[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good modern FPS's in which you play as both
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: call-of-duty4-mw21.jpg (201 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
call-of-duty4-mw21.jpg
201 KB, 800x500
Are there any good modern FPS's in which you play as both sides and neither is the "bad guy"?

I find it strange that war-themed FPS's are focused on western ideologies instead of acknowledging the fact that all wars are comprised of people who have very little stake in the matter at hand and are simply fighting to survive.
>>
>>337212748
You don't really see it because it's easier to tell a story from one side and have the player feel satisfied after they've played the game. I'm sure it could be done with a good enough story, but it would have to be a bittersweet or somber ending rather than the "america fuck yeah" endings that shooters go for.
>>
Call of Duty 1/2
Half Life/Opposing Force
>>
Do any RTS games follow this rule?
>>
>>337215296
SC2 and it's expansions.

>>337212748
Planetside 2 would be that type of shooter. It's like all factions are advertising for being the right one, while none of them are really innocent. But Planetside 2 isn't really story-driven and is just a constant manslaughter MMOFPS.
>>
>>337212748
Complex stories don't appeal to Americans. They want to be the heroes. The realities of war don't appeal to them.
>>
>>337217427

I don't understand. We ARE the heroes and the reality of war is that Europe cries and America saves the day.
>>
verdun
>>
>>337212748
Tf2
Just some old faggot brothers fighting over literal gravel pits
>>
File: 1368302524879.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1368302524879.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
>>337212748
Red Orchestra & Rising Storm games.

>>337215296
all of them? Red Alert's still my favorite.
>>
>>337212748
Black ops 2 has one moment where you play as a guy's high on weed who ran as fast as he could to save his sister from the evil american, then after that you play as a spec ops member who tried to hunt down the biggest local drug cartel.
>>337215296
Supcom 1
Total annihilation
>>
>>337219534
Isn't their a part where you kill Americans in blops 2?
>>
>>337221673
Yes, one more level where you play as a spy and you have to go through american troops, IIRC you can do a no-kill run, just destroy the drones, smoke/flashbang or shot them in the legs then run away.
>>
>>337213372
Call of Duty 2 only had you playing allies and russians.

OpFor wasn't showing both sides of the conflict, it was showing one small portion of the other side that never received the orders to become massive aholes. He would have started killing civilians at the drop of a hat if he'd got the order. In fact we see marines in that game detaining scientists instead of helping them. the HECU are definitely the bad guys.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.