[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't more games have height options on their character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: shit.jpg (122 KB, 637x358) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
122 KB, 637x358
Why don't more games have height options on their character creation?

Wouldn't it make open world games more interesting if every humanoid wasn't basically the same height? Is it a tech problem because there is a couple games with it
>>
Clipping and doorways I guess
>>
>>337268519
Don't forget weapons and armor not fitting

Or animations
>>
>>337268519
Most games you don't even go through doors, it just teleports you into the building.

You could make the doors big enough for the tallest option. make all doors that size or larger.
>>
>>337268719
>Most games you don't even go through doors, it just teleports you into the building.

Shitty Bethesda games aren't "most games", you twat.
>>
>>337268392
No height doesn't matter just like it doesn't in real life.
>>
>>337268696
Dragon's Dogma had generous height sliders and the animations and weapons were fine.
>>
File: 283888.png (365 KB, 488x554) Image search: [Google]
283888.png
365 KB, 488x554
>>337268823
actually Bethesda games are better than a lot in this regard.
>>
But then they'd have to program animations and armor for different body shapes and that's haaaaaaaaaaard
>>
>>337268889
Considering that tall/heavy pawns could actually lift players, I imagine the height range was something they went out of their way to code.
>>
>>337268830
I know you're trying to start a manlet argument but I genuinely agree with you and I'm 6'
>>
File: 729.gif (227 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
729.gif
227 KB, 600x600
>>337269901
>He's only 6'
>>
>>337268392
To not make manlets feel bad about themselves. When height is an option in games, it quickly becomes obvious how worse shorter men look, and everybody makes tall characters.
>>
>>337268823
I know it's beating a dead horse at this point, but man, I continue to be blown away by just how lazy Bethesda are. Oblivion came out a decade ago and they're still reusing the same shitty engine and the same shitty animations. What other developer would still be getting away with teleporting through doors and the way the game loads models? It's the most amateur crap.

>>337269274
The thing is, this wouldn't even be that hard, they'd just have to write a script that would alter the the animations slightly when the character is loaded. In fact, a lot of the stuff like that that seems like it would require hard work could be really easily solved with some basic programming knowledge that basically every other company already uses. Worst case scenario, they'd just have to look back over the generated content to touch it up or bug test it.

Either the programmers and artists are complete idiots who were reading out of their For Dummies book while making the game or they were required to do only the bare minimum of work and weren't allowed to use any original ideas whatsoever.

Or maybe Todd was so busy working the team to get things that would sound cool in interviews functioning in time to be in trailers that he didn't care about any of the details.
>>
File: giphy.gif (478 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
478 KB, 250x141
>>337268392
but all of sport games have it

>tfw creating a manlet in nba street 3
>>
>>337268392
dragons dogma has height and weight and both change the gameplay
>>
>>337268392

>Altmer are the fastest and the ones with the most reach

BIG
>>
>>337272767
If only more games could be like DD
>>
>>337270648
>I know it's beating a dead horse at this point, but man, I continue to be blown away by just how lazy Bethesda are. Oblivion came out a decade ago and they're still reusing the same shitty engine and the same shitty animations.

I don't think it is laziness. Every project has a finite number of man hours. Dedicating more time to one thing takes from another.

>What other developer would still be getting away with teleporting through doors and the way the game loads models? It's the most amateur crap.

They only get away with it because they do some really good world building where you'll be entertained for a while just by walking around looking at things.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.