[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: HLD.jpg (50 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
HLD.jpg
50 KB, 460x215
Is it any good?
>>
No.
>>
>>337439842
It's SJW propaganda bullshit
>>
>>337440374
no that's Life is Strange
>>
>>337439842
I liked it a lot. I knew I'd like it though, so who knows.
>>
File: 1457244301127.png (66 KB, 250x218) Image search: [Google]
1457244301127.png
66 KB, 250x218
>>337440374
sounds good to me
>>
It's ok.
>>
>>337440426
Life is strange didn't thank Anita Sarkeesian, Zoe Quinn and Phil Fish for their help like HLD did
>>
>>337440543
I have never heard of those people in the past 2 years and thanks to you and other's whining now I have so idk what you're trying to accomplish
>>
>>337439842
It is nice but kinda forgettable
>>
>>337440543
and HLD didn't have lesbians
>>
>>337440543

So what was in the game to indicate their involvement? Any loss of tits? Any references?
>>
>>337440543
there's a mask in Hotline Miami that references Phil Fish.

guess that makes that game SJW garbage too.
>>
>>337439842
it got decent animations, really pretty environments and good difficulity curve. The plot is shit though, had no idea what I was doing or why I was doing it through the entire game
>>
>>337439842
It's alright. It's a fun game with interesting gameplay/combat. Boss fights (especially near the end) get really fun and you git gud as you play more. The "story" is up to personal interpretation, so interpret it as you will. Personally, I think that is really cool. Trying to 100% the game is a combination of fun and frustrating.

However the game is rather short. There is no real challenge in the newgame+ other than cutting your health in half. Could have been a lot more difficult with more enemy types introduced or something. There even is an enemy that you never encounter normally unless you are deliberately trying to 100% everything. Needs more bosses and more areas. A lot of content from the kickstarter trailer was not in the final game, so that upset some people. The game aesthetically and the game's lore is really similar to Fez.

7/10 game. Good game, has flaws. Buy it if you want, but don't expect 10/10 masterpiece.
>>
>>337440543
>its in a list of people who donated to the game

I think you might have, you know, maybe jumped that gun a little bit.

>>337440767
I look forward to when videogames can tell silent stories. But this is not this time. The people just aren't ready.

>>337440634
Forgettable is an opinion.
>>
>>337440937
I really want to like the plot, since I love the method of "Show don't tell", but it only works when the plot is clear enough. I have no idea why I sought out those modules or monoliths, who the pink guy was and why I vision died every time I opened up four of the things
>>
>>337441119
the modules are power supplies. every time you retrieve one the lights dim in the room you're in and you can hear shit powering down.
the pink guy is just another drifter who's on the same quest as you.
>>
>>337441360
well now I know that atleast
>>
>>337441119

There isn't "show, don't tell" in this game.

They thought that by replacing words with pictures, it removes exposition and automatically makes the player more involved.

It doesn't. All replacing the words with pictures does is make it so that the pictures are exposition instead of words.

"Show, don't tell" means involving the player in events, actions, and scenarios that drive forward the plot. Ideally the player is supposed to be a trigger or an initiator for said events, and it works even better if the player's choice determines the type of event that occurs, regardless of outcome.

This game doesn't do that. All it has is exposition in the form of pictures instead of words. From the moment we wake up in town to the moment we descend to the final boss, there is no furthering the plot at all.

Not to say using pictures wasn't a solid choice, especially for such a small team. This DRASTICALLY cuts down on localization time and translation. But it sure isn't an innovative or immersing storytelling method.
>>
>>337439842
I'm not a graphics whore whatsoever, but 30fps really ruined the game for me. This is the first time ever I've consciously thought 'fuck, the default 30 fps is not good enough'

A twitchy fast paced action game NEEDS 60fps. Not only does it look smoother and help you perceive what's going on better (very important for the bullet hell esque enemies and bosses this game has) but also it makes the control smoother and more responsive.

I never thought I'd say that but 30fps is an absolute dealbreaker.
>>
>>337441936

Wanna know the best part about that?

They could easily have made 60fps an option. But they made a fucked up and rookie coding error near the beginning of development and never thought to change it.

They seriously fucking hard coded animations to frame data via actual numbers, not percentages. On top of this, they specifically changed it for Drifter so that his animations are based on frame percentages.

So just straight increasing fps to 60 would make Drifter move normally, but his grenades are fucked, and all enemies would be completely out of sync. It also has the hilarious side effect of making any of the spike traps 100% impassable.

So, when they said in their Kickstarter that "it would take months to make it run at 60 fps" what they actually meant is "we fucked up in the beginning and never corrected it, so now you get to suffer because we're lazy and not owning our mistake".
>>
>>337442316
holy shit, that's stupid
>>
I liked it. could be better in some areas, but it's decent
>>
File: 1460245074808.jpg (16 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1460245074808.jpg
16 KB, 250x250
>>337440543
>he's still going on about kickstarter backers
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.