[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the new Doom game good if I'm looking to scratch the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: 1452387714020.jpg (463 KB, 750x987) Image search: [Google]
1452387714020.jpg
463 KB, 750x987
Is the new Doom game good if I'm looking to scratch the itch for a Halo game? The last Halo game I played was Reach, and I fucking hated everything that 343 shitted out. How good is the campaign and the multiplayer?
>>
It's shit
>>
>mjolnir armor will never look like that again
>>
File: 1459726359129.jpg (233 KB, 1280x1810) Image search: [Google]
1459726359129.jpg
233 KB, 1280x1810
>>337537410
Bungie has some of the best armor designs ever.
>>
>>337538336
too bad none of that shit is in Destiny
>>
File: Bird Person.png (505 KB, 412x872) Image search: [Google]
Bird Person.png
505 KB, 412x872
>>337538336
>>
Did you try 5 OP?

The campaign and story was pretty eh but the multiplayer is probably my second favorite overall out of any halo game.

>>337537410
>>337536697
A good amount of the sets in 5 keep the old design philosophy even if the art style is still of. But there's also a ton of shit that doesn't.
>>
>>337536697
Yep. Kills are satisfying as fuck demon mode is fun and weapons are pretty beat but I wish there were more or atleast some buffed
>>
>>337537410
Remember when Halo was more about futuristic military than being a generic scifi blend between Iron Man and Power Rangers in space?
>>
>>337538336
Nigga that looks like fucking impressionism
>>
>>337538590
>Did you try 5 OP?
>The campaign and story was pretty eh but the multiplayer is probably my second favorite overall out of any halo game.

I did. The gameplay is okay, but there's so much wrong with it, and I mean the multiplayer as well. Every time I played it, it just made me want to go immediately back to Halo 3 on the MCC.
>>
Halo isn't about running at 90mph like a meme loving fuck, so take any "yeah bro!" with a grain of salt. Plus there's no fucking vehicles or banter.
>>
>>337538924
I disagree, but fair enough.

I think MP wise it's my favorite after 2. There's a lot different with it for sure, but I think the changes, unlike 4's, are actually universally good and still follow halo's core gameplay phiolopshy. The fact that it also has actually good weapon balance unlike the past games helps too.

Though with both 4 and 5 you can just turn the shit off you don't like in customs, which people always forget

Anyways i'm also dumping the art of halo here >>337539431 if anybody cares
>>
>>337538681
If you are meming about the opening cutscene of 5, spartans have always been able to do that shit in the books.

In fact one of the best parts about the books is how well it manages to feel grounded in reality in spite of all the ancient ayy lmao shit going on and having spartans doing shit like sniping 4 banshees out of the sky with 1 shot while hanging upside down
>>
The Doom campaign is fantastic but its nothing like Halo, Halo's always been more methodical in how you approach any given scenario, in Doom you gotta keep moving all the time or die.
>>
>>337538681
>futuristic military
Let me guess, your favorite Halos are ODST & Reach.
>>
File: 1452391202269.jpg (744 KB, 1500x1161) Image search: [Google]
1452391202269.jpg
744 KB, 1500x1161
>>337540465
I hated Reach for the most part, but no, my favorite is 3 > 2 > 1. I do like ODST a lot and feel it's criminally underrated.
>>
>>337540723
I like all the halo games and think even the worst ones are at least 8/10's. They all have strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>>337540723
>not liking MCC

The MM was bugged but you were still getting 4 halo campaigns and 3 remasters at 1080p 60fps for 60$.

It was a let down that the MM was what it was but even if ity didn't even come with MP at all and just the campaigns that'd still be fucking amazing
>>
File: 4L_fYpjZDVm.jpg (1 MB, 1680x2583) Image search: [Google]
4L_fYpjZDVm.jpg
1 MB, 1680x2583
>>337540979
>Supporting a company that hasn't fully fixed their game that was broken on launch and hasn't released a patch in a year
>>
>>337540836
Halo's biggest weakness will always be it's straying from gore and superviolence.
>>
It's great but it's not like Halo, it's super fast.
>>
>>337540979
Halo MCC would have been an easy 10/10. In fact, it's the easiest 10/10 game ever, but 343 fucked up so badly that they don't deserve forgiveness. The way they handled the issue with the game is what pissed me off and they half-assed it when trying to fix it because they knew less people would play Halo 5 if MCC wasn't broken.
>>
>>337540723
ODST is probably my favorite of all the campaigns, at least in terms of story specifically.

