[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are some things native to superman that make his video games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13
what are some things native to superman that make his video games hard to make
>>
to start, it seems like he can do anything, so making a game about a man who can do anything serves counter intuitive to the design of challenge and a learning curve
>>
>>337492290

Nothing

Idiots just keep thinking Superman games have to remain in Metropolis and they must be open world games. There's also this belief that he only fights street thugs. He's fought off invasions, giant robots and spooky shit on world and off world.

He's perfect for a vidya but everyone just wants to make fucking Spider-Man 2 with him
>>
File: tfs.jpg (35 KB, 641x316) Image search: [Google]
tfs.jpg
35 KB, 641x316
They aren't hard to make. I'll never understand why people think this.

There are plenty of games where you can fly and plenty of games where you have super strength. Hell, Shadow of Apokolips was almost a good game, just unpolished.

You don't have to make Superman fucking Morrison JLA tier. Obviously a game where you can go near light speed all over the planet and lift skyscrapers is gonna be hard to make, but it would hardly be the first time Superman was powered down. You could even start him out Morrison Action Comics level and have him slowly upgrade his powers to flying and shit.
>>
>>337492290
He's just boring
>>
File: 1444443388427.jpg (446 KB, 2548x980) Image search: [Google]
1444443388427.jpg
446 KB, 2548x980
Because Superman's best moments are when he isn't punching space despots into the moon
>>
>>337493569
>He's just boring
Why do people who never read comics talk about them?
>>
>>337492637

This. Superman has infinite-flight and faster than light reflexes/movement speed. There is no real level-design that could pay respect to his powers. A Superman game would have to play more akin to Elite Dangerous or No Man's Sky in scale than your average beat em up adventure game.
>>
File: 1346800827917.jpg (506 KB, 1883x1458) Image search: [Google]
1346800827917.jpg
506 KB, 1883x1458
>156 objective markers on your map at any given time
>All of them are time sensitive
>Even when playing as fast as you can you can't even make a dent in them.
>Complete one and 5 more take its place
>>
The best way to make a Superman game, is a no joke, Bioware styled game where everything is based on the decisions you make and specific challenges rather than specific challenges.

Superman's most interesting when it isn't about his particular power set, it isn't about how strong he is, it's about what to do with all that power, and being a fish out of water living in a world where everything is tissue paper to him.
>>
>>337492637
Just put Molyneux in charge of it
>>
File: 18 charisma.jpg (60 KB, 800x588) Image search: [Google]
18 charisma.jpg
60 KB, 800x588
>>
>>337495013
>This. Superman has infinite-flight and faster than light reflexes/movement speed. There is no real level-design that could pay respect to his powers.
What about a superman rhythm game?
Catch speeding bullets osu style.
>>
>>337495445
this picture is so unnerving. every time.
>>
>>337494749

I read the comics. He's still pretty boring. It's mostly what's happening around him that makes the character worthwhile. There's not much depth to his actual personality.
>>
Because to injure him you either need Kryptonite, magic, red sunlight, or to just hit him really really really fucking hard.

So to make things challenging you would need all the enemies Supes fights to have Kryptonite. Or red sun lamps. Or be wizards. Or just be really really really fucking strong.

And then you'd need to find a way to justify that story-wise.

Or you could make up some bullshit excuse about "Kryptonite fog".
>>
>>337492637

I'd avoid an open world sandbox entirely, tight narrative delivered through an almost point and click style adventure game akin to Tell Tale's offerings when Clark, in addition to that balls to the wall fucking wild proper fucking action game segments, tightly designed and straight to the point, Vanquish/DMC/Azura's Wrath tier encounters/fights in ridiculously destructible and reactive environments.
>>
>>337495894
>I read the comics. He's still pretty boring. It's mostly what's happening around him that makes the character worthwhile. There's not much depth to his actual personality.
There is plenty, you don't read comics.
>>
>>337494432
>suicidal bitch made superman waste his entire day waiting on her

