[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is probably the best JRPG ever made, im not even one of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 30
File: xenoblade-chronicles-3d-123122.jpg (237 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
xenoblade-chronicles-3d-123122.jpg
237 KB, 1280x720
This is probably the best JRPG ever made, im not even one of those 17 year old fags, im 30 and have been playing shit games for a while now.

This outdoes any other JRPG in almost every way. Near perfect game.

Cant say the same about X though, oh my.
>>
It's shit.
>>
>>336999105
>oh my

This was almost a comfy xenoblade thread. Now its going to be an arguing shitfest. Thanks anon.
>>
I liked it but battles are not engaging enough for me
>>
>>336999437

You've obviously never engaged the enemy.
>>
>>336999105
>im 30 and have been playing shit games for a while now.
Judging by this thread, you're still at it.
>>
>Offline MMO
>A large, but empty world
>Dozens of fetch quests
>Riki is a generic comic relief character
>Shulk is clearly the chosen one, and wields the Monado
>God is the final boss, and Shulk wishes for a world with no gods. The END.

What does Xenoblade do well compared to most other JRPGS.
>>
>>336999105
How is this on emulator?
>>
File: mmm.jpg (2 KB, 90x90) Image search: [Google]
mmm.jpg
2 KB, 90x90
>>337002415
>offline mmo
>this is always bad thing
>>
File: nier-cover[1].jpg (62 KB, 738x613) Image search: [Google]
nier-cover[1].jpg
62 KB, 738x613
>>336999105

too many stereoptipes crammed in it, the typical jrpg story about the boy saving the world, the world and music were god tier though
>>
>>336999105
Far too padded. Would've been better with 40 hours knocked off the play time, or left optional
>>
>>337003649

what padding are you talking about, all sidequests are optional including the rebuilding of the colony, gems are all haded to you by mobs and you never have to grind to kill story bosses, hell you can be overleveled by the time you reach mechonis lol
>>
>>336999105
Except the battle system is complete trash and playing a xeno game without controlling a mecha is retarded. Instead of being an arpg inspired by gears combat we ended up with a cliche mmo
>>
>>336999105
If you're 30 and think this is better than the psx Gen jrpgs then you're retarded
>>
File: psx_808.jpg (1 MB, 1772x1393) Image search: [Google]
psx_808.jpg
1 MB, 1772x1393
>>336999105
not even the best in its series
>>
>>337003761
Pretty much every area has a shitload of padding.

>gaur plains
>ether mines
>nopon village
>eryyh sea
>melias temple side story thing
>fallen arm
Etc

Everything that detracts from the main story is padding, like the games designers wanted us to know how much work was put in to the environments, rather than letting us explore organically. Just because something is half assedly woven in to the main story, it doesn't mean it isn't padding. The story, for the most part, is about Shulk hunting down Metal Face, and yet he lets himself be sidetracked by stupid shit all the time. Not to mention the shear amount of gameplay padding, Prison Island 2 and the Eryth Sea "puzzle" at the forefront.
>>
How is the N3DS port?
>>
>>337004331
Serviceable.
>>
File: 1446963436090.jpg (56 KB, 640x601) Image search: [Google]
1446963436090.jpg
56 KB, 640x601
This is the best RPG ever made.
>>
>>337002415

I don't know why you stopped there, every character is a walking trope

>sheltered princess that doesn't know much about the outside world
>osanajimi love interest
>knucklehead best friend/tank
>with shulk the game literally and without a shred of irony does the orphan has his village burned down while out on an errand and discovers his true power bullshit
>>
>>337002484
Definitive way to play it. Higher resolution alone makes a huge difference.
>>
>>337004535
Not to mention the characters are just shit with no development, and very little to like about
>>
>last gen /v/ was all over this mediocre Wii exclusive
>now most of the thread consist of OP getting BTFO
What went right?
>>
>>337004647
Nintendrones left in their droves from the aftermath of the last E3
>>
>>337004547
How to get the sound to work right? Every game I emulate gets staticy sound.
>>
>>337004570
I'd argue that the characters are likable, but yeah the character development is really sparse. Then again, I didn't get many Heart-to-Hearts so maybe I missed out on some stuff there.

There should have been an alternate ending where you get Melia at the end.
>>
>>337004721
Google. Not being a Dick, but the games been emulated so much that someone's bound to have had your exact problem lb your exact build
>>
>>337004331
Good enough

The game never was a graphical beast to begin
>>
>/v/ hates xenoblade chronicles now

To think this place had any redeeming value
>>
>>337004929
Stop being overly dramatic.
>>
>>336999105
kill yourself.
>>
>>336999105

I agree that this is my favourite JRPG.
I disagree that it is near perfect, as there are some flaws, but I think it really depends on the person as to how much the flaws effect one's enjoyment.

