[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is no consoles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
File: deluxe-faggotory.png (80 KB, 862x372) Image search: [Google]
deluxe-faggotory.png
80 KB, 862x372
Who is this Peter Moore faggot and why does he dreams of game streaming?

Is streaming the future of console gaming?
(in 20 years maybe)

> Download PlayStation App for your tv/display/vr headset/neurotransmitter-conector
> Set up account and subscriptions
> Buy game & play
>>
In a couple decades maybe, but not any time soon.
>>
>>337227620
>Is streaming the future of console gaming?
They are trying to make it the present in some cases right now, so probably.
>>
>>337227620

Current infrastructure can't support this kind of thing on a big enough scale. Only place where this could even be a thing in the near future is Korea but shit like that is easily 25 years down the road for US/EU.
>>
>>337227620
It's stupid that consoles even still exist by this point. A world where there are no consoles, and PC is the only option would be a wonderful world indeed, free from shitty business practices such as exclusivity, free from console war shitposting.

Unfortunately, it's not actually likely to ever happen.
>>
>>337227620

>>337227948
>Current infrastructure can't support this kind of thing on a big enough scale

This. Remember Microsoft's POWER OF THE CLOUD™?
>>
>streaming
>actually viable
shit like onlive was able to stream games at relatively acceptable framerates and responsiveness yet they still fell flat on their face because it didnt catch on, why would it in 20 years?
>>
Speed of light already means there's a minimum of like 100 ms latency between australia and the US, and that's at superoptimal conditions
>>
>>337228029
>free from shitty business practices such as exclusivity
>free from exclusivity
Denuvo would like a word with you.
>>
Hopefully I'll be dead before this happens
>>
>>337228256

Assume I have an American education and repeat that to me in a new way
>>
>predictions
>on 20 years
yeah right cause the people from 1996 were totally right about today
>>
inb4 tachyons
>>
Nah, there will be organic little controller-console hybrids that we plug into a hole in our back and it puts us into a simulation.
>>
>>337228478
SHOT DOWN YOUR THROAT LIKE A KEG OF BEER
CHOKE ON THE SMOKE WE IN AND EXHALE TILL THE WHOLE CHAMBER IS CLEAR
>>
File: sol.jpg (42 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
sol.jpg
42 KB, 512x512
I like consoles though, so even if none exist I'll make my own.

I'll design a shell for it, get it made, put a computer inside and hook it up to my TV. I'll give it a fictional name and company and history, then make custom covers for PC games and print them out to slide into plastic CD cases. Then I'll set up a fake website about my fake console and write reviews about fake ports of PC games on my fake console. Then I'll make up fake exclusives for my fake console, design covers for them and everything, and compare the fake ports to these nonexistent exclusives and call them superior.

You may think I'm crazy, but I love consoles so much I can't help myself.
>>
There exist modern cable companies that have fine speeds but shitty ping. Making this shit a nightmare. Lets be honest, the only people that think this is a cool idea are the same people that think video games are comparable to video.
>>
File: game-streaming.gif (15 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
game-streaming.gif
15 KB, 600x300
today I play... oh shit, not again
>>
I'm honestly more outraged at that faggot assuming I would ever play retardfield, I don't mind the concept of streaming games.
>>
>>337227620

you fucking dolts still can't see it do ya?

consoles might not exist anymore, but what of the very thing that renders and computes the very games streamed to your house / device?

> somewhere in the world there exists these superfuturistic building submerged under the ocean to contain the heat generated
> building is the size of a fucking moon
> literally super quantum computers inside, servers rendering, computing and hosting the games from around the globe

how is this fucking viable?

even a small data-center owned by Google the size of a small car needs to be submerged in the middle of the deep ocean to cool it down
>>
File: Best Pizza Topping.jpg (96 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
Best Pizza Topping.jpg
96 KB, 1080x1080
>>337227620
Subscription services drag more money in, and it's more cost efficient to design giant server rooms than to cut that hardware up into workable chunks that will only be powered on less than 10% of the time.

