[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is no Link. Link is not a character. Link is a vessel for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: Link_Defending_(Soulcalibur_II).png (2 MB, 1295x1923) Image search: [Google]
Link_Defending_(Soulcalibur_II).png
2 MB, 1295x1923
There is no Link. Link is not a character. Link is a vessel for the player. This is why the games are called Zelda.

The only reason you can't customize Link is because system limitations and tradition.
>>
>>337341874
That's the most retarded thing I've read today.
>>
>>337341940
I'm stunned there are people who think this isn't the case. Name one (1) argument against this.
>>
>>337341874
Prove it.
>>
Maybe you should stop trying so hard to sound intelligent. Tip: it never works with video games because they're fucking video games.
>>
File: 34564564567.jpg (32 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
34564564567.jpg
32 KB, 640x360
>>337342009
Have you not watched this?
>>
>>337342009
>>337342114
BTFO!
>>
>>337342047
In most Zelda games, specifically alttp and OoT, you never see anything that isn't happening directly in front of Link, through explanation or view.

Link never speaks on his own. Characters like Navi (and arguably every other character) speak directly to the player.

Link very rarely shows any emotion (except Windwaker which is, again, why normal people felt so disconnected to the character)

You get to name Link, and the game doesn't set "Link" as default. You don't get to name Mario or Samus, do you?

I could go on.

>>337342114
Not canon. Also possibly the reason it tanked, making a character out of someone with no personality in teh first place.
>>
>>337342337
He was his own in Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask.

He literally fucked over what "you" did in Ocarina to go after HIS friend, Navi.
>>
>>337342337
>directly in front of Link
>Link never
>Link very
>name Link
For a non-existing character, you sure talk about him a lot. Is your brain broken?
>>
Link has his own character, his own friends, and his own emotions (especially in the later games). These are things you can't change and are written into the script. That means you aren't playing as you, you're playing as Link. Nintendo just gives the player some freedom of choice in generally meaningless conversations.
>>
>>337342458
After the game? That just further proves my point.

>>337342534
Semantics because "your player character" or "the undead" sounds stupid. I take it you agree with me.

>>337342585
Name one interaction Link has with some HE knew but the player didn't past 5 minutes into any given game.
>>
>>337341874
Go back to the escapist forums, faggot.
>>
>>337342795
Just seeing if anyone had any argument against it. Since you don't I guess that means I'm right, though I always knew this.
>>
>>337342458
>He literally fucked over what "you" did in Ocarina to go after HIS friend, Navi.

You're misinterpreting the sequence of events of what happened prior to Majora.

Zelda sent Adult Link back to his childhood prior to the start of all the conflict, allowing Link to warn Zelda and do things the right way and let Ganon get imprisoned. The adult Link Timeline leads into Windwaker and the Child Link timeline after he's sent back leads into Twilight Princess.

Link goes after Navi sometime after that, so he never really undid anything.
>>
>>337342337
>teh
Kys my man.

What is your argument for every other silent protagonist, are they not characters?
>>
>>337342009
No proof. In addition, Zeldas' creators have never said or intimated any of this, making your theory headcanon and, thus, shit.
>>
>>337342337
Half of your arguments can be applied to literally every game.
Pretty much no Japanese protag speaks. And
> normal people felt so disconnected to the character
citation fucking needed.

I'm gonna assume you're not retarded, and this is just 1/10 bait.
>>
>>337342696
Saria.

Zelda in SS, they were literally in Love.
>>
>>337343053
Are they? Does Crono have a personality, a backstory or is he just there as a physical representation of the player?

>>337343180
This is actually my strongest argument - Zelda's creators specifically calls it a ROLE-PLAYING GAME.

>>337343203
They apply to games where the playable character is just a stand-in for the player, yes.

>>337343225
Both met within 5 minutes. They only exist to establish the setting.
>>
>>337342337
>Sat down because the Deku tree's monologue was too long and boring to stand through
>ran away from Darunia's hug without any player input
>blushed and fell off a treebranch when Ruto made a move
nah, OoT link was full of personality. You don't need dinnerplate eyes to show it.
>>
>>337342696
>citing generic genre cliches as proof of anything
Let me guess: Dante from DMC3, Snake from MGS, and Tidus from FFX are all generic self-inserts with no personality?
You can't see what's happening in front of them. They rarely interact with someone they've met before.
>>
There is no Samus. Samus is not a character. Samus is a vessel for the player. This is why the games are called Metroid.

There is no Red. Red is not a character. Red is a vessel for the player. This is why the games are called Pokemon.

