[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: game gear.jpg (2 MB, 3550x2300) Image search: [Google]
game gear.jpg
2 MB, 3550x2300
What went wrong?
>>
batteries and sega
>>
6 aa batteries.
>>
It required more batteries to play than games in it's library
>>
ITT: retards who've never heard of rechargeable batteries.
>>
It was better than the Game Boy.

Original Game Boy had a more diverse library of games, but that fucking screen made the games unplayable. It wasn't until the fucking Game Boy Advance SP (or the Game Boy Light if you lived in Japan) that you could play those games on a portable and not go blind.

Super Game Boy was a necessity.
>>
three's a retroboard you know.

>>337580314
were they even worth a shit back then?
>>
no analog stick
no dvd drive
no internet access
matrix sequels
>>
>>337580823
Fuck, I assumed /vr/ was about VR
>>
>>337581850
This going to happen more and more often.
And then stop happening when the HMD fad dies.
>>
>>337579462

If i remember it correctly it was the damn screen glaring. I never had one as a kid but i borrowed one from my friend with Lucky Dime Caper. I couldn't see shit 9/10 times if i was outside.

But the Gameboy had similar problems.
>>
Bad battery life, oversized compared to game boy, smaller game library with less gems
>>
>>337579462
Color. Gamers don't want color their videogames
>>
>>337579462
Entirely batteries. Was relatively popular, but the sheer power needed to run the thing was obnoxious.

it's also kind of not-terribly-portably, but kid me found it fine, you just needed to put it in a bag

seriously, the Game Boy won 90% because the competition either a: had no games (eg, garbage no-name shit like the Watara Supervision) or b: drank batteries (Lynx, Game Gear -- Lynx really did deserve better)
like, the GB also had the library to beat most of its competitors, but Game Gear wasn't too much of a slouch there

>>337580314
anon, rechargeable batteries deliver like 1.2-1.3v compared to the ~1.5 of normal alkaline batteries, the thing died in an hour with them
unless you meant getting that huge-fuck external battery pack they sold
>>
it had color but no games
>>
>>337581850
lol
>>
File: 45645622.jpg (6 KB, 378x378) Image search: [Google]
45645622.jpg
6 KB, 378x378
Fucking christ just think how bulky that is. Its barely smaller than a sega genesis g1. No wonder it failed.
>>
>>337584262
really, the bulk wasn't as much of a people as it would be today, pretty much all of the handhelds of that time were pretty large, even the Game Boy
admittedly, it's still nearly 8 and a quarter inches wide

being able to play for around 2-3 hours before it died was the big problem
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.