[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Classic FPS design on the rise again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: doom-frontcover.jpg (81 KB, 351x500) Image search: [Google]
doom-frontcover.jpg
81 KB, 351x500
With the success of Wolfenstein: The New Order, Shadow Warrior not doing bad enough not to warrant a sequel, and DooM seemingly having a nice future except for multiplayer, do you think the FPS genre will be in a second golden age the coming years?

Obviously corridor shooters will be there as well, but to be fair I don't mind them and they can be fun as well, but as long as we get 1 or 2 maze shooters, or arcade shooters, a year I'm satisfied.
>>
>>337553172
Nice post OriginalPoster

You really made me rethink the video game Doom (the new one not the old one)

I just went to my local gaming store and purchased 10 copies for myself and all my friends

WE GOLDEN AGE OF GAMING NOW WOO!
>>
classic is a meme

almost semiotic in 2016
>>
I have noticed that we have very slowly started to recover from the sprint and ADS garbage. But progress is incredibly slow and many people still want garbage because they don't know any better. Unfortunately, I highly doubt we'll ever truly return to how it was, but I'm sure it will get better.
>>
I wish, but so far most of what I've seen are these shooters with closed arena segments (Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior, and now Doom). I don't consider this type of gameplay reflective of classic FPS design at all. It's okay in small doses but not when it's the main format of the game.
>>
>NuDoom
>Classic FPS design
>>
>>337553172
>classic FPS design

If anything it's an effigy to lazy modern FPS design

>gun upgrades and RPG elements because why not
>checkpoints
>epin cinematic takedowns
>easy
>audio logs because lazy
>animations for doing simple shit like picking up the damn key
>>
>>337553368
>sprint and ADS
>garbage
>people dont know any better
lolk
>>
>>337553708
>>audio logs because lazy
disregarded because you're a complete fucknut if you think Doom needs a serious story anyway

They did that for a very good reason, otherwise you'd be among the other faggots complaining about cutscenes
>>
File: bombshell prequel.png (647 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bombshell prequel.png
647 KB, 1280x720
>>337553172
>Doom is hardly "classic design" it only has a handful of throwbacks
TNO has modern shooter stamped all over it
shadow warrior isn't classic either it borrows directly from the painkiller/serious sam formula.

keep a look out for the bombshell prequel to see how it's actually done
>>
>>337553975
>bombshell prequel
seriously, why couldn't bombshell be a straight up tps or fps. Instead we got some diablo-esque top down shooter.
>>
>>337553956
I don't think Doom needed a serious story

Audios logs are just fucking lazy game design and makes it seem like it's taking itself too seriously

In general it just distracts from a game about running around and shoot demons. Stop being a faggot
>>
>>337553172
Wait, Shadow Warrior went well?
>>
>>337554121
>Audio logs you can completely ignore
>distracting from the core gameplay

Its too early in the morning to be this fucking stupid m8
>>
>>337554121
>distracts from a game about running around and shoot demons
>showing this much autistic rage over shit you can ignore
>>
>>337554161
yes, but it's not like the original, more like a small scale serious sam
>>
>>337554226
>studio putting effort into a part of a game that's completely superfluous and stupid

Epic cool nice
>>
>>337554283
>Devs put story fluff in there for people who enjoy that kind of thing
>Most of the effort was clearly put into the gameplay and map design, and the audio logs are very tucked away

Sounds like you just want to talk shit for no reason
>>
>>337554121
the thing that bugs me is you are just led around by characters the whole game
>doomguy you must go and do X
>now you must go and do Y
why can't it just be levels where the goal is just to kill stuff and get to the end?
just nitpicking but still...
>>
>>337554383
You got me

I was clearly nitpicking on my list of several major things I dislike about the new game. You seem to be pretty attached to this one and not arguing any of my other grievances with it
>>
>>337554121

There's audio logs in Doom? I finished it and honestly don't think I saw one. Was too busy running non-stop and killing demons.
>>
>>337554469
I dont really care about those, and I dont think anyone actually likes the RPG system

but audio logs? Get fucking real.
>>
>>337553172
Did Wolfenstein succeed? I liked it but I thought I heard it didn't sell that well.
>>
>>337554438
Thats actually a valid thing, you get a much stronger sense of agency when you decide for yourself where to go and explore, having others tell you where to go is one thing that can seriously slow a game down.