Streaming games will definitely be better for the companies, but we don't yet know if any benefits are there for consumers.
>>
>>337230726
Google doesn't have underwater data centers, but I see your point.
>>
File: ps4k-620x349.jpg (25 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
ps4k-620x349.jpg
25 KB, 620x349
>>337227620
>PS4K
No fucking shit, consoles stopped being consoles in the first place, of course they have no future.
>>
>>337230726
Would it cool down good if it were in space?
>>
>>337228751
>You may think I'm crazy

No you are just an insufferable faggot
>>
>>337230979
What? Fuck no it would melt without radiators the size of a city.
>>
>>337230867
> Buy Special edition box
> Includes map of game, keychain, toy doll and a streaming pass for the game

You don't own the game anymore and can't resell or trade it in.
>>
>>337230924

oh yeah it's Microsoft
>>
>>337231110
If it's the size of a moon, presumably similar to our own moon, then "radiators the size of a city" would make perfect sense. Maybe even be a bit small.
>>
>>337230867
One clear downside is that there is even greater control over what games you can play. If they want a game gone, what's stopping them? Want to play that old game? Not availble, never ever.

Going all streaming would be absolute cancer in this regard.
>>
File: Reee.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Reee.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
>>337231201
>Buying a special edition
>Buying a game
All of my vidya are gifts from people who don't realise how much I hate them.
>>
Tachyons, son
>>
CONSOLES BTFO
O
N
S
O
L
E
S
B
T
F
O
>>
>>337228295
Pirates don't deserve to play video games.
>>
>>337228029
Idiots would still exist without consoles. It would just become a component war.

>LOL nVidia > AMD
>Enjoy your house fire
>Enjoy your no drivers
>>
Yay?
>>
>>337227620
Greedy publishers want a future where they directly control the games you play, nobody should be surprised.

>"Why play Battlefield 6 Anon why the new, and better, Battlefield 7 is out? It's obviously better and has all new features, why would you play that silly old game?
>We'll just shut down the stream for Battlefield 6 here real quick..."
>>
>>337231281
That's a potential downside for the consumer, but servers didn't stop WoW fags from stealing that game like nostalrius.

That's only a downside if the company in charge is a pile of shit, in which case there likely wouldn't be a shortage of reasons why the service is fucked up.

And chances are the hardcore PC fans would still have home pcs, even if they're the size of a home in order to compete. The price would go up for consumer parts, but it will almost always still be a viable option. Inflation is a bitch, but it tends to work itself out.
>>
>>337228029
Instead of console exclusivity thr re will be market place exclusivity. There will be legit SteamOS vs OriginOS wars because one has the better UI. There will always be platform wars.
>>
>>337227620

the second some company can market a TV with built in processors, consoles won't need to exist.
>>
Of course it is.

Why do you think Sony bought that shitty game streaming company years ago? Why do you think Nintendo is investing on the multiservice idea? Why do you think MS tired to force the always online thing?

Consoles will end as we know it but not right now.
>>
>>337227710

10 years, tops.
>>
>>337230726

Streaming games won't be the way it's done. That EA guy is retarded.

It'll just be TVs that have computer parts built into them. You'll put disks or download games directly onto the harddrive of your TV.

It's only a matter of time before TVs are just computers with large screens. We have the tech to do it now, it just needs to be marketed correctly. once that happens, consoles won't exist.
>>
>>337231784
>That's a potential downside for the consumer, but servers didn't stop WoW fags from stealing that game like nostalrius.
And that got shut down by Blizzard. Not to mention that's one specific game people spent years hacking. There's no way every single game released nowadays would have enough manpower/interest to be hacked on that big of a scale, meaning they would be lost forever.

>That's only a downside if the company in charge is a pile of shit, in which case there likely wouldn't be a shortage of reasons why the service is fucked up.
So almost every single company out there? Just look at PSN, Xbox Live, and Steam and their constant fuckups. Why would you ever trust a billion dollar cooperation that only wants to exploit you?
>>
>>337227620
>THEY'LL BE NO CONSOLES IN THE FUTURE!!!
>THIS GEN WONT LAST!!
>THERE WONT EVEN BE A PS5!!
>WH-WHAT? WHY IS THE PS4 SELLING FASTER THAN THE PS2!!
>WHY ARE'T PEOPLE BUYING INTO THE CLOUD MEME?
>WHY DOESN'T EVERY SINGLE PERSON HAVE 300MB DOWNLOAD SPEEDS AND 100MB UPLOAD???

Cancer.

