[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about this game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: Hotline_Miami_2_cover (1).jpg (226 KB, 470x640) Image search: [Google]
Hotline_Miami_2_cover (1).jpg
226 KB, 470x640
Can we talk about this game?
>>
can you repeat the question?
>>
Depends how many windows are in your house?
>>
>>337437640
I gotta take a grip first.
>>
You know what they say about these threads.
They don't last long.
>>
What the hell is it with the HLM2 spam these days? Are you guys having another sequel in the works?

Can we have any soundtrack hints?
>>
Eh. It was eh. More cutscenes but somehow a less coherent plot. Also, many levels had long sight lines that weren't fun to fight in. Fine game just clearly worse than the original.
>>
>>337443032
if the game had half the amount of windows it has now, then it would have been a much better game.
>>
really enjoyed it, deepest lore etc.

hardmode is bullshit with a controller though, can't aim for shit
>>
File: Trigger warning.jpg (433 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Trigger warning.jpg
433 KB, 1920x1080
>Bloodline starts playinng
>>
>>337443665
at least it's not that shitty zebra
>>
Waste of an amazing soundtrack.
>>
>>337443665
>just started the hard mode levels
>see this
what the fuck are you supposed to do here?
>>
>>337444040
you're a waste of amazing carbon
>>
Mouse kept bugging out on me, but I still finished it. Literally impossible on hardmode though.
>>
>>337444109
You fit in between the walls of the buildings.
>>
>>337444189
Aren't we all, man.
>>
NOW LOADING HOT LINE MIAMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFqasQ6sX7Y
>>
>>337444628
but how do you handle all those fatties with just one gun?

that's the only thing I can't wrap my brain around
>>
>>337445643
I saw a walk through and don't want to spoiler it for you.
I suck at these kind of games, so I just saw it because it was fun.
>>
>>337444109
>git gud
>>
Run is the best song.
>>
>>337447486
The Way Home is the worst song
>>
>>337437640
Do enemies still go fucking donkeyballs in doorways?

Did they ever add the level creator?
>>
>>337448046
Yes sometimes. Yes-ish but you have to opt into the beta.
>>337447981
I used to think this but the song is actually great outside of that annoying ass level. Listen to it while you do some cool shit IRL.
>>
File: 1426186376688.png (583 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1426186376688.png
583 KB, 1200x900
Rephrasing what I said in another thread yesterday:

The reason some people hate HM2 is because they wanted to play it the way they did the first game, which was to mindlessly Rambo your way through a level without putting much thought into it, often while equipped with Tony or some other mask that reduces your need to think about strategically using pickups. HM2's level design requires you to be a lot more careful, take note of enemies' placement and movement patterns and be able to use all tools at your disposal, from throwing weapons to melee finishers to gunplay to character-specific abilities.

It's the direct antithesis to your average player's playstyle in HM1, which is why players stuck in those old patterns will hate the sequel with a burning passion, while players who are ready to adapt to the new rules and change up their playstyle will appreciate it.
>>
>>337443032

>many levels had long sight lines that weren't fun to fight in

This was my main gripe and why I gave up playing. Who has time for that shit? It ened up feeling like it was mostly luck half the time.
>>
Any news on workshop?
>>
>>337448710
>while players who are ready to adapt to the new rules and change up their playstyle will appreciate it.

I've never heard such a bullshit attempt to explain away the bad taste of HM2 fans.

HM1: Let you play a level anyway you want
HM2: MELEE ONLY IS IMPOSSIBLE
>>
>>337449236
>hotline Miami 2: everyone is just slightly off screen and firing their gun at you edition
>>
>>337448710
This. The game even mocks the fans of the first game with the characters of "the fans" who want everything to stay like it was, without actually understanding the bigger picture. This is literally MGS2.
>>
>>337449430
>The game even mocks the fans of the first game with the characters of "the fans" who want everything to stay like it was, without actually understanding the bigger picture

I actually didn't like the first game and wasn't what you'd call a "fan"

HM2 was just so bad it made me retroactively like the first game though.
>>
>>337448710
>movement patterns
if half the enemies didn't have random movement patterns, then this would be valid. sadly, the way many enemies move around in places you cannot predict 100% of the time is what renders the user's memory of the enemy layout almost pointless. At least some enemies will always be in certain areas with specific patterns, so you can kinda have an idea of what you can pull off SOMETIMES.

It forces a player to be more careful in a regular playthrough, but this makes getting higher ranks a real pain in the ass, especially if you're trying to S rank every level.

Besides, playing as characters who are, for the most part, weaker than the character from the first game is rather off putting, no matter how you look at it. Why make a character so well rounded if you're gonna take a lot of that away for the next game? Fuck adapting, it's an annoyance to every player who played the first game. You can get used to it just fine, but you'll always keep telling yourself, "Man, I sure would love to be playing as Jacket right now, even without a special mask on."
>>
>>337449430
>The game even mocks the fans of the first game with the characters of "the fans" who want everything to stay like it was
This statement doesn't make any logical sense. How could they put something in the game that mirrors the complaints of the fans of HM1 before HM2 was even released? What were the fans doing that needed to be "mocked" before HM2 was released?
>>
>>337449236
How can you say it's bullshit when you two lines below prove that you don't like having to adapt to the new playstyle the game requires?