Thankfully there's snapmap so people can make all sorts of sprawling monstrosities with no story attached
>>
>>337554270

D44M is also like Serious Sam, except that you aren't just walking around a big yard. You're actually jumping around all over the place.
>>
>>337553708
>checkpoints
As opposed to saving any time you wanted like in Doom 1 and 2 right? That's a lot more casual.
>>
>>337554694
I don't have much hope for snapmap since it's all prefabs
>>337554742
true but i don't think it's in the style of doom
>>
>>337554684
It got a DLC/expansion of sorts in The Old Blood, and also http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/23/a-new-wolfenstein-could-be-coming
>>
>>337554161
yeah, it's getting a sequel
>apes for a non linear open level design
>level design looks more like a single arena with some verticality
>fucking loot drops with stats and shit
>enemies are bullet-spongey

I want to be hopeful, but sequel doesn't hype me.
>>
>>337553172

>Wolfenstein TNO
>Classic FPS design
>A good game

Ha. It's Bioshock Infinite 2.0 that for some odd reason received undeserved praise.
>>
File: pis.jpg (36 KB, 327x306) Image search: [Google]
pis.jpg
36 KB, 327x306
DESYNC will usher in and be responsible for the return of skill based PC FPS, desu senpai
>>
I think we are at a weird stage where companies are too scared to make classic fps games, but when they do the games actually tun out pretty well and popular

You see it all over doom and the marketing, but then what everyone actually wants and enjoys is the old styling. If this gets a sequel I think it will be allowed to lean even harder into the old school shooter stuff
>>
>>337553172
The fuck are you talking about, the game playes like snail shit. The bullets "tires" enemies for cinematic executes or to blow up in gibs. Honestly, this feels like indie company being inspired by Halo. Everythings worse, but you have bigger health pool and move slighty faster.

Doesn't really feel like an AAA game.Sure, maybe a $40 trash. You're going to forget this game existed in a week.
>>
>>337554846
>i don't think it's in the style of doom

I never considered the inability to jump in a game that does have the concept of verticality (As opposed to Wolf3d) -as a feature. To me it was always just a technical compromise, and Quake fixed that issue. I think it's pretentious to say that every single aspect of Doom 1 is a quintessential part of its brilliant design.
>>
>>337554846
Have you seen the videos? Theres alot they can do with just the prefabs. People have even made weird stuff like pianos or "Harvest Moon" type gametypes with the scripting system.

The campaign was also made in SnapMap IIRC
>>
I've never seen a cover so shit it stands out on the catalog like a sore thumb
>>
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/13/doom-review-2

>These are kill chambers, a relic of an era of shooter design all but gone, designed to contain you and force you into a particular playstyle. Where games with regenerating health reward players who hide and pick off enemies one at a time, Doom instead forces you to map out a path through the chamber trying to find health without ever stopping long enough to become overwhelmed.

>It's a design philosophy which runs counter to the nature of the execution system. Glory Kills promote a forward momentum, encouraging you to move towards enemies to close the distance and earn your health pickups, but the kill chamber map style does the opposite. Your best strategy is to move backwards through the chamber, away from the enemies, and to do damage as you go. The AI in Doom is not particularly smart, and you can rely on it to roughly converge on your location (even when it can't see you and shouldn’t know where you are). So if you run in circles around the kill chamber, shooting behind you and dodging projectiles, you can kill the majority of the enemies within — only after you've thinned the herd of Demons can you then start running forward and killing them by circle-strafing (running around them in circles).

>It might seem like an odd complaint, because I've praised Doom for how old-school it feels, and circle-strafing in kill chambers is an old-school staple. But in the old days rooms like these were products of an era where enemy AI wasn't capable of the surprisingly scary tactics we see in shooters these days. In Doom it seems more like a crutch — if the enemies were more capable of advanced tactics and teamwork the shooting would be more interesting, and I wouldn't need to be locked in a room to want to kill everything in sight. That doesn't mean it's bad, but it's just about the only trick up Doom’s sleeve, and it doesn't take too long before it wears thin.

2classic4IGN
>>
"Classic"? Eh. They're doing some things right and are infinitely preferable to generic modern military shooters. I even had fun with Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3 as a result

D44M SP seems like a nice little romp and I greatly enjoyed Shadow Warrior and Wolf New Order. Looking forward to Serious Sam 4 and the above games' sequels.
>>
>>337555165
>If this gets a sequel I think it will be allowed to lean even harder into the old school shooter stuff
No. Fuck you and your hopes. Theres no fucking gradual path to golden age. If they can't do it now, they can't do it ever.
>>
>>337555378
>2classic4IGN
that is literally NOT what he said you illiterate

He's saying the GoreNest Arenas get in the way of the game's flow and wouldnt even be necessary if the AI was just a little more challenging.
>>
>>337555070
havn't seen much of this one
there is also gibhard and strafe
>>337555213
i mean the being locked in a room till you take out several waves of spawning enemies ironically this idea originated in dead simple
>>337555227
it's still prefabs and is very limited compared to proper editor and there is no way campaign wasn't made in the same manner
>These are kill chambers, a relic of an era of shooter design all but gone
wrong
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.