[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As each year goes by I begin to understand what the story of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: latest[2].png (633 KB, 1080x606) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].png
633 KB, 1080x606
As each year goes by I begin to understand what the story of Metal Gear Solid 4 was trying to say with Old Snake.

Snake is himself a representative of the aging video game player, and more specifically of a player who is developing health issues early in life. This is very common in the 21st century.

When I played the game for the first time in 2008 I was in the full bloom of health in my mid 20s and I was annoyed by the character of Old Snake. I wanted Solid Snake back. I wanted to play that bad-ass dude again. And at the end of the game when Snake is not cured of his illness I was disappointed.

But now, my health has taken many turns for the worse as the years have progressed and I've passed 30. And now I look back on Old Snake and I see him as inspirational. I see him as a man who does not let his illness prevent him from still performing his duties, from still being that man who once did great things. It's harder for him, a lot harder, but he still summons the guts to soldier on and make sure the world doesn't slip away.

And he doesn't get cured. He doesn't go back. Because there is no going back to the way things were before. There's only what you are now, and what you're going to be.

Snake is optimistic at the end of the, even if his time is limited and he knows it's probably going to get even harder. He wants to see how the future is going to turn out, because he honestly doesn't know at that point. I try my best to do the same.
>>
That's cool man.
>>
>optimistic
>suicidal attempt
>>
>>337061612
actually, no
Old Snake represents Kojima being depressed and feeling like an aged video game developer that can't move on from his franchise.
>>
>>337061612

that's a fair analysis of snake, and he was handled pretty well in 4
>>
>>337061612
Kojima made him like that to show how old and busted he and the series itself are. There are many verbal cues which shows Kojima's feelings for the game and series itself (i.e during the rail shooter in Act 2 when Drebin says "We got an MGS on our asses!" showing how badly he wants to get away from it all) and by making the game more action oriented and mentioning the Paradise Lost Army originally being kids addicted to video games speaks volumes about what Kojima thinks of his fans.

It's no secret that Kojima didn't wanted to make MGS4, he openly admitted on record that he only did so to please the fans who wanted closure to MGS2. And they got it, just not the way they hoped.
>>
>>337061612
I look back fondly on MGS4 as it did the aging hero thing within the span of ten real life years of people following Snake.

>>337062557
Optimistic because he decides he might as well live it out rather than off himself.

>>337062930
He was heading into middle age at the time so it's very fitting.
>>
>>337062557
He thought he was going to become a biological weapon.
>>
In 20 years mgs4 will be hailed as the pinnacle of the series.
>>
>>337066730
It is, tho
>>
>>337066730
Only if in 20 years the world becomes overrun by a warmongering government AI syste! that enforces shit taste.
>>
>>337066958
No
>>
>>337067265
you can't appreciate anything, not my fucking problem
>>
>>337068645
I can appreciate all kinds of things, including other MG games. MGS4 is just a mess on nearly every level.
>>
>>337066730
It already is, but in 20 years time it will be considered one of the great video games on top of that.
>>
>>337062930
It's this, and what OP is saying all at the same time. It's a deep game.
>>
>>337061612
>browsing 4chan in your 30s

hahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>337063687
I guess after MGS4 we were idiots to expect MGSV to offer anything near the same amount of closure or articulation.
>>
>>337071583
we'll see if you're laughing when you're still inevitably here and some shithead underageb& says the same thing to you
>>
>>337061612

Well lardass, maybe if you went to the gym or for a run and didn't drink a 2L of corn syrup every day you might feel good. I still have great stats and I'm almost 31.
>>
why do people keep giving kojima's shitty writing more credit than it's worth? soon people are going to start saying MGSV was intentionally shit to give the player actual phantom pain in real life
>>
>>337061612
That are some nice opinions and this is a great OP.

Too bad the 16 year olds who browse /v/ cannot sympathise with an argument that doesn't rely on memes and shitflinging to make its point.
>>
>>337062557
I never understood what exactly happened in that scene

You hear the gun go off
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.