[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror Vidya Thred
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
For those of us who enjoy this dead-ass genre.

>What was the last horror game you enjoyed?
>Hated?
>Will horror games ever be good again?
>Why was SOMA so fucking garbage?
>>
>>337068301
hey what's up

>Recently played Fatal Frame 3, was a great end to the trilogy
>Paranoiac was a complete shitfest and one of the most generic doujin RPG Maker horror games out there
>Maybe but it will be different than the old style I liked so it'll take getting used to
>Didn't play it, I thought that Amnesia was overrated
>>
Last horror game I enjoyed:
Alien Isolation
Hated:
Layers of Fear
Will horror games ever be good again:
Probably not man, its like theyre being made for the sole purpose of creating material for lets players on fucking youtube.
Why was SOMA so fucking garbage?:
Same reason every other survival horror made recently is garbage. Its just hide and seek "le monster going 2 get u xDDDD" bullshit.
>>
>>337068596
Layers was pretty fuckin spooky for a corridor simulator, my dude.
>>
>>337068662
It wasnt a game.
>>
>>337068737
I think horror "games" deserve a bit more leniency when compared to other games. Their goal is to spook you, not necessarily have good mechanics. As long as the controls are servicable and the atmosphere is spooky, it's doing its job.
>>
>>337068662
I could get the same experience by going through an art gallery and paying someone to randomly grab my shoulders and scream in my ear every 2 minutes
>>
>>337068894
Nah I TOTALLY disagree. I still want a solid game behind the atmosphere. Its cool if you liked it but I thought it was garbage.
>>
>>337068301
Shit thread
>>
>>337069043
MUH COIN FLIP CONSCIOUSNESS.

Go back to your philosophy 101 course.
>>
>>337068301
>>What was the last horror game you enjoyed?
Cry of Fear, that shit was very good and free, I kinda want to try afraid of monters but I don't know if it's worth my time
>>Hated?
Almost everything that uses jumpscares as "horror", that shit is just fucking dumb
>>Will horror games ever be good again?
I hope so, it was all I played back in the day and always dreamed that when graphics got better we would get better games, what a fool I was
>>Why was SOMA so fucking garbage?
idk, never played it, if I can make a wild guess it's beause it's going for the same meme gameplay about hide/run/avoid monster because you are too retarded to fight back

if I could throw my two cents, I would say that a huge part about horror games was the combat, having to overcome your fears and fight back to survive and put an end to those fuckers life
>>
>>337068301
>SOMA
>garbage

OP confirmed for jump-scare faggot. SOMA was the best horror game I've played in fucking years. Actually had some proper disturbing shit going on. The people that didn't think SOMA was scary don't have the brain capacity to understand proper horror. You OP are the reason horror has been reduced to 5 Nights at Freddys bullshit.
>>
File: 1459528743574.jpg (25 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1459528743574.jpg
25 KB, 360x360
>>337069850
>being this colossal of a pleb
Babby's first existential horror isn't legitimately scary, anon.
>>
>>337069653
It was good and nobody ever did anything like that
But maybe you prefer FNAF jumpscares to actual engaging story and well studied psychological horror
>>
>>337069976
Enjoy your e-celeb streamer horror games anon. Don't forget to like Poods's latest scream vid! XD
>>
Last played kholat.

It was a nice experience with top notch atmosphere and Sean bean, but the large space where the room for improvement is is just glaringly apparent
>>
>>337070013
>>337070124
Wew lads
>>
I've heard good things about Corpse Party. Worth playing/reading?
>>
File: the-greys-aliens.jpg (35 KB, 607x350) Image search: [Google]
the-greys-aliens.jpg
35 KB, 607x350
God I would kill for a game about being abducted by Greys or some shit.
The beginning of Mothership Zeta in Fallout 3 kinda gave that vibe.
>>
Is Alien Isolation any good? Its been awhile since I've enjoyed a horror game. I was playing through fatal frame 2 for the first time and got to the part with the spooky spirit in the evil looking murder room before I got side tracked into other games in general
>>
>>337069976
>existential horror
stop
>>
>>337068301
The Evil Within

>Hated?
All of the Freddy's games

Possibly. Funnily enough I think its the indie horror games that are killing the market with the whole jump scare thing. Also there needs to be an emphasis on combat like this guy >>337069690 said. The whole thing that made horror games scary was that you knew you would have to go into that scary place and kill the entities yourself in order to proceed.

Didnt play it but I guess the Amnesia guys keep redoing the same formula.
>>
>>337068301
I can't even remember.
>Hated?
The Count Lucanor. So much potential with that ominous atmosphere and fairytale-gone-evil setting, but the movement is just too slow. Turns the game into a slog.
No.
Corridor simulator with a fedora tier plot that lets people pretend they're smart.
>>
>>337070369
Yeah its good. Plus its pretty cheap now.
>>
>>337070360
Its pretty old now anon but you should pick up Prey if you haven't already.
>>
My nigga Lying figure started a youtube channel to showcase how fucking amazing S I L E N T H I L L 2 is. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTD1RlhS6PpYeaQ6lMjdL7Q
>>
>>337070369
The experience I had with alien isolation was awful
I played it on hard because the game says it's the "intended experience" but the truth is the Xenomorph is a pathfinding game over who will many times spawn close to you and magically walk in your direction even though there is no possible way it saw or heard you
Some times it will even ignore the enemies and focus directly on you, not to mention that he cancels spawning animations to sprint at you
Other than that the game looks fantastic and is very well optimized but the relentless Alien knowing where you are the second it spawns or even before spawning is incredibly frustrating
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.