[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>>337244289 Continuing thread about why WRPGs are shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 8
File: Idylls_of_the_King_3.jpg (199 KB, 800x1052) Image search: [Google]
Idylls_of_the_King_3.jpg
199 KB, 800x1052
>>337244289

Continuing thread about why WRPGs are shit

Dark Souls
>Invokes Arthurian style questing knights
>Sir Galahad etc
>Mixes it with Japanese and western beasts
>Stonehenge giants
>Magic is ancient and dark, it takes a personal toll. it often
doesn't come down to just fireballs and lasers
>everything basically feels ancient
>There's a lot of inspiration from the 1980s movie Excalibur.

WRPGs
>Muh Tolkien
>Instantly copies the DnD creatures, orcs, goblins, trolls, elves etc, doesn't even attempt to recreate them much
>creatures are cartoon characters instead of demons effectively (think WoW)
>for children
>story as shallow as a kiddie pool
>ez

I would say the Japs took British Arthurian legend and put their own unique spin on it. Anor Londo is basically a dead Camelot which is pretty cool.

Game of Thrones is basically a rip off of Arthurian fantasy. Except it's basically an edgey try hard version with zero actual depth. The plot plays out like a soap opera with each character's motives going as deep as revenge or power mongering. Everything revolves around cheering for your favorite character ala spanish TV novellas

People liked Skyrim because they identified with the Celtic/Nordic vibes (okay and dragons), no one else gave a shit about anything else beyond modding their houses to have a million slave girls with 9000x9000 HD texture maps with liquid sweat sprites that they could throat fuck.

Cue Vikings gets released, people love it. I actually don't mind it since there's some element of mysticism to it. Still pretty shitty edgey bullshit where it's basically spanish TV novella shit. Who dies this week? Will x look for approval from y? Blaah blah blah.

So yeh, what went wrong? Considering audiences now seem more open to fantasy where would you go next /v/?
>>
File: deed.jpg (25 KB, 399x265) Image search: [Google]
deed.jpg
25 KB, 399x265
The LOTR movies and WoW are to blame for shit tier wrpg world and art design.
>>
File: wheel of time cover.jpg (258 KB, 1024x752) Image search: [Google]
wheel of time cover.jpg
258 KB, 1024x752
>>337264253

There are no devs that can write a good story and capture the essence of a picture like this. Only CDPR and Obsidian to some extend manage to make quality RPGs with these qualities while other players like Bioware hamfist their own political agendas and all to their games instead of focusing on making great games.
>>
Right now, western fantasy is obsessed with realism, and less about the fantasy aspect and trying to copy GoT with mostly human drama.
>>
>>337265791
Both Bioware and CDPR make shitty interactive movies aimed ad casual console kiddies with garbage-tier actual gameplay that serves as distraction between cutscenes and dialogues and MUH ROMANCES that are the obvious focus points of their games.
>>
>>337265791
>Wheel of Time

That shit was what made me realize I prefer linear stories with a central main cast over dickloads of pov characters. It was like an epiphany when I suddenly couldn't contain the rage I felt over yet another fucking book where the protagonist doesn't even show his face. Holy shit I was mad. Actually, scratch that, I still am mad.
>>
>>337265791
>good story
>caring about good story
>in RPG's

Look at this neckbeard and laugh at him.

I'm waiting for the next great joke - turn based was technical limitation :^)
>>
File: real fantasy.jpg (217 KB, 1097x319) Image search: [Google]
real fantasy.jpg
217 KB, 1097x319
>>
>>337267441

>This
Yeh this is what I can't stand. I like fantasy because I want to get away from human drama, not watch back to back episodes of "what will x character do now?"

Even WoW after a WoTLK felt so focused on largely trite characters. The whole Panda expansion felt like their largely failed attempt at being creative in some way.
>>
File: turnbased.png (311 KB, 1066x688) Image search: [Google]
turnbased.png
311 KB, 1066x688
>>
File: party dragon.jpg (311 KB, 755x1049) Image search: [Google]
party dragon.jpg
311 KB, 755x1049
>>337268038

Wasn't specific about WoT, mostly just the atmosphere and feel you can sense from the picture. Grand adventure with a party. It's cliche and very few devs can make those cliches work.
>>
File: 177_pic.jpg (145 KB, 700x511) Image search: [Google]
177_pic.jpg
145 KB, 700x511
>>337268472
Nah, I got your point. It's just that WoT triggers me really fucking bad. Sorry about that.

And I'd take well executed cliches over forced subversion and deconstruction any day, so I agree with you completely. Originality is great, but taking a cliche and subverting it is anything but.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.