[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just got to the Eastern Town Center and all of a sudden my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: Vagrant_Story.jpg (32 KB, 350x376) Image search: [Google]
Vagrant_Story.jpg
32 KB, 350x376
I just got to the Eastern Town Center and all of a sudden my 1-h curved sword with 40 Human is doing literally 0-5 damage against the cross knights, what the fuck am i supposed to do now?
>>
>>337337812
>40 Human
Affinity is shit. Well, not really, but it's like 2-3 times less effective than damage type (cutting, blunt, piercing) or element.
The knights are really stupid, because they have random(?) resistances, or maybe it depends on what weapon they have equipped, I'm not sure.

Just scan every one of them and switch to the weapon with the right damage type.
I seriously hope you're not only carrying a single weapon with you.
>>
>>337338070
No, I have a bunch of different weapons for different enemy types which have been working for me all game until these knights, which seem to be weak to edged weapons hence why Im using the curved sword
>>
>>337338164
When I played through it I mainly used just three weapons: one edged, one blunt and one piercing. For affinity and element you have gems and enchantment spells.
The game may look like a third-person action adventure, but in truth, combat pace is closer to turn based games, because you spend literally half of the time in the menus swapping weapons and gems.
>>
File: 1456562611693.jpg (60 KB, 600x905) Image search: [Google]
1456562611693.jpg
60 KB, 600x905
>>337338321
right, i see

i've been running through the game with the mentality that affinity to enemy types was like detrimental or something and its been fine so far until these bastard nights

i guess i'll give scanning them all a try and see how it goes, thanks a bunch though
>>
Slightly offtopic, but fuck. Vagrant Story still impresses me to this day.
>>
>>337338814
Scanning is pretty unintuitive in this game.
You cast Analzye and then... nothing happens.
To actually see the enemy's stats you have to open YOUR stat screen, and then switch to the enemy character you scanned with L1/R1.
>>
>>337338929
I love the visuals, but the gameplay mechanics are pretty dumb and obtuse
>>
>>337338990
see thats the most annoying fucking part

once i got analyse i used it on the next boss i fought and then yeah, nothing at all happened

i didn't actually know you had to go into the stats screen until earlier today
>>
>Four King's Field games
>Five Souls games
>Squeenix can't be assed to make a sequel to the game that's better than every shitty thing FROMSOFT has done in the genre
Why do I continue living on this gay earth?
At least From has the sense to start making mech games again.
>>
>>337339138
yeah this bothers me

i really want another Vagrant Story game, its the most interesting Square IP imo and I adore the level design so much
>>
>>337339138
>>337339349
I've heard the director got in a fight with the studio execs over the game or something, so sequel never.
>>
File: VSR.jpg (228 KB, 800x1121) Image search: [Google]
VSR.jpg
228 KB, 800x1121
When I think of classic video game quotes, this one's fairly high up there.
>>
File: 215px-StreetFighterMoviePoster.jpg (21 KB, 215x322) Image search: [Google]
215px-StreetFighterMoviePoster.jpg
21 KB, 215x322
>>337339894
Sounds like a line from some 90s action flick.
>>
This thread reminded me, I still have yet to play this game.

Of course, it hasn't been released on Steam... Neither has Xenogears or FFT. I don't get Square Enix sometimes.
>>
File: VSchartWepn.jpg (793 KB, 2403x1719) Image search: [Google]
VSchartWepn.jpg
793 KB, 2403x1719
I'm just leaving this here
>>
>>337339894
>everyone shit their pants when they see how strong he is
>he becomes an immortal human grimoire on top of his insane melee abilities
Honesly i don't know how they would ever do a sequel unless it's set after hundreds of years when he was simply traveling around so his skills dulled out quite a bit.
>>
>>337340795
How does this work? You've got to use few weapons against one enemy? That shit seems tedious as fuck.
>>
>>337340795
I want to try this game again. I know that I would love it just like Tactics Ogre but this is some imposing shit.
>>
File: VSS.jpg (1 MB, 800x5048) Image search: [Google]
VSS.jpg
1 MB, 800x5048
>>337340629

I'd imagine it's not as simple as just "releasing" old games that never had PC versions on Steam.

>>337341131

All you really need to get through 95% of enemies just fine are three weapons to cover the three different attack types and all the creature affinities, then you just upgrade them whenever you happen to come across a combination that improves it rather than makes it worse. The remaining 5% that aren't weak to anything you have go down easily enough with a couple of buffs.

It's min-maxer's hell for sure but you don't even remotely need any kind of charts to do everything in the game, especially since elemental affinities can be switched on the fly with spells and gems.
>>
>>337341006
Most of those are just straight upgrades.
Scimitar has higher base damage than a Spatha, and Rapier is better than a Scimitar etc. Except in this particular case Rapier does piercing damage, not edged, like the rest of the sword class weapons.
And depending on which material the blade is made of, it gets bonus base damage, so damascus Spatha is gonna be stronger than, say, a bronze Short Sword. But mostly those are just upgrades.
And affinity and element can be grinded later.
>>
>>337337812
This game had some damn good dungeon crawling, but the combat is broken.

I played it for like 5 hours back in the day and no enemy ever got a chance to attack me... I just kept spamming my time stopping attacks... One of the worst combat systems ever. Did they do zero QA testing on it?
>>
>>337341006
I forgot to mention there's also weapon materials which have to be taken into account and armors have similar chart
>>
>>337341894
You probably never got any far in this game then.
Some enemies have artificial chain attack immunity and can't be just one shot with a combo, so you have to trade hits with them.
Although it's not like it makes the game any harder. It is a rather easy game, which doesn't make it a bad game somehow.
>>
>>337340965
In Ivalice there are no normal people, everyone eventually becomes some kind of badass RPG class.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.