persona 5 and SMTIV: Apocalypse keep refining the gameplay type, but the fact that the FFVII Remake will probably have a weird Kingdom Hearts/FFXV combat system that probably won't be very polished is shit.
>>
Paid online, microtransactions, me aging I feel like I already know pretty much what a game will be like prior to playing it

Like the common tropes in gameplay despite the gimmicks, see Fallout 4 or Watchdogs

Preorder bonuses and day 1 dlc
>>
Needing multiple consoles and online subscriptions to play co-op

Forced grind to encourage microtransactions

Microtransactions are the worst thing from this generation bar none
>>
File: carl.jpg (75 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
carl.jpg
75 KB, 600x404
The fact that I'm aging
>>
File: 1456805464557.png (139 KB, 917x871) Image search: [Google]
1456805464557.png
139 KB, 917x871
>>337640774
>Beyond that, consoles have been trying to take on traditionally PC-based genres and delivering half-baked games that don't appeal to the fans on PC who made the genres popular or console users who cannot comprehend how to play the games.
And now those genres are being exclusively designed around consoles and ported to PC, with their potential never fully realized.
>tfw there hasn't been an actual AAA PC FPS since 2007.
>>
dlc, microtransactions, whatever other word they've come up with by the time I finish this sentence

Anything that isn't standalone is part of your fucking game, and there is no justifiable explanation for releasing a 140 dollar videogame

except maybe if you know the genre is so niche that you can't realistically expect to sell more than a few hundred copies regardless of price I guess but y'all know that's not what this is about
>>
>>337646747
FFVII never had good gameplay.

But I agree, hating on turn based is really dumb. The action genre is great, but it works best when it has no RPG mechanics locking down the skill ceiling.
Meanwhile, turn based can be really interesting and deep; sadly most RPG fans get into these games for the stories or waifus instead of the gameplay, so the games tend to be casualized in order to cater to this demographic.
>>
>day one dlc or dozens of small dlc packs
>content on disc but it's behind a paywall disguised as dlc

If a game has these its instantly dropped
>>
>>337640043
nothing its getting better and better
>>
File: 1392936942748.png (551 KB, 452x603) Image search: [Google]
1392936942748.png
551 KB, 452x603
>mfw it's another "AAA sandbox game with an endless checklist of repetitive actions for you to complete and a bloated HUD that shows you everything because you're too dumb to figure things out on your own" episode
>>
>>337648652
this

I even preferred the era of waist high wall corridor shooters over this shit
>>
File: 0d4.png (28 KB, 400x321) Image search: [Google]
0d4.png
28 KB, 400x321
>>337644062
>Every game is slowly turning into a Ubisoft game.
The sad fucking truth.
>>
>>337644464
When you get down to it, Souls games really just boil down to "The Legend of Zelda with 10x enemy damage and a few dozen Master Sword replacements."
>>
File: 1454188827938.jpg (104 KB, 800x599) Image search: [Google]
1454188827938.jpg
104 KB, 800x599
Story adds to a game, gameplay is more important and the main emphasis but don't pretend a good story doesn't make a game better.
>>
>>337644659
>>people caring about 60 FPS
The 30 FPS meme is actually somewhat of a recent development. 6th generation console games very commonly ran at 60 and it wasn't until the recent of games being "cinematic" rather than gamelike in the late '00s/early '10s that ridiculous fps caps started to take hold.
>>
Open world
Online only single player content
>>
File: quake_guy_by_natan77.jpg (202 KB, 512x458) Image search: [Google]
quake_guy_by_natan77.jpg
202 KB, 512x458
>regenerating health
>weapon limit
>sprint burst
>aim-down sights
>cover system
>"realistic"
>sepia color scheme
>objective markers
>"combat zone"
>setpieces
>cutscenes
>quicktime events
>console port
>>
>>337640395
I don't mind watching a good let's play. sometimes it's an old game i just don't have access too anymore, or it's a new game i'm not sure about wanting, and the person i'm watching usually makes it entertaining.

i agree with everything except the last 2, really.
>>
File: 1393115854276.png (118 KB, 1088x1140) Image search: [Google]
1393115854276.png
118 KB, 1088x1140
>game with a middle school writing contest tier story
>gaming """journalists""" spout inane shit like "it's the Citizen Kane of video games!" then forget about it two months later
I am fucking looking at you, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us
>>
>>337640395
>micro transactions slowly becoming mainstream
>slowly
>>
>>337640043
How most AAA games are just fucking rehashes of the same tried and true ideas. I hope the next big economic crisis sinks a few of these shitters. Also, it pisses me off that there is no TF3/L4D3
>>
>>337650732
l4d3 is confirmed in development, there is literally no reason to want a tf3

I mean tf2 rewritten from the base up would be terrific, don't get me wrong. But a new game, why?
>>
The fascination with e-celebs. I will never understand why anybody, anywhere, ever would be obsessed with people who are only known for being famous on Youtube. I see nothing wrong if they just entertain you and you enjoy what they put out (that's just them doing their job), but why in the ever living fuck would you care about their personal relationships and all of the drama that happens "behind the scenes"? Because that's the only thing I ever see people talk about when they discuss e-celebs.
>>
>>337640395
>>more emphasis on things like story/graphics than gameplay
If even just this was fixed games would be pretty gud again
>>
>>337643358
>>emphasis on graphics and how many polygons they can cram into a model
>This is only a recent development
>>
File: 1390592219946.jpg (59 KB, 500x598) Image search: [Google]
1390592219946.jpg
59 KB, 500x598
All vidya developers have been into "realism" ever since games suddenly had to be 3D to be "good". Back in old days they had to have good art direction to stand out graphically, rather than all going for realism because apparently more realistic equals a better game or something. Nowadays all games look the same, play the same and use only the smallest of features to differentiate themselves, and rely mostly on hype and advertising to either make or break the title, as there is little else to distinguish them from one another and the fact "gamers" actually want "cinematic experience" instead of gameplay or challenge nowadays isn't exactly helping either...
Another reason games were better back then was because the technical limitations forced developers to be creative with what little they had, and make fun out of just about anything. What's more, the gameplay had to be tight and fun, as presentation would not make up for a shitty playing experience.