I'm not even arguing about whether the game is better or worse because of this shift (I personally enjoyed it because I thought HM1 lacked challenge, but at the same time it's a mistake on the developer's part to not try their best to cater to their core fans instead of alienating them), but you can't say the line of thought of
>player wants to play just like HM1 = likely to think HM2 is bad
>player is okay with not playing just like HM1 = likely to not think HM2 is bad
is bullshit.
>>
HM2 was a lot more about adapting to a character's playstyle and learning the levels to avoid getting surprised. It really felt like it was trying to take the player out of his comfort zone with characters like Beard or Evan. It's a really good game and i had tons of fun with it, even if hard mode is absolute bullshit.
Also someone explain the window meme to me. Where do you even get shot through a window so many times that it becomes an issue for you? Same for the off-screen enemies, you always can see them before they see you, except for the shooting squad on the boat i believe.
>>
>>337437640
Are there even unlockable secrets in 2? What is the reason to replay 2 when 1 is the more satisfying one?
>>
>>337451028
Hard Mode
>>
>>337450134
>How can you say it's bullshit when you two lines below prove that you don't like having to adapt to the new playstyle the game requires?
because the new playstyle the game requires is garbage. If I wanted to play a horde mode cover shooter I'd buy Gears of War, not Hotline Miami
>>
>>337437640
>No Pepe mask
Trash

Ash&Alex were fun to play with tho, and the final overdose sequence was actually fun, unlike 1's final boss
>>
>>337451149
>horde mode cover shooter
Just how fucking garbage at the game do you have to be to play that way?
>>
>>337451582
>just kill the guys who have perfect reflexes and can see you from off-screen with melee attacks
every time
>>
I liked most of the plot, characters and variety, but the ending was bullshit and some of the levels were really annoying. Certain flaws that were semi-forgivable in the first game (like inconsistent enemy AI) were exacerbated because of the level design.

Overall it was better in some ways and worse in others. Honestly I enjoyed myself a bit more, I think because the variety kept things fresh.
>>
>>337437640
good soundtrack.
but HM1 is better.
kinda like an indie Bioshock 2.
>>
File: 1463054699445.jpg (680 KB, 700x1031) Image search: [Google]
1463054699445.jpg
680 KB, 700x1031
> hours I needed to 100% S rank and 100% achievements on hotline miami

> hours I needed to 100% S rank and 100% achievements on hotline miami 2: wrong number

And 100%ing the first game was an incredibly dull experience, too. All levels play the same, you pick the same mask and use the same strategy. Actually forcing you to play diffirent characters was a great thing for S ranking in hm2 because it wasn't so dull, you actually had to master diffirent skills.

Overall I would say that hotline miami was aimed at casual players, who blast through it and forget it. Hotline miami 2 was aimed at completionists. None is better, but it sure as hell explains why at launch so many people were disappointed, the first week audience isn't their target audience.
>>
>>337451690
Use guns when they're far away and melee when they're close. It's not rocket science anon.
>>
>>337448710
>actually defending the level design
I mean, I sorta liked 2, enough to go through the hell that is hard mode and try to A+ everything, but there is no excuse for how some of the levels are designed. I loved all of the Richter levels, except for the one that starts out with the long window hallway with a gunman behind it, but every single hawaii level past the first one gave me ulcers
>>
>>337442632
These threads are made like once every two weeks ya dangus.

Anyways bump because I love both games.

Hm2 > Hm1. Fite meh.
>>
>>337452542
you needed 15 hours to get ranks that don't exist in Hotline Miami 1?
>>
>>337444109
The best way is to make sure at least one gun has full ammo. Then it's easy as hell.
>>
>>337452853
calm your tits mate it's been almost 4 years
>>
>>337438513
You're not the boss of me now.
>>
>>337437640
GOAT game desu senpai, easily GOTY 2015

2 >>> 1 also
>>
>>337453443
> Hm2 didn't get a SINGLE sign of recognition from /v/ for 2015 GOTY
Feels bad man
>>
How do I git gud and S rank?
>>
>>337450619
In hard mode version of breakout and dead ahead, you spawn into the vision of window enemies as soon as you enter a room
>>
>>337451028
There may be some small things you missed like I did, like being able to transform the writer into a killer and how some things Richter said that didn't make sense before do in a second play through.
>>
>>337443665
This part stopped me in my tracks. I never beat hard mode.
>>
>>337455343
*Richard
>>
>>337447981
no
>>
I don't know, can we?
>>
>>337443665
Beating this was ridiculously satisfying
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.