[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want a new QUAKE! With shamblers. Do it, Bethesda.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 14
File: 19516_big.jpg (100 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
19516_big.jpg
100 KB, 1024x768
I want a new QUAKE! With shamblers. Do it, Bethesda.
>>
I never played quake sadly but I always loved that icon
>>
>wanting Bethesda to butcher another franchise
>>
>>337627084
D44M is good tho
>>
>>337627191
Is it though? Or is it just another corridor shooter with next to no exploration?

It's better than 3, but that's not saying much.
>>
>>337626554
Quake 2 was an error
>>
>>337626976
What's stopping you from playing it right now?
>>
>>337627426
quite a bit actually yea, much more open than the nu Wolfenstein atleast
>>
You'll get the Strog.

you better enjoy your shitty cyborg aliens, no more cosmic horror shamblers for you
>>
>>337627191
It's pretty unmemorable, probably gonna forget it even exists in a couple months.
>>
Unreal > Quake
>>
>>337627538
It just looks like shit and mods don't help.
>>
>>337627538
Well I just saw gameplay and it looks pretty much like doom with the whole gun view. Does it still hold up and play well ? I might go into it once I finish the original doom . I always thought quake was a multiplayer game
>>
>>337627724
So like the original
>>
>>337627849
Quake is literally the 3D game wich best aged.
>>
>>337627795
UT is for shitters that can't manage their velocity and think more weapons is better.
>>
>>337627849
>Trying to mod quake to look better
Why would you do this you sick disgusting graphics whore, it looks perfectly okay and it plays beautifully.
>>
>>337628250
>quake fags
>talking about velocity
half life deathmatch called, they want their gimmick back

or atleast bhop in a game like cs where it takes more than just spamming the space bar to pull it off, quakepleb
>>
>>337627520
yeah they were really stroggling with the enemy designs in that game
>>
>>337628250
Unreal=/=Unreal tournament.

Anyway, Unreal tournament> Unreal

>>337627795
Wrong
>>
>>337628550
>talking about games that came out 4 years after quake
literally underage
>>
>>337627884
>Does it still hold up and play well ?
Absolutely, better than Doom even due to being the first full 3d FPS (no 2.5d quirks like Doom and its relatives). Player movement and aiming is extremely tight and the engine's lineage is still used today for tons of games.

It's a multiplayer game too- primarily Q3A which is the famous one due to being multiplayer-focused only- but Quake 1 is fantastic in single player with great level design and enemies more varied than Doom's.
>>
>>337628049
Gameplay? Sure. It's extremely satisfying to play, the focus on explosive weapons is excellent, the enemies are dangerous and interesting, particularly when starting out. Visually? Quake has well lit shades of brown everywhere, and if you were playing with GLQuake instead of the original or a more modern 3D source port, it didn't even have nice lighting (the game used a basic form of HDR lighting, which GLQuake ignores and clamps to 100% brightness). The textures are muddy as fuck, and all of the models look like ass (there's a mild benefit, and that's the fact that it makes them a bit creepier, they're these jagged looking abominations and it fits). If you aren't playing with a recent source port with animation interpolation, the animations are all janky as fuck, and if you are using it, some of them look wrong.

one thing that everyone who wants to play Quake needs to do is go get the soundtrack, you're seriously missing out if the version you have doesn't come with it (read: anyone without the game on CD), it's really atmospheric
IIRC, Romero said it was kind of meh, as during the handful of things he did for the game, he'd just put on whatever metal songs he felt like, but I think that's just him not really expecting the soundtrack the game actually got.
>>
>>337628959
>animation interpolation
>in quake
no it looks like fucking shit, i make sure to disable it in quakespasm

none of the animations in the game were designed with that in mind, and it shows
>>
>>337628550
>half life deathmatch called, they want their gimmick back
You realise idTech1/GoldSRC physics are practically the same right?
>or atleast bhop in a game like cs where it takes more than just spamming the space bar to pull it off, quakepleb
CS is L I T E R A L L Y rng though. They purposefully randomly set the flag to +jump -jump so you lose velocity somettimes.
>>
Do Activision/Raven still have the license to Hexen?

I'd love to see a new Hexen game.
>>
>>337629180
yes
never.
maybe they will shit out a mobile game to avoid losing the license and that it.
>>
File: 1463111486604.jpg (86 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1463111486604.jpg
86 KB, 1024x576
Based Bethesda.
>>
>>337628959
Too bad the enemies are bullet sponge
Yeah I know its because the tech limitation so they had to ramp up the enemy hp
>>
>>337628573
I hate you.
>>
>>337627426
>corridor shooter
confirmed hasn't played it
>>
>>337629326
They could just make it Call of Duty but with wizards and magic, if they did it right that'd be pretty decent.