There is no Master Chief. Master Chief is not a character. Master Chief is a vessel for the player. This is why the games are called Halo.

This is how retarded you sound OP
>>
>>337341874
>>337342009
>Name one argument against this

Mate..in your original post, you posted a picture of Link.
>>
>>337342903
Zelda never said Link should warn her of what happens in Ocarina.

Heck, you do not even see how he warned her, he made that choice on his own.
>>
OP confirmed for having some form of autism.
>>
>>337343323
So? There are tons of role-playing games (by Japanese standards at least) where the character has a personality.

See: literally every JRPG.

If you want specifics: FF4 onwards, Lufia/2, Lunar/2, Xenogears/saga, Wild Arms.

I could go on.
>>
>>337341874
Yeah, that's why he's called Link, he links the player and the game
>>
>>337343394
These characters constantly act on their own, talk on their own, have expansive backstories and relations. No comparison.

>>337343475
>Didn't play Super Metroid
>Red is a character
>Playing Halo

ayy
>>
>>337343323
>zelda
>rpg
You don't level up or have any stats, it's not an rpg but an action adventure game.
>>
>>337343486

>Zelda sent Adult Link back to his childhood prior to the start of all the conflict, allowing Link to warn Zelda and do things the right way and let Ganon get imprisoned

If I typed "Zelda told Link to warn her past self." I would've done so.
>>
>>337343323
Ocarina's ending and the interlap with Majora's is pretty much all the evidence needed to shut this bait down, to be honest.

Zelda never told Link he should warn her of what Ganondorf would do.
He made that choice on his own and has Ganondorf executed, and HE chose to leave Hyrule to look for Navi.
>>
>>337341874
Yes, and? Why should we care?
>>
>>337343560
>>337343632
Those are named because they have RPG systems. "They play like Dragon Quest" essentially while Zelda doesn't.

>>337343569
That's brilliant. Thank you.

>>337343665
Because it's amazing and I love it.
>>
>>337343574
I did play Super Metroid, Red is indeed a character and Halo can be fun at times.
>>
File: 1462329761652.png (39 KB, 159x163) Image search: [Google]
1462329761652.png
39 KB, 159x163
I don't understand. How is he not a character?
>>
>>337343391
This.
>>
>>337343661
>Unseen hypothesis of events between a game and another which may not be canon is proof

OK kid. Link is a Stalfos in a game made a decade later, I guess that means he had a personality in OoT.

>>337343752
Red is not a fucking character, he's the most obvious stand-in for the player in the history of vidya. In Super Metroid Samus has a lengthy narration so it's her to call her a non-character.
>>
>>337343953
Then who are you fighting at the end of silver and gold?
>>
>>337343574
>"Disagreeing with mean means you didn't play the game!"

>Red isn't a character

>"Your game suks lol"

OP confirmed retard.
Leave thread.
>>
>>337343569
>>337343715
Wrong, originally the the game involved traveling between two different time periods and the character was the "link" between the time periods.
>>
>>337343574
Link acts without your prompt all the time. Also he always has a backstory in every game, especially Ocarina of Time. It's usually not the most in-depth one, but it's there.
>>
>>337343391
Nothing unusual about that. He's not doing anything the player wouldn't. Hey, Link screams when he's hurt, that means he's a character.

>>337344016
The game's representation of the yourself in the last game.
>>
>>337343642
That means he did it on his own, retard.

Just like >>337343391
>>
>>337343953
He's not a Stalfos, he's a ghost.
>>
>>337341874
>Nihilism: The Post
>>
>>337344082
No he doesn't, it's just the circumstances behind his birth. Link doesn't do anything before the player takes control of him.
>>
>>337342236
why did wakka turn into a pencil
>>
File: 56456456456.png (115 KB, 1143x823) Image search: [Google]
56456456456.png
115 KB, 1143x823
I can go ahead and take care of all this "game's representation" shit right now.

>link
>white cis able-bodied sane male
>me
>black gay transgender disabled muslim schizophrenic woman

Link doesn't represent me at all in the game, therefore he must be a character because I feel oppressed as fuck.
>>
>>337343953
Link is the only character with knowledge of the future, literally no one exept him could have changed anything from Oarina to Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess.
It was also confirmed by Nintendo.
Source: Hyrule Historia.

Having him appear and do things that the player does not have input on instantly makes him a character.
>>
>>337344186
That's literally not true in OoT, TP, and SS, Minish Cap, or Link's Awakening.
>>
>>337344108
Read this.
>>337343391

And you, your hopes and dreams are send to the /trash/.
>>
>>337344301
That's the only reason why you can't accept the truth.

