[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into the Castlevania series what should I play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
I want to get into the Castlevania series what should I play and what should I stay away from?
>>
The first game of course.

Avoid any 3D games.
>>
>>337582508
Stay away from this game if you are going to play it alone and also Lords of Shadow. Everything else is good.
>>
>>337582508
Literally start with Super Castlevania IV. After you beat that you can go to whichever other Castlevania game next.
>>
If you want action platformers play the originals expect for 2

If you want metroidvania play Sotn, 2 and the Gba and ds games

If you don't want castlevania at all then play lords of shadow
>>
>>337582809
>and also Lords of Shadow
Are you fucking kidding me? LoS is an awesome game! Sure, it isn't exactly worthy to carry the name 'Castlevania', but it still a pretty cool game on its own that is definitely worth a playthrough.
>>
>>337583251
The idea that Lords of Shadow isn't "Castlevania" is a shitty argument anyway. It's not like it has less in common with the original Castlevania or Super Castlevania IV than shit like Lament of Innocence or Curse of Darkness does.
>>
>>337582780
First post best post.
>>
>>337582508

Play anything prior to Symphony of the Night. Avoid everything else.
>>
Skip every game before Castlevania 4, they're complete trash and anyone who says otherwise is a contrarian nostalgia-faggot with shit for taste. The early games aren't REAL Castlevania.
>>
>>337583901

Also get the re-translation patch for Castlevania II, otherwise avoid it too.
>>
My first and only Castlevania was Symphony of the Night which I played only recently and holy shit it was great
>>
>>337582508
Symphony of the Night
Aria of sorrow
Dawn of sorrow
>>
>>337584017

Low quality bait
>>
>>337584174
Shit taste confirmed. Nice try.
>>
>>337583802
Castlevania 64, Legacy of Darkness, Lament of Innocence, and Curse of Darkness are all good games pleb.
>>
>>337583053
For metroidvania avoid 2, CotM and HoD
>>
File: 2015-11-22-163837.jpg (158 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-22-163837.jpg
158 KB, 960x544
You should try either rondo of blood or sotn first.

The gba games are good, the ds ones too, you can just emulate on the phone.

PS2 had lament of innocence and curse of darkness, lament is a good game and the "first" belmont fight in the lore. Curse is a mix of castlevania and chaos legion, and its really fun despite the camera making you rage sometimes.

N64 also had some 3D castlevanias, but those are harder to play.

Lords of shadow is a good game, good combat and nice story, its practically lament of innocence 2.0, there is always one retard or two screaming "gow clone", without realizing that 99% in Lords of the shadows was lifted straight out of lament of innocence, which was released before the first gow game.

The second one was bad, the manager in charge of the game got too much pride on his head because of the success of lord of shadows 1, and the result was a total disaster.
>>
File: 1447359929761.jpg (166 KB, 682x599) Image search: [Google]
1447359929761.jpg
166 KB, 682x599
>>337583251
>>337583705

Music sucks, story sucks, and it's just a God of War knockoff, a shitty one to boot.
>>
>>337582508

If you're thinking about playing any of the metroidvania titles, you might as well just stick to Metroid. Seriously, the RPG elements that Castlevania brought to the formula are game breaking and nothing more.
>>
File: 1461652815488.jpg (80 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1461652815488.jpg
80 KB, 500x500
>>337583251
>>337583705
>>337584381
People who like Lords of Shadow are the reason the series is dead. Fuck you.
>>
>>337584515
Metroid and Metroidvanias play nothing alike, and none of the classic games feature the same kind of gameplay, either.

That's like suggesting Mario if someone wants to play the classic games because Castlevania combat only breaks the platforming.
>>
>>337584659

I'd rather play a shitty God of War rip-off than the same portable game rehashed 1000 times.
>>
All of the games are good to an extent, but avoid 2 if playing with the original translation and play the romhack instead of HoD
>>
File: 1461202007710.png (149 KB, 460x420) Image search: [Google]
1461202007710.png
149 KB, 460x420
>>337584659

I dont remember anyone saying shit when lament came out, and yet there is all those butthurt faggots screaming about LoS despite being a lament clone.

Besides the series is dead because castlevania was not selling enough even back on the ds ones, konami is more than happy to rehash the same fucking game over and over again, but they jumped ship with castlevania because the money was not good enough.

Lords of shadow was a last attempt at making the series relevant again, once that failed konami just gave up on castlevania altogether.

Much as I like my handheld, lauching the games on ds only was the beginning of the end for castlevania.
>>
>>337584250
>baiting this hard
What's so bad about the old Classicvanias then?
>>
>>337584430
>>337584659
I never said I liked LoS you morons. I said that it wasn't any less "Castlevania" than several other things bearing the name.
>>
File: castlevania-shanoa.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
castlevania-shanoa.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1024
>>337582508
I don't know why people like to fight between the classic and metroidvania style, I like both.
Personally I would recommend everything BESIDES:

>Castlevania 2
It's the first metroidvania (ok, more like Zelda2vania), it was not the right time for a game like this, the gameplay and level design are horrible (although the music is good).
>Castlevania Legends
The third gameboy 'classic' game and the worst pile of garbage in the series by FAR to me, don't even touch this (the first two gameboy games are pretty ok, especially the second one).
>Castlevania 64
Controversial games, some people are fond of it, but overall they are not good games, pretty bad transition to 3D that got better in latter 3D titles.
>Castlevania Judgement
A fighting game, people absolutely hate the butchered character designs, the gameplay is not that good too and I don't think you will find people to play this with you.

Everything else varies between Ok and Great, I especially recommend games like: Castlevania 3, Symphony of the Night, Rondo of Blood, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Bloodlines, The Adventure: ReBirth, Curse of Darkness and so on.
See a list organized by release date here: http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Games
>>
>>337586143
Belmont's Revenge is excellent. Shame Legends was such dogshit.
>>
>>337586143
>>337586939
Why is legends a bad game? I recall people to be pretty fond of it.
>>
>>337585724
LOS is a GOW clone. Even the moves are identical like the spinning blade move where Kratos is twirling his weapons around. It even has the same collecting of feathers and eyes to boost up your magic and health. people like Lament of innocence because it was still being made by the japan team at Konami.
>>
THE ACTUAL ANSWER:

1. castlevania 1
2. castlevania 4
3. Symphony of the night
4. I dunno whatever you want, who cares
>>
>>337583049
This
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.