[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did they do that?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault (8).jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (8).jpg
12 KB, 480x360
Lets have a thread for questions regarding times in video games when you asked "how did the developers manage to implement that?"

I've always wondered how developers managed to implement endless staircases. I like to do 3d modeling but I simply can't figure out how devs go about this. Super Mario 64 probably has the most famous endless staircase.
>>
they probably just added a section in front of you every time you got to a certain point (deleting the section once you run past it)

basically how an escalator works, but you are deleting and creating small rooms
>>
>>337443740
or just moved the player back once they get up to a certain point
>>
>>337443886
I think making new staircases makes more sense since part of being "endless" is that you don't want any visual ques of the game repeating the staircase, which moving the player would most likely do.
>>
>>337443978
if you moved the player back the exact size of the precut room portion, you wouldnt notice. if mario was in the air to the right side of the stairs, he'd still be in the air to the right side.

and the wall textures would match up to the exact same location
>>
>>337443886
It was this, if you turn the camera around you can see it moving the player back. Also the black fog is noticably moving, too. (And it shows what's happening on the DS version's map, also.)
>>
I've always wondered about breast jiggle physics
>>
>>337444278
Inverse kinematics.
>>
Every time I play this game I get every possible star before I move on, so by the time I get to the second Bowser battle I already have 70 stars.

I'll never get to experience the endless staircases first-hand.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u69S-zYDJQc

Non static skyboxes always amazed me.
>>
>>337447042
Doesn't seem like that difficult of a thing to accomplish.

That aside, I wish more games were like American McGee's Alice.
>>
File: stairs.png (9 KB, 827x459) Image search: [Google]
stairs.png
9 KB, 827x459
>>337443389
Here's how it works.

Another fun fact: the reason the backwards long jump glitch you see in Mario 64 speedruns that lets you bypass the 70 star requirement works is because Mario moves at such a high speed that his hitbox never actually intersects the warp barrier. On the first frame he is in front of the warp barrier and on the next he is past it, and because the game doesn't interpolate between his two positions it never figures out he actually intersected it.

Same principle as that parallel universes video, except he only has to pass through a wafer-thin barrier instead of several identical copies of the level.
>>
>>337447801
I thought it was because the game checks if Mario is moving forward, so by going backwards, the game doesn't check if Mario is colliding.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.