[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /v/'s thoughts on Project M? Downloaded it a few
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 35
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 280x92) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 280x92
What are /v/'s thoughts on Project M? Downloaded it a few weeks ago on Dolphin and it's pretty damn fun in my opinion. Love the combo of Melee and Brawl physics. Don't know if I'll bother with net play though.
>>
>>336953047
It will pretty much be the best Smash for the foreseeable future gameplay wise (some recent tournaments have super good character diversity, and yes, it is damn fun). Check out the Wavedash Games project because it's the closest thing we'll get to a successor to PM; worth mentioning that a few PM devs are involved but I wouldn't put too much weight on that.
>>
File: 1450834250702.gif (693 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1450834250702.gif
693 KB, 500x375
you're a year too late
>>
>>336953319
I haven't heard of that but I'll look into. I thing I did see is "Legacy 1.3", which is just basically more added shit like songs, stages, new layout, and better textures on what's already there. Looks really good.
>>336953367
I know, just never bothered with it. Better late than never right?
>>
>>336953616
Well here's the blog post with a summary of their AMA. It's a quick way to get caught up with what they have in mind. I think their balance philosophy is in the right place, especially since they are starting the characters from scratch.
http://www.wavedash.com/blog/2016/4/18/what-we-learned-from-the-wavedash-ama
>>
>>336953047
>What are /v/'s thoughts on Project M?
Dead.
>>
>>336954097
It's only really dead if people stop playing it. People still play Super Metroid and retro games in general.

The development is what's dead.
>>
>>336953904
Looks cool, but it'll be rad if a IP can jump in with their characters. Having so many controller options is gonna be good too.
>>
>>336954274
What, like guest characters? If handled well, yeah. We never got Shantae in Smash.
>>
Why not netplay, OP?
>>
>>336953047
I still like it even after development for it stopped. I mostly play around with the 3.6 Community Complete version. I did like how it started to be its own thing near the end of its development with the game modes and mechanics added.
>>
>>336954768
Seems like a lot of effort to get working and I don't know if there will be anyone to connect with. I know /v/ doesn't.
>>
>>336955129
/v/ has weekly Friday PM tournaments, excluding last Friday because it was 64 then. For about 4 weeks prior we've had PM though.
>A lot of effort
You literally just download a netplay branch for Dolphin, and apply the "netplay" version of PM to Brawl. All together it's a 5 minute process at absolute maximum.
>>
Didn't a new team picked it up?
>>
>>336955570
there was a "new PMDT" shortly after the ending was announced, but that was shot down pretty quickly when the leader was warned by the former PMDT not to do it. Other than that there's the community complete project, but I'm not sure if it's still going.
>>
I need to set online up.
>>
>>336955396
>Friday PM Netplay Tournaments

oh my god
too bad I'm yuropean
>>
>>336954261
>The development is what's dead.

Which is why it will eventually fade into obscurity. Every major "update" to PM drastically altered the balance of certain characters, while deliberately keeping the devs' personal favorites (i.e. shitters like Lucario) in the higher tiers. With no more development, there will be no way of applying balance changes or community feedback, and so it will forever remain in a state of half-completion.

Not to mention half the reason people even followed it in the first place was in hopes the PM team would put in popular characters that didn't get included in the Brawl/Sm4sh roster. Unfortunately, their taste in characters was even worse than Sakurai (reminder they wanted ANOTHER Fire Emblem character, and they didn't even have the skill to make a new character from scratch unless they could Frankenstein an existing Assist Trophy).
>>
>>336953047
It's perfect only for casual fun and only that.
>>
File: Codec.gif (150 KB, 106x196) Image search: [Google]
Codec.gif
150 KB, 106x196
>>336956043

The Community Complete Project?
>>
>>336956434
I'll need a minute to write a post long enough to explain why this is dumb.
>>
>>336953047
Feels great to play, characters are fun and custom music is a welcome addition to any game. Turbo mode is fun and stamina mode with modified blast zones is kekworthy.

But anytime I play it, despite liking how it plays more than smash 4 in almost every way, I can't help but want to play smash 4 instead.

when's smash 4 PM
>>
>>336953047
Im so glad this piece of shit got canned. The threads are so much fewer now.
>>
>>336956982

What kind of threads you want on /v/, Anon?
>>
>>336956434
>>336956669

>Every major "update" to PM drastically altered the balance of certain characters, while deliberately keeping the devs' personal favorites (i.e. shitters like Lucario) in the higher tiers.

