[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The rise and fall of Lionhead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 26
File: Lionhead_Studios_Logo.png (33 KB, 325x353) Image search: [Google]
Lionhead_Studios_Logo.png
33 KB, 325x353
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-12-lionhead-the-inside-story

Because the technology powering Milo & Kate wasn't developed enough, the decision was made to record footage of the game and use that as part of an elaborate smoke and mirrors demo. In a bid to avoid screen tear, Lionhead rendered out the demo frame by frame in high definition. It was, according to one person who worked on it, "a quick and dirty job".

Redmond wanted to up the quality, so flew out a film crew to the UK to make the magic happen. An actress was hired to play a person who would pretend to play the game.
>>
""If you said a rude thing, nothing would have happened. The thing would only have done what we programmed it to do. This wasn't the AI revolution. This was a scripted narrative, where you're a little child's imaginary friend.

"But the dream that got sold on stage was, wow, you can do anything, even show him your knob. Then people ask, what happens if I show Milo my knob? Well the answer should have been, nothing, because we haven't programmed it that way.""
>>
At E3 2003, Peter Molyneux did a press interview about Fable. In it he announced multiplayer for the game. Developers back at Guildford watched in horror. No-one had heard anything about multiplayer. One engineer, we were told, was close to tears. When Molyneux returned, he faced the full wrath of a stressed and exhausted development team. The Carters raised their flame shields. Don't worry, they said. We'll work it out.

Molyneux has a reputation for causing all sorts of problems for those who work for him. If he's not announcing a new feature for a game due out in a few months, he's tearing up already completed work. There are many examples of this throughout Lionhead's life. They are not pretty.

The acorn. Or, according to one former Lionhead developer, "that fucking acorn." In the run up to the release of Fable, Molyneux claimed that if your character knocks an acorn off a tree, another tree would eventually grow from the fallen acorn. When the game came out, this fantastical acorn feature was no-where to be found.
>>
>>337490552
>One engineer, we were told, was close to tears.
You lose ability to cry when you become an engineer, that faggot was fraud
>>
>>337490552
>if your character knocks an acorn off a tree, another tree would eventually grow from the fallen acorn.
that's fucking easy to code though, what was the issue?
>>
"Peter Molyneux is a divisive figure among those who play his games and those who worked for him at Lionhead. He would infuriate and inspire with the same breath, cry during meetings, and cause huge headaches while coming up with groundbreaking design. He is a paradox.

"We were only about three months off shipping, and he showed the game," John McCormack remembers of Fable.

"At that point I'm just finishing up, getting the last of the assets done. And he pointed at the screen at a massive press thing and said, this is probably about 30 per cent of how good it looks because the art is not done yet. And I was like, the art is totally done. Why are you saying that? He was just like, aye, you know John, come on, you've got to sell these things.""
>>
>>337490842
>im a first year cs dickhead
>>
>>337490842
maybe in an open world sandbox game, not fucking fable.
>>
>>337490019
Should anyone even give a fuck about Lionhead? They weren't that big and the last few games they developed sucked.
>>
i have never heard anything about peter molyneux that has improved my opinion of him. Ever. Every single word that someone utters regarding him is negative in some fashion, and usually in a new way I hadn't heard before
>>
>>337491372
they were cool back in the day around 2000-2004 when they were all about making innovative games, B&W1 was one of my favourite games as a kid and fable 1 looked amazing pre-release.
>>
>Webley had named his hamster Lionhead because of its huge neck and because it looked a bit like a chap who used to pop up at the local pub who had "ridiculous" blonde curly hair. Molyneux's then girlfriend suggested Lionhead as the name for the studio. It stuck. "As soon as we called the company Lionhead, my hamster died," Webley says. "It was a death wish."

holy fuck. I bet if hamsters could lie it would have done that for a month first
>>
>>337491097
The man was a pathological hyper.
>>
>>337490019
Do Eurogamer really have such well done articles? This was amazing.
>>
>>337490842
>that's fucking easy to code though, what was the issue
The issue is going back and putting that feature in usually involves breaking a bunch of other shit in the process numbnuts.
>>
desu Molyneux is what happens when dinosaurs of early PC gaming tried to make shit for modern consoles/computers/audience

the same thing happened to the Might and Magic guys or to the Wizardry team although there is a lot of pedophilia involved in the latter as well
>>
Reading this makes me happy Peter got fucked after leaving ME. Godus, cube and his new company were all disasters.
>>
"People were happy that Legends was coming to a close. We never really expected Legends to last a long time, but we never expected them to cancel it. "The biggest shock was the closing of the studio though. It felt as that because Microsoft hadn't had the best year with their games that we took the brunt of the attack, rather than a big studio such as 343.

