[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apologize
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 344x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 344x500
Apologize
>>
I hate this new apologize meme
>>
>>337463676

Say it
>>
>>337463604
I'm not gonna apologize.
You're still a shitty DOOM game.
But you're a better game than D44M.
Happy?
>>
>>337464081
It's way shittier than then the new Doom.
At least you get to fight against more than 2 enemies at a time, and can see what you're shooting at
>>
>>337464193
weak b8
>>
I was thinking a lot about 3 while playing new Doom.

What I really appreciate about the new one is that it doesn't waste its time trying to he an ineffective horror game.

And instead of adding a flashlight, they just made the environments bright and colorful.

Also, I dont know if there were any weapons in 3 that I truly enjoyed using, they all sounded like shit and underperformed.

Yeah, dunno if I owe it an apology. I liked it a lot and it holds up well, but it had a lot of questionable design choices that I'm thankful to not see in the new one.
>>
>>337463604
Not gonna apologize just because the new Doom is shittier.
>>
I always loved doom 3 and think it's better than half life 2

Fight me nerds
>>
File: 1379989701235.jpg (33 KB, 848x900) Image search: [Google]
1379989701235.jpg
33 KB, 848x900
>>337464081
>(Last Game) was bad, but at least it's better than (Current Game).

I want this meme to die.
>>
>>337464240

He's right
>>
>>337464525
What kind of fucking meme? Since when is stating a fact "a meme"?
Doom 3 and D44M are both shitty games.
It just so happens Doom 3 is the less shitty of the two.
I still don't like either of them.
>>
>>337464449
They're both slow and fucking boring with way too much story.

Seriously, what the fuck happened to shooters after the 90's?
>>
>>337464795
>Seriously, what the fuck happened to shooters after the 90's?
Doom 4 is the closest you'll ever get. There's actual secrets and level design
>>
>>337464651
There is a variation of that statement in every single thread involving a new entry in a long running series. The Zelda Cycle is alive and well.

>Since when is stating a fact "a meme"?
It's not a fact, it's your opinion.
>>
>>337464795
>doom 3
>way too much story
what
the game barely has cutscenes
>>
>>337465070

Id say its somewhere in between. It does take a pretty long while to spool up and let you do anything, and it does spend a substantial amount of time stopping you in place to watch some pretty mediocre cutscenes.

But it does also taper off pretty rapidly by the time you get to the enviro facilities.
>>
>>337464240
Uh, the new Doom is pretty much unquestionably better than Doom 3. That's not even up for debate.
>>
For what, they're good pham. I'm replaying both now before Doom 4

Doom 3 hate only separates the memers from the normal people
>>
>>337463604
Apology accepted Doom.

Glad to see you admit you were wrong.
>>
>>337464240
>telling the truth
>bait
>>
Is Doom 2016 a sequel to Doom 3?
>>
I loved Doom 3. The first PC i ever built was because my old toaster had a 32 mb video chip and i needed a dedicated 64 mb card, so i bought an amazing 128 mb AGP nvidia video card with a fucking fast as all fuck amd sempron 2600 something with 1.60 ghz, and mind blowing 756 mb of ram.
Man i loved that fucking PC.
I played the original WoW on it too. Ran like shit but playable at least.
>>
>>337465452
No, it's a reboot of the original Doom i think.
Doom 3 was a reboot already but it's story ends with Resurrection of Evil.
>>
>>337465452

I'm only 2 hours in, but it seems to be its own thing. More of a spiritual successor. Gameplay is a lot like oldschool Dooms with a lot of modern mechanics mixed in.

