[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw learning japanese to play japanese games and hate every second
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 99
File: 1456648843325.png (683 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1456648843325.png
683 KB, 600x600
>tfw learning japanese to play japanese games and hate every second
>>
File: 1457921382558.gif (650 KB, 647x363) Image search: [Google]
1457921382558.gif
650 KB, 647x363
>mfw kanji
>>
>>336888347
Do Remembering the Kanji
>>
File: 1461330304627.png (1 MB, 1601x750) Image search: [Google]
1461330304627.png
1 MB, 1601x750
>>336888128
Give up.
>>
just give up dingus. you'll never get it, do something more productive and further yourself.
>>
>>336888128
Post more Nepgear
>>
Leaning Japanese is one of the dullest and most tedious things I've ever done in my life. Kanji can suck my fat dick.

I did it though, the pay off was worth it I guess since pretty much all I play now are untranslated VNs but I wouldn't do it again.
>>
I really want to learn Japanese so i don't have to worry about localizations and censorship and the like but I realized time spent learning japanese is time i could be spending studying for certifications to get a better job
>>
>>336888941
>don't have to worry about censorship
Good one.
>>
>>336888128
isn't learning a complex language just for entertainment a waste of time?
it would make sense if you were planning to actually move to japan or get a job that needs japanese, but learning it just for vidya and manga is like buying a tank to drive to a grocery store
>>
>>336888527
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0VSSUuEjA12
>>
>tfw memorized the meaning of the kanji but not the pronunciation
>>
File: 07.png (410 KB, 430x537) Image search: [Google]
07.png
410 KB, 430x537
>try to play a kids game in Jap to work on vocab
>get bored of translating all the vocab I don't know and just skip through the text to get to the gameplay
>>
File: ohana.jpg (19 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
ohana.jpg
19 KB, 320x320
>finally learn Japanese
>Japanese game industry is dead
>>
>>336888941

do what you want to get enjoyment out of life, you guys worry too much about what is and what isn't a waste of time. if you aren't motivated don't do it holy fuck
>>
>>336889042
I want to feel safe. Fuck you.
Do you know how many deaths are from cars?
Thought so.
>>
>>336889042
>>it would make sense if you were planning to actually move to japan or get a job that needs japanese
Why? Seriously, why do those things make sense, but learning a language for entertainment doesn't?

You probably spend all your free time on entertainment. For most people, it's their reason for living.

The time you spend learning the language will be far outstripped by the time you spend using the language within a year.
>>
So how long would it take to learn Japanese at a level competent enough to completely or almost completely understand games and other shit? Assuming like an hour or two of practice a day.
>>
>learn Japanese to read fate/stay night because FUCK YOU MESSAGE
>use it to play imports once in a while since they're sure as fuck not localizing Macross 30

Videogames.
>>
>>336889884
2 years.
>>
>>336889884
Took me about a year doing 2-3 hours a day.
>>
>>336890029

Seriously? What did you use to learn?
>>
i'm only learning so i can read untranslated doujins and then translate them for money
>>
>>336890319
You make shit money doing that. Get some real experience under your belt and do private sector work, not only do you not have to waste your time fitting shit into bubbles, you'll get paid 20 times more.
>>
>>336889042

>isn't learning a complex language just for entertainment a waste of time?

Well, why are you so concerned with getting a good job? If all you need is food and a roof over your head, working as a low-ranking manager at Target will get you a trailer and a supply of cheap groceries with money to spare for a rainy day.

You want a good job because basic food and shelter aren't the only things that matter in life. In both seeking a good job and learning Japanese, you're working to obtain luxuries that are currently unobtainable to you. And in the case of Japanese, those luxuries can't be bought with money.
>>
>>336890447
i can do both nigga
i LIKE doujins, so i'll translate those on the side
>>
>>336890541
Some people (actually, most people) don't care about Japanese media or don't consider them "luxuries"
>>
>>336890138
pls respond
>>
Hiragana and katakana are learned in less than two weeks.
Grammar wise Japanese is much easier than English.

