[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember when games had actual cheat codes that did fun stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 21
File: koelsh-in-hangar.jpg (178 KB, 640x684) Image search: [Google]
koelsh-in-hangar.jpg
178 KB, 640x684
Remember when games had actual cheat codes that did fun stuff in games?
>>
>>336898530
Still one of my all-time favorite vidya codes.
>>
File: bigdaddy.gif (13 KB, 192x144) Image search: [Google]
bigdaddy.gif
13 KB, 192x144
>>336898530
yes
>>
>tfw cheat codes became less popular because of achievements/trophies
>>
>>336899452
>you collected 80 dragon dicks in less than 5 minutes on hard mode, tell your friends!

The worst form of padding for the dumbest form of gaymur.
>>
File: o canada.jpg (93 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
o canada.jpg
93 KB, 640x512
Ensemble Studios always had the best cheats

I miss them so much
>>
>>336899452
>Implying it's not due to DLC
Any dev worth his salt can just disable achievements/trophies when cheats get detected
>>
>>336899923
Age of Empires 3 had awesome cheat units. Laser Bear, a giant bust of George Washington that crushes people, and a Hot Dog stand that shoots a flamethrower
>>
>>336900754
DLC doesn't even feel like cheats.

I never felt more godlike for buying DLC, just that I had more stuff than before.
>>
>>336900779
>George Washington
GEORGE CRUSHINGTON
>>
>>336900938
>PRE-ORDER NOW FOR YOUR +5 SWORD OF SKILL AND EXTRA PERKS
>>
as much as /v/ hates on Uncharted and as salt as i am that i dont have a PS4 they always had some fun shit in them
>>
File: 3869.jpg (109 KB, 425x744) Image search: [Google]
3869.jpg
109 KB, 425x744
favorite game with cheats on?

GTA:SA, VC was cool too
>>
>>336901850
Losing Fat Drake is a bit of a bummer though
>>
>>336901026
Maybe that's why. I have never used any DLC that gives me a greater advantage.

I even uninstalled the Red Envelope DLC pack from Sleeping Dogs when I got all the DLC from a sale.
>>
>>336901850
Not anymore, we have Grown Up™ now and realized that doughnut drake is problematic fat shaming.
>>
>>336904446
This is why i'll never consider myself "grown up" when all i see are god damn babies who won't stop crying about one thing or another
>>
>>336898530
Yes, GTA 5 has cheat codes.
>>
>>336905650
shitty timed ones, yea
>>
>>336905650

in a separate online only dlc
>>
>>336898530
>Remember when games had actual cheat codes that did fun stuff in games?

Yes. And it's a shame that those days are gone.

But back in the late '90s and early '00s, when cheat codes were common, a lot of the "hardcore gamers" (i.e., all the late-'90s-to-early-'00s equivalent of you retards) would constantly, fucking CONSTANTLY, complain about cheat codes. They would actually whine about cheat codes being in games because they were so emotionally triggered by the thought of completely optional features allowing other people to more easily beat single-player games. Am I the only one who went on video game boards back then? Every time someone mentioned using cheat codes, even just for fun, a bunch of other people would bitch and moan that the game should be challenging and that cheats somehow ruin it for everyone.

They might have been a vocal minority, but my guess is that developers saw this retarded shit and thought their customers didn't want cheat codes.

>>336899452
>cheat codes became less popular because of achievements/trophies

I don't buy this at all. Lots of games with achievements also have cheat codes. The developers who give a shit about the legitimacy of their achievements just disable them when cheats are in use. There's no conflict between achievements and cheat codes that can't be fixed with a single "if" statement.

However, the achievements were probably invented for the same reason that cheat codes were abandoned: Autistic fuckface "gamers" who think that single-player games are serious business and that we should all care whether total strangers were able to beat one fairly.
>>
>>336905964
>their customers didn't want cheat codes
No, they just discovered that they could sell the cheatcodes calling them DLC.
>>
>>336899452

Achievements ruined games. Now you can't even develop one without shoehorning them in or no one will allow it on their system.
>>
I miss big head mode
>>
>>336906116
The Arkham games have that, iirc
>>
File: George Crushington.jpg (18 KB, 171x269) Image search: [Google]
George Crushington.jpg
18 KB, 171x269
>>336900939
>CHECK YOUR WALLET
>THATS ME ON THE DOLLAR BILL
>>
>>336899923
I learnt to type without looking from the AOM cheats, I used to constantly type them and just spam them until I could just do it without even thinking, I always had trouble with trojanhorseforsale though, don't know why.
>>
>>336906620
NOT FOR LONG CISBIGOT
>>
>low gravity
>tank code
>welcome to Rhino Airlines
>>
>>336899452
The worst is when publishers sell cheat codes as DLC.
>>
>>336906680
Are you me?