Care Packages could be treasure chests, but perhaps you could also send down a mimic instead that could eat an opponent for you?
>>
RetroAhoy makes me moist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OipJYWhMi3k
>>
>>337629403
I found the Soul Cube, but I doubt any of your shitters even know what that is.
>>
>>337628959
it came out in 1996

relax faggot
>>
>>337629149
>rng meme

*hands you a noose*
>>
>>337629073
really, the animation in Quake is pretty crap with it off or on

there's vaguely valid reasons for the lack of smoothing in the original engine (namely, the game generally ran at ~30-40FPS for most people at the time, unless you were some idiot trying to run it on a 486-class machine which had no hope, and smoothing would 1: not be noticeable under those conditions and 2: use up even more precious CPU time), but it sure as hell dated the game's visuals pretty hard, and I can't think of anything else from 1996 that didn't bother with animation smoothing (at least, anything with model animations)

I guess it give the enemies more of an eldritch appearance, too -- they don't move like things of this world with how stepped it is, even if you're running the game at 60fps.

>>337629409
admittedly, yeah
another part of it is the focus on explosives being mainline weapons, and you didn't really save up on rockets quite as much as in other games
>>
File: qw4.gif (2 MB, 300x226) Image search: [Google]
qw4.gif
2 MB, 300x226
>>337628550
>spamming the space bar to pull it off

wanna know how i know you've never played hldm, quakeworld, cpma, or reflex?
>>
Quake 4 is essentially just a remake of Doom 3, its not worth playing desu.
>>
What's the best source port for Quake singleplayer?
>>
DOOM > DOOM 2 >>> DOOM 3 > DOOM 2016
>>
>>337628550
You know half-life deathmatch was created to have the literal same physics as quake, right?

And I greatly prefer HLDM to Quake and still play it to this day, theres no denying the movement isnt literally a VQ1 clone though.
>>
>>337630006
>best source port

lol

get quake and then get nquake and just play the game
>>
>>337630006
Quake runs like a oiled race car on pretty much any computer, John Carmack spent a lot of time future proofing the engine and it shows.
>>
>>337629729
Yes or No, do you think that you can bunny hop in CS with 100% success rate without mods.
If you answer yes, fucking kill yourself you poser shit. CS isn't "hard" to bunny hop, they added RNG to set to jump flag to + or - randomly on each jump to stop TFC/HL-like movement.
You know absolutely nothing. Kill yourself.
>>
>>337630006
Quakedspasm is all you need. Google search for the OST
>>
>>337630009
>DOOM 3 better than DOOM 2016

Am I being memed on?
>>
>>337627426
>next to no exploration
I spent alot of time exploring the maps. In the later stages you can get through the level with only having seen 1/3rd the map.
>>
>>337630489
Wolftenstein TNO took me 6 hours to finish on the hardest difficulty, I'm currently on 10 hours on my nightmare playthrough on Doom because of how non-linear the maps are.
I'm some speedrunner shitter either aiming for high speeds, just casually making my way through the levels.
>>
>>337630485
Yes
>>
>>337627714
We need Bethesda to reboot both Quake 1 and Quake 2 into separate franchises.
>Strogg Wars
>Slipgate Ranger
>>
File: FUCKING PISSED.png (36 KB, 683x536) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING PISSED.png
36 KB, 683x536
>New from Bethesdaâ„¢, creators of universally-acclaimed games such as Falloutâ„¢ 3, Falloutâ„¢ 4 and DOOMâ„¢(R)
>QUAKE

>Ranger talks constantly and makes shitty one-liners, no HUUUH when jumping
>Axe is QTE glory kills and somehow even more useless than the original one
>Nailgun replaced with generic machine gun
>Super nailgun becomes a Painkiller-esque stake shooter
>Lightning replaced with BFG because who cares about Quake anyway, make it more like Doom, the kids like that
>GL and RL weak as shit
>Ogres have machine guns
>Knights have machine guns
>Shamblers... have machine guns
>and are also over-muscled monstrosities with no fur, horns and robot legs
>no mapmaking tools
>shitty story (as opposed to primarily non-existent story)
>ACHIEVEMENT EARNED: I Used To Be A Slipgater Like You...: Kill a Knight by shooting it in the knee with your nailgun
>secrets all hidden behind walls
>no rocket jumping or air movement intended
>multiplayer combines the worst parts of QL (loadouts) with the worst parts of modern shooters (slow movement, lack of movement options, +100XP KILL +50XP HEADSHOT +100XP MULTI KILL +100 TEABAG BONUS)
>Trent Reznor's ambient, gloomy soundtrack replaced by epin neo-metal wubstep throat singing
>no BZZWHEEOORRMMM for Quad Damage pickup
>level design is point A to point B with none of the interconnected complex levels and vertical-oriented design Quake made use of
>>
>>337630793
>>>Slipgate Ranger