"The biggest stab in the heart though was that for roughly six years the studio had pretty much been tasked to develop games that Microsoft wanted us to make to show off tech. Very few people wanted to make Fable: The Journey and almost nobody wanted to work on Fable Legends.
>>
>>337492860

Oh yeah the Journey was a thing. Thats the kinect game right?
>>
>>337492056
no.
here's another good one by them though, follows how free radical got fucked up.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-free-radical-vs-the-monsters
>>
Lionhead has always disappointed, lying about the first Fable's capabilities and not being able to manage to make them good.
>>
>>337492056
They have some good features quite often. They did a good one on the kid that got fucked over with the Godus prize.
>>
>>337492413
the modern wizardry games aren't made by the old devs though, they're made by different japanese companies since the series has always been way more popular in japan for some reason.
>>
>>337490019
TL;DR no one cares!
>>
>>337493725
Go back to your overwatch/D44M/Dark Souls threads little babby
>>
File: 1462925974882.png (109 KB, 265x292) Image search: [Google]
1462925974882.png
109 KB, 265x292
>kiddies on /v/ laugh at this outdated company
>anybody over the age of 20 would completely understand the importance and legacy of Lionhead

Lionhead and Molyneux were both some of the most important figures in gaming in the 90s and early 2000s. I honestly have the feeling that half the people in this thread are under the age of fifteen.
>>
>>337493636
he pissed off peter so bad in that interview. i wish there had been a video
>>
>>337493978
What did he say?
>>
>>337494070
he opened by asking if peter felt he was a pathological liar, for one
>>
>>337494070
They straight up asked Peter if he was a pathological liar
>>
>>337493959

23 here, Lionhead was barely that important besides maybe the first 2 fables and the first Black & White.

They were interesting, yes, but their games were barely noteworthy outside its home consoles.

I'd argue Bullfrog was more important for 90's gaming than Lionhead ever was.
>>
>>337493959
Peter Molyneux always oversold his ideas and could never measure up to what he said. What achievements he accomplished will always be overshadowed by his inability to reach his promises, no matter how great the achievement
>>
>>337493959
They were big at one time but I wouldn't overstate their accomplishments like that, anon.
>>
>>337493959
>if they were good at one point then they can never do wrong
>nobody is allowed to make fun of them
Maybe you should stop trying to act like an oldfag gaming guru and realize you're on shitposting:the website.
>>
>>337492413
How about you tell that story.
>>
>>337492194
>not making your code safe to modification
No wonder shiesda and ubisoft games runs like garbage, it's incompetent shitheads like you that are in charge.
>>
such a shame, some of my favorite games come from his creativity, syndicate, fable and black and white
and what happens, good ol uncle microsoft fucked them over, just what they did to rare and nokia...any company that goes in with microsoft goes downhill
>>
So, once you go over 60-80 people your studio is basically fucked?
Unless your Blizzard and literally shit money.
>>
>>337493959
Black & White and the first Fable were a mix of hype and interesting premise, but shit execution.
>>
>>337494710
>and what happens, good ol uncle microsoft fucked them over, just what they did to rare and nokia...any company that goes in with microsoft goes downhill

>Lionhead made shit Fable 3
>Milo never existed
>Moleneux was gone soon after
>Prototypes were insane and impossible to make into actual videogames

They imploded years before M$ shut them down and were coasting along with nothing to show themselves, famalam. It wasn't an intentional gutting job like what happened with Psygnosis.
>>
>>337493978
>>337494070
>>337494224
>>337494251
It was RPS and not Eurogamers that did that interview: https://archive.is/X0i4a
>>
>>337493660
I meant Stones of Arnheim
>>
File: 1043089_1338609795208_full.jpg (49 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1043089_1338609795208_full.jpg
49 KB, 1024x576
>>337494710
>good ol uncle microsoft fucked them over

Microsoft didn't screw Peter Molyneux.
Pete screwed Pete.
>>
>>337494707
>lol whats the prob, just make it safe to modify :^)
You sound like the ideas guy who has no fucking idea how coding works but thinks he can have any feature in his product at no cost.
>>
>>337494573
>How about you tell that story.

Basically the guys hired by sir-tech to spearhead the project were a literal couple of incompetent Australian faggots that spent their time picking up poor kids at the local train station and fucking them, mind you that was 20 years ago, and in 2014 a pedo-ring that raped and killed children was busted in that same area.

Needless to say the game never got released.
>>
>>337495391
whoops, my bad
>>
>>337495527
He probably works for 22cans
>>
>>337495342
yeah but microsoft was at the helm.
if microsoft said, make fable 3,they had to do it, just like ending up saying make fable ehatever the fuck its called (the one that used kinect only)
pete m was into strategy and rpg games, that was his thing.

like with rare, they created some amazing fps and platform games on the 64, why did they have them making shit kinect games
>>
>>337493959
Lionhead didn't leave behind anything impacting besides Fable, and their only decently crafted game is the only one that they didn't hype up and it was The Movies.