Junkfoodnight for life
>>
I was very disappointed by GTAV's lack of wacky cheats. I was hoping they would go the SA route.
>>
>>336898530
I never knew about this...
>>
>>336906948
who did this besides saints row?
im guessing EA or ubisoft pulled this shit as well
>>
>>336898530
the spaceman cheat in AoE1 is the best cheat, only barely edging out the Sheep Cannon and Monstertruck from AoE3
>>
>>336898530
They're ucking obsolete. Grow up and get with the times you nostalgiawhore manbaby.
>>
>>336906997
There's so many good cheats. Rereading my old 1001 cheat book brings back memories.
Bawkbawkboom
Tinesofpower
Wuvwoo
Ocannada

I need to replay it.
>>
>>336901951
>Mega Bunnyhop or Flying Cars wasn't in GTA V
Jimmies remain rustled to this day
>>
>>336906027
>No, they just discovered that they could sell the cheatcodes calling them DLC.

That's rarely done.

It's been years since I've actually seen DLC that functions as a cheat code. Extra weapons are released as DLC, sure, but whether that counts as a "cheat" is debatable. Name 10 games that have a "god mode" DLC.
>>
how fast can you fags type pepperonipizza
>>
>>336905964
>I don't buy this at all. Lots of games with achievements also have cheat codes.

the thing your failing to grasp is how much people care about the legitimacy of cheevos. And compound that with instead of making neato cheatos devs instead program in cheevos instead.

it takes time and some effort to do any of them and given how now cheevos are considered mandatory for the most part. Devs instead time into cheevs instead of cheats since it will be much more appreciated by a more people even if due to the lowest common denominator wanting and liking it
>>
>>336907969
>Name 10 games that have a "god mode" DLC.
Majority of them since they're piss easy with "video game journalist" difficiulty options
>>
>>336907969
>Every "Tales of" game now includes DLC for BUY LEVELS, BUY FANTASY MONEY
>Compile heart bullshit also does this shit to a degree, also tying level cap limits to DLC
>Every game selling alternate models/skins as DLC when those would have been unlockables or hidden cheat unlocks before
>Pre-order bonuses for AAA titles being early weapon unlocks or totally new weapons unobtainable any other way

While I'll give you the "God mode" argument, you also should be able to tell me the last time a game even had a god mode option.
>>
>>336908296
I honestly don't get the point of cheevos.

It's just normal game progress or a self-imposed challenge that existed previously to cheevos except now you get a DING and a stupid pop up telling you you did it that you will never look at again.
>>
>>336908574
e-peen and children trying to stroke their e-peen.
>>
>>336908296
Your REALLY overestimating how much fucking time is necessary to build a trigger or number check in the backround for the majority of achievements, that shit is dumb-dumb tier programming.
>>
>>336908296
>the thing your failing to grasp is how much people care about the legitimacy of cheevos.

I don't think I'm failing to grasp it. I actually mentioned it in the post to which you replied:

>... However, achievements were probably invented for the same reason that cheat codes were abandoned: Autistic fuckface "gamers" who think that single-player games are serious business and that we should all care whether total strangers were able to beat one fairly.

I don't think the disappearance of cheat codes was caused by the invention of achievements, but I do think the two things have the same cause.
>>
EELNATS
>>
>>336905964
Those people from your first point are the same people that say your Dark Souls game is a sham if you summon.
>>
>>336907073
Any fighting game with "unlock all fighters immediately " dlc like blazblue for example
>>
File: Grand_Theft_Auto_V.png (187 KB, 300x369) Image search: [Google]
Grand_Theft_Auto_V.png
187 KB, 300x369
>>336898530

yes i do
>>
>>336908067
hesoyam
uzumymw
whosyourdaddy
greedisgood
leavemealone
rocketman
iddqd
sv_gravity 200
sv_noclipspeed 5
give_ammo crossbow
set.av perception 10
tcl
tgm
add.item 000000f 99999

only codes I can think of on top of my head
>>
>>336905932
>in a separate online only dlc
wat
>>
red bones
pit stop
noob
shock and awe
homeland security
daddy's credit card
>>
>>336909139
I just woke up and you made me smile
FUCK Monster-Ock
>>
>>336908574
>>336908740
Why does eveybody think people do achievement to brag ? I do them for fun little challenge and the feeling of completion

Remember those silly useless mystery challenges in old spyro/ratchet/jack and daxter games? That would unlock at best a big head mode nobody gave a shit about ?