Also speaking of the challenge aspect mention earlier: back then kids were tougher because there weren't games that babied you. Gaming was just hard, and that was all there was to it. You didn't blame the game when you lost, it was expected that it'd take practice before you could beat it. Nowadays "hardcore gamers" blame the games for all their shortcomings and sadly the developers dump the games down so much there isn't slightest challenge in game anymore and anyone can beat them on their first try.
>>
How people can say, with the straightest of faces and without the slightest hint of self-awareness, that exclusives are a bad thing and that multiplats are just about all that really matters. We literally live in a time where people actually just want 3 different boxes that all do the same exact fucking thing. We don't see much diversity like SNES vs. Genesis or N64 vs. PS1 anymore and no one seems to care. If anything, the homogenization is damn near celebrated.
>>
>>337640395
spot on man
>>
>>337651880
How about we just stop using consoles and move all gaming to PC
>>
>>337640043
all the dlc, really
if dlc were all free or included in the game at launch, I'd be fine with this gen
>>
Identity politics
Mainstream appeal
>>
Worst thing to me is games wanna be so fucking big and expansive but I'm sitting here just cycling through games on a Friday night. Why can't they just make games that are fun to play with a lot of secrets?
>>
>>337652050

Might as fucking well at this point but consoles bring in profit. They won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
>>
>>337640043
For the last 6 or so years it feels like I've been skipping more and more games. A large number of them don't attract me like 6th and some early 7th gen titles did.

I wonder if its me losing my touch, but I still put hundreds of hours in games so that can't be it.
>>
>>337652147
They're all on the disc though :^)
>>
>>337652494
well, you know what I mean
included for free with the game on launch
>>
That it will be considered retro someday, and that someday will be very soon.
GameCube, XBox, and PS2 are almost retro
>>
File: huhhh.png (24 KB, 1105x233) Image search: [Google]
huhhh.png
24 KB, 1105x233
I never understood what people thought was fun about playing all those bland call of duty rehashes. There's like a million games and they all look the same

>Watch some new trailer for yet another shitty cod game
>Suddenly robots and space n shit
>fuck this looks kinda crazy and fun actually
>all those dislikes
What the fuck do normies even want
>>
File: 1270063594154.jpg (57 KB, 600x433) Image search: [Google]
1270063594154.jpg
57 KB, 600x433
>>337652615
>PS2 came out 16 years ago
>The PS2 is older than many /v/ posters
>>
File: 1450517764778.jpg (155 KB, 753x706) Image search: [Google]
1450517764778.jpg
155 KB, 753x706
"everyone's a winner" being forced into basically everything, dlc segmenting multiplayer/costing almost as much as the entire game, politics being forced into everything (both sides are shit desu) and my favorite genre being relegated to joke-tier because every single game in it is beyond dead.

it's the worst, i need a hug.
>>
Nostalgiafags has ruined gaming
There's no reason for a company to try and make something new and try new stuff(Unless you're an indie studio) because people hate new stuff and rather stick to the old things.
Most of the new games are just remasters or reviving or making spiritual successor of popular old games through kickstarter...or even worse making a successor of an old game like shenmue that actually was a shitty game that nobody actually played but got founded only by the fact of nostalgiafags.

It's kind of like how everyone complains that there's no "hardcore MMO's" anymore, even if there's been more than enough studios that's been trying to do just that shit but it gets no attention and people clearly don't actually care(See Phanteon) even though they always say that they want it.
It's a thing here on /v/ and other places that people say that they want games to be done different and such, but when studios and such actually delivers and does exactly that they're just ignored and people just complain on.
>>
>>337652850

>N64/PS1 babbies are in their mid 20's now

I should know; I am one.
>>
File: CZyadetUsAEa4cG.jpg (47 KB, 600x535) Image search: [Google]
CZyadetUsAEa4cG.jpg
47 KB, 600x535
Curren't AAA gaames never get good or challenging.

Thy're like one huge tutorial from beginning to end.
>>
>>337643358
>>no effort to advance AI behavior
this, holy shit

Black Desert is fun to run around in but the enemy AI is ridiculously stupid

>run past a group of enemies.
>30 seconds later one starts chasing after you
>stops in front of you and stares for 2-3 seconds
>takes a swing at you with a 2 second windup
>>
>>337641790
That's the goal for most of these companies. Strip the industry down until mobile games are all that's left.
>>
The only thing that actually bothers me is how console gaming is dying in Japan. Home consoles don't get nearly as many JRPGs anymore. It's all on handhelds.
>>
>>337653137
isn't dark souls a AAA game?
>>
>>337652924
I tie that in with difficulty. Now the thing with difficulty is, that you have to practice to get good at it, right? How many times would an 8 year old need to try New Super Mario Bros to be considered skilled st the game? Now how much practice would that same 8 y/o need to get good at Megam X? I think the latter isn't as bad as people realize, that as long as the rules are simple, difficulty like that can be surpassed by a kid. Something like Civ, Ace Attorney, or Night Trap would be much harder for a kid to get good at (for thier own various reasons.)
>>
>>337653001
>tfw NES babbie closing in on 30