fuck you
>>
File: ep28_4.jpg (13 KB, 320x243) Image search: [Google]
ep28_4.jpg
13 KB, 320x243
>season pass
>>
>>337630830
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozUcbeA4jjk
then you come up with a better name
>>
>>337630996
how about quake
>>
>>337630485
No
>>
>>337631049
Original Quake: The Niggurath Mystery Missions
>>
>>337631325
Quake-life 2: Todd Is A Niggurath
>>
>>337630009
>Literally a black screen
>better than anyhting
Ebbin meem , i am waiting for the crack too friend xDD
>>
File: shub-niggurath.jpg (535 KB, 1138x1795) Image search: [Google]
shub-niggurath.jpg
535 KB, 1138x1795
Think we're on to something.
>>
>>337626976
Yeah, probably best designed logo in vidya.
>>
>>337626554
Apologize first, /v/ermin.
>>
>>337628959
>GLQuake instead of the original or a more modern 3D source port, it didn't even have nice lighting (the game used a basic form of HDR lighting, which GLQuake ignores and clamps to 100% brightness

uhh no that's not how glquake's lighting works at all

you are thinkinga bout how fullbrights don't work in glquake and you turned it into something completely and totally different. stfu.
>>
they'll probably reboot quake at some point but it won't outdo reflex as far as multiplayer goes
>>
>>337629804
>and I can't think of anything else from 1996 that didn't bother with animation smoothing (at least, anything with model animations)

? nothing had animation smoothing at that time...you have no idea what you're talkinga bout, no idea about quake and no idea about the 90s and what was going on in gaming. you are the same guy who just said glquakes lighting doesnt work...

fucking clueless
>>
>>337633564
That's a different, unrelated issue. OG Quake's lighting values went past 100%. GLQuake ignores those.
educate yourself
https://www.quaddicted.com/engines/software_vs_glquake

>>337633676
You're actually retarded. Kill yourself.
>>
File: whrrzzzz.png (21 KB, 142x107) Image search: [Google]
whrrzzzz.png
21 KB, 142x107
>>337633315
Saved.
>>
>>337633315
>even stretched ranger to his proper 1.2 scale height
noice
>>
>>337627795
By far.
>>
>>337627724
You've got a serious issue if your memory is that bad
>>
>>337626554
Remember the old timey mods for quake? Like Slide Quake?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jNrtWrCyc8
Or what about Super Hero Quake?
>>
>>337628959
>accidentally removed the soundtrack when switching from Darkplaces to Quakespasm
>too lazy to download again so play it without
>suddenly notice all the cool ambient sound effects in the game that blended in with the music before

Honestly playing Quake without the music made it much more atmospheric to me.
>>
>>337634140
I don't have to "educate myself" on shit because I was part of the quake era, something you can never have :)

referring to shit in a 256 color game as "HDR" makes you sound fucking retarded

every game pre-quake had animation interpolation right though? LOL

not like quake2 was one of the first games to ever do it or anything
>>
>>337630006
http://pastebin.com/jwwr1dtW

Use Quakespasm, do anythithing but listen to the delusional fanboy autists who claim it runs well on newer systems, a source port is as mandatory as it's for Doom.
>>
Is there an equivalent of Smooth Doom for Quake? A mod that enhances the animations, gore and overall game feel without altering gameplay in any way.
>>
>>337634452
why would you just...always play a game with the soundtrack turned on..to begin with?

you play a games soundtrack until youve heard it, then you turn it off
>>
>>337634140
Then don't use GLQuake

Darkplaces has this shit just fine
>>
>>337628578
>Unreal tournament > Unreal
Not for singleplayer.
>>
>>337634681
Many people have tried, including the DarkPlaces source port's fancy extra graphical options.