Bullfrog on the other hand was actually decent, they kept Peter in check and everything was good, until EA came out of fucking no where and destroyed the company.
>>
>>337494785
>I'm from a family of 6 people
>we tried to work together fixing cars and selling car parts
>it's terrible
>brother is a lazy fuck
>my stepfather believes he's better than everybody else and know everything, so he keeps talking shit about us in front of the costumers
>mother is always crying because it's too much work for her plus my stepfather talking shit
>my cousins are good workers, but they just want to do their job and get the money (I don't blame them, I want the same)
>I'm trying to keep thinks together, working without a salary for more than two years, trying to be calm and fix the problems because it's my family
>my stepfather doesn't even let me finish a whole phrase because he knows better
>the moment I leave it'll end, I'm 100% sure and I'm talking about my family starving

I can't even imagine how is to manage 50 people.
>>
Populous was alright I think
>>
File: 1450573727679.jpg (6 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
1450573727679.jpg
6 KB, 249x249
>>337490674
its not a spanner engineer you fucking spanner
>>
File: 1439896420459.jpg (39 KB, 343x481) Image search: [Google]
1439896420459.jpg
39 KB, 343x481
>>337495227
>Black & White and the first Fable
>shit execution
>>
The Black and White games could have used random map generators
And maybe a way to generate ore.
Disappointed I couldn't have a sheep in BnW 2
>>
An actual story about video games that's interesting - on /v/?

Is today fucking opposite day?
>>
I was real disappointed that the fishing mini game was not included in Fable 2.
>>
>>337493959
I'm old enough to remember Populous 2 coming out

Lionhead was Peter's first attempt to flee coporate masters

B&W was hype, but kinda boring sandbox... like an earlier iteration of Minecraft's success

Fable 1 was cool for its "british-ness", but was a fairly shallow piss-about. The best thing about it was the good/evil fat/thin body morphing (something B&W also had)

everything else by Lionhead wasn't exceptional.

Media Molecule is probably the best thing to come out of Lionhead. they both think up cool shit and deliver. Though LBP is getting a bit long in the tooth.

With Lionhead dead, I'm hoping to see a bunch of games from dreamers but actually backed up with experience of having to deal with Peter's shit.
>>
>>337500059
The body morphing was kinda cool, but I always ended up as a walking fossil.
Magic = age was balls
>>
God, that was a great article.

I'm not used to actually good videogame journalism.
>>
>>337500772
>play B&W
>come out evil, dark clouds and black and red
>okay, this time I'll play "nice" and get the good halo etc
>still end up evil
I think I need to see a priest
>>
>>337495656

Reminds me why Nintendo always keeps the Eternal Darkness IP renewed even though there will never be another ED game. One of the co-creators was convicted as a pedophile in Canada. It helped destroy the last reminants of that spiritual successor Kickstarter and Nintendo started renewing the IP since just to keep it from ever being seen again.
>>
>>337501714
>Nintendo
>pedophile
yea, lucky they've only had that one incidence
no others
nope
>>
>>337500059
>Fable 1 was cool for its "british-ness", but was a fairly shallow piss-about.
Yeah nah fable was great

BnW was kinda shit because they couldn't balance the game concept so it ended up directionless

They tried to correct this with BnW2 being more war focused but the same shit happened
>>
>>337501714
But i thought Nintendo loved pedos
>>
>>337501927
>They tried to correct this with BnW2 being more war focused

That was the worst direction they could take it. B&W was a mess, but an interesting one. B&W 2 was just bland.
>>
>>337502112
It was neat to build a skycraper to max height
... once
>>
>>337493959
>90ties kids thinking Lionhead was ever revelant
Kiddo, i know it was a game of your teen years, but come on
The studio started with a blunder, Black and white, and ended with one Fable.

It influenced the industry in no way and wast most know for shitting out over hyped disappointing shallow rts and rpg games before it became known for its crappy fable cash ins.

To be honest the only game i would consider even remotely being worth a try is their first game, Black and White everything is just awful by any modern standards.

And as a side not, being barely out of your teens makes you no more of an adult than the shitfaced brat playing crappy xbox games you were few years ago.
>>
>>337502112
>That was the worst direction they could take it.
I think they gave up on other things and ended up with it to get the game done

I don't know why they thought they could make the game about war when you can slap all armies around as soon as they enter your domain range

One good rock throw and you wiped half his army

they also balanced it poorly, whenever you got big enough to create an army as big as your opponents you would win automatically by having enough civ points or whatever they were called so all your opponent citizens would migrate towards your city

To raise these points all you had to do was to build houses

Shit was weird

They should have done another populous desu
>>
>>337501693
Not really, B&W has faulty design. Followers are never-satisfied and they become incredibly lazy if you act good.
>>
>>337502667
Also to make you use the "god powers" they set up miniquests that shouldn't been there Populous made you use them organically as levels were designed in a way you couldn't only win by using them correctly
>>
>>337502667
thing is, Populous: The Beginning (the best one) was basically after Molyneux had left EA
>>
>>337502112
BW2 was just fucking shit
the focus on combat was just mind boggling when the game lacked any kind of depth or balance to even attempt being a real strategy game
Its like the devs were too retarded to even understand what people found appealing about the first one, then again seeing how the studio ended up i know this was the case
A studio ruled by a bunch of incompetent lazy fucks filled by lazy man children leads not having the balls to push even a single idea
>>
>>337502667
>having enough civ points or whatever they were called so all your opponent citizens would migrate towards your city
So enraging. I tried playing as the Anti-Christ in one my of playthroughs so I could actually experience the War portion of the game and still managed to win peacefully.
>>
Whatever happened to that kid that won the cube game, did he end up making some dosh or did he get molyneuxed?
>>
>>337502997
Even then they could have used it as reference if they wanted to focus the game on combat

