[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally played this three years after its release. /v/ was actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 22
Finally played this three years after its release. /v/ was actually right, this game is stupidly overrated.

Let's have a TLOU thread. What do you like or dislike about it? Do you think that it's a "10/10" experience? Would you call the writing "good"?
>>
It's not on master race platform, so it's an istant 0/10 to me.
>>
>>337588425
It was alright but I started to get bored around the time Joel got injured and you had to kill those cannibals as Ellie. I beat that part and then uninstalled the game about a year ago.
>>
Let's not and say we did.
>>
>>337588650
But winter was the best bit
>>
It's fucking brilliant
>>
>>337588772
This. It was comfy.
>>
It was fun. The multiplayer is still awesome.
>>
It was interesting enough that I watched an entire longplay of it. Not worth buying a console for, though if I had a PS3/4 I'd definitely buy it.
>>
I played lately and I got blast. Gameplay remind me of old survival horrors - limited supplies, slow approach, looking for variety and thinking instead of shoot everything as fast as you can. Environment is gorgeous and well detailed, one of the best post apocalyptic visions I saw in game. Only flaw is medicore enemies AI. Not tried MP yet.

Why so much people shit on his game here anyway?
>>
File: 1462443762641.jpg (485 KB, 1080x1056) Image search: [Google]
1462443762641.jpg
485 KB, 1080x1056
>>337588425
>>
>>337589431
>Why so much people shit on his game here anyway?

Because normies loved it.
>>
Could have been a nice movie or short series, ended up an abomination of sorts, the gameplay and cutscenes just dont fit together at all.
>>
>>337588772
>>337588867
Would be even better if had more exploration like other chapters though.
>>
>>337589905
>the gameplay and cutscenes just dont fit together at all.

How so?
>>
>>337589431
It was hailed as the greatest game of the generation/ever made by a lot of people and this triggers /v/
>>
>>337588425
I thought it was below verage in all respects and the story was fucking stupid.

It put me to sleep just watching my friend play(read walk and talk) and when he got stuck and I helped him the game responded like shit and it was easy.
>>
>>337590076

>Joel getting super fucked up by a single nail in a cutscene although hes constantly getting shot during gameplay and walks it off
>Ellie being a small girl gets utterly destroyed by a single adult male and only survives because he dicked around in a cutscene genocides countless men who try real hard to kill her during gameplay
>generally, both chars are held back by their age and Ellie cuz shes female, but they still kill hundreds of adult men in gameplay. The movie part tries to be realistic, those 2 "weak" characters are a fucking army tho
>Cutscene going full emotional about Ellie and Joel parting, gameplay resumes, Ellie walks into a wall immediately cause the AI sucks, ruins mood
>Cutscenes should make me feel bad for killing others who just want to survive, but gameplay throws hundreds of nameless guys with no background to kill at you, complete contradiciton in what Im supposed to feel
>>
File: Retarded Brick.webm (3 MB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
Retarded Brick.webm
3 MB, 900x506
Do I post my webms yet?
>>
>>337588425
I actually really enjoyed it. Recently replayed it on grounded mode and got my dick pushed in.

Joel was right
>>
Not as good as tumblr thinks, but not nearly as bad as /v/ thinks

Sequel will either be goat or meh
>>
>>337591040
>Sequel

Pls no. It's fine the way it is.
>>
File: 1462925776196.png (185 KB, 1219x899) Image search: [Google]
1462925776196.png
185 KB, 1219x899
>>337588545
You don't have to say it we already know.
>>
>>337591372
But unfortunately it will print money so it'll happen
>>
It was a fairly good game with a nicely told story however I will never think that a game which is so linear, so safe, and where you fetch ladders to get by the next obstacle is "10/10 pinnacle of gaming" it's so fucking lame.

It is a fine game but how does it use the medium to do something awesome? It tells an above average plot I'll give it that but the gameplay is nothing special. 7 or 8/10 it deserves at most. Naughty dog makes good games but they're too safe and too boring all around to be considered masterpieces, I can only imagine extreme casuals hype this shit up all the time.
>>
I enjoyed, there are a lot of cutscenes, but I think they're paced out pretty well.

The gunplay is good, but the stealth is kinda shitty.

As far as the writing goes, it's certainly good by video game standards, though that's not really saying much.

It's a solid 7 or 8/10.
>>
>>337591490
I don't get why console loyalists are so insecure about their consoles; these retards are just pathetic.
>>
File: 1430895379166.jpg (365 KB, 2000x1087) Image search: [Google]
1430895379166.jpg
365 KB, 2000x1087
TLOU is better than all four uncharted combined.
>>
>>337591750
I'm enjoying 4 but TLOU is still altogether a much better game.
>>
>>337591750
Nah, U4 is still better than TLOU. It's better than the first three games, but the character interactions in U4 put it above TLOU for me.
>>
>>337591372
I agree, anon, but it's inevitable...
>>
>>337591927

Uncharted has god awful shooting.

How could you have god awful shooting when that's your ONLY part that has actual gameplay.

