[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If this game had come out today on Wii U (with Wii U graphics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: MetroidPrime.jpg (198 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
MetroidPrime.jpg
198 KB, 1600x1000
If this game had come out today on Wii U (with Wii U graphics but no other adjustments) instead of on Gamecube in 2002, would people shit on it for having gimmick visors on the right stick, no dual stick aiming, no multiplayer, and not being a 50 hour rpg?
>>
>>337285449
>would people shit on it for having gimmick visors on the right stick, no dual stick aiming,
People already complained about that on the gamecube
>>
>>337285449
You're making it hilariously obvious that youre an assblasted Star Fox fan.

Also no. Metroid Prime would still be a praised game regardless of whatever gimmicks you could probably throw onto it because the game is good at its core. You're too retarded to see the difference between Star Fox Zero Effort and an actual good game.
>>
>>337285801
Starfox took effort
They were just misguided effort that was wasted on bad ideas
>>
>>337285801
>good game
>tank controls
????????
>>
>>337286072
It really didn't. At all.

It was a step backwards from a game thats almost 20 years old. Only modern Nintendo could pull off something that fucking stupid.
>>
>>337286465
>Prime 1/2
>tank controls
love this meme
>>
>>337286472
MAking videogames take effort anon
They dont pop out of nowhere, even real shit games can take a lot of hard work
>>
>>337286465
I don't think you know what tank controls are.
>>
>>337286751
It's called "hyperbole" you autist, my god
>>
>>337286864
Its called being lazy with your posts.
>>
>>337285606
This, at least the dual analog part. I remember two of the three reviewers in EGM wishing for dual analog. They still gave it straight 10s.
>>
>>337285449
Are the visors really gimmicks? I thought they were super cool. Maybe they would be gimmicks if the only times you used them were situations where you were forced to do so, but there were lots of times where you could switch between visors to see things like enemies or objects even if it wasn't necessary.
>>
>>337287169
>has obvious flaw
>gets a 10
Disgusting.
>>
>>337285449
Yes, because dual stick aiming wasn't quite the absolute standard back in 2002, like it is today. Just a couple years earlier, people were shouting about what a horrible idea dual stick aiming was.
>>
>>337287169
>>337285606
>Halo came out in 2001
>critics were giving it off-marks for its choice of "left stick to strafe, right stick to turn"
>Metroid Prime comes out in 2002
>people giving it shit for orienting around hard-lock

Critics are so fickle.
>>
>>337287416
Not him but I couldn't stand a Metroid Prime with dual analog aiming. It would be too centered on shooting certain spots like in 3 instead of gathering info on the enemy's weakness and timing your diferent attacks. Besides locking on with L and strafing worked pretty well on small corridors.
>>
>No Metroid game on Wii U where the tablet is the visors

Literally all I wanted.
>>
people would definitely shit on it.
>>
>>337288075
Not sure if i'd want them to spend graphical powers on making two separate screens, Retro can make really good looking games and i want them to go as balls to the walls as possible on that regard
>>
>>337287932
The issue was that were wasn't even the option to choose between the default controls and dual stick.
>>
>3d metroid

fucking gross
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBTecFA6sb4

best credits music ever, or bestest?
>>
>>337288429
>Saying credits instead of title screen even though it's pretty much the same song
Smart way of avoiding Prime 2's title screen
>>
File: 1319298696894.jpg (44 KB, 400x216) Image search: [Google]
1319298696894.jpg
44 KB, 400x216
>>337288614
from 0:55 onwards it's different, son
>>
>>337286465
>prime
>tank controls
Kek. Look up "resident evil" underageb&.
>>
Is it bad if I want a horror Metroid game?
>>
>>337288875
No because your wishes have already been fulfilled. It's Fusion.
>>
>>337288875
Fusion's the closest you're gonna get
It's funny because they REALLY tried to make Other M like a horror game and it comes across as a fucking joke with shitty jump scares and walking and generic horror orchestra
>>
>>337288379
Literally all of the best metroid games have been 3D

admittedly all of the worst (Other M, Federation Force) are 3D too
>>
File: SA-X_Closeup.png (114 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
SA-X_Closeup.png
114 KB, 480x320
>>337288875
Nah. It'd be pretty cool and actually make the isolation matter for once.
>>
>>337289028
Fusion was pretty spooky, and is actually the only Metroid game I've 100%'d in under 4 hours.

I nearly shit myself, because I missed one item the first time and was at 3:45 or something, and had to figure out where the last item was and get there in time.

It was near the place where you find baby Metroids.
>>
>>337288875
Yes, Metroid are really comfy games all things considered and i don't want it ruined by being on my nerves after every corner i tak
>>
>>337289291
>what is fear of getting assraped by 100energy ice beam shots
>what is steady metallic sound of footsteps
>>
>>337289291
Not all Metroid games have to be the same. It could have plenty of comfy hub areas, but then spooky "dungeons"
>phazon mines
>>
>>337289482
Having and eerie atmosphere is not the same as being a horror game, i loved hanging out on the impact crater
>>
>>337289143
FF isn't even out yet. For all we know it could be good like Hunters was. Of course it could also be mediocre like Triforce Heroes was.