I'm a Lucario player, and I've seen Lucario nerfed many times. Yes, Lucario stayed in high tier, but his being a high tier does not equal the being low tier of another character.

>With no more development, there will be no way of applying balance changes or community feedback, and so it will forever remain in a state of half-completion.

It's still better balanced than Melee, and Melee isn't dead.

>Not to mention half the reason people even followed it in the first place was in hopes the PM team would put in popular characters that didn't get included in the Brawl/Sm4sh roster.

Dude, I was playing since DEMO 1. I started playing before adding more characters was even an option. I just wanted a better version of Brawl, and even with the final version I got plenty. It might be easier to think the way you do if you started following the project 3.0 onward.

Unfortunately, their taste in characters was even worse than Sakurai (reminder they wanted ANOTHER Fire Emblem character, and they didn't even have the skill to make a new character from scratch unless they could Frankenstein an existing Assist Trophy).

For fuck's sake.
1.The PMDT was limited to the characters already present in Brawl in some form (eg assist trophy, trophy, sticker). They wanted to stick with characters already licensed for the game.

2.Lyn WAS made from scratch. The assist trophy model isn't good enough to use as a playable character since it's so low poly. The one they made is from scratch. They made a shit load of models from scratch.
3.They made the case that FE is a series that should be represented with more characters. That decision was made BEFORE Smash 4's full roster was revealed, not that it would matter since Lyn has a significantly different playstyle.
>>
>>336957232
forgot to put this in greentext:

>Unfortunately, their taste in characters was even worse than Sakurai (reminder they wanted ANOTHER Fire Emblem character, and they didn't even have the skill to make a new character from scratch unless they could Frankenstein an existing Assist Trophy).
>>
Its a lot of fun. More viable characters compared to Melee. I cried myself to sleep when Nintendo started coming down on it. Fuck Nintendo
>>
>>336957394
Nintendo didn't attack it other than banning people from Miiverse for mentioning it (even if they meant PM as in the time of day) and simply being a sponsor at tournaments, thus making tournament runners insist on keeping PM out of the venue. They never officially addressed it.
>>
>>336957180
Sm4sh threads
>>
>>336957551
Nintendo and Sega didn't give a shit as long as it's non-profit, Konami on the other hand...
>>
>>336957697
Yeah, the official twitter of Sonic actually approved of PM. I am aware of the rumor that Konami had something to do with PM's takedown, but I haven't seen evidence of it.
>>
I love it. Especially some of the other variations some fans make. I personally play Legacy a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYtQIJAbq1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJpBg0-Uo4Y
>>
>>336957697
>Konami sent a C&D just because of Snake

JUST
>>
>>336953047
It's fun, but sucks if when people keep choosing the more broken of the characters.
>>
>>336953047
Tons of fun, having so many characters be viable and fun to use is amazing and the fluid gameplay combined with its roster puts all of the other games to shame. Once me and my group of friends tried it we never went back to vanilla Brawl, and Sm4sh didn't stand much of a chance either.
>>
>>336953047
it would have stayed alive if they didn't keep trying to make project m its "own thing".
they even added a new announcer and theme song.
really the only reason anyone played it was because it was melee 2.0.

some changes to brawl newcomers were atrocious tho
>>
>>336958213
>really the only reason anyone played it was because it was melee 2.0.
>only reason anyone
speak for yourself.
>>
>>336958213
>>336958273
also it stopped because of legal reasons, not because that it tried to be its own thing.
>>
>>336958273
Why play it over any other mod if its not for the gameplay?

>>336958361
pm development stopped way before the team called it quits
smash 4 existing and nintendo killing it at apex were the major reasons
>>
>>336957863
I've been looking at it and looks damn good. Is it worth it?
>>
>>336959229
Nigga it's a free mod. Just download it and try it. Save your current build in a folder in your PC if you need to clear your SD card for it.
>>
>>336958969
I played it for the gameplay, but not just because it's a Melee 2.0. The project has eventually become its own thing, and the melee 2.0 label was dropped because the team felt that they didn't need that association, especially since melee purists decided to shit on it for no good reason. Also a lot of people got into it for the aesthetics.

>pm development stopped way before the team called it quits
smash 4 existing and nintendo killing it at apex were the major reasons

That is factually incorrect. The upcoming material (headband jigglypuff, awakening roy, new ZSS model, etc) was announced about a month or two before the cancellation was announced.
>>
>>336959446
damn, greentexting copy/pasted stuff isn't working well for me today.