>>337344312
No, he's just doing regular things. Because he wouldn't exist otherwise. Name one game where you find out he traversed dungeons or slayed dragons.

>>337344389
Already shattered that argument. Keep up, fag.
>>
>>337344186
>I've never played Ocarina of Time
>I've never played Link's Awakening
>I've never played Zelda 2
>I've never played Oracle of Ages/Seasons
>I've never played Phantom Hourglass
Literally you right now.
>>
>>337342696

After the game, OoT Link dies, and his ghost teaches TP Link some new combat techniques. It's canon. Meaning OoT Link exists.
>>
>>337344559
>Shattered my argument

How? You literslly just insulted everyone who dissagred with you.

Also, i am not an homosexual, thank you.
>>
Since /v/ always resorts to retarded comparisons and semantics when they're wrong, I'll just declare that I'm right and quit wasting everyone's time. I was hoping to be proven wrong but clearly I'm not.
>>
Can I have one of those

> "Game is titled / named X"
> "there is no X" or " you do Z instead" meme?
>>
>>337341874
OP, how do you even define a character first off?
>>
>>337344601
Apparently, he married Maron as well since the king wouldn't have a random who marry Zelda, Ruto is a fish and a Saga, Saria is inmortal and a Sage, etc.

Maron makes sense since TP is a descendant of OoT Link and is a Farmer.
>>
>>337344108
>He's not doing anything the player wouldn't
if you didn't intend on smashing that fish pussy until Hyrule's water supply was 80% your own cum I don't think we played the same game. Link sure as shit wasn't representing me.
>>
>>337344685
Play Ocarina.

Then do this thread again.

Everyone makes mistakes, so i do not hate you even if you made this wrong assumption.
>>
>>337344559
Zelda 2: He literally just came from defeating Ganon.
Oracle of Ages/Seasons: He literally just came from adventuring, when the triforce was stolen during a party.
Phantom Hourglass: He literally just defeated Ganon when his boat crashed.
Link's Awakening: He literally just defeated Ganon when his boat crashed.

Stop being retarded now.
>>
>>337344879
>is a sage
are they sages because of pre-determined destiny or because they are the bravest/best people for the job at a point in time when sages are needed? If Ganon is killed/imprisoned early and the world doesn't need medallions for the hero of time, wouldn't they live normal lives?
>>
>>337344978
Dude.

Come on.
>>
>has a default name
>acts/expresses certain emotions in newer games (Skyward Sword, in particular)
>generally has some kind of background/history in each game from OoT onward
He's a weird kind of limbo character/a avatar, like Gordon Freeman. Actually, he's more expressive than Gordon Freeman these days.

You know how when you're driving a car, the car kinda becomes an extension of yourself? How you don't really think about the fact that you're sitting in a moving tin can moving a wheel and peddle around, and instead the car is sort of a part of you and you're moving as one? Link's kinda like that, at least when you're playing. The cutscenes kinda ruin that, though.

Honestly, Zelda needs to lay off on the story. The stories are always an afterthought, never well made, pad out the introduction with meaningless bullshit, and are only appreciated by the sorts of people who spent the last few decades arguing about timeline theories on GameFAQs until Nintendo up and trolled everyone with their imaginary "Link dies even though that is never actually shown as a timeline in the game we just made it up now" shit.

TL;DR don't think too hard about Zelda.
>>
>>337345052
No.

It's their destiny.

Saria literally tells you this.
>>
>>337344109
You know I'm not OP, right?
>>
>>337342337

wow what a faggot
> he's never played a Zelda game yet talks shit about how knowledgeable he is on the subject

> if you could name the character, it's a generic puppet with no backstory, no emotion

You can rename pretty much most of the main cast in the FF series
>>
>>337345330
CLOUD NEVER EXISTED.

DEEPEST FUCKING LORE.
>>
>>337344879
This he "married Malon headcanon" bullshit is really absurd. TP link works on a ranch, but it isn't his ranch. He's the only Hylian in the entire village, and it's not called Lon Lon Ranch. It's also completely in the wrong spot plus OoT Link's grave is in the castle graveyard, with no Malon in sight. It's like people think "well he's a ranch hand, I guess that's it" when there's literally only anecdotal evidence for this shit. Nintendo has said nothing on the matter so this speculation is retarded.
>>
>>337345323
I do know you are an idiot, tho.
>>
>>337345549
Still dealing with those reading comprehension issues?
>>
>>337345617
Are you still dealing with those autism social classes, anon?

I know it's hard, but you have to do it.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.