It's also not a metroid game but a spinoff.
>>
>>337289823
There's this seven minute video of gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHB6VDgU-Bk
>>
>>337287416
10/10 on any rating system doesn't mean that something is literally flawless. That's an impossible standard. It means sublime, not perfect.
>>
>>337288875
The Space Pirate Frigate scared the fucking piss out of me when I was 10 years old. I dropped the game for months.
>>
>>337290093
Are the controls like Prime? I thought they were doing the stylus aiming thing that Hunters and Kid Icarus did.
>>
>>337290403
Oh fuck. I just realised Frigate Orpheon's theme was actually sandy Maridia from Super
>>
File: 1443381043605.png (1 MB, 1679x944) Image search: [Google]
1443381043605.png
1 MB, 1679x944
>>337289823
>For all we know it could be good like Hunters was

>tfw wifi is dead
>tfw people bitched about the good controls
>tfw cheaters were rampant when wifi was still alive
>>
>>337291052
Hunters multiplayer was awesome shit. Sucks that NST has been reduced to making Mario vs DK
>>
>>337290746
I think they're like Prime, but I remember hearing about an option for the N3DS nub.
>>
If this game had come out today on the Wii U, it would have 3rd person mode on the TV and first person mode on the gamepad, and you'd have to give yourself an aneurysm looking back and forth between both
>>
File: Inventory_MZM.png (9 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Inventory_MZM.png
9 KB, 240x160
>>337288875
I'm not too familiar with the horror genre, but isn't a big part of it being pretty helpless?

I feel like Samus is in general too powerful for that, or usually ends up too powerful by the end of the games. Fusion touched on horror elements with the SA-X being invincible, but everything else in the game ranged from non-threat to okay challenge, and even the SA-X became simple to escape from with all the options you were given.

I don't think gathering upgrades to become more powerful and horror really mix all too well. You'd have to take away most of Samus' arsenal for most of the game to make it work.
>>
>>337292387
Or just press Select.
>>
File: magmoor without varia.webm (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
magmoor without varia.webm
3 MB, 320x240
>>337290403
I got pretty on edge when the lights went out in research lab hydra and you had to use the thermal visor to get out, phazon mines used to get me pretty bad too. The part with the thermal visor still gets me a bit actually which is why I usually sequence break early ice beam so I dont have to go through that shit as often.
>>
>>337292951
ABSOLUTE MADMAN
Is that from a speedrun?
>>
>>337288875
It depends.
They could use elements of horror games like the series has been doing through the years, but, in my eyes, the series should never lose focus of what makes playing a Metroid game such a unique experience: that feeling of being in a hostile and unknown environment. If they went full-horror they could end up putting Samus in a claustrophobic space station or something akin to Alien Isolation and that'd be a huge step back for a series that always present you with the discovery of esquisite environments that even have some beauty to them.
>>
File: ice beam before flaaghra.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
ice beam before flaaghra.webm
3 MB, 480x360
>>337293357
I dont actually know the source, though I would assume it's some kind of speedrun. That being said, speedruns haven't used a route like that in a long time, I dont know if they ever did, so if it, it's from a long time ago, which I guess explains the shitty quality. Now most speedruns follow the intended route up to morph ball bombs more or less, and then grab early ice beam and kill flaaghra and get the artifact, then go through magmoor the normal way.
>>
>>337292951
>Post your face when 1hp
>>
File: 1348096238147.jpg (2 MB, 3333x3333) Image search: [Google]
1348096238147.jpg
2 MB, 3333x3333
>>337292951
>Magmoor without Varia
there's actually a madman who did Quadraxis (one of the last bosses in Echoes), on the hardest difficulty, WITHOUT THE DARK SUIT
>>
>>337294036
I think I saw an MP speedrun that used that tactic (probably on AGDQ). I have nothing against it but it makes me kind of disappointed that that is the "intended route" nowadays. I love watching speedruns of my favorite games to somehow revisit them while appreciating the runner's skills, so I tend to prefer speed runs that follow the path that the regular users usually follow (something like that Dong Freeze speedrun from AGDQ).
That said, this type of speedrun from the second webm you posted is undeniably interesting since it explains how the game works (and I remember them mentioning the textures and how Retro was able to make such a good-looking game while re-using most of the textures).
>>
>>337292498
It doesn't have to be that kind of horror. It could be more Bloodborne horror where shit was very creepy, disturbing, and disgusting.
>>
>>337285449
If we had got another Prime game on the Wii U it wouldn't even be good. Tanabe took the series on a downhill spiral starting with Metroid Prime: Hunters. Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are the only good Prime games and Metroid fans can argue all they want but these to Prime games are the only ones that had any Metroid essence before it turned into a linear generic FPS starting with Hunters and continued with Prime 3. Looking at Federation Force I have no hope for Prime 4.
>>
File: boost guardian power bomb.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
boost guardian power bomb.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>337294291
Here's a guy doing it without the dark suit or energy tanks, though probably just on normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-nBM2QIaSo

>>337294747
I dont know about intended route, especially for a game as easy to sequence break in as Prime, or any metroid game for that matter, Echoes is actually even more broken, but you should be able to find plenty of tuns that don't go out of bounds, especially older runs, since speed demos archive originally didnt allow those runs for the first little bit, and there should still be some few being made. If you want the interest of seeing a game completely split wide open, check out the Echoes 6% run, it uses as few items as physically possible to complete the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH3K8mM-oFk

>>337294194
>guaranteed replies.webm
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.