There's something about the "this world has super solider/super heroes/chosen ones/etc." premise for stuff like Halo and Star Wars and all that which makes me really enjoy the basic boots on the ground and normal soldier (well I guess technically ODSTs are special, but in light of the Spartans not as much anymore) type stories in those worlds.

Probably the same reason I dig street level heroes in comics and shit so much more too.

I also don't totally get all the hate 5 gets. The campaign is mediocre and definitely suffers from the issues of trying too hard to set up the story for the sequel rather than resolve its own plot and THEN move on, but I thought the multiplayer was really good.

ESPECIALLY after how much of a travesty 4 was.
>>
>>337540979
I would've liked MCC if 343 didn't fuck it up so badly. It's best to just have all four games to play on your Xbox 360 (if you haven't already sold it).
>>
File: 20160513220620_1.jpg (816 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160513220620_1.jpg
816 KB, 2560x1440
It's good m8
It's not Halo
In my personal opinion they took the original, Dooms and mixed them with Doom 3 but took out all the bad shit out of Doom 3 and only the good. Don't let the contrarians make you think it's slow and "le executioner maymay" slows down combat, it's fluid as fuck and you're just running around killing demons.
The story filler is at the end of every level and it's short as fuck, after that back to killing demons
fucking beautiful too, and that setting
>>
>>337541250
addendum:

Halo's SP feels more tactical to me, you have to sort of think before you approach a bunch of enemies.

In DOOM you have to keep moving and fast, if you don't you're prone to enemies backstabbing you and getting pelted by fireballs, when there's more of these enemies it's almost like a first person shoot em up.
>>
>>337541494
I sure hope it's good because it looks like everyone really hates that the reviews are so sparse.
>>
>>337541198
>>337541272
I'm not defending how they handled it, in fact I still bug them and their community manager about it every once and a while, my point is is that even if it didn't ship with MP at all, it'd still be amazing, so calling it shit just because the MM was buggy makes no sense.

If you have a 9/10 game, and then add stuff to it, but that added stuff is buggy, that doesn't somehow make it a 5/10 game.

Do math nigga

>>337541484
For online MP sure, but the campaigns are absolutely the definitive way to play them.

The one bug that's not negligible (the fact enemies that are supposed to dual wield in 2 often don't) doesn't outwiegh the massive bump in resolution and framerate and the remaster.
>>
>>337541494
for anyone complaining about the glory kills and whatever else thing looks casual to them, all of that can be disabled in the game options.

>>337541610
I'm taking a break from it at the moment (getting my ass kicked), and so far it's been great.

/v/ baited me into thinking it was going to be garbage, however, the multiplayer I can give no opinion on and I'm not doubting that the bad beta reviews were because of the multi issues.
>>
>>337541735
It's only sixty bucks, I can spare that even if it's on Steam, I'm just tired of buying games people recommend and then watch /v/ turn coat a week or two later.
>>
>>337541735

Yea the multi beta was the worst thing they could have done.
>>
>>337540085
>good weapon balance

nah

there's more to weapon balance besides making each weapon effective
>>
>>337541798
I'm probably going to replay this when I beat it, it's that good.

There's also snapmap which is this map tool that lets you make whole maps out of prefab rooms, at the moment it seems like you can't make your own prefabs to use in it but I really do hope they add it later on.

However, snapmap also seems to have logic in it, so you can do things like make co-op maps and triggers with an ai coordinator as well as place enemies and widgets and whatnot.

I still have yet to try snapmap but from the videos I've seen, even though you can only make stuff with the prefabs, it looks like you can do much more inside them.
>>
>>337542010
>I'm probably going to replay this when I beat it, it's that good.

Yeah I buy that. It seems like it's that good at least.
>>
>>337541881
Please clarify then, because I certainly think the balance is great and so do even the people I have talked to who don't like the game overall.