Some people here are saying they found the characters generic, but for me personally I found them to be one of the best JRPG casts. They're interactions felt very genuine. This may be in part to the excellent dub though.

The combat can get a little repetitive, but I think most people who think this are the sort of people who stuck to Shulk-Reyn-Sharla for the whole game. If you constantly switch your party around, the combat is a lot of fun and very tactical.

The world is the strongest aspect of the game. Here I would say it is the greatest world ever envisioned in a JRPG.
>>
>>336999105
>>336999105

i heard it was great, but i can never bring myself to play "fuccboi and the teenage trope troupe kill god" simulators.

i was really excited to hear that that XCX would have character creation and a big cast of companions.

you can imagine my disgust with the final product. what a complete mess
>>
>>337004318
>Thinks Melia not being an inbred pureblood hick scum like her stuck up race part was filler

Someone didn't get to the end
>>
>>336999105
As if being 30 and retarded are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>337004994
You only played like 10 JRPGs in your life tho
>>
>>337005665
What would make you think that?
I mostly play JRPGs, including all of the Xeno games, Final Fantasy, Etrian Odyssey, Suikoden, most of the SNES JRPGs, Atelier series, Nier, Souls (if those count), Dragon Quest, Tales series, SMT series, Breath of Fire, and a whole load of DS JRPGs that I'm forgetting.

Not that this really matters considering we're anonymous and all.
>>
>>337005898
>he hasn't played Linda
Garbage taste.
>>
It has its share of problems but it's still the best JRPG of seventh gen if not of all time
>>
If it weren't for the combat I would agree, but it unfortunately bogged down the experience considerably for me.
>>
>>337005898
out of personal curiosity, what did you think of Radiant Historia?
>>
File: 1328572777029.jpg (491 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1328572777029.jpg
491 KB, 1920x1080
>This game is DA BES EVUR! XD
>NO ITS NOT. HAVE SOME BUZZWORDS BECAUSE YOU BEING SO ABSOLUTE ABOUT IT MAKES ME MAD

Another day in /v/. Mind you, OP is just as much of a homo as you contrarians. Game is great btw.
>>
File: 1461445943829.jpg (359 KB, 1700x2400) Image search: [Google]
1461445943829.jpg
359 KB, 1700x2400
It's a shame for Xenoblade, Atlus will release the true king in September.
>>
>>337004173
I haven't played it but wasn't disc 2 supposed to be complete garbage?
>>
>>337003491
When will you guys stop with the Nier was actually good meme?

> baka sempai n_u !* th... thE music is actually good!111!!1

No stop the game was shit And music cant make it better, this aint fucking guitar hero
>>
>>336999105
>This is probably the best JRPG ever made
Yeah, thats what nintenbabbies parroted the whole last gen, but its not even close to being true. Its just that you guys have so little games that your opinion cant be taken seriously, well that and you are raging fanboys.
>>
File: 1462394457984.png (65 KB, 211x202) Image search: [Google]
1462394457984.png
65 KB, 211x202
>>337006561
You're also supposed to jump off a cliff if I told you so. Go, there's still time.
>>
>>337004647
People (not nintencucks) actually played that piece of shit. Same thing happened with RE: Revelations.
>>
>>337006640
It was good though. Too different to compare with xbc like that faggot did.
>>
How does it compares to Trails in the Sky?

JRPG combat mechanic are bottom of the barrel boredom tier. But TitS plot was kind of entertaining.
>>
The only people who would disagree that Xenoblade, Tales of Vesperia, and TWEWY are the best JRPGs of 7th gen are /jrpgg/ tryhard retards who believe Neptunia and #FE are the pinnacles of the genre
>>
>>337004547
I thought this too at first, but that shit is missing pretty much all the cool little effects the maps have. Did they ever fix that? High res Xenoblade is nice, but the effects add so much, it was lifeless when I tried it on emulator.
>>
>>337006891
Play another genre altogether, its not for you.
>>
The good
>music is excellent
>beautiful world to explore with areas that feel connected to each other
>unique combat system with a lot of complexity, for better or for worse
>likeable cast of characters that receive their development through side missions and heart to hearts as not to interrupt the flow of the main quest for the most part
>story actually subverts tropes despite what people say. The mascot character is a middle aged father of eleven being forced to join your group to repay his debt to his village. The tsundere princess character loses the love war to the childhood friend. The wise mentor character says he'll join the party later, and actually doesn't die. I could continue

The bad
>the side quests aren't really fun. You're more often than not consulting the wiki for the best place to farm X enemy or collectible 8 times
>as I mentioned above the combat is really complex, and it's possible you'll finish your first playthrough without fully understanding all of the systems in place. There's a lot to it, and it really isn't adequately explained in game. Again, you'll find yourself consulting the wiki a lot
>after prison island you go through like 100 mechonis areas that all look exactly the same and it's boring as fuck
>the game uses level as a stat. You can't hit enemies like 6 levels above you without knowing what you're doing and using certain setups.