>pm development stopped way before the team called it quits
>smash 4 existing and nintendo killing it at apex were the major reasons
>>
>>336958969
>>336959446
>>336959572
for reference, Apex 2015 was in late January-early February, and PMDT announced closing on December 2015.
>>
>>336959446
I'd hardly call skins someone made in their spare time as actual content. plus all of it was even in the september leaks

but the main point is the leaked knuckles vs lyn footage from a over year before sept build dropped shows very little was done on the mod since then
>>
Twitch banning PM was an even bigger loss than pretty much anything besides the outright shut down of it. Having no viewers limits new blood and interest, because it gives off the vibe of a game being "dead" even if it isn't. New people won't see it or care, anyone remotely interested will leave due to the above happening. PM still has a scene (My local one is pretty decent sized and active), but it has no tournament presence or widespread scenes.
>>
File: 1462696459982.gif (995 KB, 257x194) Image search: [Google]
1462696459982.gif
995 KB, 257x194
>>336953047
Project M is fucking amazing and I still find myself searching for new songs and shit to add to my build. PM is so polished and well made for a mod that it can honestly stand alone as its own unofficial Smash game.
The devs however proved to be gigantic fucking assholes when it died in December, and their cocksucking fanbase is even worse.
The best way to keep PM alive is through your local scene or on the occasional /v/ netplay thread.
>>
>>336960792
1)the whole mod was made on free time. plus we didn't even have to pay for it.
2)Not really. Lyn and Knuckles were just on the backburner while they were focusing on the rest of the game (balancing and bugfixes), which is certainly more important.
>>
>>336961286
Yeah the people who ran it forgot it was a mod and thought they were a development team of a actual game. When I saw Strongbad and other mods saying "you can't use our mods" I cringed.
>>
>>336960792
>>336961435
I mean it took them a long time just to get Ice Climbers (who were already playable in Brawl) working properly. Implementing two new characters on no budget is time consuming.
>>
>>336961437
I'm usually quick to defend the PMDT but I'll have to agree, StrongBad did make a hypocritical ass of himself by shaming people for using stuff without the original artists' permissions.
>>
>>336961286
I fucking love picking out songs for stages. Here's some recommendations for Fountain of Dreams because fucking nobody can pick good shit for that stage it seems, and it really needs something to replace all that Mario Bros stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgGD8QLZZyc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGGVWGJ0ZiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ZdLr4AY1g

And here's an often overlooked goodie to put on Bowser's Castle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbPqUDlnBM
>>
>>336960792
>>336961435
>>336961567
also most of the custom skins are new models, not just recolors of the default brawl models. they aren't that easy to make with actual high quality.
>>
>>336961771
I'm the same way. I jump to defending PM and PMDT's choices, even disbanding if they felt like they had legal issues, but when they started saying stupid shit like that it made it hard to defend them.
>>
>>336953047
>It's a dead game
>Melee is superior and will eventually reach e-sport status while PM continues to die
>sm4sh and future installments feature a more diverse roster and will continue to receive support from Nintendo in the competitive scene

Project m is slowly becoming more and more irrelevant,with it's remaining fans being the only thing extending its life. In the future it'll be seen as just another incomplete hack.
>>
>>336961437
>>336961771
I think that Nano faggot is worse. All he does is shitpost in the Discord chat for the Community Complete mod. Ironically, he's convinced a quite a few modders that it's unethical and harmful to modify other people's work.
>>
>>336962232
who were the members involved in that fiasco about publicly calling one of their members a shitty person or something in public on reddit? I know there was a lot of backstabbing towards the end.
>>
>>336962232
Shit is starting to sound like some MUGEN level shit.

I remember some motherfuckers for that shit being ultra touchy
>>
>>336962162
>sm4sh and future installments feature a more diverse roster and will continue to receive support from Nintendo in the competitive scene
God I can't wait for Smash 4 to eventually hit a moddable point like Brawl has now. But in the meantime, at least there's some cool projects going on like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS1Zod5R4NM
>>
>>336962337
Was that the guy who started the PMDT+ or whatever?
Honestly, he prob isn't wrong.
>>
>>336953047
I've been making PSAs for it recently. I still think it's the best Smash has ever been, but it's sad that they dropped it there are some people working on a build to finish what was leaked.
>>
>>336962620
No, they were all former PMDT members, but probably outside the Jedi council.
Yeah, here we go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/3v7wxs/i_would_like_to_make_an_apology/
>>
File: 1462632663450.jpg (289 KB, 1280x851) Image search: [Google]
1462632663450.jpg
289 KB, 1280x851
>>336962341
It gets way worse/autistic; The main developers are also the fucking admins of Smashboards, Brawl Vault, and an entire subreddit.
Because of this it is almost impossible to even discuss the leaked build anywhere besides good old /v/.
However it's been dead for too long so now we're lucky to get up to a 150 post thread.

