[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any mappers here that can help me with this? Is it possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: lighting.png (3 MB, 1920x3552) Image search: [Google]
lighting.png
3 MB, 1920x3552
Any mappers here that can help me with this?

Is it possible to get Quake II to compile with vrad.exe or hlrad.exe? Half-Life's lighting is simply higher quality, and given the one year and same father engine status of both, I figure its not too hard for vrad to be backwards compatible. How about it?
>>
Sure, I can help you. What's your Steam name?
>>
>>337403201

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xmonger

What's your steam, helpanon?
>>
>>337403602
I'm doxing you, buddy. Have fun!
>>
>>337403834

I don't think I've ever kek'd so hard
>>
>>337403834
>>
New Jersey, right?
>>
>>337404102
Yes, of course!
>>
>expecting people on /v/ to be helpful
Try /vg/.
>>
Oh, you used to play Hellzone Clan Half-Life 2 rp?

Quite the super admin you were.
>>
File: dox.png (25 KB, 209x225) Image search: [Google]
dox.png
25 KB, 209x225
>>337404376

mein negger

fuck off Zyntro
>>
x))
>>
I AM RONALDO
>>
use source sdk
>>
>>337404782
Source SDK wont help me use Goldsource compiling programs for the Quake II engine.
>>
File: 1428359932426.gif (2 MB, 330x166) Image search: [Google]
1428359932426.gif
2 MB, 330x166
>>337403602
>http://steamcommunity.com/id/xmonger
>Garry's Mod - 5,371 hrs on record
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>337404851
YOU'RE DUMB
>>
>>337404910
Fuck off, normie.
>>
MAN EATS POOP LIVE ON CAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM
>>
>>337405085
Link?
>>
>>337402429
you shouldn't be lighting with point lights, quake 2 is meant to be lit with surface lights from textures

i don't think there's any way for this to work, saying a year apart like it's nothing shows you don't realize how much engines changed per year back then. goldsrc is no longer quake engine, and was never quake 2 engine.
>>
I understand and use surface lights, this was merely a demonstration map. The problem still stands that Quake II lights cut off too short, necessitating very bright settings to be used.
Ambience is also relatively weak-- shadows need to be micromanaged more.
>>
>>337402429
.......so why didnt you do a point light of 350 value if 300 is too dim and 400 is too bright?
>>
>>337406561
Because Q2 300 is already brighter than HL 100.
>>
>>337406727
To elaborate, there's two variables at stake here
1. Radius
2. Intensity

To get the same radius in Q2 as in HL, the intensity goes up extremely higher

To get the same intensity, the radius goes down extremely lower.

The third factor is, as I mention, radiosity and light bouncing, but that's minor compared to the prior two.
>>
>>337406859
yes i know i was a mapper during the era and know exactly how this shit works. that's why i told you quake 2 uses surface lights. quake 2 isn't intended to be point lit.

half-life's light program is just more advanced, that's all there is to it. play through the quake 2 campaign and you'll see the same high intensity short falloff lights.
>>
The last game I made maps for was Marathon, where you just set the light value per poly.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.