Game is a solid 9 despite all that
>>
File: GeniusOfSappheirosCover.png (219 KB, 270x381) Image search: [Google]
GeniusOfSappheirosCover.png
219 KB, 270x381
>>336999105
it wasn't even the best RPG of its year.
>>
>>337006959
Lost Odyssey was the best.
>>
>>337002484
Dolphin takes this game from eye rape to comfy and enjoyable. Would recommend.
>>
>>337007050
kusogame
>>
>>337007313
kusuyaro
>>
Do you know what the tension stat is? How you make it raise or fall during battle, what it effects, and why certain moves depend on it? And what the changes in your character portraits mean during battle? What those B button quick time events during battle actually do? How the agility stat works? What abilities actually scale with ether? Did you know you can only have one active aura at a time? Did you know that the "auto attack damage" stat is actually a lie, and that your auto attacks can only deal their minimum damage plus 99 provided that this value is less than the maximum?

A lot of things are inadequately explained in this game.
>>
>>336999105
>Guys I'm 30! This makes my opinion stronger and intelligent! I swear!

So immature.
>>
Friendship and destiny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsOsilNOmD4
>>
>>337005042
>i was really excited to hear that that XCX would have character creation and a big cast of companions.

>you can imagine my disgust with the final product. what a complete mess

At least the story going to shit gives you reason to barely ever do story missions and instead focus on exploring. I had a lot more fun when I ignored the story chapters in X.
>>
>>336999105

It has flaws, which means it's not as good as Chrono Trigger. But it's certainly up there.

Sadly there's now a bunch of babbies who didn't play it when it was new and don't like it because muh bad graphics or because they have played too many open world games since every game is open world nowadays and aren't interested in exploration anymore.

It's especially sad to see all the underage Xenoblade X fans come out of the woodwork as they play the first one and hate it. I thought X was great but it's certainly not the better game.
>>
>>337007709
Agility just improves your dodging and all I know is that Sharla's healing improves with Ether. Everything else is a mystery
>>
>>337004318
What's wrong with the nopon village? Shit was comfy
>>
>>336999105
The game itself is pretty mediocre, if it wasn't for the good soundtrack the gameplay sections would lead you to suicide.
Also more endearing than the shitty MMO quests is actually finding them, NPCs with day/night cycles and routines are all good and all but without a marker on the map and a list of what's aviable, unless you're using a guid you're going to lose endless hours going up and down the map looking for ! and ? on the mini-map.
Honestly the only thing great about the game were the direction during the cutscenes, part of the voice acting and the script in general.
Even the plot itself is predictable and boring jrpg shit.
>>
>>337006391
I really enjoyed Radiant Historia.
I think the story was excellent despite some very generic characters. The time-travel is pretty well done.
I really liked the battle system while playing, but got a bit bored of it towards the end. I don't really have any particular complaints on the battle-system, but I don't really have much interest in experimenting around in it compared to other JRPGs.

What about you?
>>
>>337008105
Agility also determines your accuracy
>>
>>337007709
On top of this, the locations of literally any collectible or drop is up to you to figure out. Yeah, I need three pairs of thick brog pubes, from which brog species? There's like 200 of them and the item only has a 20% chance to drop in the first place. Fuck you game.
>>
>>337006878
>Too different to compare

They are both JRPGs with an open world you fucking cuck, if you are scared of comparisons between a good game and a piece of shit maybe you should kill yourself instead of wasting our oxygen.
>>
>get to Inside Bionis
>fight attacksponge enemies
>disciple lorithia comes out of nowhere

Fuck that boss fight. The only reason I'll never beat Xenoblade.
>>
>>337004318

>talking shit about nopon village

holy fucking shit go die
>>
>>337008960
You were about 2 hours from the ending

All you have to do to beat lorithia is use melia, she has super high physical defence and almost no ether defence
>>
File: drakengard-3-logo[1].jpg (66 KB, 900x480) Image search: [Google]
drakengard-3-logo[1].jpg
66 KB, 900x480
>story is about you killing shit because yes
>go from point A to point B killing everything
>badass music
>sex innuendos, swears, blood, 4th wall breaking self conscious characters that remind you it's just a fucking game, have fun bro
>funny shit everywhere for who has a sense of humour that goes beyond fart jokes
>enjoy the story in the meantime
>additional endings for who wants to know the truth and is ready to work his ass for it

More games should be made like this, it was literally perfect.
>>
>>336999105
>Can't say the same about X though
Despite X outdoing its predecessor in every single way besides narrative? I like XBC but I can safely disregard your ridiculous opinion.
>>
>>337009257
>it's just a game bro
>>
>>337009508

https://youtu.be/CmATHDXsbbI?t=72
>>
>>337009257
Too bad the actual gameplay is shit.
>>
>>337009613