Doom 3 gets some pretty strong shoutouts everywhere you look, the environment design is basically the same but higher res and much better lit. But story wise there doesnt seem to be any continuity from previous games. You just wake up with the invasion already in full swing and immediately start blasting monsters. Pretty refreshing desu, I was expecting a windup sequence similar to 3's where it takes an impatient player 15 minutes to make the transition from walking sim to shooter.
>>
>>337465276
The actual story-based cutscenes that last longer than a minute end once you find that Asian dude in the old comms building, and after that, it's mostly just you reacting to new enemies, Betruger fucking shit up, or Swann and his bodyguard trying to stop things themselves. The meat of the story is told in logs, emails, and video discs, and stopping to read/listen/watch those is honestly more of a showstopper than what little cutscenes exist

At the same time, the backstory that IS there isn't horrible or anything, it's basically System Shock 2 lite, with the Mars facility slowly being corrupted, mechanical problems making things worse, human experimentation on low-level workers, and demons and shit spreading base-wide mental problems and possessing people

>>337465583
Doom 3 was what broke-in the 9800 Pro I got for Christmas, it and Half-Life 2 were unmatched for the longest time back then, so the next-gen grafix impact at the time is probably lost on people who played it late
>>
>>337466310
/v/ should have an ice cream social
>>
>>337464081
It's much worse than the new Doom
>>
Doom looks better than the retarded flash-light-simulator they called "Doom 3".
>>
doom 3 had pretty nice atmosphere.
>>
Doom 3 would have been good if it wasn't a horror game. At least Doom 3's multiplayer was much better than the new one.
>>
>>337463604
I cannot accept your apology, you are just too terrible of a game.
>>
>>337466310
>so the next-gen grafix impact at the time is probably lost on people who played it late
I know right? I remember being btfo by the shadow system of the game. I was like what the fuck, that spider has a shadow and every single one of his nasty foots had shadows too and everything was amazing
>>
ARE YOU FUCKING SORRY?
>>
>>337466381
It'd look like a gainer fetish meetup
>>
>>337466310
Isn't that e-mail a joke about one of the events which happened at id's studios?
>>
>>337463604
Doom 3 was the best doom. /v/ had shit taste.
>>
>>337466310

Tbqh the PDA system was pretty fucking good. It reminds me of Dead Space the way you can listen to audio logs while playing too.
>>
>>337466585
And also, Super Turkey Turbo Puncher
THREE
>>
>>337466778
That's why it needs to hapoen
>>
>>337466310

I didnt mind the cutscenes or audio logs, etc, actually. The story wasnt revolutionary but was competent enough that I did chew my way through all the optional stuff I came across.

The environmental storytelling was far and away the biggest thing 3 had going for it. The way every section of the facility had an apparent purpose and function made it a joy to explore. The exposed machinery operating away and filling the entire facility with thrumming noises and throwing shadow and light wverywhere made the place hell enough without all the... uh... hell.
>>
>>337466310

actually feeling kinda bad for the guys at the social comitee. sounds like they were trying as much as they could in the shithole that was mars.

I mean, who even skips pizza parties?
>>
>>337466827
I'd hope most of them are
>>
>>337466585

A lot of people are on 3's dick for its graphics but the sound design was even more revolutionary for its time, in my opinion.

It had tons and tons of ad-hoc sound effects that synced perfectly with animations, the stereo imaging was consistent for every little detail, and most importantly, the environmental sounds were saturated to hell and back with all sorts of position-dependent processing. Like if there was a giant machine chunking around and handling fuel cells or whatever the fuck, you could round a corner and not only have the sound dampened, but hear it reflect off the metal corridor as well. And the walls around you would subtly hum with sympathetic vibrations.

The fact that there was always some sort of convincing-as-fuck facility noise in your ears at all times really made it hard to separate yourself from the game's setting and gave the UAC base its own life and character.

It wasnt a perfect game by any stretch but holy shit did they nail the environment.
>>
>>337467563
The funny thing behind the sound is that it's probably the way it is because Creative patent-trolled Carmack over shadow rendering code that they somehow owned, so id had to license EAX effects in exchange for Creative not suing them

I'm just wondering why the fuck a sound card company developed and held patents for rendering shadows. Carmack probably wanted nothing to do with the company that killed A3D
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.