Yeah well I did these, for fun and challenge

"BUT YOU COULD DO THEM WITHOUT THE ACHIEVEMENT/DEVS TELLING YOU TO "

Yeah but why ? Why defeat the final boss in less than five minute ? How would I know how long it took ? How would I decide how fast it's possible for a regular guy ,not a speedrunner that autistically calculated everything?

This is the same reason why people get upset when they lose their 100% save :all the challenges you beat are no longer accounted for by the game, sure you caught 151 pokemon and you know it,there's just no "written" proof you did and some people like to have the game remind them "yes you finished me"
>>
File: 121028537838.jpg (84 KB, 478x344) Image search: [Google]
121028537838.jpg
84 KB, 478x344
>cheating
>fun
I bet you crouched in a corner with double 1817s in MW2 too.
>>
>>336910869
not everyone here is a """""competitive"""" call of duty tourneyfag
>>
>>336910728
>"BUT YOU COULD DO THEM WITHOUT THE ACHIEVEMENT/DEVS TELLING YOU TO "
>Yeah but why ? Why defeat the final boss in less than five minute ?
Why do it just because a pop up tells you you did?
>>
>>336910869
I beat MW1 and 2 on hardest by exploiting the spawns in good chunk of the maps
>>
>>336910869
Do you not allow yourself to have fun? What's wrong with using cheats?
>>
File: 1191846482409.jpg (37 KB, 327x351) Image search: [Google]
1191846482409.jpg
37 KB, 327x351
>>336911226
>What's wrong with using cheats?
>>
>>336910869

>cheats in singleplayer = cheats in multiplayer

retard
>>
>>336911312
>cheating in single player
Why the fuck would you do that? Who are you lying to? Yourself?
>>
>>336911191
How do you decide 5 minute is not only possible but also a challenge ?
>>
File: Oni_Coverart.jpg (53 KB, 256x360) Image search: [Google]
Oni_Coverart.jpg
53 KB, 256x360
yes.
this one had a cheat to play as any character/boss from the game gaining their abilities and moveset.
shit was tight.
>>
at least Shovel Knight had the butt mode.it's nothing big butt at least it was amusing
>>
>>336911292
Damn you sure convinced me with that hilarious use of green texting and that funny image.
Do you only play your games seriously and on the hardest difficulty so you can brag about being the most hardcore gamer dude?
>>
>>336906732
>implying trump is going to change the dollar bills to anything but different trump expressions

I love how your shitty country is going to fall.
>>
File: fag enabler.jpg (9 KB, 252x244) Image search: [Google]
fag enabler.jpg
9 KB, 252x244
>>336911736
The point, you fucking philistine, is that cheating is BY DEFINITION wrong. That's why it's called cheating. Idiot.
>>
>>336911373
>he seriously thinks people do cheats care about 'mad mlg skillz'

Dude.. you should be asking yourself the same question.
>>
>>336911868
>MLG
>single player
Are cheatfags really this retarded?
>>
>>336911458

Nightmare Creatures also had a "play as the enemies" cheat that was fun. Unless you played as a regular ass zombie, though, because one hit and you're knocked down for like half a minute.
>>
>>336911852
Oh boy you are correct!
All that fun I had playing games with cheats enabled was wrong! It was all false, I never actually had fun all because cheating is wrong and evil!

Fuck off, murdering is wrong yet Gta is still fun. Tons of things we do in games is "wrong" by definition.
>>
>>336911979
the point is that they're not zealous tourneyfags so they use it on single player for fun
>>
The last game I played that had something similar to that was Disgaea 5. It wasn't really a secret though since you unlock a cheat shop after beating the game and it's mostly required for the hyper grind that is lategame. There was some stuff like making wierd noises when walking around though.
>>
>>336911191
Fuck off with your shit, when you attempt something hard and frustrating having a small carrot to keep you going is good

