[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you think of writing in video games? has it gotten better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 7234-photo.jpg (100 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
7234-photo.jpg
100 KB, 400x400
what do you think of writing in video games?
has it gotten better or worse over the years?

pic related, writer of uncharted and the last of us
>>
I was thinking of trying Uncharted 4
then I saw a stream
two guys joss whedoning it up, chatting like they're having a barbeque while putting their life at risk multiple times a minute while never running out of breath
The self-aware millenial "we know we're in a stupid work of fiction" writing style is so masturbatory and trite
>>
>>337371603
He is a hack . Amy Henning was better
>>
>>337371884
>I've never seen a James Bond or Indiana Jones movie

Talk about millennials
>>
>>337371884
>>337372656
Willing to bet you both are millenials
>>
>>337371603
It's gotten significantly more pretentious thanks to the ones who desperately try to peddle vidya as an art form because they're insecure about having it as a hobby.

druckmann is a dumb pretentious hack btw
>>
>>337371603
Something something Anita Sarkeesian
>>
>>337371884
have you ever watched indiana jones
it was around before milennials and used the exact same writing quippy style

it's also what comic books as an entertainment medium have used for the longest time.
>>
>>337371603
Overall writing? Better, definitely. But I think the quality and originality of game plots has gone downhill, except for the occasional indie game, but those invariably have shit gameplay. AAA writers need to be given a bit more freedom I think.
>>
>>337371884
I too have watched that hack's review

https://youtu.be/12FMjfFJrG0
>>
>>337373109
>Given more freedom
Exactly what they need, but publishers play everything too same these days. Afraid to take risks
>>
I don't think there's that much a meta-narrative for progress or decline in video game writing because game writers for the few decades that video games have been a thing typically look to outside media, not prior video games, for creative inspiration. Now that might start to change, if it hasn't already, as we have people growing up on particular video games. I can see this in particular happening where admirers of old isometric games and other rpgs try to recreate something akin to those experiences storytelling-wise.
>>
>>337371603
So that'd explain why Uncharted 4 is SJW-pandering garbage.
>implying any western game is worth shit nowadays
>>
>>337371603
Worse. Making your game more cinematic doesn't improve your writing.
>>
>>337373109
>AAA writers need to be given a bit more freedom I think

The problem is that writing is the last thing done. Even in uncharted they think up the set pieces before they write the plot. Usually as a writer you are told to write something very specific like a bar fight tutorial or sports announcer dialogue. There's little room for input or creative freedom because of how the development cycle is structured, you can't just straight out "give them more freedom."
>>
>>337373446
Mostly agreed. Games nowadays put too much effort on being a film or other media, rather than expose the unique quality of video game. Too much video, too little game.

And I doubt the narrative of video game will go to anywhere in the future. Movie-like video games are like a trend now.
>>
>>337371603
Writing is important, but this guy is cancer.
His work is nothing but sitcom-tier.
>>
>>337373726
I would say this is a curse of current video game development style. Even there are seniors overseeing their parts, level design, programming, writing, etc. Even they try to put something in priority, they can hardly put it together right. And at the end of they day, even the level-design, AI or writing is particularly good, it may be replace by the other element and there will be no different.
>>
>>337372656
>>337373004
James Bond or Indiana Jones does it way better than this piece of trash, also comic books are creatively devoid pieces of garbage

>>337373285
never even seen it
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.