We've seen what cloud gaming can do. Nothing.
>>
>>337228029
If consoles are gone what makes you think they'll keep PC around? Google or something will just release an OS that streams a whole OS into the monitor. People will just need the internet, a screen and a dongle and get to use everything an average OS does except through THE POWER OF CLOUD.
>>
>>337231784
Games get altered or removed all the time. Sure I doubt traditional games would go away in that sense, but using streaming could seriously limit the available games, both new and old. Not only that, but imagine modding that shit. Not exactly very viable.

Streaming might have some application by not having to download many GB at once to start, but given the potential problems it's not really a future that should be welcomed if you ask me.
>>
File: Run Away.png (113 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Run Away.png
113 KB, 300x300
>>337232112
>So almost every single company out there?
Well yeah, but if they really want to fuck us they'll try and do it anyway. They're billion dollar corporations.
>>
>>337232253
And if nobody buys into their bullshit it'll fail. Sony's streaming service is doing badly, nobody wants to pay $7 a week for a streamed subscription of a game.
>>
>>337227620
Streaming games is unfeasible because our current technology is too high latency unless the server is unreasonably close to you. If they go with this retarded route then they would either need to install servers everywhere or give up on global sales and focus on specific places. Being forced to be always online just to play your games seems unreasonable too.
>>
>>337227620
if they control the game on manufacturer side, no torrents, no modding, no meddling, no ownership
>>
>>337227620
they can dictate whatever with Streaming. You have 0 control. They want to retire a game? It's gone. Etc. No piracy and used games either.
Also allows for bigger market, because you don't need a dedicated 400$ or more box.

I don't like the idea, even with the perfect connection to the server games still rely on shit like rollback. Streaming introduces input lag and it's the last thing games need.
>>
We already don't own our console discs, this is just the next step.

Honestly I'm thinking of bailing out of any legality completely and just retro collecting (you actually own these games) and pirating everything else.
>>
>>337232487
>no ownership
It's really just a capitalist tool for comparing dick sizes.

Would we need ownership in a world without people acting like cunts?
>>
>>337227620
lel, this is the same shit as those people pushing for "cloud computing" and "cloud storage"

A select few people and certain large companies have use for that shit. For everyone else it's just a scheme to rent out and license your own data back to yourself.

It's literally a cashgrab that can only hurt games quality wise. There are no gains, just profit at the expense of playability and design.
>>
>>337232137
this, also data caps fags already got BTFO with netflix and other streaming shit. It will take years until most countries have good enough internet to allow streaming of games.
>>
>>337228404
If there are no servers in Australia it will take that long to send data even at the speed of light
>>
>>337233115
> pay 5$ for "no-data-cap: Game Streaming"

problem solved.
>>
>>337231952
>countries getting fast enough speeds to allow proper game stream

It's cute you think that will happen
>>
>>337233665
They only need to stream the video (netflix) and the control signals. Latency depends on what games and where you live. The average gamer probably wouldn't notice the latency, especially at the console standard of 30fps.
>>
>>337227620
I cant wait until gameflix loses half of it's catalog overnight because of copyright disputes
>>
>>337227620
It's impossible because of ping and latention. Not to speak about fucking infrastructure everywhere...
>>
Honestly, the idea that you should have a shitty, plastic dedicated video game box that its software is incompatible with anything else is so outdated is actually insulting to modern tech.

Consoles in their current form are just a relic from the 80's. They have no reason to exist anymore.

Thankfully, they are becoming more and more like PC's so that might change eventually.
>>
i can't even stand the input lag from wireless controllers. its there no matter what faggots will tell you. cant imagine how bad and what they would try to mask it with for streaming.
>>
>>337228295
The exclusive way to play a game being to purchase it isn't exclusivity.
>>
>>337228751
I think this is pasta.

But it reminds me of what you idiots thought the Ouya was going to be.
>>
>>337238138
Once the US has a full infrastructure of gigabit internet this won't be a problem. You know most 3rd world countries have better internet than we do?
>>
>>337231620
But games wouldn't be stuck behind arbitrary, $300-$500 paywalls as an addition to the standard PC.

>>337231815
Steam and Origin don't cost money.

>>337232190
PC is an open platform.
>>
couldn't they stream the game itself instead of a video of the game with input lag and shit

the jews at the video game industry can stream commercials during the very very very long loading times
>>
>>337238365
Yea, Microsoft and Sony won't charge for their service. Promise guys.
>>
>>337238715
>implications
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.