[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about set pieces, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (320 KB, 1600x906) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
320 KB, 1600x906
How do you feel about set pieces, /v/?
>>
>>337133564
I unironically love them. I even buy COD just to play the campaign every year

Same with Battlefield.
>>
A temporary fix for our lack of research on the area of realtime interactions and physics meant to make the game look cool without needing the whole "creating an physics engine/camera system that can actually create situations that look as good as the setpieces".
>>
what game doesnt have set pieces?

just open world games?
>>
Dumb, especially when a game relies on them for all its thrills, and especially when a game gets 10/10s for pulling that shit.

Only cool one was the very start of Uncharted 2.
>>
File: 1446154198727.gif (457 KB, 180x166) Image search: [Google]
1446154198727.gif
457 KB, 180x166
>>337133564
Good
>setpieces with good gameplay that actually require some player action and thought

Bad
>Uncharted style setpieces where you hold down a single direction button while a bunch of crap explodes / collapses around you
>>
>>337133739
Me too

I enjoy cool set pieces that at least let me interact to a sufficient degree. Like, that one mission in Modern Warfare 3 where you are in the plane and it encounters turbulence, thrusting you of the ground letting you shoot the floating enemies.

Annoying set pieces are ones with vary little input beyond moving in a direction
>>
Depends on how interactive they are. I remember really liking Beyond Good and Evil's wacky explosive chase sequences, but some are fueled purely by running in a single direction multiple times.
>>
File: AAA Publisher.jpg (47 KB, 430x388) Image search: [Google]
AAA Publisher.jpg
47 KB, 430x388
They pay for themselves.
>>
they have their place in games like uncharted

2 was fucking great, 1 and 3 were alright

no ps4 so can't play 4

they have to be used judiciously, though

if shit's just exploding around you all the time it doesn't mean anything
>>
>good setpieces
Vanquish

>bad setpieces
Uncharted
>>
>>337136173
Kys.
>>
>>337137107
Kys.
>>
>>337137107
>>337137791
Kys.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.