>>336962337
Strongbad and Nano were always the source of drama. They were there for the original 4chan Knuckles leak back in 2014 and they were responsible for firing all the members in November and swiftly killing the project.
>>
>>336960378
Yeah, but Apex dropping it was pretty big. It was the first of many large tournaments to drop the game because of Nintendo's sponsorship, which later led to a bunch of other stuff happening for the game.
>>
>>336963018
So was the specific legal issue that caused the cancellation ever leaked? I just imagine that it has to be pretty damn big for them to quit just last year and not a long time ago. Also It's a shame Strongbad was a drama queen because he was supposed to be the one that breaks down bad logic or something.
>>
>>336963207
yeah. the final straw is the mystery though. things were looking bad for pm but the cancellation still felt very sudden.
>>336963249
>>
>>336955396
did they start back up?
>>
>>336963018
>>336963249
Belay my last, it was SOJ, not Strongbad.
SOJ was the colossal faggot responsible for all the drama and canning the project.

And to answer your question it's still a mystery. Some believe it was Konami, others say Nintendo. No one really knows. Whatever the reason, PM is dead and Knuckles and Lyn remain forever in Smash Purgatory.
>>
project m is amazing, but local scenes aren't really that active unless you live in a major region like socal
have noticed that pm has better players at their tournaments on average, so tournaments are worth travelling for
>>
Its alright.

I prefer Melee, but PM is fun in its own way.

I hate how Falco feels tho
>>
Pretty much my favorite Smash game, I'm considering going to a PM tourney on the 29th.
>>
>>336963407
Just recently, yeah. I haven't been able to enter so I don't know how successful they were, but they've been happening.
>>
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/the-real-reason-project-ms-developers-cancelled-the-smash-bros-mod-was-fear
So apparently M22K confirmed Nintendo didn't take legal action or threaten to, and neither did any other company. Some other event convinced them and a lawyer that legal action would head their way. This page also brings up the third party characters (mistake on their part, as Knuckles was the only third party character there) that Project M added

So PM added due to an action on the part of
Nintendo (owns Smash and all of its first party franchises)
Sega (Owns Sonic and Knuckles)
Konami (Owns Snake)

Nintendo did get PM out of EVO, and has shut down other fan projects such as the Zelda 1 remake. However even after SMM came out Lunar Magic exists and SMWcentral is still up. If Nintendo truly feared PM enough to sue then it would have happened the minute Smash 4 was announced or released
Sega is the least threatening thing here, as the recent opening of the Steam Workshop for Genesis classics shows they fully support fanmade content and even romhacks
Konami is run by satan himself but I'm not sure if evidence of this showed up around PM's cancellation.

All this aside I think it's asinine that Brawlvault bans the posting of leaked PM content, edited or not
>>
>>336956434
>Every major "update" to PM drastically altered the balance of certain characters, while deliberately keeping the devs' personal favorites (i.e. shitters like Lucario) in the higher tiers. With no more development, there will be no way of applying balance changes or community feedback, and so it will forever remain in a state of half-completion.
By that logic, Smash 4 is also dead since they stopped making patches for it.
>>
It's fun. I don't play it as much as I play Melee, but ROB is such a fun character to play as and the PM cast as a whole is pretty well balanced and fun. The only problem I have with the game is with half of the roster being gimmicky.
>>
>>336964331
well technically Dantarion is one of the main people behind brawlvault (iirc) so the PMDT would be entitled to do that, even if it may be dumb.
>>
>>336955129
>lot of effort
epic memeeme
>>
I really like PM.

Everyone's actually useful and the new modes coupled with the modding community really gives it great replay value.
>>
File: 1323136092831.jpg (662 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1323136092831.jpg
662 KB, 1000x1000
>>336953047
It was too good to be true.

