[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Tons of party members you don't even know what to do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12
File: Chronocrossbox.jpg (116 KB, 256x244) Image search: [Google]
Chronocrossbox.jpg
116 KB, 256x244
>Tons of party members you don't even know what to do with
>Majority of them get little to no character development
>Can fuck up the recruiting process and never get that character you wanted

I didn't know this game required a guide.
>>
I couldn't be bothered continuing to play this game after four hours in. It's not fun, interesting or enjoyable and the battle system is really half baked.

What a shitty sequel to Chrono Trigger. I'm surprised that this game has fans at all.
>>
Yes, the game is pretty bad. Anybody who likes this also probably likes Final Fantasy 8.
>>
>>337432719
>What a shitty sequel to Chrono Trigger.
/thread
>>
>>337432719
You're in the minority.

Cross is a far more expansive and engrossing experience than Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>337433020
I can agree, but I can't help be think Cross is trying to pull a Xenogears with it's level of story telling and pushing the boundaries that go WAY beyond what's needed.
>>
File: Kid.(Chrono.Cross).full.562517.jpg (114 KB, 573x584) Image search: [Google]
Kid.(Chrono.Cross).full.562517.jpg
114 KB, 573x584
>>337433336
I also have a feeling this game's message'll try to trump Trigger's in which Trigger was a light hearted, semi-serious shonen adventure and Cross is more DEEP and metaphorical, not every story has a happy ending kind of schtick.
>>
>>337432783
Chrono Cross is my favorite game, and FF8 is my second least favorite Final Fantasy.

I'm an FF9 fag. That probably makes sense to you.
>>
File: Final-Fantasy-IX-4.jpg (375 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Final-Fantasy-IX-4.jpg
375 KB, 1024x768
>>337434025
>I'm an FF9 fag.

Best fag.
>>
File: best girl.jpg (1021 KB, 733x1000) Image search: [Google]
best girl.jpg
1021 KB, 733x1000
Why is she so perfect?
>>
I too watch Vinesauce.
>>
File: tsumaru.png (694 KB, 989x609) Image search: [Google]
tsumaru.png
694 KB, 989x609
>want to use Pip because broest party member and super cute
>bugged to hell and a pain in the ass to use on actual hardware

Why.
>>
>>337432637
>I didn't know this game required a guide.
Why would it require a guide? Because you can't recruit all characters by yourself?
This isn't Suikoden, anon.
>>
>>337435485

Would my girth fit inside Pip?
>>
File: Chrono.Cross.full.428153.jpg (1 MB, 2109x2100) Image search: [Google]
Chrono.Cross.full.428153.jpg
1 MB, 2109x2100
>>337435328
I'm replaying it because of him, and to see if I can beat the Isle of the Damned since I could never beat the boss when I was younger

>>337435494
Well how the hell was I suppose to know recruiting Leena to the party requires telling Kid to get bent?
>>
>>337435494

you need a guide to know where to "trap" all the goodie level 5-7 spells.

they're expensive as shit during the times they are relevant and you definitely can't afford to get more than a few of them so you need to know what monsters at what point of the game casts trappable spells and what requirement (ie swamp trash mobs can actually earthquake if the field is 3x yellow, the blob water boss when at critical health casts a level 6 water aoe when hit by a fire spell, but it has to be super weak or else he dies, level 5 light element spell is cast by the sun statue but only during a rare phase).

etc etc

or you could just be a faggot and mindlessly auto attack for ages.
>>
>>337435681
Do not sexualize the Pip
>>
File: chrono_trigger_cross-1565476.jpg (453 KB, 3840x1200) Image search: [Google]
chrono_trigger_cross-1565476.jpg
453 KB, 3840x1200
>>337432783
I disagree with you on Chrono Cross, it's a good game but a poor sequel to Trigger.

Final Fantasy 8 flat out sucks, anyone who likes that shit needs to take off the nostalgia goggles and play better games i.e literally anything else even in the same series.
>>
>>337436728
I'd argue FF7 is worse than FF8, but neither is a great game.
>>
>>337436802

FF12 is ultimately the best FF
>>
>>337436802
I'd love to hear your arguments.
>>
>>337436831
FF12 is one of the most boring games I've ever played.
>>
>>337436975

I will destroy you nigger
>>
>>337436802
Everything FF7 did wrong FF8 does even worse, especially the gameplay.
>>
>>337436902
Most of the characters are very bland, the story is very congested for how simple it actually is, the pacing is abysmal, there's way too many forced side-quests and small chores, and the whole game just feels... strangely incomplete.

I don't think it's a terrible game, I just think it's -really- lacking and found myself kind of... bored the whole way through. Materia system is nice, though.