Kanji are indeed archaic, but pretty simple in theory. If you have trouble distinguishing them from each other, learn radicals (not their names, just how they look like, there's like only 200 of them that make up the 2000ish jouyou kanji). RTK1 is a good choice for this.
Otherwise just learn kanji through new vocabulary instead of trying to drill each and every one of their possible pronunciations without context. Most classroom teachers go through kanji in a retarded manner befitting Japanese grade schoolers, teaching students to learn kanji without even touching the manner of radicals or similar looking kanji first, and make students learn the readings without context like proper compound words, nor do they mention spaced repetition software like Anki and instead opt to make their students write down the same kanji over and over again on a piece of paper, then forget about reviewing it altogether

>>336889884
>>336890138
To understand most vidya near completely without having to rely on dictionaries? Few years, with some very hard to understand games still being behind your grasp
If you're talking about the point when you are going to play easy to understand vidya for reading practice (which is obviously the most important skill for consuming media), it could very well take less than a year.

Retard proof guide
1. Realkana.com or go google hiragana and katakana mnemonics
2. Tae Kim's Grammar Guide
3. For kanji; Anki (free software), Heisig's Remembering the Kanji 1 .pdf and the related deck (you don't have to do it completely if you're confident in being able to distinguish kanji from each other)
4. Vocab: Core 2000, Core 4000 etc. and other free vocab decks
5. ITH and JParser, start playing easy to understand vidya / VNs / eroge
6. If you feel the need, use Anki Yomichan add-on and make your own vocab decks from ITH output
7. Eroge erryday
8. Pass JLPT N1
>>
>>336890651
And some do you GOOBER
>>
>>336890651
What's your point?

He does, that's why he's learning Japanese.

Why the fuck would it matter if other people don't care? He's the one working his ass learning Japanese to enjoy what he enjoys even more so, for him, it's worth it.
>>
>>336890651
And? Most people have never picked up a book they weren't forced to read in school. Most people watch Hollywood capeshit every year and eat it up like candy. Your argument holds no meaning, unless you seriously base your enjoyment of things on how much other people like them instead of your own personal feelings.
>>
>>336890651

Then those people don't have a reason to learn, do they? At least not one that pertains to being able to consume Japanese media for fun.

However, if someone does place enough value on untranslated VNs that they feel compelled to learn the language in order to read them, then it's worthwhile for them, for the same reason that getting a good job is worthwhile. It will improve THEIR quality of life by providing them with a commodity that they value. Whether other people value it is irrelevant, just like how much value some random old lady places on videogames is irrelevant to whether you consider good gaming hardware to be worthy of your hard earned money. It's the exact same thing.
>>
Once you get to the point you can actually understand some shit it gets better. Almost 1 year in and I'm feeling pretty good about things.
>>
>>336891239

How much do you practice daily senpai?
>>
>learn Japanese for 3 years so I can vidya gaymes
>company learns my jap skill and invites me to go to our Japan branch as they need more people
Should I?
Memes tought me that company life in Japan is mentally crippling
>>
This is very sad, my condolences.
>>
>>336891565
Been in Tokyo for over a year, it is fantastic.

Talk to someone who has add experience working in your company's jap branch and see what they say about it. But I'd definitely recommend it.
>>
SO, guys. How do I have to study kanji anyway?
Nowadays I'm just memorizing(with writing) every kanji's in my Japanese textbook, seven hours straight, each day, but nothing seems improved. Any tip?
>>
I don't think it's possible for me to learn a second language.
>>
>>336892048
Do you really gain anything by studying individual Kanji?
I've only studied vocab and I don't see the point
Fuck writing kanji I don't see how that will help me
>>
>>336889659
>japan will die in your lifetime
>>
File: 1350452440068.gif (78 KB, 192x224) Image search: [Google]
1350452440068.gif
78 KB, 192x224
>>336892287
I'm conversational in Chinese and we have our share of characters, too. Writing helps me a lot when it comes to memorization.

>>336892048
Don't just spend hours writing vocab, make sure you can apply the vocabulary, too. I spent a lot of time writing practice sentences to help me understand the pronunciation, writing, and usage all at once.

If you're using a textbook, perhaps read the lesson texts while practicing?
>>
>>336888347
This shit just never seems to stick. I spend most my time trying to remember what it actually looks like and how its pronounced in a sentence rather than what it means.
>>
>>336888128

>learning japanese for 3 month to read Rondo Duo
>English patch comes out
>>
File: 1453373249713.jpg (163 KB, 650x560) Image search: [Google]
1453373249713.jpg
163 KB, 650x560
>>
>>336892048
>Nowadays I'm just memorizing(with writing) every kanji's in my Japanese textbook, seven hours straight, each day,
That's the worst and least efficient thing you could be doing. Learning kanji isn't a matter of downing as much information as possible in a short amount of time, but spaced repetition. Download Anki and some kanji decks, maybe RTK1 if you're going through jouyou kanji. If there's some specific vocab you want to learn and have text files of books or output of ITH in case of video games available, download Yomichan add-on and create your own vocabulary deck.