I pure platiniumed bayonetta 1 in every mode despite having no achievement for it ,I just wanted to see the result screen full of pure platinum statues that would recognize that I did it. This is no different than an achievement pop up a shitty reward to motivate you through the bullshit
>>
>>336912189
And I had lots of fun throwing chess pieces at my opponents instead of playing the game properly. Doesn't magically make it not wrong.
>>
>>336912260
If the gameplay isn't motivation enough, maybe the game isn't actually good enough to bother playing through for all your penis waggling awards.
>>
File: we dont know.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
we dont know.gif
999 KB, 250x251
>>336912197
>single player
>tourneys
You talking about high score boards? You're generally discouraged from cheating for those as well.
>>
>>336912376
You still had fun doing it though faggot? So you had fun, congratulations. Only difference with in game cheats is they don't affect other people.
>>
>>336912189
>If I'm not winning, the game isn't fun!
>So I'm gonna cheat and win by default! So fun!
Kids like you are the cancer killing video games.
>>
>>336898530
I beat every mission and got gold medal and never knew about cheat like this.

Fuck my childhood
>>
>>336912753
>using cheats after already beating the game isn't a thing.
>>
>>336912549
Playing a game on the bullshit difficulty is NEVER instantly fun, it's fun when you finnally grasp how everything works and finish it

Having the game give you a star "U DONE DID IT" when you do , a big 100% on your savefile, a different start screen anything that recognize you completed something hard feels good for most people

Otherwise nobody would give Ă  shit about losing their 100% savefiles "urrr you did it why do you need the savefile then " for the satisfaction that the game is SITTING there ,completed AND recognize it has been completed so that everytime you boot it up you can remember "hey I did that "
>>
>>336912591
no, cheating on high-score boards IS fooling yourself. I'm talking about fooling around, with a bunch of peds following you gunning down everything that comes in your way in zero gravity and hilariously one-hitting an unbeatable boss with a joke weapon.
>>
>>336901951
GTA SA co-op.
>Superpunch, clown world, flying cars, people riot
>>
>>336913095
Well some of us actually enjoy being challenged as opposed to receiving instant gratification. If you want "button - awesome, button - awesome" bullshit, I recommend Bioware's games.
>>
GTA III

gunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgunsgusngusngusngunsgunsgusngusng
>>
>>336913090
I'll even add that a lot of old rpgs would ALREADY give you a small useless trinket when you beat the bullshit secret boss for this VERY reason

Hell, for a well known example the only reward for catching 151 pokemon in blue /red was a simple "congrats nerd" message
>>
>>336913090
Your hundred percent save file is meaningless anon, unless your going back to it to play on it doing something that can only be done quickly with an end game save, like quickly accessing a level you like, or doing a new playthrough with some unlockable the game offers up.

Having a save file sitting around and not doing anything or not believe you will go back to it with it acting like it's some kind of accolade is some kind of insane, because it's value is totally personal and worthless besides.
>>
>>336899367
My nigger :^)

https://youtu.be/t_WQIYCoJ-8?t=4m47s
>>
>>336913263
And some of us don't even care how other people play their single player games or get ass ravaged over the thought of someone doing something we don't.
>>
File: lame city.png (417 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
lame city.png
417 KB, 500x700
>>336913508
>some of us don't even care how other people play their single player games
Not OP, though.
>hay guys, do you cheat in games too? share stories below :^)))))
>>
>>336913484
>it'S value is personal
EXACTLY, which is why thinking people do achievement just to brag and stroke their e-peen is ridiculous

It's a meaningless badge that I just like having as souvenir
>>
>>336911752
i support this. I also hope he multiplies each bill by 10, or 100 at least.
>>
>>336913703
I don't think you understand the English language very well.
>>
>>336913910
I don't think you understand not being gay very well.
>>
>>336913703

I believe the discussion is about clever or fun changes made to games via the use of secret input granted by the developers. In fact, the image in OP's post doesn't actually give you any sort of advantage ingame. It's merely a cosmetic change. Feel free to continue being mad, though.
>>
>>336913964
Nice
>>
>>336913263
playing video games IS instant gratification. Having to grind for shit while you could mess the codes to get it, for me, is just cucking yourself.

but whatever floats your boat, man
>>
>>336914007
>cheating
>clever or fun
You're rationalising way too hard.
>merely a cosmetic change
>Visuals don't influence gameplay, guys!
Sure, let me just turn on my wallhack then. After all, it's just a cosmetic change.
>>
>>336913484
People collect stamps, their collection isn't actually worth shit they just enjoy researching and collecting

Yet if one day a stamp would dissapear forever they would try to find another one because it wouldn't feel complete