Atleast I'll become a wizard and get my magics
>>
>>337653292
fine with me, JRPGs don't need fancy grafix
>>
>>337653292
>Home consoles don't get nearly as many JRPGs anymore. It's all on handhelds.
Wholeheartedly agree. What I'd do to see another Pokemon console game again
>>
>>337640395
/thread. Good night guys, OP let thread sink.
>>
>>337644659
>games rely on hype culture to sell a game rather than it being good
this makes me so mad, I had huge hype for Fallout 4 and look at what it turned out to be

thanks /v/ for shitting on this "game" when this game was getting mindless hype and praise literally everywhere else[spoiler/]
>>
Pokemon keeps spoofed ding and spoofed ding players, while doing nothing about the power creep and only a few balances with types but still breaking others (bug is at an all time low, fairy is too unchecked, almost as bad as gen 5 dragons)
>>
Open World
>>
>>337653817

I don't see the point in getting hyped for things anymore. All it leads to is disappointment. If you expect nothing you either get what you expected or find a pleasant surprise. Excitement is overrated.
>>
>>337640395
>more emphasis on things like story/graphics than gameplay
We're talking about this gen anon. You really think this is a recent development?
>>
>>337640395
This sums it all up. What kills me is that people think story and graphics over gameplay for RPGs is good.
>>
>>337652050
Good luck getting people to switch over. Too many westerners buy consoles exclusively for Call of Duty, while Japanese companies don't care about the western market or are influenced by Sony money.
>>
>>337646939
Like seriously, where did all this man bun shit come from? I can barely keep up with anything new anymore unless it's games or that new anime on hulu.
>>
>>337653293

Souls games are actually part of the elusive AA distinction, not unlike most Nintendo games that aren't 3D Mario/Zelda. See, prior to Dark Souls From was niche as fuck, and as such don't really have the budget to pull an honest AAA title. That series just happened to be one of the lucky ones; I don't think anyone at From expected Dark Souls to blow up the way it did.
>>
>>337644590
>cpu's have advanced continuously for the past decade
>we have ai that can drive cars
>game ai is about as complicated as cs bots
>>
File: 1337288979810.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1337288979810.jpg
117 KB, 1280x720
>>337640043
They think I'm a completely retarded braindead child and want to hold my hand through everything

It doesn't take long to complete a game, or you don't need to invest as much time into a game, or you just physically can't spend as much time playing a game as you used to because you literally run out of stuff to do

I don't really care about anything else at this point, I just want to feel challenged and feel like I'm actually getting my money's worth and be able to play a game I really love for a really long time like older games used to be

It's honestly really sad that there are so few games coming out nowadays who achieve this
>>
>>337654747
>we have ai that can drive cars
It's not real ai, just rudimentary navigation systems. They have no idea what to do when they encounter something they're not programmed for, like a cop in the street directing traffic.
>>
>>337654303
It depends, anon. JRPGs are hugely benefited by their story, especially if the gameplay is your average turn-based menu simulator or grindfest. Xenoblade Chronicles for example happens to have both really enjoyable combat system and a great story.

However even with extremely fun combat, I'm not going to stick around for long if the story has given me no reason to care about the characters or what's going on.
>>
>>337640043
not enough new ideas with too many remakes and sequels upon sequels of game series that died years ago and their lifeless bodies are being pranced around like marionettes and we are being told they are still alive and good.

i want new content, i want something never been done before or never done well before but the problem is too many developers dont know what is good and they take risks and fail so everyone gets scared to try something new and they stick with whats old and is reliable for quick cash
>>
>>337640043
Progression systems being shoved into games where they don't belong.
>>
>>337654936
But you can program them to know how to respond, which is what they're still doing right now
>>
>>337654969

People at large don't want innovation. They want what they already know, but better. New things are scary, anon.
>>
>>337640043

No arcade style games that forgo heavy handed narrative.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 600x484) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 600x484
What bothers me most about the current gen is myself. I keep trying to justify my hatred of modern vidya by finding things to blame but in the end it all comes down to the fact that I really just don't enjoy video games anymore because I'm the one changing. All I'm asking for is just one game that will blow my mind. Just one game that will bring me back to that vidya loving kid I used to be. Is that too much to ask?
>>
No one's willing to truly master a single-player game just for the sake of it anymore. Always driven by achievements or leaderboards.
>>
>>337655053
>But you can program them to know how to respond, which is what they're still doing right now
They can't handle situations the programmer's don't account for, which they will definitely encounter on real roads. It's not real AI is the point I'm trying to make.
>>
File: Besiege.jpg (69 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
Besiege.jpg
69 KB, 900x720
>>337640043
The single worst thing is games coming out with less features than previous games in the series, for the same or higher price.

And, to make it worse, people unironically DEFENDING it. Lapping up the cum of the companies who shit forth these cut-up games.

I'm talking The Sims, Fallout, Battlefront, Doom, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Battlefield, The Elder Scrolls, Need For Speed, and so on.

In the 90s to early 00s, games weren't perfect, but you could at least expect a sequel to try and improve upon its predecessor.

