[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this, solid as fuck, the best time I've had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: cover_large.jpg (236 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
cover_large.jpg
236 KB, 600x849
Just finished this, solid as fuck, the best time I've had playing a Mario game since Galaxy. Why does everyone shit on this game? Some people say cause it's similar to 3D world but I think that's an invalid argument because that doesn't make it objectively 'bad'. And why does everyone dismiss this game as not a 'mario game'? It's miles better than the NSMB series, is it because it wasn't a radical departure like the Galaxy games? Does a 'core' Mario game have to fit some arbitrary ruleset? I've played every single Mario game except Galaxy 2 and this shit was solid as fuck.
>>
But it is similar to 3d world, in fact it is the exact same game.
>>
*similar to 3D land
>>
It's your average forgettable Mario experience.
Literally the only levels I remember is a deep woods one because I like those and that Chinese level
>>
It's a good game but completely forgettable.
>>
File: Vince McMadman.gif (1 MB, 306x230) Image search: [Google]
Vince McMadman.gif
1 MB, 306x230
>champion road
20 hours
>>
I didn't like the Bowser car battles.
>>
>>337515654
>why does everyone dismiss this game as not a 'mario game'?
They don't, the debate is to whether or not it counts as a 3D Mario or not

I thought 3D World was pretty good but I prefer most of the other mainline console Marios
>>
>>337515756
that's not a fact, it's indeed a different game
>>
>>337515654
If you can pass through the generic levels, lack of story and recicled enemies, then you have enought autism to enjoy it's simple gameplay.
>>
>>337515654
it is an excellent game, most of v is too young to have experienced this but in the 90s most people thought 3d Mario would be like 3D World, not like Mario 64 and the other games.
3D World is the first game that does Super Mario Bros 3 in 3d well
>>
I liked it more than Galaxy even. This game had a few levels that forced the gamepad gimmick, but thankfully they were limited. In fact, I actually kinda liked the Toad Treasure levels. Galaxy, on the other hand, used the Wii mote, which is the worst controller to ever exist.
>>
>>337516328
this is exactly how I felt about it, the levels were constrained but it was the perfect balance for a legitimate 3D platforming experience. Mario 64 was an awesome game but it was totally different, Mario running across open fields, not doing all that much platforming, and the early beginnings of the collect-athon.
>>
I miss open world mario games rather than having this linear bullshit where every level looks like it can be one of those bonus levels from super mario sunshine.
>>
>>337516328

>Change enviroments to explore freely to guided levels you can only go froward is not somehow a step back

You and Nintendo are retarded. Companies should know you can't put less, limited shit in your newer games when they have already evolved beyond that point.
>>
>>337516752
at the same time I agree with this too, Galaxy was cool but it wasn't nearly the freedom of 64. I remember the opening scene in Galaxy and everywhere I tried to go was invisible walls, you couldn't jump on any rooftops or anything, like the game was saying 'yeah yeah just go to point B.'
>>
>>337515654

Because it's basically designed to be Mario Party.
>>
Toad is the only fun character.
>>
>>337516925
by this logic aren't the NSMB games a 'step backward' too? by this logic does that mean Nintendo can never make a straight platformer again because it's a step backward?
>>
>>337515654
>Why does everyone shit on this game?
Because nearly everyone on /v/ is 12-17 and they are afraid of playing kid's games.
>>
>>337516159

none of the levels are generic though after w1
>>
>>337517181
It is if they take it as the main Mario series instead of just a small spin-off for their hanhelds, like it should have been since the begining. People still waiting the next 3D Mario game after Galaxy
>>
>>337516925

the galaxy games were slow, and a chore, with little platforming, they felt more like adventure games.
seeing the cutscene of the spinning star, seeing the cutscene of mario flying to the planet, seeing the cutscene of mario grabbing the star, and seeing the cutscene of mario getting back to the hub, hundreds of times in every playthrough, made me not want to replay those games ever again.

I got all the Green Stars in Galaxy 2 and sold the game since I realized I was never going to play it again.
3D World is fun to speed run in an afternoon, and you have 5 characters with different physics to do it.
>>
File: 1425234337864.jpg (54 KB, 564x570) Image search: [Google]
1425234337864.jpg
54 KB, 564x570
>>337516159
so youre saying if it played like super mario world than its good.

awesome! thanks!
>>
>>337515889
>700 lifes
I suck at videogames in general so this was true hell for me
>>
>>337517047
what the fuck are you on
>>
>>337515654
The focus on multiplayer make it a shallow single player experience. Levels are far too wide and devoid of platforming to accomodate 4 players. 3D Land had far more tight level design.
Horrible art direction.
Flagpoles, timer, 3 stars to collect and other shit courtesy of the NSMB cancer.
Recycled bosses, assets and levels out of the ass.
Not even remotely challenging until the last 2 secret worlds.
The final boss is a scripted chase sequence that you win by hitting a block.
Overall a bland and forgettable experience, that I regret paying full price for.
>>
>>337516328
Only after playing SMW you can see what a huge mistake Sunshine was
>>
>>337515654
>Why does everyone shit on this game?
Because Wii U emulation is in its infancy so PCfats feel the need to shout how SHIT it is so they can justify not buying the console and continuing to pirate everything or buy only games on 80%+ sales.

The moment Wii U emulation becomes reliable, all of a sudden everyone's gonna love it and they'll all deny ever saying it's shit.
>>
>>337516490
(You)
>>
File: mario-kart-8-wild-woods.jpg (133 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mario-kart-8-wild-woods.jpg
133 KB, 1280x720
What the first HD 3D Mario was supposed to look like:
>>
>>337518971
What it ended up looking like:
>>
File: well, are you.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
well, are you.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>337516159
>Playing Mario games for the story
>Implying EVERY Mario games doesn't rehash enemies
>>
>>337519061
>3d world
>full 3d mario
>>
>>337517317
It would seem the only one here who is 12-17 is you. People don't like it because it's a noticeable step backwards compared to previous Mario titles
>>
>>337515756

I actually like 3d land significantly more than world, and I'm trying to figure out how to explain why. I really didn't like the level design in 3d world, where the levels seemed more concerned with hiding green stars than actually providing platforming challenges. Like, if 3d land's design philosophy was making pure platforming obstacle courses, 3d world was more concerned with making playground like levels.
>>
I'm conflicted on 3D World because I enjoyed it but I just hope it doesn't become standard. I miss when Mario games weren't all beholden to the 2D games.

>>337518971
I can agree that I'd like a Mario game that looks like that, but the problem is that 3D World has over 90 stages. There's no way they'd be able to make nearly as many if they all had to look like that.
>>
>>337519257
Its on par with the galaxy games, and nothing can be lower than fucking Sunshine.
>>
>>337518971
Based Mario kart 8
>>
>>337518610
Cry more.
>>
>>337518890
>Nintendo never do wrong! It-it must be something else!

>>337518971
Don't waste your time. Autist barely appreciate art direction, if they even notice it, that's why they don't mind if their games look like garbage, even for Wii U standards.
>>
>>337519654

>why do people hate 3d world
>here's some reasons
>BAWWWW KEEP CRYING!!

What are you contributing to this thread? They are pretty objective criticisms that anon listed
>>
>>337519778
So do you dislike SM64? That game's art direction is ALL OVER the fucking place.
>>
>>337519986

You fucking pleb, that was intentionally. You literally spend the game JUMPING IN ART and not all art looks the same. Some art is dark and ambient, some art is a cheery snowy landscape, it arguably has some of the best art direction in the series
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.