[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People are talking a lot about Overwatch. Let's have a TF2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (328 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
328 KB, 1920x1080
People are talking a lot about Overwatch. Let's have a TF2 thread instead. Do people still play TF2? Why are its characters, who get barely any description, so memorable and fun? Was the game really better on release?
>>
100% vanilla is still alive on xbox, just played a couple rounds yesterday.
>>
>>337083220
Spy vs. Sniper Update - War! update era was the peak of TF2. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>337083220
>Was the game really better on release?
No, TF2 was better after the heavy, medic, and engineer updates.
>>
TF2 was not at its peak during 2007 as much as nostalgiafags will have you believe. It was very much enjoyable, but I feel like you had to go just near the Spy/Sniper update to see the better results of patches.

Soldier/Demo was wicked fun as an event but by then you could argue it was drifting further and further away from the original feel.
>>
>>337083220
It has a simple, cohesive visual style. The characters are each built off of one or two simple defining traits, and it does a good job at making them memorable.

TF2 was an exquisitely crafted game and Valve knew exactly what they were doing. It's sad that all they do is make shitty MTX garbage and try to create hardware that's DoA instead of making games.
>>
>>337083220
>better on release
>no airblast or even the ability to pick up buildings
>>
The game was at its height once all of the first set of alternate weapons were released but before the hats and player-created weapons.
>>
>>337083559

I put more than 2k hours in before you could pick up buildings, and a good 300 of those were Engineer.

Really, you didn't need it. It was a very welcome feature, but people did just fine before they could pick stuff up.
>>
>>337083220
But TF2's characters aren't memorable. I've played TF2 for a long time and still struggle to remember everyone. Played OW for a couple hours and remember everybody and everything they can do.
>>
>>337083510
>Soldier/Demo was wicked fun as an event

It was honestly one of TF2's lowest points. The amount of spam was unbearable. Took my first real break from TF2 at that time.
>>
>>337083643

poor b8
>>
>>337083220
>on release

Lmao, it was an amazing game, but it only got love on PC

PS3 port was horrendously bad, and the X360 community was very small, due to the XboxLive policies that killed any chance of new maps or updates. Some say it was the lack of RAM on the 360.

Console fags bought the Orange Box and only played Portal

TF2 was slow to become popular because everyone was iffy about the designs, comparing them to The Incredibles. Meanwhile CoD4 was out and everyone wanted realism, so the 360 was a literal Halo 3/CoD4 machine.

The game was really good, but then hats became a thing, and then they just kept piling all the shit.

But the nail in the coffin was when the game became F2P, which brought in an insane amount of annoying snot nosed kids, and NEET degenerates.

The game became trash, and resorted to Vanilla servers.
>>
>>337083559
Airblast is GOAT.
>>
ITT we discuss the absolute worst community maps to ever become official

and why are they cp_junction and cp_egypt
>>
Yes
Valve (used to) care about the characters.To my knowledge Blizzard is "lol who cares it's a game"
No
>>
>>337083834
Junction, I'll agree wholeheartedly.

Egypt is okay.
>>
>>337083627
That's just straight up ignorance
>>
>>337083559
I remember when you could first move buildings.

It was such a great feeling.

They also had level 3 mini sentries for like a day though, that was horrifying.
>>
>>337083834

Egypt is one of the best maps. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>337083834
Junction is bad

Egypt is ok
>>
>>337084126
>>337084146
I like the thought of Egypt, but the second cap is waaayyy too far from spawn, especially the third part. Holy crap. You pretty much NEED an offensive engineer.
>>
>>337083834
I agree with you on Egypt, but only because its colors fuck with my eyes and I physically can't stand it.
>>
I'm stunned there isn't an update announced to coincide and compete with Overwatch yet.

I had my fill of it and can say that playing TF2 right after feels so damn good. I find Overwtach too "noisy"- it's often hard to tell what people are when they start to cluster or make a push and with Ults being fired every few seconds the game becomes very RNGish and unpredictable even more so than the random Crits in TF2 which I hate so much.
>>
>>337083834
Fucking HATE Lakeside. Not really sure why. I think it's too much of a clusterfuck on the point and useless travel from spawn. But I don't care for most KOTH maps anyway except Nucleus.
>>
>>337084371
I wish more things were like borneo or rainforest-y like some of the maps.

Abandoned upward and the badwater edit or nice
>>
>>337084354
>You pretty much NEED an offensive engineer.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Offense engie is criminally underrated.
>>
>>337083973

How is it ignorance to tell you that people didn't need it?

Were you playing Engineer at all during 2007 to 2012 or whenever they added that change?

You didn't NEED to pick up buildings. It was an oft-requested feature that we thought Valve would never do, and people played A/D + Payload very well without it.

>>337084474

Valve's team for TF2 has to be less than five now. They started work on rd_asteroid more than two years ago and it's still not finished. Teasers were released for a Spy/Engineer update and it never happened.