Now, I spend E3s praying that the sequel will have even as much content as the last game did instead of being a step BACKWARDS.
>>
>>337655207
I think it's because it's easier nowadays to show off to other people online your prowess at a game, and achievements and leaderboards are an easier way to do so than playing the game in front of people
>>
>>337655207
Kids still do. My nephews can play Rocket League for hours just trying to get better at their air game. I would too, if I could, but I have to work.
>>
>>337643417
I feel you. I try to support any I even have even a little interest in, but there are just so many this year that it's hard to justify spending so much
>>
>>337655391
Yeah but the thing is once they encounter those situations, they can just go back and program them to know what to do, as well

I don't think you're understanding that there is pretty much no limit here to what they can program the driving AI to do in regards to driving
>>
>>337652050
That's exactly what I did after seventh gen. There's like four games I'm missing out on that are console exclusives right now two of which aren't even out yet.
>>
>>337640395
First post always best post
I remember early days of YouTube had to actually look up videos if you wanted commentary and they were mostly walkthroughs now it's the opposite.
>>
>>337655207
What's wrong with getting gud to get achievements? The end result is the same.
>>
Let's face it- Sonic and Minecraft spergs? If we had the technology the kids do now when we were that old, we'd be able to sperg out about our favorite gea and shit all the time. Hell some autists haven't let that stop them from doing it now.
>>
>>337654936
There's also ai that can learn
You could make a game with ai that could resemble a human player without needing handicaps ai normally gets
>>
>>337652816
>What the fuck do normies even want

Yearly rereleases of CoD 4 with updated graphics. This seems like an exaggeration except if you look at the comments for the new CoD trailer you'll see tons of them post about their plans to pay $80 for the limited edition solely because it has CoD 4 on it. Even sadder considering that version of CoD 4 has less content than the original CoD 4 on launch.
>>
>>337648840

That's when I still played shooters, so yeah.
>>
File: 1427503441400.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1427503441400.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
>>337640043
No shmups
>>
>>337640395
>>companies refusing to bring back popular highly requested dead ip's
Honestly, this is a good thing.

I mean, of the old FPS reboots that are getting churned out only Shadow Warrior (easily the weakest of the franchises), was anywhere close to decent.
Doom is shit, RotT was shit, DNF was shit, the new duke remake, where Duke Nukem is going to say Bazinga? Gee, I fucking wonder.
>>
>>337655574
>Yeah but the thing is once they encounter those situations, they can just go back and program them to know what to do, as well
There are a million potential different things that could happen. You can't program for every single little thing. It's just not possible.
>>
>>337655678
its about the journey, not the destination
>>
>>337654936
>>337655793
This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbsqaJwpu6A

>>337655901
>You can't program for every single little thing. It's just not possible.
See above, you don't need to
>>
>>337640395
Screencap this.
>>
>>337655678
achievements are just the dev's way of telling you how to get good at their game, but they can't fit in every challenge, or even have the hardest ones

if you make up your own you can do even better
>>
>>337655678
Well most achievements aren't really achievements, they're just shit you would get playing the game anyway or just require a timesink. cheevos that are actually hard to get are rare as shit.
>>
>>337653383

>Moble being popular in Japan + Console loosing popularity n Japan = loss of a lot of potential good games. Probably 100s.
>>
>>337655960
>See above, you don't need to
And that shit is obviously not going to run on a desktop PC. Not now. Try to have some perspective anon.
>>
>>337656089
Cars don't have desktop PCs, what are you talking about?
>>
>>337640395
/thread
>>337655881
>implying NuDoom is shit
Once again /v/ hating when /v/ is always wrong
>>
>>337640043
Style over substance.
>>
>>337656149
We're talking about videogames not having better AI. You're not going to get this shit running on a desktop cpu with a game on top of it.
>>
>>337640395
>censorship encouraged and defended
>companies refusing to bring back popular highly requested dead ip's
That's not new in the least.
>>
>>337650732
I think people have been talking about how the next economic crisis will fix games for 5 years now... it isn't going to happen. Tech careers in general are going to turn into middle-class jobs, there's going to be more video games coming out than books being written, and it's never really going to change

There'll be a few good games that come out, but just a handful every year from now on
>>
>>337656286
I was replying to someone talking about self driving cars and how they could never account for every situation

That is why I linked a video about AI that learns as it goes
>>
>>337640726
Why am I not allowed to like little figures of Nintendo characters? We all like figures of non-nintendo characters, and buy them all the time for much higher prices.
>>
File: done and over.png (473 KB, 497x598) Image search: [Google]
done and over.png
473 KB, 497x598
>>337640043
Oversimplification of design. Which encompasses controls, control depth, in game mechanics (example is slides, dashes, walljumps, in air moves, anything with technicality to it) stage/level design, and art direction so as not to scare off the normalfag audience.

Everythings been toned down, normalfied, casualized, mainstreamed, and made to be more realistic in a medium that was about escapism. I don't play videogames to fucking visit other places in the real world in a fucking videogame, or even places modeled after real world shit. I play games to escape.

Gaming becoming mainstream is the worst thing that ever happened to it, and I dont care if you underage and B& or faggots who sold out their standards for the casualization of gaming call me a nostalgiafag or anyhting like it.

Nowadays if you dont cater to the widest possible demographic your shareholders leave you. If you dont shove a shit ton of DLC for faggots with loose wallets instead of including it in the game, you lose potential revenue. If you dont pay off reviewers or marketing agencies to damage control the shit game your shit and underpaid employees made, you bankrupt. Gaming has become LESS THAN a shadow of its former self, it's a FUCKING JOKE now sold off to the highest bidder or biggest investor's wants. Yknow, PEOPLE WHO DONT PLAY FUCKING VIDEOGAMES.

Seriously if you DEFEND ANY CORPORATION nowadays involved with gaming, no matter WHICH ONE, you need to catch aids, swallow nails, tie up a barbed wire noose and jump off a bridge because the gaming world would be better off without you influencing shit.
>>
>>337641531
Since shooters are my thing I want to touch up on this.
Iron sites, loadouts, etc. are NOT ruining shooters. They just shove them in games where they don't belong like halo, doom, etc. Titanfall is a perfect example of why ads can go beyond just cod.
>>
>Censorship.
>Being afraid to do new things.