I wonder how many people died across the city while he sat there
>>
>>337496021

I don't think you actually read comics if you believe this. He's as dry and typical as superheroes can get.
>>
>>337496058
>Implying Superman didnt move at the speed of light saving people all over the world while making it appear as that he didnt move at all.
>>
Just nerf the shit out of him, the 70's movie Superman was weak as shit besides his magic powers to reverse time & kiss away memories
>>
File: 1413481661658.jpg (88 KB, 762x649) Image search: [Google]
1413481661658.jpg
88 KB, 762x649
>>
File: 1415212421228.jpg (49 KB, 555x407) Image search: [Google]
1415212421228.jpg
49 KB, 555x407
>Playing Lego Batman 3
>Running around as supes
>Fire hurts and can kill him
>>
>>337496058
>implying it wasn't just a hologram that stayed there all day
>>
>>337496648
He's LEGO Superman.

Lego is made of plastic.

Duh doy.
>>
If you think Supes is too strong, you should check out Plastic Man.

You know how Batman has plans on how to take down every other superhero in case they turn evil?

Well, his plan for Plastic Man is "just hope it doesn't ever happen", because if Plas ever did go bad, everyone would be fucked.
>>
>>337496104
He is hope, his personality is hope, and even then especially in more modern interpretations he has flaws like arrogance and the like, some writers have even teased, or outright stated that his sanity was in question, in fact he was driven to evil by the death of those close to him. There is plenty of depth to his personalities, especially in stories such as All Star Superman, Superman and the New Gods, and in Batman vs Superman where his personality is contrasted with Batmans.
>>
>people trying to find lore reasons why the games are bad

The games are bad because the devs are shit
>>
>>337496858
There was at one point an arc in Justice League where Martian Manhunter went evil. He punked the entirety of the Justice League in minutes. There was basically no way to stop him, since he had gotten over his weakness to fire. The only guy who actually was able to fight him was Plastic Man.
>>
File: 1436655821513.jpg (314 KB, 1200x931) Image search: [Google]
1436655821513.jpg
314 KB, 1200x931
>>
File: the ride never ends.jpg (281 KB, 1024x1585) Image search: [Google]
the ride never ends.jpg
281 KB, 1024x1585
>>337492290
>what are some things native to superman that make his video games hard to make
Environmental Destruction
>>
>>337496858
>Plastic Man

A literally who. I think the joke was that he's just so unknown they pretend he's the ultimate badass for giggles.
>>
>>337497004

>He is hope

Lots of Superheroes are hope.

>modern interpretations he has flaws like arrogance

Every superhero.

>in fact he was driven to evil by the death of those close to him

Fucking every superhero

>All Star Superman

Perhaps the greatest example of him having little personality. The reason the story is interesting is because of what's going on around him. Not because he's Superman.
>>
File: 1462953165285.jpg (24 KB, 167x225) Image search: [Google]
1462953165285.jpg
24 KB, 167x225
Superman's moral outlook is the real problem, flying around and fucking shit up is fun and already the focus of fine vidya everywhere.

Removing player ability to choose to do something moraly grey or even evil in a power fantasy simulator is the problem with a superman game.

Hell even holding still and letting things go bad would feel wrong in a superman game.
>>
>>337497895
>Superman's moral outlook is the real problem

Can't they just have you play as Bizarro or something?
>>
>>337497419
No, he really is a tough son of a bitch. Like, "can survive for thousands of years on the bottom of the sea as a pile of chunks" tough.

Also, he's not a guy with rubber powers, he's a god damn shapeshifter. He was turned into a pig once, and just changed back like it was nothing. Besides the whole "can't change color" thing, his shapeshifting is pretty much limitless.

And because of the nature of his powers, his brain is constantly changing shape. Which has the side effect of making him immune to psychic powers.

You know that story arc about Martian Manhunter >>337497180 mentioned?