>he doesn't like musou games
>>
>>337009603
that's actually pretty good desu.
>>
>>337004318
>gaur plains
Debateable. The main point of this and Colony 6 was to really drive home the "hidden" power of the monado and hatred of the face mechon. Was it absolutely necessary after the intro? No, but it did contribute SOMETHING to the plot

>Makna/Frontier Village
agreed, but Riki was actually a decent character especially with party banter and heart-to-hearts

>Eryth
agreed, but you really don't have to spend that much time here if you don't want to

>High Entia Tomb
Nigga please this is absolutely plot-critical, and it's not even that long either, based on this point alone you sound like a shitposter

>Fallen Arm
Same as above. You get Seven and finally learn the truth behind the Mechonis, also Junks serves as a pseudo-airship and is pivotal in the final confrontation. I honestly don't know what to tell you if you think this is filler.
>>
it's overrated because it was the only jrpg on the wii
and nintendrones tend to overrate everything thats on their system
>>
>>336999105
it would be really good if the combat wasn't autopilot shit
>>
>>337010017

this tbqhwyf

pandora's tower was much better
>>
>>337007709
>How the agility stat works?
You mean the one that breaks the game by letting you dodge all attacks?

seriously you need to do a __Fiora__ agi-tank build, it's god-tier
>>
Nintendrones overrate everything nintendo exclusive.

When people said ZombiU was the best zombie game ever made i couldnt hold my laughter for 2 hrs straight
>>
>>337010287
>When people said ZombiU was the best zombie game ever made

Well when it came out on PC I played it and it was fairly decent compared to stupid shit like dead island.
>>
>>337009257
>I play games for the story
lol
>>
>>337010287
"good zombie game" is an oxymoron
>>
>>337010710
Zombies were ruined the moment every zombie story made psuedo-science virii that raise the dead, instead of just having it be voodoo magic or a curse like it's fucking supposed to be.
>>
is it ACTUALLY good or is this typical /v/ hyperbole?
>>
>>337013549
It's good but it's not mindblowing. You'll play it and enjoy the story but fuck if there aren't some major annoyances. Side quests are absolute rubbish and you're practically required to take on at least a few if you want your level to remain high enough to carry on with the story. The run speed is also nigh on unbearable making exploration a real chore.

It's worth a run for the setting and story alone, there aren't any other games that take place on the bodies of two gods, but it's far from perfect.
>>
>>337009158
i had trouble until i decided to take an hour to change everything on my characters. i love the amount of creativity this game lets you have.

i turned reyn into a god-tank instead of the warrior build i had, made sharla my healing bitch again after running a jank headshot build with her, and of course used melia to spam lightning bolts.

went from an impossible boss fight to an almost too easy one.
>>
>>337013549
its mediocre.
>>
>>337013797
>The run speed is also nigh on unbearable making exploration a real chore.

This is especially noticeable when you play after playing Xenoblade X. The movement in X was a lot better.

I'd also say that people play for the cutscenes and music, in addition to the setting and story. Personally I'm fond of the Alvis cutscene at the start of Makna, as well as the cutscenes at Valak and the end of Sword Valley.
>>
>>337015336
but the cutscene and the story was dogshit

the only good thing about it was the landscape really
i fucking love it
>>
>>337006493
Persona is going to get destroyed by final fantasy xv, the best game of all time
>>
>>337010510

>"enjoy the story in the meantime" means you only care about the story
>>
File: 4f3.jpg (68 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
4f3.jpg
68 KB, 680x680
>>336999105
>shit combat
>shit side quest
>ok story

maybe you need to play more JRPG.
any SMT games are better than this garbage.
>>
>>337015661
>2000+16
>still play Final Fantasy

XV will be truest Final Fantasy because it will be the last one.
>>
>>337007985
>Everyone that complains about [X] must be a fan of [Y]!

You're why /v/ has gone to shit.
>>
File: FF27-Poster-Closeup.jpg (64 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
FF27-Poster-Closeup.jpg
64 KB, 960x540
>>337017447
>implying
>>
I like it but my completionist autism doesn't let me enjoy it that much because most of the side quests are shit, remembering the name and where the fuck are certain npcs to report back the quests is a pain, same as trying to find certain monsters or bosses that only appear when there is a certain weather event. also you can't even sprint in this game

I honestly enjoyed Xenoblade X a lot more
>>
>>337004929
Ever since X
>>
>>336999105
>Cant say the same about X though

Why? It took everything about the original Xenoblade's gameplay, worldbuilding, and mechanics and objectively expanded upon them to make a much better game.

You can say whatever you want about the story, but in the end X is objectively (in the truest sense of the word, not the meme sense), the better game.