No sign at all of their competitive mode being released, and they released two half-baked modes that are more dead than tc_hydro is.
>>
File: 1462842137012.png (71 KB, 579x525) Image search: [Google]
1462842137012.png
71 KB, 579x525
>>337084474
b4nny posted this today
>>
>>337083220
>TF/TFC
Designed as competitive shooter for LAN parties and general gaming comp.

>TF2
A new take on the previous game, adds cosmetics, customizable loadouts, and generally appeals towards the casuals because there is no comp. mode option (when it was first released). It still maintains the same competitive mindset of a simple class based shooter for comp. gamemodes. TF2 in my opinion is the latest pinnacle of the barebones class based competitive shooter just like the previous title minus the cosmetics and weapon/loadout choice.

>Overwatch
An FPS game with a MOBA champion/character selection each as their own class. The comp. scene as shifted or atleast included MOBA's way more so Blizzard is trying to create an innovative game to appeal to that audience.
Overwatch shit and when compared to a refined class based shooter like TFC for a comp. game MOBA's in general are shit. Instead of 9 classes to balance each with their own unique playstyle, you have 30+ classes with similar abilities and it's hard to find a balance between all the classes. TF knew this during the old days of Quake and HL because class based FPS's were needed but the ones at the time were not balanced enough for serious comp. play.

>tl;dr
The best class based shooter is the TF series and Overwatch will be succesful because the trend is MOBA's but when the trend falls/or when Blizzard does something retarded the game will die (likd add too many characters) and there will still be a need for a barebones more serious comp. FPS
>>
>>337083834
pl_hoodoo. terribly unbalanced map that really showed how valve had started not polishing as well as it used to.
also turbine. it's balanced well but it's so bland, i'm really surprised it became an official map.
>>
>>337084650
Mannpower's a much better game mode than hydro.

Also I'm still mad they got rid of the original asteroid map, it was real good.
>>
>>337083220
I think both games have great character designs, but holy hell is the writing for Overwatch unbearable. Chris Metzen is probably one of the least talented people in the industry.

TF2 does comedy and seriousness well, while Overwatch fails at both.
>>
File: Battleborn_OpenBeta_Announce.jpg (236 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
Battleborn_OpenBeta_Announce.jpg
236 KB, 1024x512
How is Battleborn? Is it just like Overwatch but less good?
>>
>>337084698
>Expect tons of rebalances
Oh boy can't wait for them to buff broken things and make a dozen other weapons useless!
>>
>>337084767

I have a soft spot for Turbine. Always loved playing on 24/7 Turbine. Every class is viable, but Pyro does especially well with reflect.

The real trouble it had, which was mostly fixed by turbine_pro, was the spawn camping and difficulty of breaking a two-engineer nest at mid with one sentry per container plus another on ledge facing vent exit.
>>
>>337084708
>adds cosmetics, customizable loadouts
That was all much later.
>>
>>337083220
>who get barely any description

they all got descriptions and personal videos about them and what they do and lets not even get into the numerous comics that have fleshed them out since them
>>
File: 420 believe yourself.png (244 KB, 358x570) Image search: [Google]
420 believe yourself.png
244 KB, 358x570
>>337084698
>Inb4 they nerf the Pyro, again.
>>
>>337084968

At this point I'm very cynical. Just look at Heavy to see what Valve thinks "balance" is - he's fucking dogshit because they base all of their nerfs around the fact that he can sit at a corner revved up and kill some Scout that doesn't have sound on.

Plus, they're doing this to try and fix a game that is already 4 years too late for that. The engine is creaking, it runs worse on my computer than any modern game does, and their code library has to be absolutely chaotic at this point.
>>
I still play from time to time, pocket medic using vaccinator.
>>
>>337084698

Better not fuck anymore with the vaccinator, so help me god.
>>
>>337084915
It's like League of Lesbians, but with Gearbox's 'classic' humour, and obviously in a first-person perspective with gunplay and such.
>>
>>337085031
It was. It doesn't change the fact it's in the game. Competitive mode was also added recently so I felt like there was more of an arguement for the present TF2 than there was for the past despite the stuff the added.
>>
File: sadhoovy.png (13 KB, 409x367) Image search: [Google]
sadhoovy.png
13 KB, 409x367
>get two hats that are quite rare (1 of 1 and 1 of 2)
>both combined were worth nearly $900 USD in 2014
>EOTL gets released, a whole bunch of hat collectors quit the game
>keys crashed
>the money I spent on the crates was almost as much as the hats would have sold for
>sites where you can get money out of steam are just scams
>everything is worthless
>haven't played the game since last summer

i wasn't even a huge fan of cosmetics, but i recognize I was a bit of a gambling addict with them. This is my punishment.
>>
File: muh mower.jpg (22 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
muh mower.jpg
22 KB, 500x356
>mfw Volvo did away with sticky jumper+ullapool caber
It was the most satisfying way to be an irritating shit and gib Snipers and now it's gone.
>>
I like Overwatch even stole the Russian heavy and Germanic medic.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.