[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there so much senseless violence in video games? For
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 546546.jpg (695 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
546546.jpg
695 KB, 1280x1707
Why is there so much senseless violence in video games?

For example:
>as 20 year old Lara Croft you don't kill like 4-5 people
>but more than a 100

Literally a mass murderer and you are the "good" guy.
>>
I don't mind being a mass murderer, especially in war games like CoD or stuff like Doom which is fitting, the problem is that games like Lara Croft or Uncharted have you think that you this total normal guy who is going on an adventure finding secrets and doing the right think and we are supposed to act all emotional for their dull cutscenes when you basically just murdered tens of soldiers prior to then, with no impact on the characters.

It's retarded.
>>
>>337494653
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZM2jXyvGOc
>>
Lately the game where I thought this was the most jarring was Watchdogs.

You're supposed to empathize with the guy and his nephew and whatnot and then normal gameplay is literally GTA. It's hard for me to feel bad for the guy when I know that I'll go buy an AK in a minute to shoot people in the face.

This game would've been so much better if it was less GTA and more Hitman.
>>
Indiana Jones' killed plenty of people and nobody's complaining about that.

When you have anything fictional, do like in the MST3K theme song and repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax"
>>
It's not easy to come up with an original set of rules that would work best in a interactive digital entertainment form. A battle is the easiest way to go, racing is probably a far away second place.
>>
>>337495139
Actually I don't think Doomguy killed a single person outside of the secret Wolfenstein maps in 2, they're all hideous monsters from hell
>>
>>337495715
It does create a disconnect if the game is trying to appear grounded or realistic
>>
>>337495857
And those were Nazis who already died, pretty sure they'll just respawn in hell again.
>>
>>337494653
Because violence is a form of conflict resolution and video games are a series of conflict resolutions.

You forget, humans are apex predators, we've got to where we are because we're sophisticated killers. The cushy world we live in has made too many people forget, in a red hot second, any one of us could become violent.

One really bad day is all it really takes.
>>
>>337494653
Because videogames enable you to experience violence from the safety of your couch.
What kind of question is this?
>>
>>337497283
>I don't understand the question, but I'm going to answer anyway!
>>
Big ass game studio's don't have as much cooperation and communication between art directors, writers, and people who actually develop the gameplay.
>>
>>337495672
true
>>
>>337494653
That violence is not senseless, they try to kill you you kill them back.
Altercation is the basic of drama, and human altercation easily devolves into violence.
Almost every great story involves violence and death; not that I would call TR or its story great.

>Literally a mass murderer and you are the "good" guy.
Its not murder if their deaths were basically self-inflicted, they try to kill you first, you are never guilty of provocation.
you remain the good guy by default.
>>
>>337495715
Indiana jobes killed bo more than a dozen nazis in raiders and all in self defense. Also they're nazis, so who cares. Nathan Drake killed more than 1000 people in uncharted 1 to 3
>>
>>337498478
With that kind of argumentation, you could give a carte blance to almost every video game?

The question is, even if you are "defending" yourself/carrying your job as a thief(dark project), is there a point, that you become worse than the enemies?

Let's take Dishonored for example. He literally murders half the city to prove his innocence. Why?
>>
>>337494653
I think games should try to humanize enemies. Make them feel like more than targets. Have them share ammo, scream in pain, panic, react to suppression, react, see the player kill a dozen of their friends and drop their gun and run away in fear.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.