All of them look fucking TERRIBLE.
>>
>>337634742
>using darkplaces
>ever
among the worst engines you could play quake with

quake should be played with vanilla quake, joequake, directquake, etc...engines that have settings which can mimic the appearance of the original game in software.

throwing bump maps and dynamic lighting over everything in quake was one of the most misguided projects ive ever seen years wasted on.

of course it was exciting near the very beginning, when tenebrae had graphics exceeding what was possible with AAA games at the time
>>
>>337634684
>you play a games soundtrack until youve heard it, then you turn it off
Autism, ladies and gentleman.
>>
>>337634684
Because most games feel hollow without their soundtracks since the sound design isn't given much attention.
>>
>>337634942
all those ports are either depreciated or not updated

just use quakespasm for singleplayer, seriously, plus lots of user maps/mods expect you to use qs/fitzquake
>>
File: smug-face-421.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
smug-face-421.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>337634608
>part of the Quake era
And? It's not like you're the only one who played Quake back in the 90s.
Shit, you're too old to stoop to such a retarded argument.

>quake 2 one of the first games ever to do it
I'm dying. Quake 2 had a lot of innovations, but it's not like smooth model animation was new at that point.

>>337634742
Darkplaces is eh. I'd say just use Quakespasm (which out of the box is pretty much GLQuake but with shit like that fixed).

Hell, aren't some of Darkplaces' default physics settings fucked up? Also, I distinctly remember some odd behavior, like enemies just getting stuck and floating in the air for no reason in it.
>>
>>337626554
I actually wouldn't mind a Quake reboot in the form of a slightly slower, horror-themed FPS. Like a more gothic Dead Space, or DOOM 3 done well for once.
>>
>>337635080
>all those ports are either depreciated or not updated

which matters less than nothing because you are talking about a fucking 20 year old game

you cell phone generation kids seem to think the value of something is inherently tied to whether it receives updates all the time..its not
>>
Darkplaces totally fucks the ambience
>>
>>337635930
and thats why nobody respects or cares for your opinions

>h-hey id like to reboot quake into something that shares zero of its qualities
>>
>>337629495
>They could just make it Call of Duty but with wizards and magic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (99 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
99 KB, 1920x1440
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OipJYWhMi3k
>>
>>337635805
>Hell, aren't some of Darkplaces' default physics settings fucked up? Also, I distinctly remember some odd behavior, like enemies just getting stuck and floating in the air for no reason in it.
I'm not sure about the physics- I've heard people mention that but never found an actual example- but some of the monster behavior is definitely fucked up- enemies that spawn too close to a ceiling won't drop down and enemies already spawned up there but set to ambush mode will never notice the player.

You'll probably only see it in the base game with the floating liver peashooter guys, but it shows up tons in the first mission pack Scourge of Armagon (robo-spiders getting stuck above doorways, in ceilings, etc) and Arcane Dimensions as well (spiders, again, stuck in the roof everywhere).
>>
>>337627795
Nah, you're a fucking idiot
>>
quake was so memorable because 3d hadn't been perfected yet.

once everyone else jumped on board id lost its edge
>>
>>337636402
>Arcane Dimensions
fucking amazing mods

it's amazing what people can do with the quake engine
>>
>>337636342
>Ahoy
based
>>
File: 2959259239.png (68 KB, 1054x688) Image search: [Google]
2959259239.png
68 KB, 1054x688
http://web.archive.org/web/20020120174246/http://www.filefront.com/

literally half as popular as UT in 2002

quake is dogshit
>>
>>337637456
Shame the map quality is so all over the place. Necromancer's Keep is like a visual orgasm... Cruical Error is like punching myself in the cock.

Apparently there's gonna be a new version out this summer with more maps, though, so that's cool.
>>
>>337637879
yeah, necromancer's keep is the first one i played and its god damn impressive

i like how every weapon uses projectiles now, too
>>
The most sad thing about quake today? John carmack became facebook's whore.
>>
>>337637989
>tfw also played necrokeep first and it set such a high standard that cruical and swampy bogbottom became physically painful to slog through
>>
>>337637879
Crucial Error is as good as a base map is going to get, don't get too caught up on one of its super secrets being bullshit
>>
>>337637869
Why do people keep mixing Up quake 3/quake and UT/unreal?

But yeah, everyone knows UT was a better game, not only it had much better level design and variety but also way more interesting weapons and gamemodes.
>>
>>337626554
SP only since we all know quakefags would kill the mp in a week.
>>
>>337638243
It's not just the super secrets, the standard secrets are iffy too- like the one where you have to shoot the three computer screens to blow the pipe up and get to the upper level of the roundabout, but only the middle screen has the standard (+) "SHOOT ME" symbol and none of the other screens in the level but those three can be shot.

I couldn't figure out how the fuck to get the last secret until I ended up going behind the pipe by rocket jumping up from the roundabout, climbing the ladders and finding the secret in reverse.