FF8 really isn't much better, but at least it feels like something's happening most of the time. Characters are more interesting, too. Obnoxious, not exactly likable... but at least they HAVE a personality. Except Squall and Rinoa. They had nothing.
>>
>>337436343
>Have to cast a specific elemental spell for the boss to cast a specific spell that you specifically need to trap in order to get it
Ok that's shitty. I can't recall, but is there an Scan spell in the game that can at LEAST show the enemies' stats?
>>
FF7 will always be king because of Barrett date
>>
>>337437383
>Most of the characters are very bland, the story is very congested for how simple it actually is, the pacing is abysmal, there's way too many forced side-quests and small chores, and the whole game just feels... strangely incomplete.

Literally all of that applies to FF8, which has new bullshit of its own i.e the magic replacing your normal equipment, level scaling and bar none the most hilariously awkward and one-sided romance in the entire franchise.

>Characters are more interesting, too. Obnoxious, not exactly likable... but at least they HAVE a personality.

Having a single quirk =/= interesting, unless you think DUDE TRAINS LMAO is compelling. I'll gladly take any of 7's cast over that shit.
>>
quick someone post mushroom man
>>
>Yasunori Mitsuda
>references to trigger in actual meaningful ways like the porre army and balthazar
>shit ton of characters which are so unique they have a fucking character model viewer built into the game so 11 year old /you/ can look up skirts.
The game was good, it wasn't for everyone but it was good.
>>
Can anyone recommend any RPGs that have a wide variety of party members and good character development?
>>
File: F6gzxFQ.png (16 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
F6gzxFQ.png
16 KB, 1024x768
The sad truth of this boys is none of the FF's or chronos were every that great, we were just kids...

The time has come boys, remove your nostalgia goggles and weep with me...
>>
>>337437707
Suikoden 2

>>337437710
That doesn't mean you can't still enjoy them.
>>
>>337432637
>Majority of them get little to no character development

Actually, most if not all of those optional party members had at least a bit of secret lore to them.
Now that I think about it that shit was insane. Its literally impossible to unlock every character event in that game without a guide.
>>
>>337437790
>Suikoden 2

Is the story tied to the first one?

Should I play it as well?
>>
>>337437868
No but you should play it anyway.
>>
>>337437790
I enjoy them but fuck its hard playing one you didn't play when it came out [/spoiler]except tactics
>>
>>337437383
>the pacing is abysmal
I've started to notice this after replaying FF7 again. During the escape from the Shinra building it went from
>Save Aerisththth then stop Shinra
to
>Sephiroth?! Rufus?! Cetra?!
All in one go. I understood it all, but after that entire segment I had to take a break.
>>
File: 12987561899.jpg (62 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
12987561899.jpg
62 KB, 960x720
>>337437579

Gonna have to agree with this.

FFVIII gets a lot of shit for it's main cast and rightfully so because they're so terrible and that's not even considering the main story.

Laguna & Friends are more interesting.
>>
Kinda related to this thread but is Chrono trigger worth a playthrough? I like RPGs but don't have enough time to spend on that shit, and I hear its pretty short.
>>
>>337438217
>Laguna & Friends are more interesting.

This, even though they made Laguna a bit too dumb and childish, like when he threatened to tickle his wounded comrades before hurling them off a cliff.
>>
>>337438285
>is Chrono trigger worth a playthrough?
If you enjoy the genre and 16 bits games, sure.
>>
File: whatever.jpg (62 KB, 460x720) Image search: [Google]
whatever.jpg
62 KB, 460x720
>>337438416
Word
>>
>>337438285
It's alright. A pretty standard yet fun RPG. The team tech skills are fucking cool, but you'll end up relying on them a lot since it's the only way to do any damage.
>>
>>337438972
>it's the only way to do any damage
Until you get that katana with 70% crit chance.
>>
>>337432783
So you're saying I should play this game? Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>337438285
It's definitely worth a look and for most newbies it would take probably around 25 hours to beat the game.
>>
>>337438972
That artwork reminds of that cool fan game back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rnBRTEEfBw
>>
>>337439442
Did that game ever release? I remember it being cancelled or something? It's been a long time since I last kept up to date with it.
>>
I don't remember needing a guide for anything in that game but then again I am not a moron/trigger fanboy.

Despite the large cast every one of them had at least three scenes that developed them more than any of the trigger cast, sans frog/magus.
>>
>>337440378
Magus is quite possibly the most overrated JRPG character this side of Sephiroth.
>>
>>337440354
As far as I know the developers moved on and it was left unfinished a few years back.
Which is a shame because the game looks so much fun.
>>
What is beyond argument, however, is that Chrono Cross had an amazing soundtrack.

God bless the nips
>>
>>337440580
That's not Geno.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.