>Knuckles and Lyn will never be tourney legal
>>
File: wario.jpg (42 KB, 507x313) Image search: [Google]
wario.jpg
42 KB, 507x313
>tfw regular smash games will never have characters that are as fun as Wario, ROB, Snake, Wolf, Roy, Ike, or Ganon
>>
>>336965278
just fuck my smash up famicom
>>
>>336965278
>smash 4 removed the shoulder bash
> sakurai claims shoulder bash was too hard to use
>PM's shoulder bash was good enough to be nerfed at least twice
>sakurai claims new stuff has to be added since the source material isn't enough
>pm wario has plenty of classic wario moves, and they work just fine
You can blame Sakurai for the not-authentic portrayal of Wario.
>>
>>336957180
He obviously means more console wars and Souls threads.
>>
>>336965278
I used to be huge on the bike in Sm4sh, but after playing so much of Wario in PM, I just can't go back to his "official" moveset anymore. The PM one feels so right. I can't say the same for others like Lucas though. It's just Wario I feel this way about.
>>
File: Super Wario World.png (214 KB, 900x789) Image search: [Google]
Super Wario World.png
214 KB, 900x789
>>336965603
>>336965724
PM Wario is perfect

fuck the bike and fuck the smash4/brawl moveset
>>
>>336965817
Yeah, Sakurai fucked up twice.
>>
File: 1447370591311.png (264 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
1447370591311.png
264 KB, 500x369
>>336965278
>tfw trying to convince some dude to play PM too
>He picks up Mario
>Pick Ganon
>Go all out with the wavelands, U-airs and choke techchases
>Land 2 sword dunks
>He ragequits and never plays again
I fucked up, but it was worth it at the time.
>>
>>336966028
He would quit anyways. No fun in playing somebody who isn't at least interested.
>>
pm was always fucking trash made by autists for autists and I'm glad it's dead forever
>the M doesn't stand for melee we swear
>we're a development team making a real legitimate game
>you're not allowed to use our work we stole from Nintendo
>let's add some shitty menu music and a faggy announcer wow look at how official we are
>let's make every character fucking braindead or floaty or boring as sin
>let's just make a shittier version of melee haha we're so cool look at us
>haha this shitty "video game lawyer" told us we're fucking retarded and gonna get sued we had no idea haha let's stop immediately and be the massive faggots we are to everyone haha
fucking good riddance
http://pastebin.com/9KNDK25u
>>
>Brawlvault has literally no good Ivysaur alts (the purple heart Ivysaur is a nice recolor though)
>PM died before they could make one

It's not fair, every other character has at least good alt.
>>
>>336966836
ZSS Didn't :^)
>>
>>336957871
just when one would think konami as a company couldn't sink any lower...

Why, oh why they could fucking care? are they really THAT desperate to erase their gaming legacy, that they are going after the mod makers of a succesful game in which they had a hand in making?
>>
>>336966308
are you the same guy who posts that you've reported mother 4 to nintendo every time one of those threads are up?

how is someone this autistic over a video game mod
>>
>>336966836
Has even less good alts for ROB. At least Ivysaur a semi popular character in the meta.
>>
File: eurobeat intensifies.gif (650 KB, 598x444) Image search: [Google]
eurobeat intensifies.gif
650 KB, 598x444
>>336964323
This is the best news Ive heard all day
>tfw in the months following the original tourneys Ive watched all of Initial D and downloaded 50GB of Eurobeat
goddamnit Rai what the fuck did you do to me
RUNNING IN THE 90'S
>>
>>336968505
I enjoy cars going fast, Initial D is basically mostly that right?
>>
File: 06.png (35 KB, 128x160) Image search: [Google]
06.png
35 KB, 128x160
>>336966836
>>336967337
I'm feeling nice today
I will take the first request for an ivysaur recolor and the first request for a ROB recolor. No promises on the CSPs or BPs unless you're fine with renders of pic related quality and poses that likely won't match your build of PM
>>
>>336968594
Not him but I watched some of it, and the camera angles and CG cars don't make it look like a fast car. But i've only seen a bit.
>>
>>336961860
OP here. How do you add music to Dolphin Project M? Still new to this shit. I'm giving Legacy 1.3 a shot but the music sucks ass and have plenty of personal options.
>>
>>336968728
I think if you are using the netplay build, you cannot. You need an ISO builder to do that.
>>
>>336968728
Don't bother if you're doing netplay.
If you're playing on a wii, look up brawl music manager. It makes it easy to add custom songs and song names.
>>
>>336968594
Yes, primarily downhill racing down mountain passes, with tons of drifting. That being said, >>336968673 is right in that it doesnt appear all that fast in motion, but the racing can still get pretty on edge sometimes, especially if you appreciate the eurobeat, since they tend to play it for the races or other important moments in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw-2EiWZ-QU

theres also some minor slice of life stuff between races but that isnt the important part, you watch it for the racing, honestly I jsut started watching it because the TO of the original /v/ netplays tourneys blasted tons of eurobeat mid stream.
>>
File: Burla_Donkey_Kong_SSBM.png (222 KB, 345x247) Image search: [Google]
Burla_Donkey_Kong_SSBM.png
222 KB, 345x247
I just get pissed when I play PM, honestly. Most of the smash playres at my college are PM tryhards, and I can't be bothered to git gud when I only give a shit about Melee.

