[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fable 4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 600x375
>It was in this context that a pitch for a Fable 4 game was rejected. John McCormack was the chief architect of the pitch. He wanted to switch to Unreal Engine 4 and move the series into the technological, industrial age, with tram cars and flying machines. "We wanted to hit the late Victorian proper far out Jules Verne shit," McCormack says.

>In the first Fable, Bowerstone was a small town. In Fable 2 it was a big town. In Fable 3 it was a city. In McCormack's Fable 4, Bowerstone was London, vast and dense. Jack the Ripper would run the streets, a Balverine in disguise.

>The game would lean heavily on British mythology. McCormack planned to take Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, give them a Fable twist and drop them in "this kind of weird fucked up London environment".

>"And that was going to be Fable 4, and it would be darker and grittier. And because it was R-rated it would have the prostitutes and the humour. I was like, man, this is going to be fucking brilliant, and everybody was really into it."

>Well, not everyone. The pitch was rejected because Lionhead had to switch to making games as a service.

>McCormack was incensed by the decision, and says it was one of the reasons he left the company in 2012. "It was like, you've reached your cap of players for RPG on Xbox and you need to find a way to double that, and you're not going to do it with RPG," he says. "I thought, yes we can.

>"I said, look, just give us four years, proper finance, give us the chance Mass Effect has, Skyrim has, the games at the time. They're getting four years and a lot of budget. Give us that, and we'll give you something that'll get you your players. Nah, you've had three shots and you've only tripled the money. It's not good enough. Fuck off. That's what I was annoyed about."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-12-lionhead-the-inside-story
Could it have been good /v/?
>>
>>337376661
>Lionhead
Not a fucking chance. They're the kings of awesome pitches that fail to deliver.
>>
Remember the hype for the original Fable?
>>
The first was disappointing but had the potential to be fixed with a sequel. Except every sequel got worse and worse. I wouldn't have played it.
>>
I would have. I wanted Fable Heroes. I loved that shit.

Fable 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, even with all of its problems with the combat and the taking away of armor.
>>
File: bugs.png (83 KB, 342x245) Image search: [Google]
bugs.png
83 KB, 342x245
>>337376961
>>
File: victoria-justice-teen-vogue.jpg (121 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
victoria-justice-teen-vogue.jpg
121 KB, 300x300
>Fable
>RPG
heh

Also nobody give a shit about Fable anymore.

> give us the chance Mass Effect has, Skyrim has, the games at the time. They're getting four years and a lot of budget. Give us that

KEK
>>
>>337376661
That's disappointing, while I actually sort of like Fable, the real sadness comes from the statements. That market shares and budgets constrain so much of what makes videogames videogames is just... I dunno, depressing. Makes me think that stuff like Hyper Light Zero, or little projects like that which do give me joy, are fewer and further apart.

I think they could do something with a good budget and four years, with a little reining in on Molyneaux. Treat em like fuckin Lucas. Give him a Spielberg, that sort of thing.
>>
>>337376661
>Jack the Ripper as a Balverine
>Lionhead Jekyll & Hyde
>R-rated with whores and sex

God the cream is filling my pants.
>>
>>337377426
>>337377608
These.
>>
File: really now.png (355 KB, 596x705) Image search: [Google]
really now.png
355 KB, 596x705
>>337377608
Why? Every game got continuously worse than it's predecessor.
>>
>>337377874
Well, I don't think so, I loved Fable III.
>>
>>337377874
Gee its almost like constraining budgets, forced release times and leaving an Idea Man in charge of a series ruined it, or at least detracted from parts of it.

Very similar to, I dunno, the prequels?
>>
>give us the chance Mass Effect has, Skyrim has

They've been given that chance 3 times before and failed to churn out anything more than one decent game and two absurdly mediocre ones. You don't get the VIP treatment if you haven't made a good game since fucking 2004.
>>
>>337377426
Yeah do just that and you get a Indie 4.
>>337377982
It was a complete mess and not even an RPG anymore.
>>
>it's a cool pitch

>by lionhead

It's like that kid who says he had the most super awesomest thing that could do anything
>>
>>337378037
This.
>>337378035
They had plenty of time for 1 and 2.
They fucked up. It's just not that big of a franchise of course it won't get a Mass Effect ot Skyrim budget.
>>
File: 1456132720202.jpg (103 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
1456132720202.jpg
103 KB, 675x900
>>337377874
>Every game got continuously worse than it's predecessor.
>Fable II worse than Fable (TLC)
Nigga please.
>>
>>337378528
It is.
>>
>>337378636
I would dispute this claim. Fable 1 holds a lot of nostalgia for me, but I enjoyed 2 more on release and I enjoy it more now.
>>
>>337378636
Do tell, how is it worse.
Save for the setting it was way better.
>>
>>337378528

The original Fable (or TLC) was clearly the best in the series.

Sorry you were under age and didn't play Fable in its glory days as an adult (which it was intended for, being rated M and all).
>>
>>337378723
Less spells, no Armour, the dog, only one save, you literally can't die, even less items and the combat was even easier than in 1.
>>
>>337376661
just more proof that microsoft needs to go i hate them so goddamn much and once they are out of vidya and ninendo is a third party for sony things will get better
>>
>>337378049
Well, I had a lot of fun with it.
>>
>>337379461
Okay.
>>
>>337379132
I don't believe any of that makes Fable 2 worse than Fable 1. The game is made from the perspective of having no armor (instead the clothing being all cosmetic), so not having it doesn't impact the player at all. The lack of spells is not entirely correct, since each spell has a target ability and an area ability, and I would very much say that the claim of "less items" is a flat lie.

