[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why does everyone hate this game? I played it for the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 927361-doom_3.jpg (174 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
927361-doom_3.jpg
174 KB, 1024x768
So why does everyone hate this game?

I played it for the first time recently. Although it isn't fast like the first two games, it was different enough for me to appreciate it on its own. I really enjoyed the atmosphere.
>>
wasn't what was expected.
>>
ill literally never play through it again

but sure it was okay
>>
>>337515750
It's a first person survival horror game, not a DOOM game. Just like the new one is a Halo wannabe instead of a DOOM.
>>
>>337515750
It has great atmosphere, graphics and sound but the gameplay is really bland. I blame that more on the horrible level design more than the weapons/enemies.
>>
It's the most boring shooter i've ever played, only people who never played a survival horror game in their lives think it makes a good one and as a shooter, well its fuckin cinematic, linear garbage, i don't care if it shits on Doom's name it still would be overhyped because it looks pretty garbage.
>>
>>337516070
Halo was never fast. Even D44m multiplayer isn't Halo, it's Quake.
>>
>>337515750
>Why hate Doom 3?

Because it came out at the same time as Half Life 2 which stupid faggots seem to love the shit out of for some reason.
>>
>>337516245
Whatever it is, it's not DOOM.
>>
>>337515750
People don't like it because they annoyed that they can't use flashlight and weapons at the same time. They a special Babby edition a few years ago for them.

Otherwise it's an amazing game.
>>
I always liked it. I can understand shitting on it because it has nothing to do with the other Doom games, but I had fun playing it.
>>
>>337516307
>Half Life 2
This. HL2 put to shame the garbage that is Doom 3 and their crapy engine no one ever wanted.
>>
>>337515750
The game is a predecessor to Bioshock, but better written and ironically better looking even though they're 3 years apart. It requires patience, involvement in the story and playing on high difficulty. They fucked it up - the medium setting is way too easy.
>>
>>337515750
It's a horror game that isn't very scary. It's a first person shooter with really bad encounters and some pretty unsatisfying guns. It's repetitive and feels too long. Some enemy designs are pretty bad.
>>
>>337516550
No one liked BFG edition either, your game just sucks.
>>
>>337516791
>The game is a predecessor to Bioshock, but better written and ironically better looking
You can't actually believe that, can you? Bioshock has crap for gameplay, but the writing is decent/good in places. Doom 3 has EVIL DOCTOR BETRUGER and a hundred of e-mails that all talk about hearing scary noises or somesuch. Wow, really creepy!
>>
>>337516245

>Has clearly never played quake
>>
The survival horror turn the game took threw off people who were (rightfully) expecting something more fast paced and visceral.

Instead, the game took more after the PSX Doom, and Doom 64, which were actually pretty spooky in parts.

Overall the game played well, and looked fucking great for the time, but it just didn't live up to its pedigree.
>>
>>337515750
A top streamer said it sucked so i dont like it
>>
It's not scary and the guns are garbage.
Doom 64 is a better horror game and a better shooter than Doom 3.
>>
>>337517391
What fuckin surival horror you autist? Having scarejumps is not survival horror, the game is just a linear, repetitive, unrewarding clusterfuck.
>>
>>337515750
Half Life 2, Painkiller and Far Cry came out around the same time. Painkiller is more of a DOOM 3, Half Life 2 felt like a sequel to Half Life and Far Cry was a new IP, though flawed, was a lot more forgivable than a sequel as hyped as DOOM 3 and was really well received

also FEAR came out one year later and did everything DOOM 3 set out to do, but did it all way better so there was no forgiving it yet

it's alright on its own, just released at a bad time
>>
It's a bad doom game, but if you remove doom from it, it's a solid game nonetheless. I'm enjoying d44m it's like doom 1 and 2 but modernized, but keeps the chicken pot pies to a minimum and straight up just kill. It's great.
>>
>>337517709
>Painkiller is more of a DOOM 3
You almost had a valid opinion.
>>
>>337515750
because its not as good as project brutality
>>
>>337515750
It's literally nothing other than a tech demo for 2004.

The gameplay was garbage and not Doom.
>>
>>337517709
>also FEAR came out one year later and did everything DOOM 3 set out to do, but did it all way better
wait no it didn't they're completely fucking different
>>
It's a terrible fucking game.

>ammo is scarce
>enemies are massive bullet sponges
>really boring logbooks everywhere
>levels consist of 90% generic looking hallways that you can barely see anyway because it's so dark
>haunted house design where you walk around barren rooms until suddenly some spooks jump out at you
>enemies constantly spawn in monster closets behind you, causing cheap deaths
>flashlight means you have to pick between actually seeing what the fuck you're looking at or being able to shoot it, which considering it's a shooter where you have to FUCKING AIM AT MOVING TARGETS is unacceptable. Admittedly this is fixed in the remastered version.
>game leads you to doors you can't open, then tells you to go back and get a key, and then walk all the way back to the door

It's a mishmash of disparate concepts that can't fit together. It can't even manage to be a generic shooter, it's just incredibly unfun to play. There's absolutely no reason to waste time with mediocre crap like this when there are tons of much better shooters on the market that do better Doom style gameplay, better horror gameplay, and better spooky atmosphere without trying to misguidedly shove them together.

I don't understand why people try to defend games like this by saying "it's not THAT bad!". Does it even matter? It's completely pointless to play games that are only kind of bad when there is no shortage of better games.
>>
>>337518676
>>>ammo is scarce
That's a lie. Didn't read any further. Don't even like the game that much.
>>
File: 1447547684689.png (42 KB, 488x519) Image search: [Google]
1447547684689.png
42 KB, 488x519
>>337517709
DOOM 3 was absolutely shit in every way possible

>shitty looking generic enemies
>shitty environments so dark you literally couldn't see anything
>ammo so scarce you literally had to listen to retarded audio recordings to get the code to unlock lockers just to get fucking armor and ammo
>max of 3 enemies on screen because the engine can't handle it
>framerate drops out the ass
>the weapons felt like dogshit

doom 3 was a waste of everybody's time, and to this day I still don't understand why people liked it.

where the fuck did this "doom is scary" thing even come from?! the only remotely scary thing about doom was from doom 64, which is way fucking better than DOOM3 could ever hope to be
>>
Shouldnt have been called Doom 3. Fine game on its own, didnt need to be shoved into an established franchise sharing almost nothing in common.
>>
>>337515750
It gets repetitive after like two hours. Each time you enter the room you know they're going to spawn an enemy behind you. There was also the problem with the game being too dark because you couldn't hold a flashlight and a gun at the same point which was a huge annoyance before the BFG edition was released years later that fixed that. Also the gameplay is slow and boring.
>>
>>337517391
Nobody was expecting a more fast paced Doom. It's a recent meme. They were advertising the game since E3 2002 and it was always a slow paced horror game. In fact the end result is faster then they showed.

Also, at the time nobody wanted another fast Quake style game, the direction of Doom 3 was fresh.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.