[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games That Missed the Point
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: SMTIV_US_COVER.jpg (329 KB, 1500x1334) Image search: [Google]
SMTIV_US_COVER.jpg
329 KB, 1500x1334
Games that missed what made the previous games in the series great.

>make it so that battles aren't random chance
>instead battles start by attacking or being attacked by enemies on the map
>if the enemy hits you first they get to go first
>remove defense as a stat
>add new smirk system
>game devolves into whoever goes first wins
>>
>Enemy spawns right under Flynn's feet
>Ambushed!
>Fuckface uses Blight
>dead
Fuck.
>>
>>337613962
Non-random encounters is not a bad thing
They fixed the smirk system in Final
The defense stat thing is true
>>
>>337614956

Non-random encounters isn't bad.

Non-random encounters with a shitty sword swing animation determining if you get advantage or not is absolute bullshit.
>>
>>337613962
Infinitely better than random encounters. Plus if you get spotted you usually get fucked anyway
It's good
I think it was great, you could do accurate predictions with that shit once you knew ho much damage it dealt once.
>add new smirk system
Okay I'm not devil's advocate enough to defend that shit but afaik they knew it sucked and removed it in Final
Only true once you get a 1 turn nuke routine.
>>
>>337615176

Nah man, it's true.
Whoever goes first has a huge fucking advantage.

Every single fucking demon feels like a glass canon.
>>
>>337613962
Still better than Strange Journey.
>>
That terrible voice acting.
That terrible mishmash art style.
That terrible difficulty curve (game gets way fucking easy after Naraku, after being unfairly difficult in the beginning.)

Fuck SMTIV easily the worst in the mainline series, and I've played everything from Megaten 1 on the Famicom.
>>
>>337615443

You take that fucking back.
Strange Journey is what should have been SMTIV.
>>
>>337615578
Still better than Nocturne where instant kill = instant game over. Until you can counter that shit you need to have the devil's luck.
>about to kill Daisoujou
>well that was pretty easy
>"DUDE MAHAMAON LMAO"
>>
>>337613962
Still better then random encounter by far.
So what?
This I dislike, they should have made stregnth stat work for physical and gun.
>add new smirk system
Smirk usually wasn't that bad and added some strategy to the game, however its been fixed for Apocalypse.
Only if your under-leveled as fuck.

Main issues I had were dungeon lengths outside of Naraku,that Minotaur and Kenji were the only difficult bosses in the game and that physical and gun attacks cost SP instead of MP which is retarded and makes them almost broken.
>>337615978
>losing to Daisoujou
Git gud.
>>
>>337615096
lol white boy who can't get the rhthym down to swing at the right time
>>
File: 1396783583636.png (258 KB, 351x364) Image search: [Google]
1396783583636.png
258 KB, 351x364
>>337616434
>git gud against literal RNG
It should not be normal that I had to do it in 3 tries because he killed demifiend with Mahamaon even when I was clearly on the winning edge the whole time.
Nocturne is mediocre or at the very least has major problems, accept it.
>>
>>337616434

Can someone explain why everyone and their grandma hates random encounters?

People have shared this sentiment for so long, and I legitimately don't understand it. I remember the first people really complaining about it were gaming journalists a decade ago.

Random encounters work well in turn based games, they're a staple, and they don't really need to change. Having some clunky actiony thing starting battles instead literally adds nothing but tedium to the game, and often times makes the game worse.
>>
>>337616650
>Not pumping luck
>Not putting on a resist expel magatama after you died the first time
>>
>>337616650
>Died 3 times
>didn't have Tetraja
>not leveling up Luck
IVbabies everyone.
>>
>>337616827
>tetarakarn
>makarakan
>tetraja
>luster candy
These are the must haves of any SMT games.
>>
>>337615096
I just equipped a knife-type weapon since it had by far the easiest time hitting the encounters
>>
>>337613962

Having battles on the world mak is good

The other points are valid, stat changes and smirking are cancer.
>>
>>337616727
>>337616827
Come on. I'm forced to raise fucking LUCK because of this game's bullshit ?
Also I didn't find any expel/death resisting magatama at this stage of the game, and even if I had Tetraja I was supposed to cast it every turn ?
>>337617108
I think you don't really remember at which part of the game Daisoujou is. At this point if you have even Agilao you are the fucking kingpin
>>
>>337615681
Strange Journey is what SMT3 should have been. Nocturne is the red headed stepchild of the series.
>>
>>337617285
You can get a null expel one from the junk shop in the Giza Underpass, and luck is generally really good in SMT games. They prevent ailments and instant death, makes it easier to inflict it on enemies, increases crit chance, and increases the chance to get bonuses from levelling up and your demons levelling up
>>
>>337617683
Fair enough, but I really remember considering all my options to block instant death spells and not finding anything other than praying.
>>
>>337615681
>>337617354

retards. Strange journey is garbage, gameplay is simplistic and the whole thing in a chore. It doesn't even have the depth of smt 1-2 in trying to survive with proper management though the bland dungeon crawl.
>>
>>337615681
>>337617354
>Strange Journey is literally the new Nocturne

The gameplay is fucking garbage, almost everyone agrees on this.
>>
>>337613962
How the FUCK am I supposed to afford anything at that super expensive 5-star shop? Is it some NG+++ shit?
>>
>>337618987
>>337619163
The combat sucks, everything else ranges from great to fine
>>
>>337619353
Bring some more Macca next time
>>
>>337619406
The combat and design sucks. It's a chore and boring to play, the only thing decent is the story.

it's a bad game.
>>
>>337619581
The dungeon design is objectively the best in the series by far, what are you talking about?
>>
>>337615096
git gud
>>
>>337619736
>The dungeon design is objectively the best in the series by far

no it isn't, and the design in such a dungeon crawler is superfluous. It's too easy to survive, there is no tension, and the combat is very shallow. It's worse than SMT 1-2 and those were not very good games despite their style.

The game being good is a meme. As is Nocturne being bad.
>>
>>337613962
I agree with everything except
This has been true ever since they introduced press turn, at least for the player.
>>
>>337615346
Except for Beelzebub, fuck that faggot, took at least 20 tries and bunch of cheesing and rare item consumption to kill his insect satan ass.
>>
>>337613962
The new battle engagement system is much better, I want to have at least some agency on whether or not I get in a fight. also enemies don't always get to go first if they attack you on the map, it seemed to be random when I played.
>>
>>337619480
Wastrel Beam :^)
>>
File: confusedandfrightened.jpg (46 KB, 500x594) Image search: [Google]
confusedandfrightened.jpg
46 KB, 500x594
>>337620385
>The dungeon design in a dungeon crawler is superfluous
>>
>>337616686
Strangely enough, my biggest complaint with them is interrupting the BGM. Games where the BGM flows seemlessly into combat and out of it increase my enjoyment of random encounters tenfold.

Other than that, random encounters punish exploration by increasing the time it takes exponentially to search areas fully. It would help if for every encounter you had on a dungeon floor, subsequent ones took longer to happen, until you were free to look around without being interrupted. This is particularly true in older games where encounters were often very common.

Either that, or do it like Earthbound or games that had a repel/marble 3 item. Overleveling an area reduces encounters in that area until you get none.
>>
>>337617285
Pretty sure Tetraja stays in effect until you get hit by instant death, or at least that's how it works in other SMTs. It's not like the spells that repel physical or magic for one turn.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.