[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the great debate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: mario vs banjo.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mario vs banjo.jpg
162 KB, 1280x720
the great debate
>>
>>337022087
Mario
>>
both shit
>>
Banjo was made to compete with mario so mario was always the big boy with other platformers trying to leech off the success of mario 64.
>>
I always thought, the great debate would be Donkey Kong 64 vs. Banjo Kazooie.
>>
>>337022087
BK.
Mario 64 looks like unfinished prototype compared to him.
>>
>>337022924
It is

Both are equal for me
>>
>Better graphics
>Better humor
>Better soundtrack
>Much better final boss fight
>Game doesn't kick you out of the level after getting a jiggy
Banjo-Kazooie wins.
>>
Mario, I never got into BK even after finishing it.
>>
>>337022087
-sm64 has great controls/physics
-bk64 is a more complete game while sm64 is more of a tech demo
>>
Furry casuals who play for characters and dialogue will prefer Banjo.

Connoisseurs of pure and objective gameplay know Super Mario 64 is the better game.
>>
>>337023394
Plus Mario 64 is not nearly as much of a collect a thon
>>
>>337022087
Mario just makes "ho, ho, hoho!" when he jumps.
The other two go WOW! AH CHA OOH JOO WOOYYY and it's way more annoying.
>>
Those blinded by brand loyalty will choose Super Mario 64.

Those who prefer an objectively better game will choose Banjo-Kazooie.
>>
>>337023480
>mario 64 is not nearly as much of a collect a thon
Are you joking?
120 stars > 100 jiggies

100 coins X 15 levels = 1500 coins vs 100 notes X 10 levels = 1000 notes.

SM64 was a bigger collectathon.
>>
>>337022924
ive never heard anyone say Dk64 is better.
>>
>>337023929
>Feathers
>Eggs
>Mumbo Tokens
>Cheato Pages
>>
>>337023929
You forget the eggs, the two types of feathers, the mumbo tokens, jinjos, the extra-lives and the (empty) honeycombs.

That said, I personally prefer Banjo-Kazooie but I still like Super Mario 64 for different reasons.
>>
Banjo & Kazooie is honestly one of the most overrated games I have ever seen.
>>
File: laugh1.webm (491 KB, 522x716) Image search: [Google]
laugh1.webm
491 KB, 522x716
>>337023601
the irony
>>
M64 has more worlds and a richer, if not slightly more vague atmosphere. Banjo Kazooie also has a bunch of shitty worlds that you're forced to spend a bunch of time in beyond the first 2 and Freezeeazy Peak. Not to mention that m64 did it all first and has tighter physics and controls
>>
>>337024428
the eggs, feathers, extra lives and many of the mumbo tokens aren't required for 100% completion. they're more like ammo as opposed to what is commonly referred to as a "collectable"
>>
SM64 vs BK

Lets break it down by category.

>gameplay
Both are platformers, both are collectathons. But B-K is a bigger one so it gets a bit more tedious.
Advantage: SM64
>controls
Super Mario 64's controls are faster and feel more fluid while B-K felt more rigid.
Advantage: SM64
>sountrack
No contest here. Banjo-Kazooie had one of Rare's many talented composers do the soundtrack assuring that every section/level had a unique theme. SM64 on the other hand had to resort to reusing the same song for many levels.
Advantage: B-K
>graphics
Again, no contest. Banjo-Kazooie easily wins here. Rare always had a knack for pushing Nintendo's consoles graphical capabilities to the limit. We saw it with DK on the SNES and we see it here in the N64 with B-K.
>enemies
Mario had the standard series enemies like goombas, koopas, boos, etc. B-K being completely new had the luxury of experimenting with its enemies so we get some cool and freaky shit like Snacker, mummies, sewer slugs, naval mines etc.
>final boss fight
With Bowser all you had to was sneak behind him and toss him onto a bomb 3 times. With Gruntilda you had to use every skill that Bottles taught you to beat her and it took way more than 3 hits.
>Advantage: B-K

So the overall winner is Banjo-Kazooie.
>>
Kino: Mario 64
Flick: Banjo Kazoo
>>
>>337024352
Eggs and feathers are more like ammo and power ups and not needed for 100% completion unlike notes and jiggies. That would be like calling 1up mushrooms collectables in SM64.
>>
File: 87435547.png (39 KB, 1400x900) Image search: [Google]
87435547.png
39 KB, 1400x900
>>337025317

I agree with all of this but I give gameplay and controls much more weight compared to the other categories.

SM64 is the better platformer

B-K is the better collectathon.
>>
>>337022924
DK64 is possibly the worst game I've ever played. Easily the worst DK game.
>>
>>337022087
Love them both, but Banjo is the better game in almost every way imo.
>>
Apples and oranges.

Mario has GOAT platforming and shit exploration, Banjo has the opposite.
>>
One has the superior final boss theme.

The other is for gay furry faggots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhbzNgDFdI
>>
>>337027370
its a shame they turned king koopa into a faggot after mario 64
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.