However I liked X's story more. Generic shonen anime plots don't appeal to me and I enjoy mecha stuff much more.
>>
>>337022315
making the game more difficult and the world more crammed doesn't make it better
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (49 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
49 KB, 384x384
Gears was better
>>
>>337022315
>However I liked X's story more. Generic shonen anime plots don't appeal to me and I enjoy mecha stuff much more.

This. xenoblade's plot was such a fucking disappointment because I was expecting a mech-game since I was a massive fan of xenogears and xenosaga. the "mechs" in xenoblade just feel like a side thing. you could replace the mechon with any other generic JRPG baddie and still get the same plot.
>>
>>337022497
This.
Nothing will top Gears.
>>
>>337022315
X's plot was an interesting story done poorly.

the original's plot was a generic story done very well.

But, like you said, X was significantly better in literally every single way besides story/plot/writing. So in the end X is a better game, even though it is not as memorable.

I feel bad about these nintendo systems holding the grand ambitions of monolith devs back. Both games look like ass because the hardware can't handle them.
>>
>>336999105
It's very good, but it isn't even the best Monolith Soft game, Xenogears and XCX were better.
>>
>>337022928
Why doesn't Monolith switch to Sony then?
>>
>>337006835
you don't know what cuck means
>>
>>337022928
X's plot was more focused into the worldbuilding and characters rather than the main plot. There was a lot more interesting things going on on the side IMO.

>>337023031
Monolith won't switch to Sony because Sony fucked Takahashi so many times in the past. Nintendo is the only company that is letting Takahashi do what he wants to do.

Xenogears was meant to be a 3 part trilogy until Sony said no, which is why the second party of Xenogears is so rushed. Xenosaga was meant to be a 6 parter but Sony told Takahashi to fuck off. Takahashi got severely depressed and was about to drop off the face of the industry until nintendo gave him a chance and let him do what he want without giving him constraints.
>>
>>337023242
second part*
>>
>>337023242
>>337023338
>second part
Xenogears was only one game.
>>
>>337023430
I'm talking about the second disc.
>>
>>337023031
>Why doesn't Monolith switch to Sony then?

Because right now Nintendo owns a majority share of them, so Monolith literally cannot switch to Sony. Nintendo bought monolith out.
>>
>>337023242
>X's plot was more focused into the worldbuilding and characters rather than the main plot. There was a lot more interesting things going on on the side IMO.

I absolutely agree, but the main plot suffered so much as a result of this that the ending feels even worse than MGSV.
>>
>>337023693
The main plot actually wasn't bad by any means, a lot of holes were left open because it's pretty plausible that Takahashi wants to turn Xenoblade X into a trilogy based on what he's done in the past.
>>
Why can't we have a game that's

>Gears plot, pacing, and character development
>Xs combat, world, mechs, exploration, and side quests
>Xenosagas OST

Like seriously. If the next game isn't a combination of these elements it's wasted potential. Every time Takahashi and MS improve one aspect they let the other parts suffer, come the fuck on guys
>>
>>337023242
You're thinking of Square and Bamco, not Sony.
>>
>>337023873
Well if he turns it into a trilogy then I am 100% on board. The issue is that he straight up said in Interviews that X was just a test run of HD development for the team, that they didn't really focus on the story, and that his next game he wants to do something new and separate from X.
>>
is it worth it getting it on 3DS?
>>
>>337023873
>tfw Xenoblade Y and Z
Hype.
>>
>>337024020
He also straight up said that the original Xenoblade was also a test to try out mechanics, and see if Nintendo was trustworthy before he got invested in a series.

Based on what he's said in the past and now, I'm expecting if there is a new Xeno____ game, it will probably be a continuation of Xenoblade X's plot but with a different approach to gameplay and storytelling.

It's pretty obvious with how they left so many things open and unanswered that Takahashi's very interested in expanding upon the story, but he also said his next big RPG will also be more of a traditional JRPG with a focus on story.

Xenoblade Y (assuming it's called that), could be a traditional JRPG that continues where Xenoblade X's plot left off.

It's also pretty much confirmed that the landmasses you play on in Mira isn't the entire planet, there's a brief mention of a Neo-Tokyo and a neo-something else elsewhere on Mira.
>>
>>337023242
Sony had no part in why Xenogears wasn't what Takahashi wanted it to be. Square needed the team to work on FF8 rather then Xeno.
>>
>>337024349
are you sure that neo-tokyo and the other city are on mira? the white whale only carried one city in the cutscene, and I don't think that they specifically said neo-tokyo was on mira, they just hinted at its existence

neo-tokyo's probably on another ship that crashed on a different planet.
>>
>>337024009
This sounds more plausible, Sony actually has a pretty good track record of letting off-the-wall devs do whatever, honestly they could stand to get more involved imo
>>
>>337006561
Yes. The first half of the game is good and the second half is shit, making it mediocre overall.
>>
>>337004401
If you prefer watching slideshows to playing video games :^)
>>
>>337004728
>Then again, I didn't get many Heart-to-Hearts so maybe I missed out on some stuff there.