Yeah, the main reason Batman had Plastic Man join the Justice League was because Plastic Man WAS his fucking plan for Manhunter turning evil.
>>
I think a shump with Supes would be great

Hawkman can be player 2
>>
>>337493518

Alternatively, you can make a game based on the Fleischer shorts
>>
>>337495045

So Dead Rising : Dante Must Die mode?
>>
>>337499508
This was the best Superman. And I'm not some hipster who ironically likes it because it's old, I just never got into modern Superman because he's practically a god invincible to all. Toning it back and making him have clear limitations is the way to do it.
>>
File: 02-machete-kills.w1200.h630.jpg (100 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
02-machete-kills.w1200.h630.jpg
100 KB, 1200x630
>>337499508
pffft Machete does this better
>>
>>337499782

A hipster wouldn't appreciate the Fleischer cartoons

They're some of the finest animated cartoons ever produced that still hold up to this day. They're breathtaking and inspiring. They were my entry to Superman and animation in general.

Those faggots would only like it because it's old and not Batman.
>>
>>337497895
>Superman's moral outlook is the real problem, flying around and fucking shit up is fun and already the focus of fine vidya everywhere.

Then the solution is simple. Have Superman go fucking off world.
>>
>>337497180
I feel like every writer forgets that J'onn is an absolute monster in terms of power.
Almost superman tier flying brick powers, and telepathy and shapeshifting.
>>
>>337498294

Sort of reminds me of Spider-Man's rogue gallery

You have a bunch of thugs that van harness elements and they're wasted robbing jewelery stores and losing to a punk cracking jokes.

Not as powerful as Plastic Man, but their powers are wasted due to the people that possess them
>>
>>337492290
Free-form flight

Not specific to Superman as far as superpowers go; but there is not game that adequately transitions between surface mobility and flight. Muchless the kind of precision in flight that you'd expect a man-sized flying man taking to the skies to battle, what is in all probability, another man-sized man.
>>
You need to have a bunch who are actually interested in making one for starters.
>>
A Lego Marvel kinda gameplay would be kickass.
Metropolis as a big hub in which you can do whatever (Lots of idle animation, random thiefs to punch the crap out of, kids asking for autographs, in short I want a big fucking city with LOTS OF SHIT to do in it), and missions being replayable levels.
Simple but efficient.
>>
File: Death by Brute Force.png (644 KB, 430x541) Image search: [Google]
Death by Brute Force.png
644 KB, 430x541
>>337492637
Well he has a bunch of villains that can push his shit in. And then there's guys like Lex who hit him with shit that you just can't punch away

>>337501152
I think the Avengers have said they're glad that Spidey's villains tend to focus on him or are just outright dumb because they would be legit threats to the Avengers if they actually got serious
>>
>>337492290
Superman is too well known for constantly flying through all the floating rings that exist all over Metropolis
>>
>>337503184
>I think the Avengers have said they're glad that Spidey's villains tend to focus on him or are just outright dumb because they would be legit threats to the Avengers if they actually got serious
On a scale of 1 to "This won't be good" how bad would it be if that happened?
>>
Make it have a focus on moral choices.

Do I save this train, or do I stop this woman from jumping off the bridge with her child in her arms?

It'd be hard but make people realize that at the end of the day Superman is powerless. He can't save everyone. Have the story reflect that. Have it be down to Earth, have superman be young and just discovering his powers.

Have a big bad but don't forget that people die and crimes are commited everyday.
>>
>>337503781
At least three of Spidey's rogues are straight up elementals, Doc Ock almost killed the fucking world, and when Norman Osborn decided to focus his efforts outside of Spider-Man, he managed to take over SHIELD and create his own version of the Avengers.
>>
>>337504307

Spidey keeps them all in check with jokes and sik banter.

And when they piss him off

Christ, an evil Spider-Man would be disastrous
>>
>>337504307
Well shit. Maybe it is a good thing they're obsessed with Spider man.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.