TLOU has surprisingly good shooting, very very satisfying
>>
>>337591750
No. Uncharted 1 and 2 are definitely better than TLOU. Drake is a much better character than Joel or Ellie.
>>
>>337591927
Sam is a much better character than I thought he'd be. Good bantz
>>
>>337591927
Is 4s MP like 2s? That horde mode was so fucking clutch
>>
>>337592064

Why is uncharted better? And don't use story or characters as reasons.
>>
>>337591750

All of those games are highly optimized for a one-and-done run through the story, but TLoU is the absolute worst at it. There's no point replaying in Grounded if the game's so determined to have you play cinematic shit that you don't get into proper gunfight or challenging area for like half an hour. And then even after an actual shooting/stealth section you're back to "noninteractive hallway where you walk and listen to the dialogue" segments over and over again.

I seem to recall Uncharted 2 being the most fun to replay. 1 was still a bit wonky and 3 had that stupid-ass mindless wandering through the desert.
>>
>>337592271
>don't use the only things these games have going for them in a big way

Wew
>>
The story was good

The gameplay was pretty standard 3pers shoot and stealth

The atmosphere was amazing

Imho of coorzz
>>
>>337588425
The melee and assassinating people felt satisfying as fuck
>>
>>337590812
Nigga, that was no nail.
>>
>>337592538
Yeah, it was fucking rebar
>>
>>337590812
>>337590812
>single nail
Are you serious?
>hes constantly getting shot during gameplay and walks it off
So he should die after getting one hit? Game would be unplayable
>he movie part tries to be realistic, those 2 "weak" characters are a fucking army tho
It happens in all games anon. They should put like 2 or 3 enemies to kill in game?
Ellie was trained in military school by the way.
>Cutscenes should make me feel bad for killing others who just want to survive
Which ones? Also every person you kill in game tiries to kill you.
>>
File: stop.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
stop.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>337592373

They're video games anon, gameplay is the only thing that matters
>>
>>337592829
Then these games are 6/10 average at best
>>
>>337588425
I really liked it. Just wish it was on PC so we could have even better graphics.
>>
>>337588425
I liked the game, it was cool, but god damn, yes, so overrated, it's just a cinematic game where you from cinematics to shooting phases.

Not a bad experience, would play again, but it's nowhere near the status of masterpiece.
>>
>>337590812
>>Cutscenes should make me feel bad for killing others who just want to survive, but gameplay throws hundreds of nameless guys with no background to kill at you, complete contradiciton in what Im supposed to feel

wat. Do you want Naughty Dog to show you the bandit's wife and kids? Do you want the bandit to go "Please, I got a family" just for the sake of "muh morals."

The whole point of the game is that there is no moral black and white. You shouldn't feel bad killing people who are trying to kill you, especially in the post-apocalypse you fucking SJW
>>
>>337592829
Story and atmosphere is part of gameplay experience
>>
>>337592927

6 is generous for uncharted, TLOU maybe
>>
>>337592829
And that is why Uncharted and TLoU are trash.
>>
>>337590812
>A single nail

Did you even play the game? He was fucking impaled on a piece of rebar.
>>
>>337590843
Great dialogue. It still needed a "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids." to be a true 10/10.
>>
>>337592769
a whole piece of fucking rebar right through the gut u mong
>>
>>337593050

TLOU has a fun game beyond all the story nonsense. Uncharted is literally not fun to play and hobbles along with slick writing.
>>
>>337593050
How so? They have good gameplay, story and graphics. Not happen much combined for games.
>>
>>337593157
Was trying to back you up m8
>>
>>337593213
dat aint me
>>
>>337593203
>They have good gameplay
Nope
>>
>>337593203

>good gameplay

Uncharted's gameplay, when it actually happens, it complete garbage. It's infurating how the industry sucks Naughty Dog's dick for a series that is so god awful when it comes to actual gameplay
>>
>>337593036
I really liked the arcade feel of uncharted 1 though
>>
>>337593317
You're right. Great gameplay I mean.
>>
>>337593486
Nope again
Mediocre at best
>>
>>337592802

>single nail
Are you serious?

Its been some time, who gives a shit what it was exactly. Dude gets shot tons of time and doesnt give a fuck and turns vulnerable in cutscenes, thats the point.

>So he should die after getting one hit? Game would be unplayable

As I said, thats why the game is an abomination, you cant have a realistic story with vulnerable people and then let them act like theyre Goku during gameplay.

Thats also why I said it would have been a great movie or series - no one would make a series where Joell kills hundreds of men, it would focus on the story and include MAYBE 10 kills. The story would be much better this way, not to mention real actors could have carried that shit much better than PS3/PS4 graphics.

>hes constantly getting shot during gameplay and walks it off
So he should die after getting one hit? Game would be unplayable
>he movie part tries to be realistic, those 2 "weak" characters are a fucking army tho
It happens in all games anon. They should put like 2 or 3 enemies to kill in game?
Ellie was trained in military school by the way.
>Cutscenes should make me feel bad for killing others who just want to survive
Which ones? Also every person you kill in game tiries to kill you.