>Every gun is viable in both SP and MP,
>Almost every gun is actually useful and worth picking up in MP
>The weapons all don't just feel like reskins of each other
>Autos are actually on par with percision guns
>There's a large amount of guns, unlike in ce which got around most balance issues just by barely having any

Litterally all I would change is make the AR more useful when bursted at some of the closer ranges to reward skill a bit more, and buff the boltshot and suppersor a bit.
>>
>>337542070
if you don't want to spend sixty bucks by the way, it's probably not difficult to find a good dealio on greenmangaming or newegg and amazon. My buddy got me the game for half price apparently with a discount code he had laying around and a greenmangaming deal.
>>
>>337542189
If I don't get more e-money, I'm just gonna go down to the gamestop and buy a steam card and purchase the game.
>>
File: what.jpg (16 KB, 631x127) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
16 KB, 631x127
>>337541610
They're not though
>>
http://digital.simplygames.com/steam/doom

I bought it from here like an hour ago and got the code fast, you do need a europe billing address though

25 bux
>>
>>337542329
Those are from users on Steam, console plebs aren't divided either I bet, but apparently between major reviews and youtube celebs, it seems kind of weird.
>>
Doom is for hardcore players only, no room for Halobabies like you
>>
>>337542412
Totalbiscuit seemed to like it a lot and he usually hates things, but then again it is his opinion.
>>
>>337542557
That's cool. I don't really mind tb, since I'm ambivalent I guess I could watch the review.

The zero punctuation review seemed kind of nice too.
>>
>>337536697
I haven't played the new DOOM yet, but it doesn't look like Halo at all. Why even ask this?
>>
>>337542620
I'll have to watch that, I didn't know zero punctuation made a review already.
>>
>>337542329
M8
You're listening to mainstream reviews?
They probably wanted doomguy to be a black transsexual who killed the white patriarchal demons
They're used to long cut scenes and some slow shit game play
Doom gives you guns and demons to kill while you run and climb shit like a monkey
>>
>>337542740
Oh excuse me, it's the Doom3 bfg edition.
>>
>>337542708
There's a large population of haters on /v/ that are upset about the multiplayer being outsourced and they will do anything to shit on the game

HOWEVER

I think OP might be genuinely curious and is actually wondering if the game will be enjoyable for them.
>>
>>337542767
Meant for >>337542412
>>
>>337542767
That's crazy, do you think the Russian neo nazi with the ten inch penis is going to save his hot Brazilian waifu from the demons?
>>
>>337541881
But it has the best weapon balance of them all.

Also best forge: https://youtube.com/watch?v=QsrMQlrX-mE
>>
Halo Online

http://scooterpsu.github.io/
>>
>>337544041
I already play that, anon.
>>
>>337542168
We aren't going to agree because you think autos should be on par with precision guns. I think this is a terrible idea because making a gun that is easier to use "on par with" a gun that is more difficult to use makes no sense from a balancing perspective. Difficult to use guns should be powerful (like the CE pistol, CE and 3 sniper). Easy to use guns should be weak.

There are some exceptions to this rule. Rockets are fine as they're rare and you must fight for map control and the right to use them. Shotgun is powerful, but it occupies a specific niche in all of the Halo games, which balances it out. As long as you don't place the shotgun spawn in the most beneficial place to have it on the map, then it's fine (343 fails in this with almost every power weapon placement in H5 though).

Halo 5's weapon balance is poor because it ignores these simple rules. Easy to use guns like the automatics are ridiculously powerful. Every single automatic has a faster kill time than all of the precision, even though precision weapons inherently take more skill to use. The most difficult to use weapon in the game, the pistol, is also the weakest weapon in the game. This makes no sense from any balance perspective.

The counter to this argument is typically, "well, the automatics shred at close range. You shouldn't be using precision weapons in close range." Putting aside the fact that this ignores the basic "easy to use weapons are weak, difficult to use weapons are powerful" tenet, and the fact that the automatics are still very effective up to medium ranges, it just isn't good gameplay balance. Rock, paper, scissor balance doesn't work in Halo (or perhaps any fast paced action game). It leads to way too much guessing. Theoretically, yes, I understand that I should be using automatics up close and precision weapons at a distance, but I'm frequently punished for not knowing what type of encounter I'm about to enter.
>>
>>337546808
>. Easy to use guns should be weak.
Every gun in Halo is easy to use

>wow you have to headshot people so hard
>>
>>337546808
For example, suppose you round the elbow on Fathom and enter the base. There are spawn points both immediately by the flag and at the far end of the base near the SMG spawn. How am I to know which weapon to have out once I turn this corner? There could be an enemy up close, which would require an automatic, or an enemy far away at the generator, which requires a precision weapon.