These really only apply to big game development companies. I think we'll look back years from now on this time and realize how amazing of an indie scene there was despite some of the cancer within it.
>>
>>337656236

Game insisting on being 'realistic' blatantly at the expense of game play.
>>
>>337656516
>IF YOU STILL LIKE VIDEOGAMES KILL YOURSELF
Blow me, shithead.
>>
>>337656598
No u
>>
>>337656229
Maybe you've been eating shit so long that when someone hands you a plate of tofu, you think it's the greatest thing ever.
>>
>>337656450
Try following the reply chain anon. It could save your life.
>>
The fact that things in F.E.A.R. like excellent shadows, seeing your feet. running kicks and good AI have not been trumped except by a select few games.

Also
>tfw no spooky FPS these days
>tfw no good FPS at all these days
>>
>>337651392
It's basically the same as fascination with elebrities in general, except it appeals to hipsters and gamer types

>>337651880
>>337652050
I think that's where we're headed, except exclusives are going to be bound to psn, microsoft, and steam stores, maybe nintendo if they can make it
>>337652183
There are a lot of fun games to play anon, as long as you have friends, and even if you don't there's a thousand you've never heard of that are decent, whether you like arcade or traditional narratives
>>
Rail shooters are dead
>>
File: 1440980790797.png (196 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1440980790797.png
196 KB, 360x270
>>337640043
>50+GB install size for the base game
>Much of it is uncompressed texture/audio data
>Even if you bought it on disc you still need a full installation
>The disc doesn't even have all the data for the base game, the rest you have to download through the internet
inb4 "muh datacaps" it's the principle that matters. How the fuck pii u game discs need mandatory installs while I have to fucking manage my hard drive space for PS4 game discs it's bullshit.
>>
>>337656763
Look at the posts I'm quoting, they are all talking about self driving cars
>>
>>337651392
Because Americans love celebrities.
Now when "gamers" can experience the exact shit with celebrities as "normies" always been doing you bet many will care.
It's the exact same shit as regular celebrities, if you talk about e-celebrities you're in no way better than teenage girls gossiping about the latest celebrity news.

Sadly some of my friends actually care about e-celeb drama.
>>
>>337640043
smash 4
>>
>>337656921
You know, that company everyone on this board loathes is really amazing at optimization,. Too bad other companies never took notes, and instead claimed that said company is living in the past.
>>
>>337657080
Meleefags are worse tho.
>>
>>337657080
Funny, I was just about to post "Meleefags." Small world.
>>
>>337657140
They are all equally bad
Soirce: I'm a smashfag
>>
File: 1456618688478.png (3 KB, 114x114) Image search: [Google]
1456618688478.png
3 KB, 114x114
>used to really like anime and was able to get through series relatively fast
>these days, can't even finish shows I know I like or would have liked 20 years ago
>last show I successfully marathoned was Kaiji
>finished Oz in a week
How does this happen? I like Japanese TV more than Yank TV.
>>
>games getting more casual and easier

This ropes into the larger problems of games being easier with less of a challenge, same-y gameplay elements in most games, and players just wanting to watch the games being played on youtube or twitch instead of playing for themselves.

The bar has been set so low that games become less and less interesting the more casual (read: retard proof) they become. Now when I try to play most things that come out they are just a bland simplistic mess that gets a 10/10 "meh its alright"
>>
>>337657104
It's not that everyone hates Nintendo unconditionally, it's that Nintendo isn't doing as good a job on its shit as it did before. Most of the things /v/ users rag Nintendo for are censorship/localization and lack of new worthwhile games.
>>
Real life.

It happened to me gradually when I started working. First, I was suddenly too tired to play games. Then I started finding shit tedious. Then I became too busy. Now, I can't find myself to play much even when I DO have the time.
>>
File: hurt.png (582 KB, 642x613) Image search: [Google]
hurt.png
582 KB, 642x613
>>337657140
Only if you intentionally smack the hive with a stick. Most of their threads are pretty peaceful, whereas if you simply mention something like not playing with items in a Smash 4 thread, it's like you fucking summoned satan and all his followers to conjure up every insecurity in the world and start flinging shit everywhere.

Like even when the /fgg/ fags come into melee threads to false flag and troll, the melee kids keep their cool and shut them down. You dislike something about Smash 4 in one of their threads, even as someone who likes the game and its like you triggered tumblr or something.

Seriously, I hate the Smash 4 fanbase on /v/, and thats the only smash I play. They're literally more autistic than m2k.
>>
>>337643417
Neptunia is stagnating pretty fast or I should say it has been ever since they released those Re;birth games. You can only recycle the same enemies and dungeons for so long before people get bored of it. Did try VII but it still has my number 1 issue with this series, the characters are still 1 dimensional as fuck and only exist to remind the player of their one stand out personality trait.
>>
>>337640043
The games
>>
>>337657373
>the melee kids keep their cool and shut them down
That's almost funny how you probably believe that.
>>
File: 1441767141545.jpg (56 KB, 600x541) Image search: [Google]
1441767141545.jpg
56 KB, 600x541
Maybe its just in the games I end up playing but it feels like nothing's allowed to be hidden or surprises anymore. Like everything always gets shown off everywhere for marketing purposes or gets datamined day 1
Doesn't make the games less enjoyable but I dunno. I guess I could just go on blackuout for such things but I don't really care THAT much.
>>
lets players
mobile replacing quality games
glossy hardware
social media integration
the loss of couch co-op
Nintendo not including a charger with the new 3ds holy fuck
>>
>Everything suppose to be Online and competitive and much less focus on single player experience.
Ironically despite this there's really no fun online multiplayer games out there.

I also miss the days when like fighting games actually had focus on single player experience. I used to love playing fighting games even tho I never played against other players, games like Soul Edge and the Soul series was so fun to play even if you only played against the CPU and there was so many fun modes and stuff to do. Nowadays fighting games focuses 100% on online/competitive play and ignores the single player experience totally.