>Ellie was trained in military school by the way.
Cool, and all adult men spent the years after the infection picking their noses? They are all gun-carrying survivors and should have more experience and physical capability than Ellie.
>>
>>337593591
Nope.
>>
>>337593672
Yep.
>>
+good writing and characters
+satisfying shooting and general gory feedback
+great atmosphere
+amazing presentation all around
+interesting multiplayer
+good length

-pacing issues
-shallow, mediocre systems and mechanics
-cliche and dull story
-little enemy variation
-horribly repetitive setups and encounters
-wonky AI and inconsistent animations
-fucking terrible mp matchmaking
-little replay value thanks to how the game is setup

its a "good" game, but its gameplay is a victim of its presentation.
>>
>>337593672
>shootout with 5 guys
>pickup aammo
>run in linear path
>kill 5-10 more
>run linea- WHOAH ELLIE HOLD ON I GOTCHA GIRL
>SHIT ITS THE TURKS
>kill 20 people
>Ellie..are u OK
>linear path
>kill 10 guys in shootout
>Elliee..we really are the last of us..

10/10 gameplay gotyay
>>
>>337593658
>who gives a shit what it was exactly.
Well, it makes your argument even more stupid?
>As I said, thats why the game is an abomination
According to your logic every game is abomination.
>They are all gun-carrying survivors and should have more experience and physical capability than Ellie.
And they have? Whole gameplay part with Ellie was based on taking enemies by suprise because she had multiple times less health than Joel and incapable of fighting with fist like him.
>>
File: image.jpg (287 KB, 1105x723) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
287 KB, 1105x723
>>337588425
Its one of the few games where "cinematography" and sound design was good enough that it can affect your mentality.
Near the end you are thrown a gauntlet of lots of enemies and even those boomer guys. Due to the lighting and music used near the end it made the atmosphere feel calm and tension free despite the number of enemies so you just breeze through the area.

Also there's something poetic about grabbing an assault rifle at the last level and finding out its better than all the weapons that you have been with for hours and have been spending resources upgrading
>>
>>337593849
>You kill enemies and collect ammo in third person shooters, holy shit how is this even accpetable?
>it's not full open world game so it's bad
>it's linear even though there are multiple paths to approach enemies and multiple ways to kill them
>>
>>337594035
Originally, those Fireflies you slaughter your way through at the Hospital were all going to have individual character models, VA's and names, which they would call out to eachother as they were killed. To give you the sense you were fucking massacring an entire community.

The PS3 couldn't take it, so in the trash went the idea.
>>
>>337593701
[citation needed]
>>
>>337588425
I like the always low never empty thing they had going on.
They always tried to make sure the player never had a full cartridge of ammo types but also never empty so they programmed enemies to drop more shit when you have less shit.
>>
>>337594424
Gonna need a citation on the necessity of a citation there anon.
>>
Lol to all people saying uncharted has bad gameplay when they haven't played 4
>>
>>337594020

>Well, it makes your argument even more stupid?

Argument: Joel is Goku during gameplay, a bitch in cutscenes. Still stands, you still cant refute it.

>According to your logic every game is abomination.
Bullshit. Dante or The Chosen Undead arent bitches that nearly get killed by stuff like that in cutscenes In fact, its up to you to provide examples of other games with such an enormous gap between character power during gameplay and cutscenes. Also, most games dont try as hard to tell a story, TLOU clearly set a higher standard and failed.

>And they have? Whole gameplay part with Ellie was based on taking enemies by suprise because she had multiple times less health than Joel and incapable of fighting with fist like him.

Could an actual teenage girl do what Ellie did in RL? Maybe at a 0,001% chance if we are generous. That would be ok in a "pure" video game, but its shit when you try to tell a realistic story. Again, if it was a real movie, Ellie wouldnt kill so many guys, even with stealth.
>>
>>337594237
There's nothing special about TLOU or Uncharted gameplay sorry. It has very little depth, there's a reason why these games are solely praised for their plots and characters over everything else. Gameplay was a second thought and a means to just move the story forward. You are a bigger shit eating casual than I imagined if you actually think it's really good.
>>
>>337594237
its more in how the game repeats the same shit over and over and over. the same 3-4 enemies, the same gauntlets, the same "puzzles", the same setups in general. every now and then you get something interesting thrown at you, but for ~80-85% of the game its exactly the same only in a different area. the actual systems arent bad, but they dont do anything interesting with them. their grounded in reality to a fault.
>>
I would have liked to play longer in the initial outbreak timeline. The whole chaos shit going crazy thing is never eally touched upon in games, it's always 10 YEARS AFTER.
>>
>>337594587
>Joel is Goku during gameplay, a bitch in cutscenes.

He's not. For example after getting impaled in cutscene he can barely move in gameplay section. I don't see any cutscene when someone take him like a bitch.

>Bullshit. Dante or The Chosen Undead arent bitches that nearly get killed by stuff like that in cutscenes
So only games that are acceptable for you are those with supernatural overpowered charactes.
>Could an actual teenage girl do what Ellie did in RL? Maybe at a 0,001% chance if we are generous.
Like I said she wasn't actual average teenage girl.
>>337594695
There is nothing bad about it and all your arguments were silly like I proved it. In every review gameplay of TLOU and Uncharted is also praised so you are wrong.
>you are bigger shit eating casual
This is all you have? Underage insults? How old you are?
>>
>>337588425
I liked the gunfight, Ellie, the character development, the global ambiance and the FEELS.
>>
>He's not. For example after getting impaled in cutscene he can barely move in gameplay section. I don't see any cutscene when someone take him like a bitch.

Which is a direct followup to the cutscene that does a full 180 on how Joells body works up until that point.

