[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you play a turn based rpg with no progression or party members?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (838 KB, 1000x888) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
838 KB, 1000x888
Would you play a turn based rpg with no progression or party members?
>>
File: 1-vince-mcmahon-wwe-funny-face.gif (2 MB, 350x266) Image search: [Google]
1-vince-mcmahon-wwe-funny-face.gif
2 MB, 350x266
>rpg with no progression
>>
>>337040180
I already played Sticker Star
Literally the best thing they could have done for it was remove the battle system
>>
>>337040180
yes
>>
I bought sticker star because I loved the previous Paper Mario games so much. I looked up nothing about it because i didn't want spoilers, so I was still under the impressions given by the original preview on it from several years earlier that it was like PM64 and TYD. Never been so disappointed by a game in my life.
>>
>>337041107
Yeah, same here. I almost wonder if I'd appreciate it a bit more if I knew more going into it.
Then again, I might not have gotten it in the first place if I knew.
>>
>>337041107
yup me too. bought a 3DS for this garbage.
>>
>>337041657
Yeah I had too
>>337041515

Really hoping that there were enough people like us that the Sticker Star sales were artificially raised, and Color Splash is going to crash and burn terribly. I don't even care if it kills the Paper Mario franchise. At this point I'd rather have it dead than what it's become.
>>
I liked it
>>
>>337041890
how dare you
So was it just the exploration aspect or what? I didn't really get much further than the poison swamp and desert.
>>
>>337042034
the levels just had that classic Paper Mario feel and the bosses were tough
>>
Sticker star with TTYD's battle system.
Is this game better now?
>>
>>337040180
>a turn based rpg with no progression

Yes that would make a pretty fantastic game if a lot of care was put into designing. Imagine if an Ice Sword that dealt double damage to fire monsters didn't get outclassed by a non-elemental one.

I like RPGs but I stand by the idea EXP and Levels are inherently bad game design because they replace strategy and skill with grinding.
>>
>>337043938
Does it have partners with abilities useable in the world? If not, then no.
>>
File: 1444437381403.jpg (24 KB, 253x238) Image search: [Google]
1444437381403.jpg
24 KB, 253x238
>>337041760
>At this point I'd rather have it dead than what it's become.

Well fuck off then. The spiteful attitude that breeds this thinking isn't good for a fanbase ever.
>>
>>337044939
I don't disagree with the exp sentiment, but it helps enjoyment of a game a lot when you gain new abilities and party members throughout to expand the gameplay variety.
>>
>>337044939
You still need some sense of progression and some incentive for fighting. Exp might be a cheap way out but it's the easiest and most traditional way of tackling both of those problems.
>>
>>337046171
Fights aren't supposed to be about incentives. Sure getting rewards is nice, but combat in a game is supposed to be an obstacle.
In SS, the battles fail to be obstacles because they're easily avoided and running away makes enemies disappear with no consequence.
>>
>>337045652
>>337046171

Maybe if they brought back badges but not levels and make them really expensive and give Mario a fixed number of badge slots. So it's more Horizontal progression(different combinations of badges) rather than Vertical(levelling up).
>>
I liked it.
But I always force myself to fight any enemy I come across.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.