>Fun local multiplayer games are completely dead.

Playing games like Mario party and similar with friends was the most fun I had when I was younger. There's nearly no party games like that released anymore even tho it could actually be greatly integrated with online play.
>>
>>337656482
Because those little figures of Nintendo characters are day one dlc cancer and there's now over 100 of them.
>>
>>337657850
>Fun local multiplayer games are completely dead.
Nintendo still makes those. But, hey, who would buy a WiiU when you can have such amazing online shooters on PS4, for only $5/month extra charge? 4 da playas!
>>
>>337651698
This. People have been saying this shit since the early 6th gen, if not earlier. Sprite purists used this argument all the time to decry games that dared to be 3D.
>>
>>337657969
I have a WiiU and tried to play the new Mario Party with friends thinking they could make some really awesome mini games with the WiiU board.
Man was I wrong, it was one of the shittiest games I've ever played.
Could you name a few of those local multiplayer games? I can only think of the new mario party and SSB4.
>>
>>337657961
The other toys to life franchises need the figure in order to play as whole characters. Amiibo mostly just give you cosmetic items.
>>
>>337640043
the "fun" map design of some games
>turn right to advance story
>turn left for loot
Looking at you, Dead Space
>>
>>337640043
>DLC is everywhere, some of it is even locked behind overpriced and hard to find figures
>Ecchi/moe stuff becoming more popular in general, it's fine on its own I just hate it being in everything.
>It's CURRENT YEAR and there is still no sequel to Metroid Fusion
>Increased casualization to the point that most companies are no longer producing certain styles of games, mostly classic platformers/arcade style games.
>>
Firstly, the whole idea of "AAA" games and game developers.
/v/ has a problem that they love buying from AAA devs and talking about their games all the time, even though they know that the games are horrendously flawed and nothing special.
It's a pain to constantly hear about Overwatch players saying "Waaaah, this is totally unfair!".
Come on, I was interested in Overwatch at first, but it only took looking at their video updates for a while for me to realise "this is going to suck, there's no room for creative applications of your abilities and it's just about abusing ultimates, also a lot of the classes look simply unfair to fight".
Took everyone else playing the beta to realise that, but I know they're still going to buy the game anyway.

Secondly, that game designers are idiots.
They're supposed to be providing us with fresh new game mechanics, so why is it that only indies introduce new game mechanics?
And even then they're not clever.
The MMO genre shouldn't even be hard to fix by the way if I'm correct about how a certain setup would work out, but of course game designers never think of anything new and instead copy other MMOs.
>>
>>337654471
>Too many westerners buy consoles exclusively for Call of Duty
You mean 'Muricans. PC is a thriving market in Europe and South America.
>>
>>337658125
That's not always the case and it has gradually gotten worse. Even if they were exclusively for cosmetic items, that's still day one dlc.

>The other toys to life franchises need the figure in order to play as whole characters.
Not a good excuse. I'd be very surprised if Nintendo didn't attempt something like that later on as well considering how popular amiibos are.
>>
>>337652385
It's hard to get attracted by games where it takes up to an hour before you do any actual playing in it.
>>
>>337657850

Nintendo still makes good local multiplayer stuff, there are a few odd games like Rocket League too. I think it's mainly that games are all about the money now rather than delivering an experience that makes money (if that makes sense). If people can play local multiplayer then they are making less money than if you have to buy a separate game console to play online.
>>
>>337653302
>How many times would an 8 year old need to try New Super Mario Bros to be considered skilled st the game? Now how much practice would that same 8 y/o need to get good at Megam X?
NSMB is harder than MMX, though.
>>
>>337658121
Mario Party 10 blows.

Smash is certainly there. I would highly recommend Mario Kart 8, unless your friends only like Mario Kart for battle mode like scrubs. The game is just really damn good.

Nintendoland is a good party game, but could get boring quickly otherwise. NSMBU and 3D World are a blast alone or with friends, but at 4 players, they can get to be... frustrating. Mainly when someone wants to progress and others want to dick around.

There's also multiplats or two player shit like Rayman Legends, Sanic and Pals Transforming Cars. Or the other 2D platformers like Dong Freeze and Woolly world, but I don't personally think co-op is too great in them compared to the Mario games.

Monster Hunter all day every day, but that's a 3ds thing.
>>
>>337658230
>The MMO genre shouldn't even be hard to fix by the way
Doing away with locked genders, classes, and opening up the game to allow you to take on more roles and jobs outside of just endless grindy combat.
Mabinogi is the closes I've seen to a "good" MMO despite how horribly outdated it is, but Nexon is a complete jew.
>>
>>337655828
>Yearly rereleases of CoD 4 with updated graphics.
Every Fifa game ever. I don't know why people buy new copies of each yearly game, I'm not into football nor do I play these games but aside from rosters what even gets updated? All Dindu's go nuts for this shit.
>>
File: why2.png (372 KB, 619x418) Image search: [Google]
why2.png
372 KB, 619x418
>>337658595
>mario kart 8
>Good

It's ok at the very best, but half the time you're getting fucked unless you're holding an item the entire race. Which gets fucked over in and of itself because coins are in the roulette, you can only hold one item at a fucking time, defending hitboxes are tiny, shells have stronger tracking, and theres less defensive options in general.

Not to mention because theres a 1 item holding limit and the tracks are wide as fuck, you're basically looking at no track obstacles. Also not mentioning that no matter how hard heavies have always been great, they're absolute king in 8.

The only thing mk8 has going for it over 7 is the fucking DLC and 200cc, and thats practically buyers remorse compensation more than legitimate nice extra content.