Thanks for reading my blogpost
>>
>>336968638
Can you do a green and purple ROB a la Brainiac from the Marvel Universe?
>>
File: 150px-Potemkin_ex_p.gif (10 KB, 150x180) Image search: [Google]
150px-Potemkin_ex_p.gif
10 KB, 150x180
>>336968638
ROB with FAB colors, pls deliver.
>>
It was a cease and desist and they don't have the balls to say it?
>>
>>336969225
I'm actually in a similar situation. One of the players is way too competitive for his own good, and when a person begins to choose a stage, somebody ends up pressing the button that displays only the "legal" stages.
>>
File: 250px-650Chespin.png (49 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-650Chespin.png
49 KB, 250x250
>>336968638
A green and brown Ivysaur recolor like Chespin could be cool.
>>
File: 1461467729384.jpg (8 KB, 200x282) Image search: [Google]
1461467729384.jpg
8 KB, 200x282
Where did you guys get your brawl ISO from? I can't seem to find a good source for it without signing up for the site.
>>
>>336969313
>>336969808
These will happen
>>336969325
almost too cool to ignore. I'll do it if the first two prove to be really easy
>>
>>336970234
Piratebay, emuparadise.
>>
File: HmmTouche´.jpg (46 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
HmmTouche´.jpg
46 KB, 720x480
>>336964331
>http://www.gamnesia.com/news/the-real-reason-project-ms-developers-cancelled-the-smash-bros-mod-was-fear

>"The truth is that it has not been a responsive action, but a preventive one. Certain event (which, again, doesn't involve a company contacting the PMDT) made the members fear a legal problem if the project kept on. At some point, it was determined that, even just the fact of releasing the announced patch, PM 3.61, could involve negative actions that nobody in the team could afford at all.

The only thing I can think of was their game they were developing concurrently and the possible threat of Nintendo suing them for modding on their game while developing a product for sale that it's heavily inspired by the mod. Wavedash Games was already a thing while PM was in existence.

What infuriates me is that PM's team made out Nintendo to be as the ultimate villain when it would make no sense why they'd go through with this. It's be PR suicide.
>>
>>336970234
I'll help ya out buddy https://youtu.be/hthSYpFJFlI
>>
File: Cheers M8.png (476 KB, 757x837) Image search: [Google]
Cheers M8.png
476 KB, 757x837
>>336970372
>>336970416
Thanks
>>
Has anyone ported Smash 4 characters to PM? I want to see how they play in Melee physics.
>>
>>336970325
To be clear about >>336969313
is this the green and purple you meant?
http://classicmarvelforever.com/images/brainiac.gif
>>
>>336970765
Ryu, Cloud, Mega Man, I wanna say there's more
>>
>>336970765
Mega Man, Ryu and Little Mac have been ported so far but they're all really rough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAejJ55VbFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS1Zod5R4NM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCRsnmGD4Y
>>
File: redmario.jpg (57 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
redmario.jpg
57 KB, 640x360
>>336962458
A exploit for the Wii U came out and there's been bit of a boom in terms of Smash 4 modding,

I just figured out how to add more alt costumes without replacing old ones as seen in pic related, here's a guide. http://sm4shmods.com/forums/topic/add-new-costume-slots/
>>
>>336953367
If anyone makes a loss edit of this ill be very happy.
>>
>>336971036
I'd love to try Cloud. Is there a link to a guide for how to go about replacing characters?
>>
>>336970414
They, being the PMDT, were not, and are not developing a game on their own. A few of them are working as consultants and community leaders for Wavedash Games, but that only came after PM shut down.
>>
>>336968505
it wasn't as intense for me but those tourneys definitely set me on the eurobeat path
>>
>>336971329
>Sm4sh has no limits with music
>has less limits with costume slots (can it go past 16 or is Little Mac the hardcoded limit?)

