[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/, I feel like magic systems in most video games are pretty.....limited.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: what-the-fuck-am-i-casting.jpg (50 KB, 435x571) Image search: [Google]
what-the-fuck-am-i-casting.jpg
50 KB, 435x571
Hey /v/,

I feel like magic systems in most video games are pretty.....limited. In your opinion, what are some games that did magic well (offensive, enchanting, any shit), and what are some ideas you have to make it better? What are some cool ideas do you have for magic in video games?
>>
>>337075334
Baldur's Gate 2 and Divinity OS are my favorite
>>
File: Merlin.jpg (75 KB, 564x792) Image search: [Google]
Merlin.jpg
75 KB, 564x792
There has yet to be a truly great magic system in any game, closest MAYBE being Arx Fatalis and drawing da runes. But I guess it all hinges on what kind of magic you personally prefer.
>>
>>337077065
Also since the thread is no longer on page 10, some ways to improve BG2 spells would be to have more Druid spells and I think DivOS needs more utility spells or reasons to actually use them. The spell combinations for Divinity OS2 look pretty cool and add an extra layer of depth.
>>
>>337077247
I've been debating about getting arx fatalis or dark messiah, since they're made by the same people (i think) which is better?
>>
>>337075334
>>337077247
What are games lacking to give you your ideal magic system?

How would it operate?
>>
>>337077570
>>337077247
also which one holds up better
>>
The adventures of sir kicksalot deathboot in the land of the conveniently placed spike racks

One of my favorite combat systems ever. I'm surprised no one has tried to do better
>>
>>337077570
Dark Messiah lets you do a lot more physics based stuff like killing enemies with barrels or kicking enemies off cliffs or spike traps. There's no rune drawing but you still get neat spells like the freeze spell enemies slip on.
>>
>>337075334
Skyrim
>>
>>337075334
Two Worlds 2 had a pretty interesting magic system.
>>
File: Merlin-Excalibur.jpg (98 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Merlin-Excalibur.jpg
98 KB, 1024x576
>>337077721
Too many games interpret magic as fire - lightning - ice and you shoot them all out of your hand like Goku. Many people myself included prefer magic that's a more 'subtle' like Tolkien or the real old tales of Merlin where his craft was entirely 'by his subtlety'. That's hard to do in a game though of course and maybe the stuff I'm thinking of (talking to a bird or a tree to get information, get news from a stream, listen to a rock) is a little bit closer to Druids than wizards.
>>
>>337077936
I don't think he mean DMMM
>>
>>337078019
I never really considered low magic settings as being conductive to the PC actually performing magic. The easy cop out is to have a supporting character in charge of magic in a setting like that.
>>
>>337078031
There's only one dark messiah he could be talking about from the same devs dipshit.
>>
File: indiedb_preview.png (884 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
indiedb_preview.png
884 KB, 1024x768
>>337075334
I want a game that works like this but is actually fun. Being able to create thousands(if not more) of spells with unique effects from a sizable pool of existing ones is cool.
>>
>>337078229
Yeah, fuck, you're right. I've been drinking.
>>
>>337077970
if you get mods yes
>>
More games need transmogrification, both of items and of enemies.
>>
File: chain lightning.webm (3 MB, 1067x600) Image search: [Google]
chain lightning.webm
3 MB, 1067x600
>>337075334
Magicka and Lichdom: Battlemage
>>
File: Nox_(video_game_-_box_art).jpg (34 KB, 334x400) Image search: [Google]
Nox_(video_game_-_box_art).jpg
34 KB, 334x400
The answer is always Nox
>>
>>337078019
OP was asking for great magic systems in games not grounded magic systems. If you want that your choices are to play tabletop RPGs or a video game with DM mode to allow for things like that.
>>
>>337078465
Holy shit that looks fun as fuck. Why haven't I heard more about this game?
>>
>>337079262
>Why haven't I heard more about this game?
Because your scope is limited to what is popular.
>>
>>337079389
that sums up /v/ pretty well
>>
>>337079851
Yeah.
>>
>>337079262
maybe cause it has sub 60% review on steam
>>
>>337075334
This image is fucking retarded. In order to cast a spell you HAVE to know what the hell you're doing or else nothing will be casted at all. Kill yourself you fucking faggot and take your stupid ass meme image with you.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.