>So only games that are acceptable for you are those with supernatural overpowered charactes.

Are you retarded or just dodging my point? I dont mind realistic characters at all, but if you make a video game that tries real hard to set up a realistic story and atmosphere, make your characters realistic throughout the entire game. You also didnt deliver a single example of a video game where the MC changes power level this hard during a cutscene, let alone in a story-oriented game.

Like I said she wasn't actual average teenage girl.
And no trained teenage girl could pull that shit off in RL, and especially not against a huge number of men who are also trained.
>>
>>337596028
>Which is a direct followup to the cutscene that does a full 180 on how Joells body works up until that point.
Really? He's shown to hurt bad and barely moves right away.
>, but if you make a video game that tries real hard to set up a realistic story and atmosphere, make your characters realistic throughout the entire game. You also didnt deliver a single example of a video game where the MC changes power level this hard during a cutscene, let alone in a story-oriented game.
Again, according to your point there is no reason to make believable story and characters because they can't die with one hit. This is really stupid argument.
>fight with Vergil for the first time
>beat him easily
>in cutscene seconds later he put me down without effort
Your examples were pretty stupid too. Same goes for MGS series and other games.
>>
>>337594903
this
the start of the game was fun besides the "cutscenes" sections . then it went all to shit after 2 hours of gameplay
>>
It's a good game just not a 10/10 experience. I'm satisfied with my play through.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (16 KB, 517x284) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
16 KB, 517x284
The game is good, but the final is fucking terrible
>>
>>337591040
As long as the sequel isn't about Joel and Ellie. If its a prequel about Joel and Tommy I'd be happy.
Joel and Ellie's story is over and it would ruin the first game if they did a direct sequel with them in it.
>>
File: barg.jpg (313 KB, 1090x1090) Image search: [Google]
barg.jpg
313 KB, 1090x1090
Regardless of how anyone felt about it, the multiplayer was surprisingly good.

Just wish you had more aesthetic options.
(pic not related)
>>
>>337591040
they said the sequel has new main characters
>>
>>337595575
I feel sorry for you, how much of a low brain capacity you must have to think the shallow gameplay of tlou is good. It has zero depth.
>>
>>337591750
It's the worst game Naughty Dog has put out on PS3. Still a good game, but just an 8/10 where all the uncharteds are 9 or above.
>>
>>337597097
I don't see arguments just underage insults. I think it's you who have brain problems considering that,
>>
Really? He's shown to hurt bad and barely moves right away.

Yes, and the entire game before he hardly gives a fuck about taking bullets to the stomach. Afterwards as well.

Again, according to your point there is no reason to make believable story and characters because they can't die with one hit. This is really stupid argument.

No idea what you are trying to say here, Realistic people get fucked up real hard by guns, Joell should get fucked up by guns or take the cutscene injury like everything else and hed be consistant. Joell isnt consistent at all.

>fight with Vergil for the first time
>beat him easily
>in cutscene seconds later he put me down without effort

Its still Vergil,what happens in TLOU is like Dante destroying Vergil and then losing a fight to a 5 year old. And DMC isnt all about story, its not as bad in this games case.

>MGS series without even bringing a specific example
Nanomachines, son.

>"Other series"
Nice argument m8, im convinced.
>>
>>337597367
You can cover your ears and scream all you want but my point of it being an average tps with no depth is still there. Tlou is praised for being a movie. Fuck off back to plebbit
>>
>>337594873
>its more in how the game repeats the same shit over and over and over. the same 3-4 enemies, the same gauntlets

>enemies with shotguns
>enemies with guns
>snipers
>enemies with molotov coctails
>enemies with melee weapons
>enemies with assault rifles
>infected runners
>infected stalkers
>infected clickers
>infected bloaters

All enemies do different damage or have different health, speed, behaviour. There are multiple ways to take them down - melee/shooting, stealth - considering numbers, supplies and surrounding. TLOU is actually praised for combat variety.
>>
>>337597925
>but my point of it being an average tps with no depth is still there
Your point is worthless considering it don't have any arguments.
>Tlou is praised for being a movie
Show me single review where game is called a movie or gameplay is not praised.
>Fuck off
Why are you so mad over video games? Are you underage?
>>
I played it after shitting on it with /v/. Was the game that actually taught me to stop listening to /v/. Brother bought it so I figured why not. Actually loved it. To each their own. You don't need to love it or hate it.
>>
>>337597904
>Yes, and the entire game before he hardly gives a fuck about taking bullets to the stomach. Afterwards as well.
There are multiple difficulty level. How do you expect any game with multiple enemies where you die with one hit? Are you serious?
>Its still Vergil,what happens in TLOU is like Dante destroying Vergil and then losing a fight to a 5 year old.
What? How so? It's inconsistent too. In one moment I beat enemy easy and take hits from him like nothing in other he put me down with 2 hits. Do you see how your argument is stupid?
>Nanomachines, son.
Snake had nanomachines? He take multiple bullets yet in another scene he's put down by getting couple of punches. And MGS has more cutscenes than TLOU. What now?
>nice argument
I know, it puts your to shame.