Combat being easier is personal opinion, but I would say that, personally, the combat in every Fable game has been pathetically easy, even in 1. It's anecdotal, but this is purely personal preference that can't really be argued.
>>
>>337378723

I'll list all the bad things of 2 compared to the original being better in all areas;

Floaty movement, waaay more glitchy, awful magic system, worse leveling system, no mp, waaay easier, terrible story, no end boss fight, less immersive, stupid 3 heroes stealing your glory, blind seer was awful and never had good closure, towns were worse, traveling was worse, weapons were worse, no armor, no good looking gear, no memorable areas, no real sense of danger or adventure...

I could go on forever. 1 was great, 2 was a disappointment, 3 was an abomination and I'm glad the company is now dead.
>>
>>337379621
>I don't believe any of that makes Fable 2 worse than Fable 1.
It makes it a worse RPG.
>>
>Game Informer article for Fable 1
Jesus the hype was real
>>
>Future

Fuck no, i hated how Fable 3 was Victorian
>>
Fuck you OP, i still remember the great deceivers lie;

YOUR DOG IS UNIQUE TO YOU!
>>
File: 1451333859899.jpg (36 KB, 639x781) Image search: [Google]
1451333859899.jpg
36 KB, 639x781
>>337376661
>amazing sounding fable pitch
>ignoring the last 3 times this happened
Molyneux may be a kekold but come on the brand was fucking dragged through the mud and shot point blank with 3.
>>
>>337380520
>You can abandom him any time you want to
>>
If Spencer was in charge he might have green lighted it

But it would have just turned out mediocre like 2,3 & Legends did, Lionhead lost what little talent they had years ago
>>
Peter is a great friend of mine. I really respect his work. Another friend of mine is Todd Howard. Who produced the classic Fallout 4. You guys hype for the next DLC? I know i am.
>>
File: terrorist spotted.jpg (35 KB, 501x480) Image search: [Google]
terrorist spotted.jpg
35 KB, 501x480
>>337379129
>Sorry you were under age and didn't play Fable in its glory days as an adult (which it was intended for, being rated M and all).
>This guy
I got Fable when I bought my Xbox. It introduced me to RPG's.
Fable II is way more fun then Fable 1, even though it has my nostalgia value.

>>337379132
>Less spells
Only a handful less and all spells have two functions.
>no Armour
Doesn't impact the game at all
>the dog
What about him?
>only one save
True that.
>you literally can't die
Like in Fable 1?
>even less items
lmao no
>the combat was even easier than in 1.
Like that was hard.

>>337379642
>Floaty movement
I agree with that.
>waaay more glitchy
I never really had any glitches personally but I know others have, so okay.
>awful magic system
Eh, it was fun. In a way. Shame about the ugly fucking lines you got though
>worse leveling system
It was easier, how was it worse? It was a cunt getting to higher levels, I agree, but if you focused on one playstyle instead of Jack-of-all-Trades it was a cakewalk

>no mp
True.

>waaay easier
Eh, not really. It was easier but Fable was easy enough
>terrible story
Subjective. Save for everything after Reaver's arc and the ending, it was decent enough.
>no end boss fight
Agreed.
>less immersive
Agreed.
>stupid 3 heroes stealing your glory
I disagree. You were still "The One" and they were only relevant in their arc, then they became pretty useless.
>blind seer was awful and never had good closure
What?
>towns were worse
Debatable.
>traveling was worse
In some ways.
>weapons were worse
How?
>no armor
No impact at all
>no good looking gear
Debatable. I disagree
>no memorable areas
What are Winter Cottage and Oakfield's Demon's Door.
>no real sense of danger or adventure...
I disagree. There was a sense of adventure, danger less so.

1 was overhyped but a good game, 2 expanded on 1 and it was still a fun game, post-2 never happened.
I just wish they brought back the whole lore of F1 and not instantly abandon it with 2.
>>
Peter is a horrible CEO.

Look at the shitshow Glodus became.
I mean Jesus christ.
>>
>>337381051
He's a literal "idea man". He has zero ability to make his ideas reality within a reasonable budget.
>>
File: Buy Fallout 4.png (2 MB, 1289x1827) Image search: [Google]
Buy Fallout 4.png
2 MB, 1289x1827
>>337380891
>>
>At a gaming convention for devs
>Some spokesman telling about how great Lionhead is
>Talks about in-house game jams and shows a game that came out of it and moved onto further development
https://vimeo.com/112379040
>Despite looking like a company manufactured indie game, it's more interesting and original looking than anything that Lionhead has done in ten years
>Bulk of the audience seems to be into it, tweeting about it and shit
>Later in the Q&A one person asks what happened with the game
>Spokesman says it's cancelled and that next time the audience should be more vocal about liking these projects so that they don't get canned
>The game was only ever announced on the company's message boards
Lionhead was inept as fuck.
>>
>>337376661
>because it was R-rated it would have the prostitutes and the humour
But it already had prostitutes and humor without being R-rated
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.