Yeah what mattered was the journey and how much fun you had collecting this trash but having the satisfaction of seeing all your treasures lined up is satisfactory too

Just like seeing a game full of completed achievement feels good

This isn't a matter of cold hard logic
>>
>>336914193
I'm glad you took the advice to stay mad to heart.
>>
File: take your time.jpg (253 KB, 990x661) Image search: [Google]
take your time.jpg
253 KB, 990x661
>>336914323
I'm not the one desperately attempting to cope with my guilt of cheating by convincing myself it is in some way clever or enhances my fun.
>>
File: 1455386283238.jpg (724 KB, 868x5000) Image search: [Google]
1455386283238.jpg
724 KB, 868x5000
>Used to give my mom a list of games I wanted cheat codes for
>She would come home from work with pages of cheatplanet printed out for me, neatly sorted in plastic folders
>I'll never go back to that carefree time
>>
>>336914193
lolwut
>>
>>336914502
Damn, that's a bro mom
>>
>>336914193
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, especially in reference to the fucking Buick. Rogue Squadron II was challenging even if you changed the look of your ship, you fucking retard.

Or what, do you think your skills change because you change the paint of a gun? Get the fuck out of here you dumb shit.
>>
File: 1208468212661.jpg (31 KB, 639x454) Image search: [Google]
1208468212661.jpg
31 KB, 639x454
>>336914780
>caring about gun paint
I want CS:GO kids to quit stealing my oxygen.
>>
>>336914483
>never explores his games 100%
>Calls others guilty.

Sorry you've wasted your money only seeing a tiny portion of your games.
>>
>>336914861
Nigger you're the one who mentioned Call of Duty. You can change the paints of guns there. Are you really that fucking stupid?

Also >gun >paint >MUST BE CS:GO SHIT

You're reaching new levels of retard.
>>
File: 1222462310807.jpg (58 KB, 500x473) Image search: [Google]
1222462310807.jpg
58 KB, 500x473
>>336914875
>cheats constitute a "large" part of a game
>>
>>336914972
>GTA III cheat allows your car to fly
>literally opens up a entire new dimension to the game

I bet you're feelin kinda silly now, huh?
>>
>>336914960
I don't give a fuck about Call of Duty or its gun painting mechanics. If you care about fucking gun paint in games, you need to kill yourself STAT.
>>
File: 1448235727192.jpg (2 MB, 1034x1280) Image search: [Google]
1448235727192.jpg
2 MB, 1034x1280
>>336914193
This is some of the freshest bait I've seen in a while
>>
Well this thread has been ruined. It was fun.
>>
>>336915131
Or you could find the Dodo and realise that these mechanics are available in the game without cheating, making your entire argument completely invalid.

But hey, you wouldn't want to bruise your delicate ego, would you?
>>
>>336914502
i did something similar to this
>>
File: 1437926957459.jpg (221 KB, 825x757) Image search: [Google]
1437926957459.jpg
221 KB, 825x757
>>336898530
>cheat codes
>posts a picture of an Easter egg.
I miss Easter eggs too, but there is no real need anymore with vidya gaems going full industry. The threat of corporate piracy isn't what it used to be. After the Hot Coffee incident and the media's willful ignorance, even locked away hidden content is considered a liability.

Cheat codes are another matter. In 80's games, the bulk of them were run of the mill debugging facilities for devs to make sure their game doesn't crash and burn three quarters of the way through. In the 90's, it somehow became cool and every dev threw a few in just to make gamers happy. For certain lower and midrange games in that era, you needed cheat codes since devs got lazy about actually playtesting. Then again, this was also the era of the $3.99/minute 900-number hint line. Today, $5.99 to unlock infinite ammo.
>>
File: 1460844659429.jpg (40 KB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
1460844659429.jpg
40 KB, 320x239
>>336914502
You better have gotten her something good today.
>>
Gameshark
>>
>>336898530
> Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D
downloading...

http://www.cgnexus.eu/Star-Wars-Rogue-Squadron-3D-1-3-%5BWindows-x86-x64%5D-%5BENG%5D-torrent-2403891.html
>>
>>336915241
>dodo
>flying

You should probably actually play the game someday. I'd mention it would be cheap now, but you might think that's a money cheat.
>>
>>336917594

People have learnt how to make the dodo fly without cheating or anything.
>>
>>336917764
So by doing a certain input, they have manage to make a part of the game function as it's not supposed to.

So ... they cheated.
>>
>>336918017
I bet you're one of those retards that think mods are cheating too
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.