Also work on quotation, it's terrible.
>>
>>337598635
>your argument has no argument

Kill yourself redditor
>>
>>337599345
>it's bad because I said so
>argument
>kill yourself

Again, what is your age?
>>
File: 1458885964456.gif (2 MB, 270x138) Image search: [Google]
1458885964456.gif
2 MB, 270x138
>>337599223
I don't know why you're arguing with him. I mean I think it's pretty obvious anyone who uses that "he can get shot a lot in game but dies to one hit in cutscene" argument legitimately just wants to hate the game and is grasping for anything that lets them do that.

It's a fucking video game of course that's how it's going to work in most games. If he died to one shot in game this nigga would be saying it was too realistic.
>>
File: tlou retarded AI.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tlou retarded AI.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>337588425
>>
>There are multiple difficulty level. How do you expect any game with multiple enemies where you die with one hit? Are you serious?

You are going full oxymoron. Realistic people get fucked up or die to gunshots, thats a fact. If you want multiple enemies and your character to survive multiple gunshots, he cannot be realistic anymore, which is ok. But at that point, ESPECIALLY IF YOU TRY TO TELL A CONSISTENT STORY, your MC cant get injured for months the way Joel did.

They could have just left the injury subplot out or made it a fucking movie which would have been a hundred times better and consistent and this problem wouldnt exist.

>What? How so? It's inconsistent too. In one moment I beat enemy easy and take hits from him like nothing in other he put me down with 2 hits. Do you see how your argument is stupid?

1. Theres always the good old "Vergil wasnt really trying before the cutscene" excuse, doesnt work in any way for TLOU
2. DMC doesnt try to tell a perfectly realistic and consistent story, flaws like that matter far less in it
3. Even ignoring those 2 points, you are fanny flustered over Vergil beating you in the cutscene, but blindly defend TLOU, which is a much bigger offense. Why?

>Snake had nanomachines? He take multiple bullets yet in another scene he's put down by getting couple of punches. And MGS has more cutscenes than TLOU. What now?

MGS story is a bunch of random animu bullshit on every level and we both know it. Its full of shit like 4 beautiful girls being evil after le traumatic experiences and the cool black shop dude telling their lifes stories after you killed them, edgy cyborgs, halfnaked grandmas and more. Dont try to compare it to fucking TLOUs down to earth story.
>>
File: tlou remastered bug.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tlou remastered bug.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>
File: 1441298140294.jpg (47 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1441298140294.jpg
47 KB, 480x480
"Nobody will even remember TLOU a month from now." - /v/ after the game was released
>>
Too much walking and talking disguised as gameplay. The gunplay was actually good so I was incredibly frustrated at how long some of the downtime was for a story that really didn't strike me as a magnum opus for video games like some people say it is.
>>
File: Tlou es para idiotas.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Tlou es para idiotas.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>
File: burn.jpg (19 KB, 493x335) Image search: [Google]
burn.jpg
19 KB, 493x335
>>337597925
aww, baby got burnt
>>
>>337600676
I think in the canon storyline he never gets shot, the player just gets him shot, but it didn't actually happen in the canon storyline as he has no bullet wounds in the citizens. You would have to be autistic for this to be a negative. Otherwise there would be no game, it would just be like The Walking Dead game
>>
>>337600217

I think the story is very good and was mostly ruined by the video game part that doesnt fit with the cutscenes at all. Thats all Im arguing with this dude since the very beginning.

Ellies AI is so bad, they had to make her borderline invisible and invulnerable to enemies, but they kept her. The focus of TLOU is clearly on the story, to the point where ND left in a broken "core" game mechanic. And that story is dragged into the dirt by the gameplay.
>>
>>337590812
>He didn't play on Grounded mode
>>
It's an 8/10.

Good writing
God tier animation/direction/voice acting for the cutscenes
Great atmosphere and attention to detail in the environments
Gameplay is standard but polished third person shooting
>>
>>337588425
The game itself is fine. The biggest problem is that it takes way too much from its influences, so I have to question if the good writing is really the product of the writers, or from the influences theyre taking their ideas from.

the gameplay I like, its basically Uncharted, I like Uncharted for what it is. I mostly like talking to your buddies and finding papers and clippings about the world. that's fun, Resident Evil esque world building (reading the papers I mean, I love that stuff in games if it isnt a whole entire book worth of muh lore).
Really, its just an unoriginal game. It's very well made, but I feel people just really overhyped it because either they dont read (most likely), or they really like post apocalypse scenarios.
>>
File: tlow for retard.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tlow for retard.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Hi Naughty Dog marketer.
>>
>>337592829
if gameplay was the only thing that mattered every video game would just be made up of untextured cubes and spheres
>>
>>337600676
>you are fanny flustered Vergil beating you in the cutscene, but blindly defend TLOU
I'm not flustrated by anything, just show examples how your argument don't work, it's even more funny because you used DMC as counter argument.
>MGS story is a bunch of random animu bullshit on every level
MGS, especially first one took itself quite seriously and it's praised for story.
You can't make gameplay in any game identical to real life because it would be boring/unplayable.
>>
>>337591750
Uncharted 2 and 4 are both better.
>>
I thought it was a fun game with an above average story. Combat definitely had more depth than the Uncharted games which I also enjoy.
I wouldn't call it a masterpiece though, or say it's in my top 10.
>>
>>337591490
Lol nintendrones on butthurt blast
>>
The real TLOU and even Uncharted are actually the multi-player if you think about it.