It's really looking like it could usurp Brawl as a modding base, especially if the DLC structure allows people to add new character/stage slots with less hassle.
>>
>>336972625
to be fair, those original tourneys were over a year ago, and it's just kind of been a slow burn since then, I only watched the series about 3 months ago honestly, until then I was content just listening to the songs from first stage. Of course then about two weeks ago some anon hands me a mega link with the first 237 super eurobeat compilations, as well as the entire initial D soundtrack, so that happened.

https://mega.nz/#F!JIkFDb4S!2Ca8pXmh6C7f3eWGxuIw4g
https://mega.nz/#F!aAAEXSYZ!ne3u_72IuLuo8kjsN9XjoA
>>
>>336972839
The costume limit for each character is 255
>>
>>336973454
That's fucking awesome.

https://youtu.be/0Sve8gXoh3Q
>Project M started with a couple guys adding Falco's Melee reflector to Brawl

I-Is it happening?
>>
>>336973765

Honestly the fact that something like Project M ever happened with the quality and longevity it had is a miracle. I would LOVE a Smash 4 Project M but it would need a group of very talented and dedicated people leading it.

Then again, PM was a huge success and had a very large fanbase for a console mod, so maybe the seeds have been sown.
>>
>>336974290
Yeah, you're probably right that it's unlikely. Still, that we're seeing moveset changes is a promising start, we'll hopefully at least get a Smash 4+.
>>
I would rather have just a mod that balances the game, like Balanced Brawl, than having a mod that completely changes the game entirely (again).

I'm fine with both, but that's just my preference.
>>
>>336974290
I will say that at least adding stuff might not be as problematic as it was in Brawl.

The PM team had to put a lot of effort into getting more modes, alt costumes, stages, characters, etc but Smash 4 was designed to expanded with DLC which is why all that shit is far more easier to do. For example we wouldn't need to come up with a alternate stage loader like PM did because well, we have the Omega Stages we could replace and it'd work in the same way just without the extra coding hassle.
>>
>>336974391
>>336974701

Yeah, the coding side definitely seems easier and that's a huge plus, since I doubt any of the original PM devs would return. Balance is always complicated but it's absolutely feasible and I would love to see this happen. I am sure many of the top PM & Smash 4 players would be happy to contribute their balance opinions.

There are so many characters in Smash 4 that could be amazing in a PM environment and with decent balance. Greninja, Mega Man, Ryu, etc.
>>
>>336964331
>nintendo got PM out of EVO?
What? Side tourney last year went on and I'm pretty sure that there's another going on this year.
>>
>>336973765
can model imports happen yet ? been keeping a couple of things I'm making on hold waiting for smash modding to happen.
>>
>>336975340
Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g8Wqh-E5rw
>>
>>336975451
that's a vertex edit. heard model imports aren't possible right now.
>>
>>336975636
Oh, my bad, I had assumed they used the assist trophy's model.
>>
Go to a friday local for it every week, great fucking lads in the community. Best smash game to play casually imo, it's most of what my friends and I play when we're not specifically training in Melee. There's just so much fun shit to do.
>>
>>336970325
>>336969808
Chespin Ivysaur is done, I have not tested it and it does not have CSPs and such, do you want me to put it on the vault anyway? Or would you prefer to have those first?

By the way my name on the vault is Placebo, in case the thread dies before I post it
>>
>>336976503
I'd rather wait until CSPs just so I can download it at once. Can I see a screenshot before then, though? I'm really interested in how it turned out.
>>
File: 1425671484129.jpg (12 KB, 367x202) Image search: [Google]
1425671484129.jpg
12 KB, 367x202
>>336975031
>robin with l-cancel
>a very, very, VERY small chance of snake's return
>>
File: ScreenCapture13.png (165 KB, 990x573) Image search: [Google]
ScreenCapture13.png
165 KB, 990x573
>>336976629
One Mocha Ivysaur coming up
>>
File: Ivysaur.jpg (180 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Ivysaur.jpg
180 KB, 600x600
>>336977490
I love it.
>>
>>336977420
>All of those projectiles on Mega Man
Projectile editing in brawl is a pain since you can't really add new ones, but when Mega Man is a factor, ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck.
>>
File: Joseph-oh-my-god.jpg (308 KB, 684x374) Image search: [Google]
Joseph-oh-my-god.jpg
308 KB, 684x374
>>336977683
if the coding side of it is easier than brawl, just think of what they could possibly do with the animations
>mfw decloned lucina that actually takes cues from awakening
>>
File: 1457165272024.png (30 KB, 240x143) Image search: [Google]
1457165272024.png
30 KB, 240x143
>>336977420
If Sm4sh modding gets as big as Brawl modding, we'll surely see every character except possibly the Ice Climbers ;_; returning. Whether they'll be good mods is another question, but at least a couple should be as good as PM Roy/Mewtwo.
>>
File: 1431306539579.png (54 KB, 219x301) Image search: [Google]
1431306539579.png
54 KB, 219x301
>>336978139
>Marth reverted to Melee glory
>Lucina takes all the Brawl/Sm4sh changes and diverges further into a Luigi-tier semi-clone
>>
File: al_160508_2013.bin.out.jpg (91 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
al_160508_2013.bin.out.jpg
91 KB, 640x480
>>336977541
Glad you do
Gonna work on the Brainiac ROB before I make CSPs though, and I need in-game previews for Brawlvault, so the thread will most likely die before I can post a link. Already posted my Vault username here though.