Unfortunately, yes, you did. Lotta good stuff in there, especially at the end.
>>
>>337024690
I think Sony are pretty much winding down their internal studios in favour of funding exclusivity, they're too expensive. They've shut down a lot the last ten years.
>>
>>336999105

It had probably the worst game play of any JRPG ever.
>>
File: comfy.jpg (49 KB, 524x700) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
49 KB, 524x700
>A comfy xenoblade thread where people are discussing both games instead of throwing shit at eachother
Nice.
Post your favorite tracks from both games lad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCHt8Eaesyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6sm6Zld3nE
>>
>>337022315
The world was more crammed, yes, but despite all the fluff I found X way less satisfying to play. You just clicj the glowing icon and win, and there's so much superfluous stuff that in the grand scheme of things nothing's really that important.

Sorry for being vague I don't really know hot o describe it, it's just so overbloated that you can just mash shit and win.
>>
>>337022928
>I feel bad about these nintendo systems holding the grand ambitions of monolith devs back. Both games look like ass because the hardware can't handle them.
You're not realising that Xenoblade simply would not have happened on the PS3/360.

They wouldn't have bene able to make such a large world with the two gods concept and have it look like a standard PS3/360 game. It's less about what the system can do and more what would look acceptable on what system.
>>
File: Xenoblade_worship.jpg (121 KB, 648x767) Image search: [Google]
Xenoblade_worship.jpg
121 KB, 648x767
>>337009282
That music tho.

Seriously, the music is X is atrocious and divisive at best. No one has, or ever will, argue that Chronicles had shit music because it genuinely was god-tier.
>>
>>337024539
Don't remember that. There was mention of a possible french colony that made it to another planet IIRC
>>
File: Opoona.jpg (88 KB, 256x360) Image search: [Google]
Opoona.jpg
88 KB, 256x360
Not even the best JRPG on the system.

If there's an arthouse for video games then this is the mould.
>>
>>337025274
In the original Xenoblade you can pretty much stunlock and chainattack almost anything and win.

Both games had their flaws that made battles ridiculously easy when you cheesed them.
>>
>>337007085
It was way too dull and generic. The short stories were great to read though. It's probably the only game with additional optional text that you really really want to read when there's an opportunity. It's funny how massively the writing of the main scenario contrasted with the short stories, the latter being skillfully written by some famous award-winning writer and the former written by some hack.

Also the gameplay sucked. It had that problem of every enemy having way too much HP but doing very little damage so battles lasted a long time for no reason. Combined with the slow animations for skills, you're left with extremely boring battles. It also lacked any challenge whatsoever because of the auto-res mechanic meaning that even if a character died you could just ignore it and wait for the char to res a few turns later.

The only reason the game gets praised is because it came out at a similar time to FF13 and people compare the two. LO is almost completely unremarkable but it was an honest attempt to make a traditional style JRPG during a time when that style of game was unpopular. FF13 tried lots of new things, gameplay and structure wise, but alienated fans of traditional JRPGs. The people who rejected FF13 are probably the ones who put LO on a pedestal for no reason other than it's a good example of what FF13 could have been had the developers taken the opposite direction.
>>
>>337025396
Right, because massive open world/massive scale games can't be done on a PS3 or 360?

There are plenty.
>>
>>337025251
>1:45 in cauldros theme

it's so fucking good
>>
>>336999105
>im 30
>own nintendo console
>praising nintendo games
Do you watch MLP too?
>>
>>337025435
Most of the music in XC is forgettable generic fantasy-RPG acoustic stuff. It has memorable battle themes and a couple good field songs, and that's it.

XCX's soundtrack is certainly divisive, and I actively dislike half of it, but the other half is glorious and very memorable. It gives the game an impactful aural character that XC lacked.

Some songs in XCX's soundtrack also seem to call back to Mitsuda's style, IMO, which ties it neatly back to Gears and Saga.
>>
File: Sylvalum screenshot.jpg (486 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Sylvalum screenshot.jpg
486 KB, 1280x720
>>337025840
The bells make that great.

Xenoblade X may have had its fair share of laughable tracks but it had some really GOAT tracks too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trQc33hIreQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2xDbnK65cc
>>
>>337025251
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGw5kwHl_LU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkHmZ0tKKww
>>
>>336999105
I agree.
>>
>>337025826
Monolithsoft had never made an HD game before Xenoblade X, and they're best known as a studio that can never finish what they start. Both Xenoblade games have been kind of baby steps toward something greater.

