[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Start with the Greeks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1459224701741.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
1459224701741.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
So over there in /lit/ they have a saying "start with the Greeks" and basically that's what they tell anyone looking to get into philosophy.

What should we tell people that want to start looking into Video Games analytically? Do we start with the classics like Mario and all that? Do we start with what elevated video games as an art form in the minds of many (Shadow of the Colossus or maybe something else)?Should we tell them to read books on game design?

I'm interested in what you guys think on this subject.
>>
Tell them to stop browsing /v/ for starters
>>
>>337259732
Half Life
>>
Tell them to enjoy video games and don't go on /v/
>>
>Analytically

Anon, games where created as a way for people to distract themselves from whatever pained them at the time.

Going into vidya "analytically" its like trying to study thepolitical implicances of mashed potatoes. Or looking for ethics in games journalism
>>
>>337259732
>What should we tell people that want to start looking into Video Games analytically
This is stupid. Games have never even come close to touching the level of sophistication achieved by ancient greek philosophy.
Spec Ops: The Line is considered to have some of the best writing in games and its message boils down to "war is bad." Thanks Spec Ops, hadn't thought of that one before. Really made me think about the horrors of war.
The closest we've gotten is The Witness and it was a sub-par game with decent symbolism and themes.
>>
>>337260534
Films started out the same way too though. Should we not look at films analytically then?
>>
>>337260583
>>337260583
>Games have never been close to the Greeks
No shit man that's not what I'm saying. But I do think there's value in looking at video games analytically, if only to improve future games.
>>
>>337260637
20 years into the film industry they were turning out classics like Metropolis. What has gaming done that even touches that level in twice the time?

>>337260862
I see your point, and I repeat that the witness is an example of a game with deeply philosophical themes that aren't commonly found in video games, but as a game it's pretty disappointing.
So if you analyze is as a philosophical statement, better philosophers have already said more, and if you analyze it as a game, it's just mazes.

I do think video games have the advantage of placing you in control of a character, which increases your sympathy towards what they're going through. Journey is a game I would also suggest analyzing critically.

Still, most "gamers" are too dumb to look beneath the surface for deeper meaning in art/entertainment.
>>
>>337261570
I have not played the witness and I see what you're saying. Even in the games I thought that took advantage of the medium well and portrayed a good message, there's a philosopher out there that has written a book ten times more insightful.

>Film turned out classics
This is true, I have thoughts on this as well.

It could be that film was able to evolve quickly because of their close cousin theater, plenty of storytelling techniques transferred and they just had to work on taking advantage of the camera

It could also be that the time Film grew up in was simply more advantageous for art than the time games grew up in.

Or it could be, as you said, gamers are dumb
>>
>>337260534
The stupidest fucking post of all times
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.