Also 'yall should try some of my other shit, shameless shilling going on here, best Daisy PSA on the market and a 3D Game and Watch.
>>
>>336978360
>give Lucina and Dark Pit some of their alt moves as their defaults
Seriously, it'd be way too easy to make them more distinct. Give Lucina her up special with more horizontal recovery for instance.
>>
File: DD.jpg (15 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
DD.jpg
15 KB, 600x400
Deoxys was going to be the final character.

It hurts knowing this.
>>
File: 1388210039423.png (194 KB, 379x406) Image search: [Google]
1388210039423.png
194 KB, 379x406
>>336978652
I know someone was working on him as a standalone addition, did it get canned?
>>
>>336978652
>another fucking Pokemon character
gonna need sauce on that one
>>
>>336978808
I have no idea, I don't follow the community builds.
>>
File: OG4ROrn.png (807 KB, 586x516) Image search: [Google]
OG4ROrn.png
807 KB, 586x516
>>336978360
marth with melee properties already happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNDYE60wyM
an actual viable roster feels closer and closer every day
>>
File: 1426530761837.png (332 KB, 411x411) Image search: [Google]
1426530761837.png
332 KB, 411x411
>>336978939
I was expecting that joke mod with Marth's infinite grab but that's actually some tight shit.

The future looks so bright. I think I'm building up hope for Smash again after losing PM.
>>
>>336975031
>palutena with better tilts and super speed/lightweight/jump glide as her default moveset

i need this
>>
>>336978868
It gets worse, the other character, planned alongside Deoxys, was Dark Samus.
>>
>>336979534
I know that's a load of shit because PM's clones use the forbidden 7 slots, we currently have the files for 6 of them, counting leaks.
>>
Weren't Dark Samus and Deoxys just rumors? Or was one or more of them confirmed?
>>
>>336980429
Just rumors. All we have proof on is Knuckles, Lyn, Isaac, and Sami.
>>
File: NostalgiaGoggles.png (141 KB, 459x453) Image search: [Google]
NostalgiaGoggles.png
141 KB, 459x453
>>336978939
By viable roster do you mean "only three characters are good and literally everyone else is shit tier"?
>>
File: image.png (282 KB, 429x396) Image search: [Google]
image.png
282 KB, 429x396
>>336981381
i was saying it in the context of pm. not gonna lie melee was unbalanced af and that's one thing pm has an edge over melee in.
>>
File: 1461995708691.jpg (98 KB, 640x597) Image search: [Google]
1461995708691.jpg
98 KB, 640x597
>>336982045
Ah. I guess you're right then.
Nice crops by the way. Have one of mine.
>>
File: ScreenCapture14.png (355 KB, 990x573) Image search: [Google]
ScreenCapture14.png
355 KB, 990x573
Here's two versions of Brainiac colored ROB
Wasn't sure which color you wanted to be primary so I'll release both on the vault
Gonna work on CSPs and the like next, if I finish it before my timezone's 11 PM (53 minutes from now) then I'll make >>336969325
>>
>>336982370
Not him, but thanks doc.
>>
File: 0cd.png (46 KB, 113x242) Image search: [Google]
0cd.png
46 KB, 113x242
>>336982610
I was thinking that the minute I saw his post but I tried so hard not to say anything
Wouldn't be the first time I gave Brawlvault it's daily dose
>>
>>336962786
What do you have?
>>
>>336975636
theres a goku replacement for ryu, so i figure yes
>>
>>336983229
Same fag that made a mocha Ivysaur and Piccolo ROB in this thread. If you wanna see my work on Brawlvault I go by "Placebo" there.
>>
>>336969325
man if i could get off my ass and finish smash 3 textures for that sm4sh roy import i'd give him a sol badguy recolor
>>
>>336959446
Pretty much, not being Melee 2.0 is why I stopped playing PM.
>>
Roy's nerfs killed him.
>>
>>336983853
roy is still good, what are you talking about?
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.