They would not have pulled off XC on the PS3/360 with it actually looking like a PS3/360 game.
>>
>>337023242
>B-BUT SONY

every time.
>>
File: SX4P01-7_1.jpg (973 KB, 1920x2781) Image search: [Google]
SX4P01-7_1.jpg
973 KB, 1920x2781
>>337025251
>A comfy xenoblade thread where people are discussing both games instead of throwing shit at eachother

I fucking wish, the days of peaceful xenoblade threads are gone now after x got released in japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZyHLLQ5e8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_os7Y-4Xz_4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18uJPvyID_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00mcJhWhLGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yecFbj06jI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd0PbyrG6H4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhsDSyTw7pk
>>
>>337026287
>They would not have pulled off XC on the PS3/360 with it actually looking like a PS3/360 game.
guess how most nep games looked

the sole single reason xenoblade was on the wii because nintendo owns monolith, not because some BUT SONY conspiracy
>>
>>336999105
I just finished with the Mechon Base on the sword and fell down on some Islands

How much longer do I have
>>
>>337026705
>conspiracy

takahashi wants nothing to do with playstation anymore since most of the JRPG publishers on there are money hungry kikes who didn't like his ideas and forced him to change things.

takahashi accepted nintendo's offer because it was the only chance he had for him to get started on his dream game, and he's said plenty of times that nintendo's been more lenient and accepting of his ideas than square and bamco.
>>
>>337022861
>Nothing will top Gears.
I'm sure there's a joke waiting to be made, but I can't for the love of me make it.
>>
>>337026935
*tips tinfoil hat*

nintendo bought monolith stocks
now nintendo owns monolith

nothing to do with how a person feels
end of story
>>
>>337027063
>everything I disagree with is a conspiracy
>>
>tfw she will never genuinely smile again
>>
>>337026876
You're 75% probably
>>
>>337027180
>a sole single person can decide a public company business direction

literally get back to school
>>
>>336999105
It isn't the best but it is up there on the list of must play JRPGs.

>>337006979
I know they got Satorl Marsh working partially except you need a beast of a machine to get the effects right and have decent speed.
>>
File: STOP.png (163 KB, 293x282) Image search: [Google]
STOP.png
163 KB, 293x282
>>337027063
How retarded are you? It's the truth. Takahashi got screwed over and raped by Square and Bamco plenty of times in the past, and was about to drop out of the industry until Nintendo threw him a bone. It's not some bullshit theory or conspiracy. He's told this story plenty of times.
>>
>>337026876

Are you enjoying it, anon?
>>
>>336999105
Except for story and gameplay, of course. Gameplay god very dull very fast, and story started off interesting but went to absolute shit just a few hours in, turning into ordinary 90s anime nonsense that is far too randomly fantastical for its own good.
>>
>>337009257
It was shit with forgettable music, bad gameplay, and a shitty story that's only hook is the main character's motivation which is just arbitrarily not told to you while absolutely nothing about her plan or what she says she's going to do at the start changes.
>>
>>337027328
i bet you don't even know how nintendo got hold of the majority of monolith shares
>>
>>337027289
She'll get her revenge by fucking Shulk and Fiora's descendants.
>>
>Nintendo stole yet another company from Sony.
>>
File: smug triangle.png (26 KB, 311x262) Image search: [Google]
smug triangle.png
26 KB, 311x262
>>337027478
Yes I do, go back to strawmanning and crying that everybody except you wears tinfoil hats though.
>>
>>337027403
>turning into ordinary 90s anime nonsense that is far too randomly fantastical for its own good.

Story writer did anime before XBC. Though I think the general consensus on story is Dull up until Makna, Peaks at Prison Island, and goes brain dead after Meyneth Dies in Mechonis Core
>>
>>337027590
holy shit you are fucking retarded
like for real

takahashi didn't and still don't even own 10% of the company's share
>>
>>337027397
Yes, I wish it had better balance though.

I did all of the side quests I could find and was overleveled for a large part of the game.

Most fun I'm having is when I fight random unique monsters since they're a challenge, none of the story battles were really challenging

Great soundtrack and I love the vastness of the world, very impressive
>>
>>337027684
>takahashi didn't and still don't even own 10% of the company's share

I never implied he did own much of the company's share. Go back to assuming things.

Nintendo bought Monolith Soft from Namco, but Takahashi's also expressed that this was a blessing in the sense that he was about to drop out of industry because he felt that he wasn't being given the resources or permission to do what he wants with Namco, but Nintendo's giving him all the resources and the go-ahead to do whatever he wants.
>>
Great game. Suffers from some pretty severe pacing issues towards the later sections though. It's blatantly obvious they ran out of time after Valak Mountain. An increase in difficulty would have been welcome as well; I know the Japs are testy about this but the combat becomes a chore once you realize you don't have to think about managing your party at all.