Crucial is okay and the different grunt types are okay, the flying Quake 2 drone things are iffy, and it just goes on and on and on and ON.
>>
>>337626554
a new campaign would be nice but I'd love an HD remaster of quake 3
>>
>>337636043
>implying Quake's primary draw was SANIC SPEED bunnyjump shootouts and not its creepy descent into Lovecraftian darkness
When will this historical revision meme end? The former was a consequence, the latter was the predominant focus.
>>
>>337639205
Quake is certainly fast, but not as fast as people remember- strafejumping didn't even become a thing until years later; Quake Done Quick didn't even make use of it and barely used rocketjumping.

It seems like people think of Quake 3 as a representative for the whole series.
>>
>>337639761
When you run forward and jump in quake 1 you do a longjump. At harder difficulties the way to beat it was to bunnyhop/longjump everywhere to dodge fire and move quickly in general.
>>
>>337637879
big problem that i found with most quake maps, and AD is no exception, is how huge the maps are

do they actually expect you to go through them in one try? should i savescum everywhere?
>>
>>337639761
It seems faster because of the slower movement later shooters would use. At the time, the genre was brand new and quite likely held design philosophies over from established ones such as platformers. If DOOM and Quake were preceded by more FPS games they would be about as slow as /v/ complains about.

People remember the multiplayer in Quake more than the single player because they put more time in it what with it having no end state and all. This gives people the impression that the multiplayer was a far more significant aspect of the game and id's overall vision than it actually was. I bet a lot of these people don't even remember the days before "+mlook" and the game was still played with keyboard-only or joysticks. Ironic that these people who get this sort of elitism probably never played it when it came out and bought the TR00 SHOOTER MLG hype years after the fact.
>>
>>337640328
Quicksave was there for a reason in the old days.

At least it's not Painkiller. I'll take Quake's grand mazes any day over those oversized giant's warehouses.
>>
>>337640328
Saving is perfectly reasonable in Quake. Not a huge deal in the base game, but lots of usermade maps- especially xbox huge ones like AD's- are downright infuriating and can be upwards of an hour long if you explore them fully and find every secret. Having to re-do all that every time you died to a Fiend spawning behind you and locking you in a corner would be nonsense. Granted, in a multi-level episode Quake doesn't force you to do a shotgun start like Doom's pistol starts if you die (it reverts to the equipment you had upon entering the level), but for huge single levels go ahead and tap F6 once in a while.
>>
>>337640648
>>337640669
oh sorry, i should've specified mods

quake maps are just the right length, in most of them i just save right at the start
>>
>>337640798
If you want similarly sized maps as the original Quake maps, try Beyond Belief.
>>
>>337640798
Definitely save, then. Many newer maps and mods go way beyond Quake's stock map size limit so save whenever. A good map will put a good player in danger a lot, but never outright instagib them or give them impossible odds forty minutes into the fucking map- and doing so is a good way to make the player outright quit and not bother finishing it.
>>
Quake 4 is garbage
>>
>>337640448
>before +mlook
heh, I actually forgot about that

it's been a staple of my autoexec.cfg for ages, but back in the day, I didn't use a mouse to play FPSes
hell, Quake has a bit of vertical auto-aim like Doom did in singleplayer so you didn't have to fiddle around with looking up/down on a keyboard
>>
>>337641000
Quake 4 is great.
>>
File: maxresdefault (7).jpg (356 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (7).jpg
356 KB, 1920x1080
>bad graphics
I don't have set it up right now, but when I did, years ago, it looked better than this (not implying this particular screenshot is pleasant to the eyes).

This game got per-pixel lightning and stencil shadows over a year before Doom 3 was released.
>>
File: maxresdefault (8).jpg (327 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (8).jpg
327 KB, 1920x1080
This one's perhaps a bit better.
>>
File: GL_TEXTUREMODE_NEAREST.gif (84 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
GL_TEXTUREMODE_NEAREST.gif
84 KB, 900x750
>>337641375
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>337641487
literally why
>>
>>337641375
someone post that Doom screenshot with all the "HD textures" mods
>>
File: 260129_full.jpg (251 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
260129_full.jpg
251 KB, 1280x1024
I was just hoping to see at least a Doom 3 or Quake 4 TC mod about the first Quake, but I guess is too much to ask
>>
>>337642034
What would be the point, really?
>>
>>337630820
>Super nailgun becomes a Painkiller-esque stake shooter
I fucking loved the Stake Gun.
>>
>>337630009
>Liking Doom 3 at all
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.