[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never gotten around to playing this game. Or any of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: m64.jpg (14 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
m64.jpg
14 KB, 259x194
I've never gotten around to playing this game. Or any of the 3D marios really.

Is it still worth it after 20 years?
>>
Yes, absolutely.

Give it a go, if you have the option to do so.
>>
Sure.
>>
all of them are,even Sunshine
>>
>>337111663
I recommend playing the DS version of it though. It has the same levels, just more characters.
>>
play the ds version. n64 version aged pretty badly
>>
>>337111663
I've never gotten around to playing any mario besides SMB. What's the appeal? I never understood all that hype around.
>>
>>337112418
>>337112472
Ignore these retards. DS has shit controls, worse physics, worse textures, and most of the new content is mediocre.
>>
>>337111663
I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely dislike this game (played it on DS, but already had a similar experience emulating it on N64)
No fun at all for me. And I fucking love most 3D platformers. No idea why. The physics are unique and consistent, the challenge is present, but I feel no urge to keep playing. Give it a try at least, OP.
>>
Mario 64 was the best of the 3D Marios. Totally worth a play if you haven't done so before.
>>
Absolutely. Any version you can get your hands on.
>>
>>337111663
>Is it still worth it?
What does this mean with video games?
>>
>>337112791
Galaxy 2 is the best 3D Mario game
>>
>>337112571

the textures are a definite improvement. I like the camera angles / lighting / color saturation in the original though

looks pretty but it's an overall shittier version of the game, definitely
>>
Super Mario 64 is the best 2D to 3D transition in game history. OoT was clumsy, and Sonic's attempts (3D Blast, Adventure) always turned out a little weird and lacked polish. They were still fun, but they definitely weren't as good a jump to 3D as Mario 64 was.
>>
>>337113194
Metroid had the best
>>
>>337112528
they all seem to hit that sweet spot between difficulty and fun in a platformer so that anyone can enjoy them. you should try SM64, Sunshine, and/or Galaxy (1 or 2). they all just sort of "work"
>>
>>337113387
Shit, Metroid's transition WAS very good. But I think by merit of taking two fucking generations to get out there it sort of loses the honor. Metroid Prime came out in a period where there had already been a full generation of games that had transitioned to 3D. it had a lot to work with by that point.
>>
>>337113387
Metroid Prime is my favorite game in that series but it did lose some elements transitioning from 2D to 3D.

Mario was almost perfect in every way. Mario 64 was handled masterfully by Nintendo.
>>
>>337113194
>>337113387
What about Ninja Gaiden?
>>
>>337113387
took fucking years though
by that logic you could say Ninja Gaiden to
>>
>>337113564
Mario does get the honor of doing it so good so early I guess

>>337113603
I don't think 64 handled powerups perfectly like the 2D games. Galaxy perfected the 3D powerup
>>
Whereas I couldnt tolerate the controls at all for my reattempt at DK64, Mario 64 is just fine. Fun too.
>>
>>337113838
ALMOST perfect. The lack of variety in power ups was a disappointment. That wing cap though.
>>
File: 1458304409802.jpg (28 KB, 617x355) Image search: [Google]
1458304409802.jpg
28 KB, 617x355
>>337111663
Yes.
It's one of the best games ever made, and it is the only game apart from Quake which makes proper use of the third dimension.
>>
>>337111663
Super Mario 64 is fucking awful. Like all early 3D platformers, transitioned from 2D (Prince of Persia, Earthworm Jim etc.)
>>
>>337113603
>but it did lose some elements transitioning from 2D to 3D
Yeah, and so did SM64.
>small selection of levels
>multiple goals per level
>levels are open, designed sort of like playgrounds
>a hub world
>focus on exploration and nonlinearity
>some focus on collecting
>complex movement mechanics and physics
>health instead of just a couple hits
>power-ups timed and limited to certain sections
>series mainstays like koopas barely included, and work nothing like in the 2D games
None of this is anything like the 2D Mario games that came before in the slightest.
It's a VERY different game from its predecessors, and I don't understand how you could believe otherwise.
>>
>>337113056
The Galaxies, while being highly entertaining games, suffer greatly from having too linear levels and nothing in terms of actual exploration.
No, a hidden pipe to a green star does obviously not count as exploration.
>>
>>337111663
Depends OP....how well can you perform a half A press?
>>
>>337114480
>linear = bad
Stop.
>>
>>337114756
The most important factor for me in a 3D Mario game is exploration, so linear=bad for me (not necessarily for you).
>>
>>337114480
>suffer greatly from having too linear levels and nothing in terms of actual exploration.
>suffer greatly from having nothing in terms of actual exploration.
Why do they suffer that? They weren't supposed to be about exploration. You want exploration? Go back to playing Banjo-Tooie. I love the game, but it's a crowded fucking mess of exploration with all the interlocking levels. Super Mario Galaxy was not designed to be about exploration, so why would you begrudge it not being about it?

