[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese CEOs are not that smart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: Sega-Saturn-104142855Z.jpg (67 KB, 693x588) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Saturn-104142855Z.jpg
67 KB, 693x588
Daily reminder that:
Sega of Japan released Sega "Surprise" Saturn in 1994
Sega of Japan didn't have any games to include with it
Sega of Japan didn't want to cut the price of the Genesis to $199 (It was an americna that convinced them to do so)
Sega of Japan didn't care for making more Sonic 2D games that would sell millions of copies in the 90s.
>>
>>337096760
I've brought it up in a million threads and I'll do it again here's a free bump

Why wasnt saturn just released as a addon to sega cd?
>Would have shaved 100+ dollars off the system
>Would have kept from alienating everyone who bought sega cd.
>The processor in the sega cd would have allowed for BC had saturn accepted genesis games in the expansion port
>would have kept sega cd on shelves and likewise sega cd games on shelves
>investment on sega cd R&D recouped faster

I mean it used the same 1x cd drive right, so why not?
>>
File: asians are smart.webm (2 MB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
asians are smart.webm
2 MB, 480x640
>asians are dumb

no way
>>
>>337097651
Not a good post, sega should have released saturn in 1995 with better GPU chip
>>
>>337097783
post more please
PLEASE
>>
File: 1446415809474.jpg (15 KB, 500x325) Image search: [Google]
1446415809474.jpg
15 KB, 500x325
>>337096760
Yeah but they've redeemed themselves since.
>>
>>337097783
oh my god
>>
>>337097651

Honestly, it probably would've been better if Sega hadn't released the Sega CD or 32X and put the time they spent dragging out the Genesis' lifespan into the Saturn.
>>
>>337099069
32X was the worst idea of all time
>>
>>337097651
Because it would have done as well as the 32x and Sega Cd.
Not well at all.

They should have figured out how to make it cheaper and had a shitload of games to show off that labrynthine clusterfuck that was their hardware.
>>
The guy who designed the Saturn hardware must be expelled from the public life
>>
File: saturn.jpg (277 KB, 421x601) Image search: [Google]
saturn.jpg
277 KB, 421x601
The Saturn was the only console at the time that had perfect arcade ports of the most popular fighting games; back when fighters were popular enough that they could make or break a console. The censored Mortal Kombat 1 on SNES alone put thousands of Genesis' in kids homes.

So the problem? Fucking Capcom never brought those arcade perfect ports over here. If anything helped kill the console, it was that because the Playstation simply couldn't do that. I imported that shit over the moment I got a saturn, and me and my saturn were the highlight at every birthday party we went to.
>>
>>337099749
X-men vs Street Fighter was king on the Saturn. It was depressing that the ps1 version didn't allow a tag team partner because of ram limitations. I imported that shit the day it was released in Japan.
>>
>>337096760
Sega of Japan made nearly every wrong decision they could in the international market from 1994-1999. You can count the things they did right on one hand.

>>337099374
Saturn's hardware had two big issues:
>dual CPU design is not merely hard to utilize (particularly in the mid 90s, where SMP is mainly the talk of high-end computing and academia, getting random game programmers back then to write good multithreaded code isn't reasonable to expect), the CPUs climb over each other for memory access and there's not enough cache on each to really let each chip just do its own thing
>the VDP1 is weird and kind of slow -- it needs to draw a little more than half the shit the PS1 does, and can skip out a bunch on rendering floors thanks to help from the VDP2, but it's sufficiently slow enough that it doesn't entirely make up for the fact that it's dealing with fewer polygons/quads

There's other things, namely the fact that there's a shit ton of processors in the thing (the two SH2s, VDP1, VDP2, an SH1 for disc drive control, a 68k for sound, the DSP for vertex processing that no one actually used, and the DSP in the SCSP, I'm missing like one or two others) ensured that you couldn't really lower costs on the machine, quads were odd even in 94, world had standardized on triangles forever ago.

part of it seems like they took their arcade hardware philosophy to heart (quads are used because it's an extension of Super Scaler sprite hardware and was done in-house since using the Lockheed stuff they had going with the Model 2 would have cost fucktons, loads of CPUs are used because in the arcade industry, you can afford to throw CPUs at a problem), but it's not quite as well designed overall as any of their arcade boards

