[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are these games so coveted around here? They spend way too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 600full-shadow-hearts-cover.jpg (416 KB, 600x855) Image search: [Google]
600full-shadow-hearts-cover.jpg
416 KB, 600x855
Why are these games so coveted around here? They spend way too much fucking time on the plot and juggle around so many characters that the majority of them end up plastic.
>>
>>337439115
she's lady huh? who is the red head fucker?
>>
Shadow Hearts doesn't have that many characters, familio.
>>
>>337440723
Halley, Keith, Albert, Gepetto, Lucia, Kurando, Kato, Joachim (arguably), Zhuzhen (arguably), Alice/Karin (a stretch, but their development is almost entirely jammed into about four scenes).
>>
>>337441339
>counting all three games
May as well include Koudelka while you're at it, dumbass.
>>
>>337441432
Did you even play the games or read the list? I only counted Shadow Hearts and Covenant, because the third one is given a generally lukewarm response and Koudelka obviously does not have this issue.
>>
>>337441523
But the third one is the best. Probably the best turn based combat period.
>>
>>337441607
I hate the third one.
>>
>>337441607
You're in the minority, but if you like the gameplay, that's fine. You didn't dispel my argument, however.
>>
>>337441708
It's a stupid argument because you can't even keep track of 8 full characters.
Have you ever read an actual book in your entire life?
>>
>>337441847
NANI?
>>
>>337441339
That is aproximately the number of characters a reader can keep track of in a book. Maybe slightly more. Mystery authors frequently include slightly more characters than you can keep track of, so you don't remember every detail and can't guess who the killer is etc.

I have not played this game and this is just an observation.
>>
>>337441607

I don't remember it being much different from Covenant's battle system. I do remember hating the dress-sphere skill system that replaced the demon crests of Covenant.
>>
Legit question, how is shadow Hearts 3 from a jrpg perspective?
>>
>>337441847
Yes, I have, and you? How is a lack of development and fleshing out failing to keep track of characters? The vast majority of the cast was given a few introduction scenes and then relegated to having one or two generic lines in cutscenes if not discarded entirely.

>>337442026
There are more characters than the ones I listed, but they were handled decently or were mooks that aren't expected to be well done.
>>
>>337442173

It's the FFX-2 to Covenant's FF-X
>>
>>337441607
New World was copypasta of Covenant, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since Covenant is the best JRPG ever made. But the complete lack of innovation chafes, along with the lame plot.
>>
>>337442173

It's a total North American through Mexico down to South America and back romp, with most common or iconic cultures represented in some zany anime-jrpg-ified way.

Only a couple small parts of it feel as macabre and dramatic as the first two Shadow Hearts could get. It'd definitely like an inverse equation or something.

Gameplay is best in series, and graphics, overall presentation. But it feels like a glorified spin-off after the greatness that 2 felt like as a sequel to 1.
>>
>>337442523
Don't get me wrong, I liked the game, but why was it the best JRPG ever made? Disregarding the battle system, it had a shitty plastic "diverse" cast and introduced a plot twist that had plot holes galore.
>>
>>337442173
>>337442638

Sorry passing out as I type and realize you said from a jrpg perspective.

Um, very unusual and super wacky take on western trope stuff. The judgement ring mechanics are still unique I think.

Maybe Shadow Hearts was ultimately, half way between FF and SMT, in the early 1900's.
>>
Sacnoth/Azure was comprised of some former Squaresoft staff, IIRC.

Shadow Hearts 1 was like, your obviously cheaper, but arguably more interesting and alternative FF-X. Came out really close to eachother and SH1 was destined to nicheness immediately.

SH2 really built upon everything about the first game very well, and really balanced this weird mix of ridiculous horrific, occult, spiritual content. And among all it's tangling with tropes, felt different enough and could get serious feelsy when needed.

3 is a really fun game, even great in some ways, if you don't take it seriously.
>>
>>337442508
>>337442838
So best gameplay in the series with a terrible/weird story?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.