If there's an enemy close up and I have my precision weapon out, I'm fucked if he has an auto. All autos have faster kill times. If I have an auto and the enemy is at the generator, I'm fucked because my auto lacks the range.

If the game were balanced correctly and closer to past Halo titles, where difficult to use weapons were more powerful, then there would be no guessing. I could have a utility precision weapon out in all instances except niche encounters and be perfectly adapt to kill most any enemy. Halo 5 shits all over this, and it's praised for being balanced because every weapon is useful. It makes no sense at all, but people keep repeating it and so 343 is never going to change it.
>>
>>337541403
Im more pissed about no splitsceen whatsoever in 5 than the story.
>>
File: 1411443972606.png (332 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1411443972606.png
332 KB, 500x375
Why don't they ever play to halo's strengths?

Its a mediocre shooter at best, but its got one of the best lineup of vehicles and vehicle combat of any FPS game i've ever played, Warthog is too damn fun.

Like all they fucking used in destiny is the ghost, and new halos are trying so to support esport faggotory they completely ignore vehicle gameplay
>>
>>337546808
>>337547081
>We aren't going to agree because you think autos should be on par with precision guns. I think this is a terrible idea because making a gun that is easier to use "on par with" a gun that is more difficult to use makes no sense from a balancing perspective. Difficult to use guns should be powerful (like the CE pistol, CE and 3 sniper). Easy to use guns should be weak.

Then yeah, we are gonna disagree, but i'm going to counter that with this:

Automatics don't need to be inherently easier to use.

If you make it so that consistent accurate, bursted shots with automatics is rewarded, but spray and praying is punished, then you keep the point you are making, which I do agree with: Skill should be rewarded. But getting consitent headshots with the AR DOES take skill. What they should do and what would solve your criticism is if there was a headshot bonus on automatics, but the bonus scaled wiith bloom level.

If your spread is at or near zero, the bonus is large. As your spread goes up, the bonus damage goes down. At max spread, you get no bonus. This way, people who are firing in 3 round bursts and can still manage to land consistent shots will do a large amount of damage and get rewarded, while people who spray and pray will get "normal" damage (which should be low), and lucky headshots due to the random spread won't gvie them a more then negligible bonus.

I actually agree that in 5 as of now, the AR is too effectivwe when the trigger is held down, and bursting isn't rewarded enough. It was better in the beta.
>>
>>337546808
>>337547081
>>337547441
also, as an addendum, as >>337547000 says, the amount of skill it takes to use most precison guns is serious overrated. the BR has always been piss easy to line headshots up with. The DMR is just as easy as long as you aren't zooming in too close up. The carbine's hardest part if keeping up the optimial trigger pull rate.

The only truly difficulty weapons to use in halo are the snipers, the grenade launcher in reach, the pistol in 2 and 5 (and 3 if you actually use it but that's just due to it being shit), and the AR if you go for consistent headshots because you aren't rewarded for doing so outside of 5's beta.

Also, if they arern't going to do the scaling headshot bonus idea, and are gonna go with your system, i'd rather they just cut the automatics then.
>>
>>337547202
I like to shoot stuff in Halo.

I think the area it best excels in is ranged firefights.
>>
>>337547441
We agree to the extent that you can definitely make autos that take skill to use. It's not an impossibility, and even though I still think that precision weapons will always take more skill, I would love it if Halo tried to prove me wrong and it introduced some powerful autos that aren't hold down the trigger to win.
>>
>>337548160
Difficulty isn't a dichotomy though. There's more than just easy and hard, and Halo's automatics have always been much closer to easy than the precision weapons, even the retarded precision weapons like the H2 BR.
>>
>>337548368
Well, as I said, I think my system would be a good start.

I don't object with rewarding skill, but I also don't want half the sandbox to be fucking useless, you know?

It's just a matter of getting 343 to notice that people apperciate the whole sandbox being useless but want skill to also be rewarded, and somehow getting a post on plebbit or waypoint noticed.

The obstacle is though is a loot of people who want skill to be rewarded are too obessed with precision weapons to even accept rewarding skill on automatics as a thing. As I said, in the beta it was better then it was in the final game, though not as good as the system i describe, but they made it so skill was rewarded less just so the top end of automatic effectivness was toned down due to whining.

>>337548517
I getcha, I just felt I needed to point that out.;
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.