Also WHY THE FUCK DO WE HAVE SO MANY KOOPA KIDS AND BABIES FUCK NINTENDO YOU ARE LAZY AS FUCK.
>>
>>337659035
>Also WHY THE FUCK DO WE HAVE SO MANY KOOPA KIDS

Why does everyone knock the Koopalings? I though people demanded them over Bowser Junior? At least they're actual characters as opposed to Metal Mario & Pink Gold Peach in the same game.
>>
>>337658595
I'm still depressed about Mario Party 10, that game could have been so great.
All the fun mini games they could have made with the game pad(Especially 1v3) and I can't believe that they still have that shitty "everyone is in the same car" instead of the regular old boards.

>>337658230
>The MMO genre shouldn't even be hard to fix by the way if I'm correct about how a certain setup would work out, but of course game designers never think of anything new and instead copy other MMOs.
To be fair they've been trying to do so much different and stuff people always been crying about.
Just see "Pantheon" a game that's going to be like the oldschool MMO's everyone wants today(or what they say at least). The game failed it's kickstarter and nearly none talks about it.
>>
>>337659035
>half the time you're getting fucked unless you're holding an item the entire race
Look, I'm not going to continue arguing beyond here because we will never agree, but this is literally complaining about being bad. You are complaining about items in the only balanced Mario Kart game ever made. I've watched people go from last to first based on skill alone.

Also, Koopalings are fine, babies, yeah, not so much.
>>
File: oldfagfedoragamer.png (56 KB, 1427x432) Image search: [Google]
oldfagfedoragamer.png
56 KB, 1427x432
>>337656516
I knew you sounded familiar.
>>
>>337659161
We coulda had more fucking original characters, insead we got saddled with more bowser kid intrusion.

>>337659251
>I'm going to ignore all the points listed that blow me the fuck out and insert shit opinions in instead

wew lad
>>
>>337659226
We can only dream that the games go back to the old ways for Mario Party. At least the new Mario and Sonic Olympics shit looks pretty fun this time around. If it is as fun as the first when playing with others, I might be down for it.
>>
>>337640395
>sjw politics forced into games
Isn't this getting a lot of maisntream backlash recently?
Even feminism themselves in places that actually matter?
>>
File: STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN.gif (954 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN.gif
954 KB, 320x240
>>337640395
This.
Also devs not looking at older great games and really LOOKING at what made them great rather than just trying to emulate it and then failing horribly.
Case in point the new Battlefront, D44M, and Fallout 4.
>>
File: 1269555997002.png (159 KB, 254x384) Image search: [Google]
1269555997002.png
159 KB, 254x384
>>337659349
How did you blow me out? by talking about how shit you are that you need to hold an item the entire time, which is a issue in every Mario Kart but 8? How you think that the literally perfect track design is bad because you are always in last? Or how you try to make sure good things seem bad by throwing "b-but it's all buyer's remorse!" at the end of them?

You didn't make any points except that you have shit opinions and you base them all on your personal experiences of being shit at the game.
>>
>>337643470
>tfw no more cheat codes just to fuck around and change the game like old gtas or Tony hawk
>even if there are cheats it's just infinite health/shit
>pc has console commands but thats a hassle to have any fun with
>>
File: tired of kids.png (66 KB, 203x208) Image search: [Google]
tired of kids.png
66 KB, 203x208
>>337659528
If holding an item and hoping to god RNG doesnt blow you the fuck out is what skill is to you than I have bad news for you little boy, your concept of skill might be delusional.

Proper item manipulation, using track litter to block items, dodging into other racers, using the track to block items, they're mostly gone concepts. Item tracking is better so they dont run into walls, defending items hurtbox are smaller, and even shells can slip through and hit you through triple shells and bananas. The item roulette's RNG itself is completely fucked as well, I've seen people in 12th constantly get greenshells after getting railed by 2nd placers get triple reds one after another.

RNG is not skill, skilled gameplay was removed by simple changes. You can be good at mario kart 8 still but the skill ceiling was lowered to account for faggots who raged at actually skilled players in previous entries.

But I'm talking to a faggot who will ignore all points to post his own, and will continue to smug reaction image post thinking a reply means someones mad, so yea post away fuccboi.
>>
I don't see much talk about current gen fighting games. Let's see:

>FGs are too offense/combo-heavy, individual hits with AA and pokes do shit damage and zoning is nerfed
>slow walkspeed
>floaty jumps
>stages are wide as fuck thanks to 16:9 screen
>throws are slow and have shit range
>blockstun way shorter than hitstun
>shitty hitboxes on normals
>derpy comeback mechanics
>inputs are way too loose
>>
>>337659251

>the only balanced Mario Kart game ever made

Rubberbanding AI notwithstanding, Super Mario Kart would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>337658254
The UK is sonygger central idiot
>>
>>337659035
git gud fag

also, i don't mind the koopa kids, i just wish they kept all the characters from the wii game. fuck, even add some characters from dk64. or maybe even some characters from didy kong racing. i dont understand why it's 2016 and we can't have a huge character selection.
>>
>>337659035
mario kart 8 is actuallly really good and capable of being very competitive aside from le blue shell. But even then some players I've seen dont let blue shell even be a problem as their turning and bursting are top notch. I get so fucking pissed when they are going through the grass without mushrooms but I figure they deserve it for even figuring that shit out.

Don't get salty and say the game is bad anon. You are paired with people of equal skill, so that means you have only yourself to blame.

>that feel when you wont get past 16000 points due to everyone being so high skilled 40,000 to 99,999 points
>>
>>337640043
Having to install the shit for atleast an hour or two to play,day 1 patches, and dlc.

They can't make a complete product nowadays? I can somewhat appreciate the install for less loading times but it's still fucking there most of the time.