Definitely a case study in how much of an impact an engaging setting can have on a game.
>>
File: radiata22.jpg (447 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
radiata22.jpg
447 KB, 1024x768
get on this level
>>
So is Baten Kaitos a Nintendo IP or a Namco IP?
>>
>>337023693
I don't get what's wrong with the ending. I feel like that's just a meme that went out of control, the ending gives resolution to the game's conflict and reaches the overarching goal without making things too perfect and leaves you with a world that could be expanded on with sequels without a need for it.
>>
>>337027920
And that has nothing to do with why monolith doesn't make games for playstation.

Monolith is owned by nintendo, that's why they don't make games for playstation. Period. End of story.
Nothing to do with how his feelings are hurt.

You are moving goalposts now.
Holy fucking child, why do I even reply to you anymore I don't even know.

Good day, have fun with your conspiracy theory bullshit.
>>
>>337028031
It doesn't give resolution to anything. I mean the last line in the game is Elma wondering what the fuck is going on
>>
File: roguegalaxy12.png (355 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
roguegalaxy12.png
355 KB, 500x300
>rogue galaxy released on psn
>only for ps4

goddammit
>>
>>337028163
You seem ridiculously mad for nearly no reason at all.

I never said it had nothing to do with feelings. Monolith itself doesn't really belong to Takahashi as much as it belongs to Nintendo. I'm talking about Takahashi as an individual person here, not about his company.

He's expressed that he'll never go back to playstation. That doesn't mean Monolith never will. If Monolith does that just means he's probably going to drop out.

Go back to throwing angry temper tantrums for literally no reason though. Everybody that disagrees with you is an evil reptilian ayy lmao that believes in conspiracy theories.
>>
>>337028460
I never said it had to do with feelings*
>>
>>337028196
I didn't realize defeating the antagonist force and acquiring the means to secure a future for your species weren't a resolution.
>>
>>336999105
should i buy this? I was thinking about getting it on 3ds
>>
File: What the fuck am I reading.jpg (42 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
What the fuck am I reading.jpg
42 KB, 400x400
>>337028163
you're such a fucking faggot holy shit
>>
>>337028698
If you have a decent PC emulate it
If you don't have a PC but have a Wii U get the eshop version
The 3DS version while nice suffers from crappy screen resolution for battles and cutscenes
>>
>>336999105
Literally an offline MMO with a million irrelevant quests and repetitive combat.The music is nice. That's about it.
>>
File: 1414244786825.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1414244786825.jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
>>336999105
Reyn and Dunban were great bros.

Dunban is just a cool motherfucker in general.
>>
File: 1433781282432.png (2 MB, 1782x996) Image search: [Google]
1433781282432.png
2 MB, 1782x996
Regardless of how I feel about the gameplay, Xenoblade had fantastic music and art direction.
>>
>>337025715
>It had that problem of every enemy having way too much HP but doing very little damage so battles lasted a long time for no reason
No. You're either terrible at the game or failed to comprehend certain combat and character progression mechanics. The only problem with pacing in combat was initially the loading times, which were the greatly reduced once game installation was introduced in an update.
>>
>>337029776
>those sword textures

yeesh
>>
has there ever been a JRPG that didn't have totally shitty gameplay?

the answer is no, before you reply with some shitty game as if you have any taste at all.
>>
File: icon01_zero01.png (259 KB, 499x429) Image search: [Google]
icon01_zero01.png
259 KB, 499x429
>>337027448

bitch please you can figure out her motives halfway through the first playthrough unless you are mentally damaged and can't connect the flower to the queen beast
>>
>>337009257
>sex innuendos, swears, blood, 4th wall breaking self conscious characters
Whooooaaa epic bro
>funny
No
>>
>>337027590

holy fuck I haven't seen smug triangle in years
>>
>>337031150

>no counterarguments what so ever

you sure showed him lmao
>>
>>337031564
There was no argument in the first place, just "it's funny" and "there's swearing".

DG3 is not funny, every attempt to be funny is horrible and falls flat on its face, that fact that he says "a sense of humour that goes beyond fart jokes" makes me thing the post is a joke, considering the game's piss, sex, and whooaa swears humour that litters the game.

Swearing, innuendos and blood aren't positives in and of themselves. Considering them just being there to be a major positive is fucking retarded and 12 year old logic.
>>
>>337000780
Nothing in this thread is as rage inducing as a pedant who can't follow the present perfect continuous. Get good, grammar fuckup.
>>
>>337009257
>it's just a fucking game, have fun bro
That's fucking retarded because the game doesn't abide by this shit. The gameplay is not fun at all and plays like ass, sometimes running in the single digit FPS and part of the game's overarching themes is murder presented not in a fun way but in a horrifying one.

This whole post reads like a satire.
Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.