It's not objectively bad, but it's got a list of barely justifiable design decisions that didn't help it overall.
also, PS1 blindsided it with the sheer poly count it put out, there wasn't anything else at that price/performance ratio on the market
>>
>>337097783
Fake. She doesn't react at all, not even a qt yelp.
>>
>>337096760
Wow, it's almost like the Saturn's primary focus was in Japan. Fucking retard.
>>
Part of me would like Sega to have another stab at doing hardware again, maybe not a full blown home console. Build a handheld or one of those linux/android based mini consoles perhaps?
>>
>>337100515
No its real because asians cant act even of their life depended on it
>>
Sega of Japan is notoriously stupid. Most of Sega's success in the 90's was due to SOA's aggressive marketing and western developed games (Comix Zone, Vectorman, etc), and SOE and Techtoy's pushes for the Master System in Europe and Brazil respectively. When the genesis was in it's twilight years, SOA thought the 32x was a good idea, but it failed spectacularly so SOJ took it's decision making privileges away.

During the Saturn era, Sega's fuckups were a mix of an American CEO who had no idea what he was doing and SOJ not letting SOA fund things like western games and translations of JP games. This essentially led the saturn to being a non-factor outside of japan.

Also, it's a common misconception that the Sega CD flopped, but it actually did pretty good, selling about 2.5 million units by 96. The 32x was a total shitshow financially though, and the dozen or so good games in it's library couldn't hold it up.

>>337099749
You sound like the coolest kid on the block.
>>
>>337100859
>asians cant act

That's how I know it's fake, her facial expression doesn't change at all. She barely jumps. Fake
>>
>>337100769
>Part of me would like Sega to have another stab at doing hardware again, maybe not a full blown home console. Build a handheld or one of those linux/android based mini consoles perhaps?

Ouya 2.0 not please.
>>
>>337101124
No, SoJ forced 32x and Sega CD on SoA. They fucking LOATHED how successful SoA was and how the CEO of SoA didn't kiss ass and play the corporate game according to their rules.
They even made a fucking video game about how SoA sucked and the CEO was an evil bastard.

All of that shit was on SoJ.
And the Saturns total fucking failure was mostly attributed to SoJ's insistence that it be put out with no one knowing what the fuck was going on and without any games at all.
I'm not even getting into how the new CEO thought that localizing japanese games was stupid.
>>
>>337101968
this

Shit, I'm pretty sure all of the development talent at Sega is long, long gone. There's a few pockets here and there, but they can't provide the kind of first party support a platform like that would need, and their reputation is in such tatters that they couldn't possibly attract enough third party support for a new system.

>>337103025
32X was an SoA project that was eventually realized as a bad idea, but pushed by SoJ.
As for the Sega CD, one thing was how SoJ didn't give any of the US teams working Sega CD prototypes until they were released to developers outside of Sega, but they did have PCBs in what they did send, so the US team cobbled together a prototype themselves (can't remember where I heard this one, might have been in a thing with Kallinske)
>>
>>337103025
>SOJ forced the 32x on SOA
Your completely right, I'd gotten that it was SOJ engineers collaborating with Joe Miller and not the other way around. SOA took the Sega CD pretty well, all things considered, but they definitely focused on the plain ass Genesis, since that was where the money was.

>They even made a fucking video game about how SoA sucked and the CEO was an evil bastard.
Segagaga was also about the rest of failures past, like how Sega KNEW they were going to shit over financial issues. It's a great game though, if you can read nip give it a try.

>>337103025
>the Saturns total fucking failure was mostly attributed to SoJ's insistence that it be put out with no one knowing what the fuck was going on and without any games at all.

I would've mentioned it if it wasn't already covered in other posts above me, but yes, that was a SPECTACULARLY stupid move. In addition to the obvious consumer confusion, it also cut ties with most retail locations outside of japan due to mistrust, dooming them in the long-run.
>>
>>337100859
Maybe she is in shock?
>>
File: 1457704393573.gif (2 MB, 846x563) Image search: [Google]
1457704393573.gif
2 MB, 846x563
>mfw jewtendo will soon follow
>>
>>337097783
Fake as fuck
>>
>Had a Sega Saturn growing up
>Nobody knows my childhood games
To be fair its not like I ever beat them though, those games were hard as hell.
>>
>>337100515
>>337103897
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEIetcYZWsU
>>
>>337097795
don't you mean a normal cpu and not the getto ass duel cpu that shared the same bus thye came up with
>>
File: 1458746400372.jpg (14 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
1458746400372.jpg
14 KB, 320x480
>>337103786
>this is what Sonyggers actually believe
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.