In the case of TLOU, in factions you face real humans, in an intense match, where you actually have to craft stuff in the heat of the moment, play tactically, and use the right weapons in the right situations etc. The survival aspect is 10X better in the MP.

In Uncharted, the platforming is finally non linear in the multi-player. You can get around the arenas in many different way, while in the single player the platforming is practically pointless as, it's literally a tmstraight line %100 of the time (I have heard u4 is a bit more open in this regard, but I haven't played it, and I assume it's still no where close to the traversal found in the multi-player)
>>
>I'm not flustrated by anything, just show examples how your argument don't work, it's even more funny because you used DMC as counter argument.

Ignoring my points why its not comparable, nice.

>MGS, especially first one took itself quite seriously and it's praised for story.

Its jap animu stuff and has a utterly different feeling than TLOU, no realism can be expected in any way from MGS.

>You can't make gameplay in any game identical to real life because it would be boring/unplayable.

1.What are simulations?
2. ND could have come up with more puzzles, conversations and choices during gameplay, hunting wild animals, stealth.Could still be a fantastic and realistic game that way.
3. ND could have made it a realistic movie and it would have been much better than the game/movie abomination we have now. Movies are better at telling stories, especially if you arent even allowed to make any choices like in TLOU - the damn thing is on the wrong medium, you just desperately want it to be a game for no reason.
>>
>>337590812
>the game is not realistic so therefore it sucks
>>
File: 1402686305653.jpg (53 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1402686305653.jpg
53 KB, 330x319
>>337591490
O fuck, I swear it someone from here
>>
>>337590909

I've been replaying grounded with a buddy recently and we're having a blast. Halfway through Winter now. Gonna show him Manhunt after we're done. I've noticed a lot of similarities in the two this time around.
>>
>>337602179
>Ignoring my points why its not comparable, nice.
What points? Like Vergil was just pretending to be weak during gameplay part but not in cutscene somehow?
>Its jap animu stuff
How Snake is "animu sfuff"? He's shown pretty normal in cutscenes yet takes multiple bullets in chest aside of them. MGS is science-fiction do does TLOU. Your double standards don't work.
>1.What are simulations?
Video games that are still different from reality?
>>
TLoU defense force in full today
>>
>>337588425
It's a 7/10 game that people made sound like a 10/10

>flawed level design
>extremely repetitive
>you never fully enjoy upgrade system, because when you start getting better weapons, the game just ends
>frustrating sections that force you to simply run past corridors because stealth isn't rewarding enough
>killing enemies won't do shit, so it's better to just ignore them and proceed
>no real boss fights, only a fat monster (which later becomes a regular enemy) and a QTE fest that's some human "boss" late in the game
>takes too long to end. Story loses its momentum after the twist wasn't really a twist and the only meaningful death in the game really didn't happen
>repetitive puzzles
>>
So basically what you are saying is if you want to tell a realistic story, the game has to be realistic? Is there even a single game that follows this criteria?
>>
>>337592476
It still has some of the most satisfying melee I can think of.

There's a strong balance of hitting hard and effectively, without breaking the combat and undermining the use of guns.
>>
>>337603098
you'll have to expand on the "flawed level design" a bit.
>>
Also, gameplay was fucked up. Aiming is too realistic to be enjoyable, the fucking characters tremble like they have Parkinson's, specially when it forces you to fight enemies (more tension). The aiming simply don't work. Not even the most realistic games in that regard have such a poor reticle and controls.

Solution? Run past enemies, mash the punch button until you win. Throw grenades. Grab pipes and wooden clubs. The game just disencourages using guns, so what's the point on even trying?
>>
>>337591750
Uncharted 2 and 3 are way better. TLOU is still better than 1 and 4 though I guess.
>>
>>337594415
Maybe when we inevitably massacre someone in the sequel.
>>
>>337602208
Nice to see reading comprehension is always so low on the internet.
>>
>>337603098
>flawed level design
How so?
>extremely repetitive
>>337598339
>>you never fully enjoy upgrade system, because when you start getting better weapons, the game just ends
You get strong weapons in mid game and can play fully upgraded versions in new game +
>frustrating sections that force you to simply run past corridors because stealth isn't rewarding enough
How it's not rewarding? You save multiple supplies because of it.
>takes too long to end
Game being long is bad thing now?
>repetitive puzzles
Actually only valid point
>>
Implying the TLOU easter egg in UC4 isn't a direct hint at the sequel storyline where we play as Preggo Ellie.
>>
>>337588425
It's great but not a perfect 10

I'd say it's a solid 8.5
>>
Single player was meh but the multiplayer was one of my favourites (not sure how it is these days is it dead?)
>>
>>337603454
the upgrades help, though. and the game wants you to use stealth, and you have plenty of ways to stealth your way through places. the aiming never really bothered me that much, but I do wonder how a man used to killing bandits has such shitty aim.
>>
>>337603392
Exploration is basically searching furniture for the same items: medicine components, gun parts or firefly tags. There's no sense of choice or discovery, there aren't branching paths, only a single obvious road blocked by trash and old cars. Then they put some enemies in to make the game last longer. The "stealth" sections get repetitive after a couple corridors, it always works like that
>find a building that's in the way of your objective
>enter it
>eliminate any enemies inside
>search for medicine and gun parts
>exit
>go back to road
>another building
>repeat until the game ends

