[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to learn gamemaker studio so I have been doing the built
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Trying to learn gamemaker studio so I have been doing the built in tutorials and watching youtube tutorials by some shaun spalding guy but I am just not retaining the information. I was doing tutorials for like 6 hours yesterday and like 2 hours today but 95% of the shit I did and watched I already forgot how to do. How do I retain information? I'm so forgetful I'll literally lose things that are in my hand or right next to me so its not solely a Gamemaker studio specific problem so idk if you guys can actually help.
>>
>>337349324
What are you trying to do? What do you mean by "retain information"?
>>
>>337349324
Don't just follow the tutorial, be like "okay I got that" and move on. Fuck around with your own ideas and refer back to the tutorial for parts you don't remember.
>>
>>337349324
Practice and repetition anon.
Repeat shit over and over again and you will remember it.
Not everyone remembers stuff after doing/learning it only once.
>>
>>337349491
I'm trying to learn GameMaker. By retain information I mean my stupid donkey brains forget everything really easily. How can I make my stupid donkey brain actually remember shit?
>>
>>337349324
Read a book or something, train your brain.
Reading books "trains" your brain
>Makes it easier to remember stuff
>>
just go back in your files to where you did the thing the last time and use it as a reference
eventually you'll learn
probably
>>
>>337349657
God damn it, get back to work, Charlie!
>>
>>337349657
Oh, I thought information as in variables or data or such. Well, don't try to memorise, try to understand. You don't memorise that 5 multiplied by two is ten, you udnerstand that 2*5 is just 5+5, which is 10.

Get an idea what you actually want to do, and start doing it. Whenever you encounter something you don't know, find help with it. Next time maybe you will be able to do it by yourself, since you have understanding of it.
>>
don't start off too big either. make small simple games (im talking pong like simple) until you get the hang of the software.
>>
>>337349324

Tutorials are good but you won't internalize most of it until you put it to practice.

After you learn enough substantial material, try to think of a fun project that might make use of it. Don't think too big, just something simple, and then try to build it yourself. As you solve problems along the way, you'll learn, and of course try to reuse as much stuff from the tutorials as possible, applying them to your own mini project.

Of course, the first projects will probably come out terrible, but it's an iterative process, just keep practicing and don't be too afraid of scratching these projects over and over.
>>
>>337349891
This guy is correct. The issue with tutorials for things like this is they often walk you through steps on how to make something simple but if you just watch and follow the steps without understanding the concepts (which, from what I've seen, many youtube tutorials leave out good explanations of) then you'll just reproduce what they made in the video without really knowing how you did it and how you could apply that knowledge to making something different.
>>
Repeating things is often the key to remembering them.
For example, when you go back to your learning, try to replicate the previous day's learning without following the guide. Use the videos only when stuck.

Within the first few videos you should easily have learned how to create room, a sprite, a background, an object, how to make the player's object move and ideally, how to make it jump and shoot bullets.

You should practice until you can do this in ten minutes or less. Ideally, it shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to set up a simple room with a player able to move in four directions.

Also, don't worry about programing. That can come later. Use the buttons to do things. Once you have that part memorized, then you can look at the coding. His videos tend to try to show you that coding is more powerful but not too complicated than the buttons.
>>
>>337349891
>>337350118
The only problem with this is that if you have no one tutoring you, or actively overlooking what you do, you might learn things wrong. Day you learn a way to store data of players, but then every function you do with it requires looking through all the arrays to find the correct one.

Maybe my example isn't the best, but always look up other ways of dealing with a problem, even if you have had a way of solving it. There could be better, faster methods, and you can even be making a "party foul".
>>
are you literally fucking 12?

> rushing on learning something quickly
>>
The thing with programming is that if you just copy how someone else does something, you never really solidify the method

What you should do is make a goal, and then research how to do that thing, but dont copy and paste the code try to understand how each line helps in your goal and how you could modify it
>>
>>337349324

write everything important down.

draw stupid pictures to indicate important information

if you so retarded that you still didn't get the drift yet, go buy a blank book or organizer and write shit inside there
>>
>>337349657

> don't rush the fuck up

what? just because the guy already has 100+ videos you should watch and learn one each a day? or even two?

learn what he had learnt in 5 years in a matter of days yourself?

get back to the built-in tuts, each one over again
do it over & over for a week each

make a new goal / objective from what you have learned

> first tut teaches you how to make things go up / down / left / right / diagonally

> now make a new project
> as exercises
> using only what you've learned
> practice it even more
> trying an have the fruits go in circles intead, some in zig-zag, or with AIs that tries to chase and hit you unless you dodge
> increase speed, intensity per level

tinker with options, based on the new set of skills you've learned

practice it for the whole week UNTIL you can do it in a heartbeat
> without ever trying to look back for the guides
> or even trying to recall from memory

do that for every session, there is no point trying to rush it

for each new session, once you've MASTERED IT
> you GO BACK to the old sessions and put that new knowledge into the old project, try to do it just from memory

the problem is in you, trying to rush it thinking you're smart OR by watching more videos faster you think you can learn faster
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.