>>337114291
You're not wrong, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a well-polished and enjoyable transition regardless. The physics and gameplay were consistent throughout, and they brought new ideas to the table while still utilizing old ones. I think they just didn't know exactly how best to translate some of the older ideas to a new dimension. It wasn't perfect, but by comparison to its contemporaries, it was easily the best transition.
>>
File: nintendosupermarioe35.jpg (58 KB, 646x386) Image search: [Google]
nintendosupermarioe35.jpg
58 KB, 646x386
>>337112791 >>337113194 >>337113603 >>337114194

OP here. Intrigued by a few comments here. Will definitely check out Mario 64 fully after reading these.

I've got a 3DS and a WiiU. Should I get the game on virtual console, or the DS version?

To add a nickel, one of the reasons I never got into the 3D marios (I always lose energy in M64 after the first two levels) was because I got the impression they were too experimental and were leaving behind the old style of gameplay. One of the reasons I really liked the New 3D land games was because they brought the old style gameplay into 3D. But maybe I didn't give the 64 series enough of a chance.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the contrasts between Mario 64 and the 3D Land and World. Are they very different kinds of Mario game?
>>
>>337115119
>so why would you begrudge it not being about it
Since it was a central factor in the previous entries, i.e. the entries that got me interested in and attached to the series.
>>
>>337115220
64 and Sunshine are the only ones that are really experimental. The reason was because with early 3D, it was too difficult to create lots of levels, so the team decided to make only a few levels and use multiple objectives to get the most out of them. Then Sunshine was only like that because people wanted a follow-up to 64.

By the time of Galaxy they realized they didn't have to constrain themselves that way anymore and instead wanted to create lots of unique, fun levels, so from then on the games are more like traditional Mario games
>>
>>337115220
>I've got a 3DS and a WiiU. Should I get the game on virtual console, or the DS version?
Honestly up to you. A lot of people will bitch about one or the other but having played 64 when it came out jaded my impression of DS, so I can't give you an honest unbiased opinion. The multiple-characters gameplay of DS makes for a little bit of a different game though, for sure.

>I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the contrasts between Mario 64 and the 3D Land and World. Are they very different kinds of Mario game?
3D Land and World are definitely more in-line with the classic style of gameplay. Constant sense of forward-progression, classic use of power-ups, shorter tighter levels with "This is the Ice World and these are the levels in it" style, etc.

I don't know, I'd say emulate 64 first and then buy it if you find yourself liking it. If you're in it for 3DL/W style gameplay, you'll be disappointed. It's more akin to 3D games at the time - Banjo Kazooie, DK64, etc.

>>337115329
That's fair, I guess. I don't know, I played Super Mario World as a kid, and I loved 64 when it came out. I never even gave much thought to the fact that it went from sidescrolling linearity to exploration-based.
>>
>>337115604
Actually one of the changes in 3D World was that worlds were no longer themed. There were a lot of great level themes, like the Japanese castle, the trains, the Cherry hills, the savanna, etc. but now they're sprinkled throughout each world.

I'm still not sure if I like it better or not. The idea is obviously so you don't get bored of one idea, and that so they can have more varied difficulty with the stage ideas, but it also kind of ruins the sense of progression from one world to the next.
>>
>>337116173
Sorry, I played it sometime shortly after release cuz it came bundled with my Wii-U, and have forgotten everything about it other than "It was fun but sort of shallow" and "Giant fucking Cat Bowser."
>>
>>337116558
I'm not sure I'd call it shallow since it has far and away the biggest diversity of level design concepts since Mario 3, and the best hidden secrets since Sunshine's really obscure randomly hidden blue coins.

Though admittedly the movement mechanics were pretty unnecessarily dumbed down.
>>
>hes never played this

Jesus.
>>
>>337117315
At least he's willing to give it a shot and wants to find out why it's so loved instead of half this board that would just go FUCKIN OUTDATED BAD GRAFIX SHIT
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.