Reading the article it kinda makes sense the games ended up how they did but at the same time how can you have 200-300 employees most who played video games and be not able to come up with a good game concept?
>>
>>337502667
You can plant 5 trees near each houses, they give a gorillion bonus points.
>>
>>337495425
That was just cleve blakemore being a fag
>>
File: 1456963998073.png (454 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1456963998073.png
454 KB, 800x600
Lionhead studios sounds like it would have been an amazing place to work I wish I was born earlier so i could have taken part in the creation of video games during such an influential era
>>
>>337503369
>did he get molyneuxed?

Yes. Very much so.
>>
>Many consider Fable 2 to be Lionhead's best game. But up until six months before its 2008 release it was in a dangerously unfinished state. Like so many triple-A video games, Fable 2 only came together after a brutal, final push.

>People who worked on Fable 2 say that up until this dramatic last gasp push, the game's story was almost nonexistent and some of its features felt more like prototypes.
KEK
>>
>>337490842
The overhead would be the issue.
Games don't like having lots and lots of constant instances to deal with.
Sure, there are smart ways to cut down on this, but ultimately fitting such a small feature in robs resources from other things the game engine needs to run.
And consoles aren't very powerful machines anyway.

Plus you have to also remember, several people will be working on the same game focusing on different parts. the more complicated things get the more confused the overall code is going to be and things will get more and more broken and it risks the game getting stuck in development hell.

This is why so many games are safe and relatively simple. The focus is on the main selling points, the stuff the marketers can pitch to the consumers.
You CAN polish a turd.
>>
>Molyneux's other directive: Fable 2 must have a dog. And that dog must die.

>"We had a meeting," McCormack recalls. "We'd not seen him in weeks because he had other things on. He opened the door, walked in and goes, the hero has a dog, and it dies. And then he left and we didn't see him again for another month. We were like, what the fuck? That was it. That was the direction."

I found it kind of scary that old Petey was like we actually thought he was. I guess Todd Howard spends all the time posting on /v/ then
>>
Sounds like they are a bunch of SJW, glad they got shut down. I knew things were fishy after they apologized for the art with a bar maiden holding up a couple of beers near her tits.
>>
File: 1445779185176.png (58 KB, 403x270) Image search: [Google]
1445779185176.png
58 KB, 403x270
>>337493959
30 years old autist here.

Lionhead has put out mediocre game with delusions of grandeur and has left nothing behind. Their games were outdated before they even came out. It was Bullfrog who actually did the good things, but in the end none of them have and will not leave any kind of legacy behind, not even Peter's exaggerations.
>>
>>337505027
>Sounds like they are a bunch of SJW
What the fuck are you talking about,

You can blame Lionhead for many things, but not for that.
>>
>>337505027
>Sounds like they are a bunch of SJW
That's not the impression I got, just that they were your everyday Brtisih politically correct wimps, perhaps a little bit ahead of the curve.
>>
>>337492413
Nah. Molyneux is in a league of his own.
He's like a moon man. Doesn't understand quite how things work so just wings it and does his best to act human.

If anything his success in the first place is pretty much a fluke due to really good fortune in getting the right people working under him.
>>
>>337505337
The guy was ranting because Microsoft marketing team wouldn't let them put a black woman on the cover of Fable. Plus the gay marriage shit. It's pretty clear where their allegiances lie even if they aren't full on social justice dipshits. If the studio had been allowed to live i'm sure things would have got worse though considering the current climate.
>>
>>337505027
>>337505465
The article says microsoft coerced them

>ost former Lionheads remember "fridge magnet-gate". According to three separate sources, it went like this:

>An artist used the fridge magnet letters to spell out a homophobic slur directed at his close friend. Another artist thought it was directed at him, however, and lodged an official complaint. Lionhead human resources, such as it was, went into meltdown. Fridge magnets were banned.

>"The guy who did it shit himself," John McCormack remembers. "He was like, I'm going to lose my job. And we were like, you fucking might. We'd been doing this shit for years. This is a place where you take the piss and you have a laugh, and nobody takes anything seriously. I'm not saying the fridge magnet thing was right, it just was in keeping with everything else. HR were not having it at all."

This was after the acquisition
>>
File: futureroom.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
futureroom.jpg
130 KB, 1024x768
>>337502112
So many things went wrong with BW2. They cut out/down everything that made the original game entertaining, then turned it into a city builder with light RTS elements. I would have loved it if they had just tried to improve on what was there instead of making that weird chimera of a game.