At my first hours I was worried about the ton of content that could be hidden in buildings or streets, so I began searching carefully every area trying to get some interesting secrets unveiled. Nothing. 15 hours later, the game ends and I realize there's no reason to replay it since it was pretty straightforward. Basically a 15 hour game that could be way more enjoyable as a 4-5h campaign that allowed countless possibilities of exploration, branching, choices and consequences for letting your partners die. That's the kind of survival game it should have been.
>>
>>337598339
>>337603757
The game suffers what a lot of 3rd person cover shooters suffer from. The obvious. You walk into places with waist high cover all the time. And don't try to front, the varied enemies do little to change things up.
>>
>>337603757
Tell me a reason to play New Game + and I take your defense
>>
>>337588425
Actual shooting and stealth sections are a solid 9/10. Exploration and scavenging sections are a comfy/10. Everything else is shit.
>>
>>337604459
To play game. I don't know people do it to play games?
>tell me reason to eat same food and watch same movie
>>
>>337604340
I feel the same for every game

>enter area
>eliminate all enemies
>go further
>repeat until the game ends
>>
>>337591729
When you're a Nintendofag, there's plenty to be insecure about.
>>
>>337604340
ok, I was genuinely curious, didnt want to sound like a dick. I pretty much agree, the game has a linear formula of exploring-fighting-exploring-dumb puzzle-fightig exploring. I also marvelled how these asshole bandits manage to have 50 or more guys in their crew when they either are cannibals or kill whoever is around.
>>
>>337603757
>Game being long is bad thing now?
Would you like to watch a 6h movie full of fillers where the only purpose is reaching 6h mark? That's how I felt about this game. It could have been way more enjoyable if it was shorter and more replayable, with a better level design everywhere.
>>
>>337588425
What did you expect from an interactive movie?
>>
>>337604868
I felt opposite. Whole game was high quality so being long was another advantage of it.
>>
>>337604826
Yeah, take it literally, like every game forces you to deal with the same enemies for 15 hours without a single change in pacing, boss fight or sense of choice, of changing anything in a possible New Game+ run.

Do a little google about replay value. Your games doesn't seem to have that. Not my fault if your tastes are shit.
>>
>>337605015
hahahahahaha

I wonder if that's a bait or a serious statement
>>
>>337604367
>You walk into places with waist high cover all the time.

Wrong. Sometimes you are forced to fight enemies and sometimes it's difficult and time consuming to take them all down by stealth.
>>
>>337594558
it's literally the same shit with more tacked on terrible platforming
>>
>>337597226

Woah dude you need to take a step back. If you think Uncharted 1 (or 2 or 3 even but ESPECIALLY 1) is anywhere CLOSE to tlou and give it a 9+ rating then I can't have a logical argument with you. Uncharted is garbage at jumping and shooting, which is all you do, and tlou is a good but overrated shooter/stealth game that really shines on high difficulty while uncharted just lowers your health and raises your enemy's health.
>>
Good game, kind of shallow but it was a decent experience. Couldn't muster up enough interest for a second play through.

The writing really wasn't all that exceptional, it was the presentation that sold it.

6/10 game, 8/10 muh cinematic expurience
>>
>>337605179
? Why when saying game is bad it's ok but when saying it's good it's bait?
>>337605074
When game is good I want to replay it. On higher difficulties with more advanced weapons. This is actually replay value.
> if your tastes are shit.
And yours is good I pressume? You sound like underage.
>>
>>337588425
>overrated
Fucking meaningless criticism when used in a vacuum like that.

Anyway, I thought that TLOU was a great game and that the writing was good. I got it free with my PS3 and didn't really know anything about it, and it really impressed me.
>>
>>337605269
Is english not your first language? Have you ever heard of hyperbole?

>difficult
something this game wasn't
>>
>>337605665
>something this game wasn't

It was, especially on higher difficulties. Also waist cover against clickers weren't that effective as against enemies with guns, so yes, enemy variety was important.
>>
>>337588425
>this game is stupidly overrated

Nah, it's not. Stop letting /v/ decide for you, simpleton.
>>
The characters are simple
Gameplay is fun enough
It sounds good with that guitar playing
Bretty cool map design
You feel like youre travelling when you play

DISLIKES:
Multiplayer shouldnt be shoved into everything god damn if every game needs an online feature make it a co-op campaign fuck sake
I wanted MORE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE I WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Theres only a small amount of enemy types so its not REALLY exciting, its not scary to hit the big guys with 1 molotov then shotgun them to death before they can say 'Joel is a villain'
I didnt like how random the humvee with the machine gun on was, i want to know who was in there otherwise i may as well play twisted metal

10/10 One of my favourites have played through time and time again and
>>
>>337589431
It's not available on PC
>>
>>337605269

The only time i can think of when its too much to stealth everyone is in the city with the two black boys and you pass a lot of road checkpoints when Ellie says something about food rations, i think the building is a big library.

Anyone else know any other times
>>
>>337606226
If this is your game of forever you need to play more games.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 893x745) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 893x745
>>337588425
SONIC IS BETTER!
>>
>>337605074

There's a lot of different setups in the game.

