[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question /v/ do you ever handicap yourself for the sake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: Mario_Kart_64.png (624 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Mario_Kart_64.png
624 KB, 1600x1200
Serious question /v/ do you ever handicap yourself for the sake of other people's (friend's) fun? Especially in couch based multiplayer games (which are pretty much dead since everyone hops on PSN/XBL/NN/Steam for the most part when it comes to multiplayer) I don't mean pulling your punches either. I'll give a few examples (most are fighting games).

My Ivy in SCII was tournament tier. I had a few other characters I was excellent at, but instead winning every match and never having to pass the controller, I'd always pick Inferno so everyone stood a better chance with the characters they were good/decent at against me.
I always picked random in SF3:3S, that way my friends could stand a chance (My Ryu, despite his tier being shit, was untouchable by the circle of friends I had back then). Always picked Random in Melee (except against one friend that was a peach and fox whore), Tekken and Bloody Roar.

If we were playing Mario Kart 64, I'd always pick Mario or Luigi, even though Bowser and Wario were my mains. I did something similar in Double Dash and Wii.

I'd still play these games to win, but I had no interest in getting good with characters that were not my main.

None of these rules applied at arcades though, I put money in the machine and I'd be damned if someone was getting a free ride on my quarters.
>>
>I handicapped myself by picking the most balanced characters
what
>>
>>337379631
Well yes I could've just waveshined the fuck out of my friends in Melee but I picked dumb shit otherwise they don't have fun and just want to stop playing
>>
>>337379762
You didn't play battle mode or bump people off the road with heavy characters?
>>
/v/ doesn't even handicap themselves for the sake of their own fun. I have seen the following conversation on /v/ many times.

>/v/irgin A: [Game] is too easy. All you need to do is use [perfectly minmaxed build I spent weeks researching online/overpowered weapon/unintended exploit] and you just steamroll through everything.
>/v/irgin B: So use something else then faggot and the game will be harder and more enjoyable for you.
>/v/irgin A: lel what kind of retard would purposely handicap themselves just to make the game harder? Go play with your TV/monitor turned off you tryhard autist I bet the game would be really hard then.
>>
File: tumblr_lf95cvlHJW1qzxyfpo1_500.jpg (50 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lf95cvlHJW1qzxyfpo1_500.jpg
50 KB, 500x384
>>337379631
>handicap yourself
>I'd always pick Mario or Luigi
>>
>/v/
>playing games with friends

The only two kinds of people on /v/ are wannabe-normies who only play vidya because they are lonely and would dump vidya forever the moment they gained any amount of social acceptance, and power level hiders who are ashamed of liking vidya and keep it a secret from everyone at all costs, friends included.
>>
>>337382386
In MK64, picking anyone but Toad is a handicap.
>>
>>337382386
The lights and heavies are better than mediums right? Funny story, in most situations heavies accelerate faster that mediums.
>>
>>337379631
I don't have anything to handicap. I'm rather shit when competing with others.

That being said, the only case of handicapping I could possibly think of is using the boston basher and sydney sleeper in tf2. Everybody is kinda braindead in that game anyway.
>>
File: Ben_with_Smoothie.png (216 KB, 402x317) Image search: [Google]
Ben_with_Smoothie.png
216 KB, 402x317
My girlfriend and I play MK8 together all the time. I spend most of the races in second place and pick off enemies trying to pass her/block items coming at her. If she gets hit by a blue shell I drive straight into the blast, if she drives off an edge I drive off too, if she spins out or falls behind I just tap the gas until she has regained the lead. She sometimes questions why she can overtake the lead so easy, and I tell her that it's because she is a heavyweight and I'm a lightweight. I will win one maybe 2 races in a GP and always make sure she just barely wins in point total overall.

Doing all that extra work is actually WAY more challenging and interesting than just dominating ever race in first place, so no complaints here, and we both end up happy.
>>
>>337381650
>losing is fun
Finding ways to make the game easy is fun. Handicapping yourself in single player games is beyond retarded
>>
>>337384178
You're a shitter for actively trying to lose.
>>
>>337384359
Clearly the people making the complaints do not find easy games to be fun. They seem to think all games should be so hard that you must use the one perfect minmaxed build and exploit the fuck out of bugs and glitches in order to have any hope of beating it, and if it's not that hard it's the dev's fault for making it too easy.
>>
>>337384529
Let the wookie win.
>>
>>337379631
>do you ever handicap yourself for the sake of other people's (friend's) fun?
No and I don't have a reason to. Pretty much all of the friends I play games with are competitive and we all want to win or be the best, but at the same time, we don't get upset when we don't win 1st or whatever. We just say let's do it again and go back and forth.

Somewhat off topic, but whenever I have someone new that hasn't played many video games before, I start them off with fighting games, not because I'm going to steamroll their face in just because, but it generally the easiest thing for people to get accustomed to when learning video games. I've had better results from using that versus trying to get them to learn video games from first person shooters or racers. The biggest problem I would hear from them is that people with more experience would mess with them by killing them and stuff while they were trying to learn the game.
>>
File: played melee.jpg (268 KB, 986x1378) Image search: [Google]
played melee.jpg
268 KB, 986x1378
I'm a ranked player in Melee and PM, so when I play with friends who aren't HARDCORE I usually avoid spacies and play dumb shit like Falcon or Snake.
>>
>>337381650
this is the pokemon fandom as of gen 6
>reee experience all makes the game too easy
>but I won't turn it off
>>
File: ..gif (49 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
..gif
49 KB, 128x128
>>
>character I like is decent but not overpowered
>constant complaining and crying how unfair everything is
>have to use shittiest characters I don't even like or listen to endless bitching
I need new friends.
>>
>>337384359
that's all a higher difficulty setting is, handicapping yourself.
>>
>>337386736
Or Mario ever since the Super Guide was invented.

>What's the point of playing the levels myself when I can just kill myself 10 times and have the game play them for me? They should have never invented this bullshit.
>>
>>337379631
Obviously, it would take the fun out if I were to pick Suicune in Pokken, or my mains in DoA/Tekken/Calibur against people who don't own the games, so I'll normally go with characters I want to get better with like Helena, Miguel, and Hilde
>>
>>337386736
I figured they would want to get the story overwith as quickly and effortlessly as possible so they can start breeding their Smogon teams which could take years.
>>
>>337379631
>do you ever handicap yourself for the sake of other people's (friend's) fun?

Depends how cute she is.
>>
>>337386826
Are you and me secretly in the same friend group?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.