I still like it though, the concept itself is still interesting, basically came right at the end of that era where medium/large developers weren't afraid of trying new things.
>>
>>337505549
They just made things to piss people off, they had no political agenda.

Hell, In fable 1 you had whores, you could hit your wife. In fable 3 you could fart on anyone's face for crying out loud.

Lionhead wasn't a really good team, they relied on hype and never really delivered anything beyond novelty, but they never acted like demented SJW, even if they made some 'progressive' moves.

Leave your /pol/ memes behind.
>>
>>337495391
This has to be one of the slimiest people to ever be interviewed
>>
It's better to let your company die out instead of being "acquired" by a big publisher that ultimately plans to gut your IPs and flood you down with bureaucracy.

I actually think Public Limited Companies are the most evil soulless organisations to ever have existed. As soon as you float, you might as well move on, because investors are going to make a big hole in it and take a giant shit in it.

That's what the smart ones do. Start another start-up whilst bringing the best talent with you.
>>
File: akagi.png (169 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
akagi.png
169 KB, 640x480
>>337506069
>In fable 3 you could fart on anyone's face for crying out loud.

Wow, what a political faux pas. They sure are sticking it to the man.

Call me when they allow you to rape someone.
>>
>>337506069

>they relied on hype

like damn near everything these days

The only decent Fable was Fable 1 and anyone that says 2 or 3 were good games seriously does not know any better.
>>
>>337490842

If you can add trees, you need to be able to remove them.
If you can remove trees, they are no longer a valid level wall.

They'd need to redo huge amounts of the maps.
>>
>>337506798
>Fable 3
>Become king
>Decide, like, 3 things (good option only if you're rich)
>Game ends
What the bloody hell?
>>
>>337506069
I just kept punching my wife in Fable 1 to see if she'd divorce me. Not just a few punches either, enough to kill the whole town because I thought maybe I just needed to punch her more for it to happen.

If I remember correctly, she just stayed.
>>
File: rr43.png (207 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
rr43.png
207 KB, 600x500
>>337506419
>>337495391
Agreed. Just finished reading it and that guy makes my skin crawl.

He was caught in so many lies he couldn't even talk straight.
>>
>>337490019
I wonder what gaming journalism would look like if articles of this caliber were the norm.
>>
Ok, real talk.

What's your favourite Bald Lying Man's bullshit claim?

For me, it has to be that Milo thing
https://youtu.be/xAt0pexaYGE
I like to think that they actually created an AI little boy and that Peter just keeps the only working prototype in his basement.
>>
File: 1444928509515_1_.jpg (145 KB, 1111x597) Image search: [Google]
1444928509515_1_.jpg
145 KB, 1111x597
>>337507267
That's called realism
>>
>>337507491
Yeah, an article with original research and an interesting topic.

Who would have thought such thing was possible.
>>
>>337492056
>>337507491
Eurogamer has written some cool things in the past but they are FUCKING shills of the highest calibre most of the time.

The damage control for TW3's downgrade was fucking insane.
>>
>>337508060
That's RARE, isn't it?
>>
File: vqWBnim.png (138 KB, 664x473) Image search: [Google]
vqWBnim.png
138 KB, 664x473
https://youtu.be/fgJqliVWSSg?t=4m18s
>>
>>337507589
Oh my God, it's still so hard to watch.
>>
>Lionhead had spent four years on Fable 2 and produced a truly special video game. It then had 18 months to turn around Fable 3.

>Molyneux's idea was to make Fable even more accessible. But he - and Lionhead - went too far. Many of the role-playing game elements players enjoyed in Fable 2 were either streamlined or stripped away. The visuals improved, but some of the Fable-ness had been lost.

>"The problem was Fable 3 had come out too early," Peter admits. "I blame myself for that. I should have pushed harder. I should have pushed to say we needed another year. The King section in Fable 3 wasn't what it should have been. But they hit their dates. And when you're part of a big organisation, hitting a date and hitting a budget is where you get a big pat on the back."
>>
>>337508772

>literally admits to being a corporate tool devoid of any desire to make a truly great game

And he wonders why people hate him now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Microsoft should have stayed out of gaming.
>>
>>337506463

yeah if a game won't let me fulfill my rapist fantasies it's basically SJW trash
>>
>>337509010
>"Should we as auteurs, as creators, be frightened by people who are sick enough to imagine that sort of thing happening?" he says, clearly still upset some seven years later. "I don't think we should. Being creative is taking risks. Not only taking risks with gameplay and how you use controllers, but taking risk with subject matter and story.
He still has the spin though.
>>
>>337508271
god, I just couldn't take trying to watch that
>>
File: 1309264952147.jpg (12 KB, 130x130) Image search: [Google]
1309264952147.jpg
12 KB, 130x130
Reading all these prank stories and such makes me wish I could work at a game studio like that.
>>
>>337510475

Well, you need to actually have skills and training to be able to do your job AND make pranks, anon.
>>
>Staff say after Molyneux left, the studio became more organised, more structured and more professional. And there were incredibly talented people still at the studio, many of whom had worked there for years. But that creative spark had been lost. And, in some ways, Lionhead missed him.