I honestly browse the web between loading screens so it doesn't bother me. I wish we had minigames on loading screens ala dbz budoka.
>>
>>337660637

Splatoon does this too in lobbies between matches. Fucking Squid Jump, mang.
>>
>>337660637

Problem is Bandai has a patent on loading screen minigames or we probably would
>>
While we're in a thread that isn't jerking off AAA publishers, why is it that almost no one plays Ring Runner for long enough to unlock the multiplayer?
It sounds really fun as a competitive game, though it was so unsuccessful at keeping a playerbase that 4v4 SDL matches were almost unheard of.
>>
>>337660841
How? I've heard that before but it still makes no sense to me.
>>
>>337660841
I heard that patent expired a year or two ago.
>>
File: 1431801103972.gif (3 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1431801103972.gif
3 MB, 360x360
>>337640395
Not much else to say is there?
>>
>>337660912
Patents are fucked. You can patent pretty much anything as long as nobody else can say "I did it first"

>>337660949
I just looked it up and you're right, it expired in 2015. Means we might see them again in the future
>>
>>337660949
How would the process to patent that go about?

It's not like they made money on loading screen minigames alone, so why do it anyway?
>>
>>337640395
I was gonna bitch about youtubers and let's players, but you covered that and much more. Good going anon.
>>
>>337661278

Patent trolling. If you own the patent on something and someone else does it, you can sue them for money or charge them a licensing fee to use your patent. There's such a thing as a patent thicket, which is a whole bunch of patents on similar ideas designed to lock other businesses out of using them.
>>
>>337647243
God dammit I'm so fucking bored, I just want something good to play but I can't think of a single game coming out where any hope I have of it being good is ruined by knowing the retards in charge are going to ruin it and if it does sell like shit will refuse to acknowledge that its their fault for cutting corners and blowing it all on marketing, and if it is successful its because it rewards the lowest kind of person who only wants constant gratification and has zero self control and is massively impulsive with no standards.
>>
>>337661206
Patents, trademarks, and copyright are totally fucked but people are too fucking lazy and willfully ignorant to do anything about that and the myriad of other issues everywhere on this god damn planet.
>>
>>337661278
You can use patents defensively to prevent others from stealing your ideas, or like >>337661430 said.
>>
>>337660841
What bandai games actually use them other than dbz games? I can't recall any from any other bandai games that use them.
>>
>s
>>
>>337640043
Late to the thread but music. I remember that brief glorious time when a ton of games had great music. From Deus Ex to Red Faction with synthy quiet techno stuff to Vice City and Scarface with amazing licensed stuff to Uematsu and Matsuda at their peak with FF9 and Chrono Cross.

I'm lucky now if one game a year has anything I even remember.
>>
>>337661851
World is Yours had bombass soundtrack.
>>
File: 1448087743158.png (80 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1448087743158.png
80 KB, 400x400
The focus on shallow spectacle, rather than enduring mechanics. Gameplay 'moments' are being valued higher than gameplay systems.
>>
Video games are old enough now to carve out bad habits that become standards for the industry. This is comparable to film, where only shortly after the media was born Hollywood realized they could churn out inoffensive, derivative schlock after they learned how profitable it was.

This results in homogenization of AAA games, and cements the precedent that keeps getting these games made. FPS games have consistently moved towards 2 gun loadouts, regenerating health, cover mechanics, and linear shooting gallery level design. WRPGs and the ever broad "action adventure" genre are moving toward open worlds for the sake of open world, and increasing player agency while losing mechanical depth and strength of direction.

It's not all bad, though. I actually kind of like that there's now a market for small indie games that run on toasters like Stardew Valley, Terraria, and Undertale because now at least I have more games that I can play on my shitty laptop.
>>
>>337662030
How do get into terraria? I tried it with a buddy and we stuck to minecraft and just built stupid shit.
>>
>>337662030
I hate the 2 gun loadout.
>>
>>337663192
It's a big mistake to think that Terraria is like an RPG version of Minecraft.
Terraria is primarily an RPG, secondarily a sandbox.
>>
>>337655881
>new doom shit
okay i get the rot one was lame and dnf

but the shadow warrior ones and the new doom were passable
>>
>>337661851
Primitive sound technology forced developers to put melodies in music. Nowadays they have all the means necessary to create "ambience" and "soundscapes".
>>
>>337656482
>We all like figures of non-nintendo characters, and buy them all the time for much higher prices.
Yeah, because they're much higher quality.

But if you're looking for something cheap, then amiibo is the way to go.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (102 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
102 KB, 400x533
>>337662025
This is something that's been happening for a long time now, but I never even thought about it until I read your post.
>>
File: dhsjklafg.jpg (32 KB, 600x461) Image search: [Google]
dhsjklafg.jpg
32 KB, 600x461
>>337651759
This.

>When people actually complain that they "don't want to have to overcome some kind of challenge just to see the story play out!" and "music doesn't make you defeat a boss before you can hear the next track!" and "I don't want to have to remember how to use some million-button controller!" and "I don't have time to play some 20-hour game, I'm busy, why would I want that?"
Ah yes I think we have the perfect video games just for you:
THEY'RE CALLED FUCKING MOVIES YOU CUNTS
HERE'S YOUR SPECIAL NEVER-FAIL CONSOLE: A BLU-RAY PLAYER
A REMOTE THAT EVEN A MONKEY COULD FIGURE OUT TRUST US WE TESTED
SHOVEL FOOD INTO YOUR FACE WITH BOTH HANDS AND NEVER MISS A SECOND
>>
File: screencapped you lazy fuck.png (90 KB, 996x633) Image search: [Google]
screencapped you lazy fuck.png
90 KB, 996x633
>>337655970
If you don't like the theme, size or else, too bad
Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.