>fighting humans
>fighting regular runner zombies
>stealth sections with clickers who can 1hko you
>sections combining both
>arena fights with bloaters
>forced stealth with humans (spotlight before bridge, sniper alley)
>forced stealth with ellie because any grown man can put her down in one shot
>hunter zombies who always know where you are
>boss fight hiding from David
>standoffs with mass amounts of infected rushing you
>tapping square or triangle to not die

It definitely switches it up a good bit. You don't need drastically different approaches for all of them but when I played it on Grounded I definitely had to stop and come up with new approaches because I was repeatedly getting my dick kicked in.
>>
>>337606945
Where did he say it was his "game of forever"?
>>
>>337607151
If it's not overrated then it is indeed 10/10 meaning it is absolutely perfect.
>>
>>337606872
That section when Ellie covers you with sniper rifle when Hunters make assault on you, when running away from Bill's town, when fighting waves of infected with David.
>>
>>337607242
perfect thing does not exist. 10/10 score means masterpiece though.
>>
>>337607242
Provide a link to a professional review of the game that describes it as "absolutely perfect".
>>
>>337606113
Sounds like a simple need of someone needing to git gud.
>>
>>337607481
Nope, finished game already.
>>
File: 20160514_165748.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160514_165748.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
Without a doubt the single most overrated game I've ever played.

Entirely praised for its story.
And for the record, this isn't the worst offender of the "movie game" stereotype by a long shot, but at best this game is just alright.
>>
>>337607431
>>337607470
Now you guys are just arguing for the sake of it.

>professional review
real funny.
>>
>>337607629
Damn, when you were sitting there playing it, was "this is so overrated" the only thought running through your mind? Do you think that Naughty Dog knew the game was overrated before release, but they ran out of time to make it less overrated?
>>
>>337607540
Guess the game wasn't difficult.
>>
>>337603098
>that part in DLC when you could use infected to attack human enemies and opposite

Wish there was couple of sections like this in main game
>>
>>337607914
It was on higher difficulties than normal.
>>
>>337591490
He obviously means PC
>>
>>337608026
guess you need to git gud
>>
>>337608198
I got already since finished game like I said.
>>
If I've played and thoroughly enjoyed it on PS3, is there a reason to upgrade to the PS4 version?
>>
>>337608550
Same content, 60fps and 1080p
>>
>>337588650

>uninstalled

What
>>
>>337608693
Does it intergrate the DLC into the main story?
>>
>>337589431
>Gameplay remind me of old survival horrors

Yep. This game is a more proper RE than 4 and onwards.
>>
>>337590812

>the same complain for every game ever made
>>
Neil Druckmann or Toby Fox?
>>
>>337608794
It's added as seperate thing like in original version.
>>
>>337592064

>Drake is a much better character than Joel or Ellie

Drake has superficial characterisation. You only say that because he's more likeable.

Joel and Ellie have much more to show and get into a deeper, more emotional relation with each other than anything Drake does.
>>
>>337588425
So not playing online then?
>>337588545
Being this butt hurt
>>
File: 1463261284423.jpg (794 KB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
1463261284423.jpg
794 KB, 1920x2160
That's because you're not progressive enough :^) here the average sony friend.
>>
File: Are they blind or something.webm (3 MB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
Are they blind or something.webm
3 MB, 900x506
>>
>>337588545
>le ebbin mastdur raece guy
leave pls leave
>>
>>337608706
Remastered comes with some PS4s, it's just a download code.
>>
It's boring as shit. I remembered enjoying it the first time, but each time I try to replay it I lose interest around hour 2.
>>
>>337611056
what did you expect from a game that's reliant on story telling rather than actually engaging gameplay?
>>
>>337600840

Just like with Spec Ops: The Line.
>>
The suburbs was my favorite part. I liked exploring the abandoned houses and interacting with the characters.
>>
>>337612079
This, It's like that bit in Dishonoured where you find the diaries of that family who all died of plague in that one house, just seeing how the end of everything affected those who were there for it.
>>
File: 1455385937129.gif (186 KB, 678x422) Image search: [Google]
1455385937129.gif
186 KB, 678x422
>>337588425
The game came with my PS3, beat it a few years ago.

Pros:
The melee, choking, and death animations are brutal and violent.
Some good and tense stealth sections due to only carrying one brick or bottle as a thrown distraction tool (unlike MGS3 & 4 where you will end up with loads of empty magazines after boss battles) and the instakill clickers.
Nice looking environments

Cons:
Supposed to be survival horror, but after you get enough weapons you don't have to worry about running out of ammo in firefights, because you can just switch to another gun.
Really bad human AI.
The contextual stealthy kills on humans doesn't work consistently.
I get that the AI can't detect Ellie, but why did the devs makes her run around so fast cover to cover like a kid on a sugar high? They coulda just made her movement slower
Everyone praises the story for the FEELS, but they should be praising the game's drama not it's story. The actually plot points of the story are pretty straightforward and some of the drama is a bit flawed. I was supposed to get feels for the duration of the game, but the saddest thing happens at the beginning of the game and the later drama points don't compare to it.

TLOU is not a shit game, but its definitely overrated as some sort of masterpiece. Really have no desire to replay the singleplayer but I ought to play the multiplayer. Also Joel did nothing wrong.
Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.