>"We didn't really appreciate Peter's greatest trait until he left: keeping Microsoft at bay," says one person who worked at Lionhead right up until its closure.

>"Peter could do what he wanted and he could say no to Microsoft about almost anything. He had that power, and when he left we suddenly felt a bit more vulnerable."

>single-player focused role-playing game would not be allowed, Lionhead was told. "There's no way anybody's going to be making single-player boxed products any more," sources say Microsoft executives told Lionhead. "I want something that's games as a service."
How the hell can they be thinking something like this in 2012 with Skyrim just barely out of the door and making a killing.
>>
>>337506452

Or, make it like Valve, and keep it private, unless you really need the money.

The guys from the development team even said it was a bad idea to bank on their stock values.
>>
>>337511426
Microtransactions and proprietary software and services are the way of the future! Only cashless hikki neets would pay for something not multiplayer!
>>
I think Lionhead was an influential studio more for developers than it was for gamers. As people in the thread have said, they made some decent games but nothing exceptional, but from the article you can see that everyone who worked for the studio had a lot of passion and creativity,
>>
>>337513308
>but from the article you can see that everyone who worked for the studio had a lot of passion and creativity
from the article the sound like a bunch of drunken english retards
>>
>>337513529
>not wanting to make games with a bunch of drunken english retards
I'll sock you in the gabber m8, swear on me mum.
>>
>>337513308
>Peter Molyneux's influence cannot be overstated. Amid the broken promises and nonsensical design demands, Molyneux gave so many their big break. The Guildford game development scene perhaps owes its existence to the controversial designer. There was Lionhead, of course, but so much more: Media Molecule, No Man's Sky developer Hello Games - even EA and Ubisoft have set up publishing operations there. I've heard Lionhead described as a university by some. So many incredibly talented developers learnt their trade there, before going it alone.

>I always describe Bullfrog and Lionhead as places where you were generally allowed as much rope as you wanted, as long as you were prepared to hang yourself," Dene Carter says.
>>
>>337513529

Drunken english retards that had tons of programming skills.
>>
File: CiSg5ZFUYAARupA.jpg (47 KB, 600x688) Image search: [Google]
CiSg5ZFUYAARupA.jpg
47 KB, 600x688
>>337505027
>SJW

They weren't sjws by any stretch but they certainly learned the hard way that you are not allowed to have any fun.
>>
File: CiSg69iU4AEqS6E.jpg (50 KB, 600x783) Image search: [Google]
CiSg69iU4AEqS6E.jpg
50 KB, 600x783
>>337515640
>>
>>337515640
Oh shit, I remember that. Such a shame that spirit died.

Microsoft sure knows how to turn good UK devs into regular shitshows.
>>
nice read

here's another somewhat interesting eurogamer article about curiosity, the guy who won it and godus

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot
>>
>>337515841
What news of Godus? Is 22can dead yet? There's nothing.
>>
>>337515910
last I heard godus is dead
>>
>>337515841
>somewhat interesting

meant to write somewhat related because it is very interesting
>>
>>337516008
Makes sense , it looked and played like shit, all you could do was to click on gems that appeared on top of houses

He wanted to make a p2w cellphone game but advertised it as populous
>>
>>337505772
>Black & White had one of the most advanced AI ever seen in a video game.
>Black & White 2 squanders everything.
>>
>>337516008
>>337515910
>>337516304

You'd be WRONG. They released an expansion just last february

store.steampowered.com/app/422420

It's really shit, though.
>>
File: godus.png (160 KB, 548x616) Image search: [Google]
godus.png
160 KB, 548x616
>>337517321
Fucking hell

Peter why
>>
>>337493959
I enjoyed black and white 1 and 2.
>>
>>337517854
favourite creature?
>>
>>337517321
>not dead, they released something abysmal just 3 months ago!

I realize that 3 months isn't that long if you live on a farm, but the game industry is incredibly volatile.
>>
>>337515640
The art is mediocre tier concept art that studios put out on their social media. The reaction people had to this is gross, fuck humans.
>>
>>337518069

Well, Baldur's gate got an expansion after 15 years.

3 months isn't that much of a time for SINGLEPLAYER games, since they don't rely on a constant flux of players to stay relevant.
>>
>>337496090
Mostly because the games they let them had free reign were shit. Even the devs confirmed that ms kinda tightened their hold on rare after the constant turds (beyond viva pinata and kameo)they pushed out.the death of lion head is the result of their shitty performance in the last 6-7 years . Even with Peter at helm they created turds like fable 3. Everyone agreed that fable legend was no different
>>
>>337517949
Wolf, make him evil as fuck. I replayed them with a few different creatures. Turtle is nice.
>>
>>337518069
>expecting devs to release content every few months
Not defending peter, but you've got the wrong idea. It takes a lot of time to create content.
>>
File: raperface.jpg (59 KB, 340x520) Image search: [Google]
raperface.jpg
59 KB, 340x520
>trashy click bait website advertising their articles on 4chan
>>
>>337518425
>eurogamer
>trashy

dont be mad just cuz the US cant produce anything worth reading
>>
I like the three Fable Games. 2 and 3 much less so than 1 but whatever.

I'm going to miss that British quirkiness.
>>
File: stupid.jpg (90 KB, 464x700) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
90 KB, 464x700
>>337515841
thats extremely poor quality writing
>>
>Then there were the "commitments". Lionhead staff were asked to write down five measurable goals for the upcoming six months, to be approved by a line manager. One person says he was asked to write down that Fable 2 must get a Metacritic review score average of 85 per cent, in order to achieve a bonus. "And you're like, I have no control over that," the person said. "Who has control over Metacritic?"

HAHAHAHA, so that "minimal metacritic score" isn't only for Bethesda to fuck with Obsidian? That's a genuine development objective.

WOW.
>>
>>337518219
>BG got another expansion
>made by a completely different group of people
What does a group of organized modders have to do with an F2P studio that can't put out a single good title to justify its existence in the first place?
Nothing, I'd wager.

>>337518321
>content takes time
So the idea is to make shite for content first, THEN produce "the good stuff" to make up for it a few months down the line?
Do failures mean nothing in business now?
>>
File: 1384723380905.jpg (208 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1384723380905.jpg
208 KB, 1280x720
>>337518713
>this level of delusional victimhood
>>
>>337518750
>So the idea is to make shite for content first, THEN produce "the good stuff" to make up for it a few months down the line?
Do failures mean nothing in business now?
Did you read

>>337517785
?
>>
>>337518713
>he didn't know
It's everywhere m8

Fuck making a cool game, you've got suits and scores to please!
Help marketing do their jobs or you're out on the street.
>>
Fugggg man that pitch for Fable 4 sounds super cool

>It was in this context that a pitch for a Fable 4 game was rejected. John McCormack was the chief architect of the pitch. He wanted to switch to Unreal Engine 4 and move the series into the technological, industrial age, with tram cars and flying machines. "We wanted to hit the late Victorian proper far out Jules Verne shit," McCormack says.

>In the first Fable, Bowerstone was a small town. In Fable 2 it was a big town. In Fable 3 it was a city. In McCormack's Fable 4, Bowerstone was London, vast and dense. Jack the Ripper would run the streets, a Balverine in disguise.

>The game would lean heavily on British mythology. McCormack planned to take Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, give them a Fable twist and drop them in "this kind of weird fucked up London environment".

>"And that was going to be Fable 4, and it would be darker and grittier. And because it was R-rated it would have the prostitutes and the humour. I was like, man, this is going to be fucking brilliant, and everybody was really into it."
>>
Fuck... I loved the Fable games so much.

Why did they make 3 Fable offshoots after Fable 3 and not a proper sequel that improved on its shortcomings? Mattrick is absolutely retarded.
>>
>"Suddenly it was like, holy shit, we're a real developer. We're somebody. We're successful, and we're reaping the rewards. We were suddenly able to access Microsoft tools, and every PC had a legitimate copy of Windows for once. We just became a professional dev studio."

Wooo, legitimate Windows on their PCs. That's only for rich people.
>>
>>337491902
>if
I could be a hamster right now and you'd never know.
>>
>>337518972
This is exactly what I wanted from 4. A bigger bowerstone sandbox with the Fable humor and charm. I hate MS right now. How the fuck do you greenlight Fable Logunds and not this?
>>
>>337519034
So it's true.

That fucking hamster's ghost really does haunt and shitpost in these Lionhead failure threads.
I fucking knew it.
>>
>>337518993
Receiving copies of the latest OS from a company or being able to afford enough of it for your entire business is a significant gap from jamming in your torrented OS installers from your usbs,
>>
>>337518972
Was about to post this. Fable finally sounds interesting again. Fuck your profits Microsoft.
>>
>>337519141
Because a massive single-player RPG wouldn't be "software as service", now would it?

Get with the times, gramps. Everyone wants to pay subscriptions to play their glorified facebook games now, they don't want a wholesome experience. There's zero demand, and you don't count because fuck you.
>>
>>337519243

Eh, fair enough. They did say they had over 100 people working on the building at some point, but I'd guess that microsoft has a sale package for companies OS sales. Ireelevant in this case, since their boss IS microsoft.
>>
>>337519235
every time a player doesnt catch the Mass Effect space hamster, it's ghost shitposts on /v/
>>
>>337515715
If literally every person in this picture died, no one in the world would notice a decreased quality of life.

Just something to think about.
>>
Fuck, I hope someone buys and revives Black and White. I loved both of'em.
>>
>>337518986
Yeah I dont get how MS can shut htem down for making what htey demanded they make. Its MS fault for wasting the money not Lionhead.

I hope we get Fable 4 in some form.
>>
File: 1463060932836.gif (662 KB, 800x528) Image search: [Google]
1463060932836.gif
662 KB, 800x528
>>337518972
If I remember right ,around this time people were begging for them to go back in time(golden age hero shit. I know this because I was one of these fags.fuckin 3 was such a piece of shit that I wanted to go back to olden times of chain mail and the hero's guild. If I had only knew that they were gonna make a unholy abomination like legends...
>>
The lore in Fable 1 was fucking orgasmic.
>>
So who married Lady Grey?
>>
Gotta say, this is a pretty great read with the Fable Trilogy OST on
>>
>>337520580
I did. I also

fugged her in Fable 2
>>
>And, despite it all, Molyneux still loves Fable.

>"When I finish what I'm working on now, if someone comes to me and asks, hey, do you want to do Fable 4, I'd totally be up for it," Molyneux says.

>"I would get Dene back. I would get Simon back. And I would remake this world. It's such a rich world and there are so many avenues we didn't explore. That would be really good fun to do.

>"And I'd still want the equivalent of another dog."
Would you want him back?
>>
>>337515715
>random "lol tiddies" picture
>this has gamergate written all over it.

what the fuck man
these people suffer from serious paranoid delusions
>>
>>337521268
No
He already had absolute creative freedom and we ended up with that stupid block clicking game Godus or whatever
He's going senile
>>
>>337521378
Don't you know that men only became interested in boobs after Gamergate?
Before that it was all about women's minds and their hobbies
>>
>>337521268
I honestly get really annoyed when faggots think pushing LGBT agendas and black main characters is heroic and ground breaking. He cna go fuck himself. Make Fable 4 without him and it will be much better.

He honestly didn't even do much for the game.
>>
File: Confrerie2.jpg (32 KB, 534x404) Image search: [Google]
Confrerie2.jpg
32 KB, 534x404
Who did you main v? Fuck Tyke.
>>
>"The other thing that happened is Microsoft thought, you know what, Kinect is a party game. It's about sports. It's about people sitting on the couch and playing together. It's not going to be about this emotional connection, this interactive experience which had never been seen before.

NONONONONO, says microsoft. WE WANT TO SELL CASUAL SHIT THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT, GET THAT PIONEER TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT FOR OUR MAIN GIMMICK OUT OF MY FACE.

Man, Microsoft really is the WWE of the gaming world.
>>
>>337521857
Except ,you know , Nintendo and Sony had the same mindset for their hand wiggling gimmicks.
>>
"I can't blame him in some ways," John McCormack says. "He's trying to sell a game. We're all living in a bubble making the game. He's out in the world seeing other games, looking at what the trends are and what the press and public are interested in. We don't get that. He comes out of that bubble and sees everything and goes, I know what's going to work while I'm here."

Yeah, but it doesn't matter when those said "trends" aren't added to the games or if adding said trends fuck up the game as a whole.

You can't be a corporate company and lie about the features in your game. People know you have the resources and the backlash will be huge.
>>
>>337522320

Sony was only copying Nintendo and Even then they used the move for other shit, like that magic book for the Harry Potter series.

And even nintendo at least took the time to improve the motion controllers with the wiimote plus and such.

Microsoft straight up ignored a game development that could be used to enhance the capabilities of the kinect for future games.
>>
>>337522443
>You can't be a corporate company and lie about the features in your game
lmao
>>
>>337522943

Sorry, the proper term should be "mustn't" because that most likley will lead to lower sales and fan backlash in the future.
>>
>>337493959
keep telling yourself that xdrones. Is dead, just like your console.
>>
File: 1456982636469s.jpg (5 KB, 122x125) Image search: [Google]
1456982636469s.jpg
5 KB, 122x125
>>337490019

Am I the only one who absolutely LOVED The Movies and had tons of movies uploaded on that site? Some took months to make.
>>
>>337493959
>Lionhead and Molyneux were both some of the most important figures in gaming in the 90s and early 2000s

I turn 30 in two weeks and can confirm that you're full of shit here
>>
>>337525049
Was the site as dead as the article said?
>>
>direct link to click bait article on front page of /v/ for 6+ hours
>paid shills keep it front page and repeatedly reply to it
>>
>>337525049
I really liked the tycoon gameplay. Never bothered much with the movies themselves.

Easily the best, most polished Lionhead game, even if it isn't saying much.
>>
>>337525540

Not really, it was a bustling little community.
>>
File: 1462749495812.jpg (170 KB, 1024x939) Image search: [Google]
1462749495812.jpg
170 KB, 1024x939
>>337525767
>One news article that actually has research and looks like real journalism for once about a dead dev.
>SHILLS SHILLS

OP should have posted a pastebin, though.
>>
File: sean-penn.jpg (137 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
sean-penn.jpg
137 KB, 1200x800
>click bait article still on front page of /v/
>click bait article linked directly in first post
>shills constantly shilling the fuck out of the article and the website
>direct rules of the fucking front page of 4chan says no direct linking to anything
>>
They call me Boris the Spider, on account of my hairy legs.
>>
>>337495391
This is a sad read. He doesn't seem like a bad person, just a guy that doesn't know what he's doing.
>>
>>337527402
Its amazing he managed to make it this far
Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.