If you have a hard time distinguishing kanji from each other RTK1 deck and the book is great because they group similar looking kanji together.
If you want to study actual kanji usage; meanings and pronunciation in proper words is the best way to go = just study vocabulary and example sentences (can also be done with Anki and its voiced Core 2k, 4k, and so on decks).
>>
>>336893083
Of all things you could learn Japanese for you did it for that?
>>
>>336893326

Also fo the jap oppai growth games like Omega Labirynth
>>
>>336889042
These kinds of posts always trigger the fuck out of me. I can't help but imagine how sad you have to be to consider working towards something you're interested in a waste of time, to consider learning something a waste of time, to consider learning about a culture entirely different from your own a waste of time.
I bet you're one of those faggots in my compsci classes that keeps complaining about everything we learn that he probably won't actually need for a job, even though it's a university that's supposed to focus on academic learning, not fucking job-prepping. Fuck you wannabe wageslave losers, learning for learning's sake is the most beautiful thing there is.
>>
>>336893457
But society has indoctrinated me to consider anything that doesn't benefit the state's consumer lifestyle a waste of time.
>>
>>336889884

a lot of games you don't need to know anything to play, I mean are you autistic enough to not play an 80s side scroller because you don't know what an item is called
>>
>>336892941
Once again, do Remembering the Kanji.
>>
>>336893435
Then your efforts are not wasted. Keep working hard for those other things you'd like to read.
>>
>>336889805

Do you know how many deaths are from tanks?
>>
File: 6ACYN1t.jpg (55 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
6ACYN1t.jpg
55 KB, 800x600
>tfw dyslexia
>tfw you literally can't learn Japanese
>>
>>336893679

I think Wanikani is better
>>
>tfw learning Japanese
>stopped doing Anki after I got 4000 vocab words and the 2141 Joyo Kanji
>now I just learn by playing vidya or reading the news
Sure I improve in a slower fashion but the stress/frustration factor is now 0%
>>
File: 90s Visual Novels.webm (3 MB, 632x472) Image search: [Google]
90s Visual Novels.webm
3 MB, 632x472
Keep learning.
All the ancient Japanese vidya is somehow better than their modern stuff so what you want already exists.
Just keep up your study and you'll be able to play a mountain of smut one day.
>>
>>336893852
Holy shit I can actually read this. Would be nice if it was a bit slower though.
>>
>>336894086
It's all very simple words so that's probably why that anon posted it in the first place. This kinda of material is really cool when you're starting so you can really feel the progress
Try this too : http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/
>>
File: v77vn.jpg (16 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
v77vn.jpg
16 KB, 500x461
>>336892287
>>336893236
>>336892652
I love you guys, thanks for the tip.
>>
>>336894258
That's pretty cool, though furigana are almost cheating.
>>
>>336894258
I'd recommend the new Pokemon games, since the 3DS they've started providing all languages on the cart so you don't even need to import to get Japanese. You can turn kanji on which you should but it's all still relatively simple text so it's good for beginners.
Problem is it can get a little boring, the writing in Pokemon often isn't very interesting, but if you happen to enjoy the game then it's a good way to learn.
>>
>>336894382
Yeah once you get the hang of it furigana become annoying because you automatically read them first, it's the same phenomenon that when you read subtitles when you don't actually need them. I'm just plugging this one because it was one of my best material when I started.
>>336894395
In a similar fashion, I have imported the JP version of Yokai Watch 1 & 2 and it's good for practice. Also, Ni no Kuni is a must play if you have a PS3 and are learning Japanese.
>>
>>336888128
>tfw photographic memory but completely inept at social interactions
I've memorized and written kanji a lot of Japanese would be impressed by. Whenever I try to apply all the knowledge however it falls to shambles, start stuttering like a bitch.
>>
File: kanji.jpg (685 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kanji.jpg
685 KB, 1280x720
>>336893835
I did the exact same thing as you did, with the exception of perhaps additional custom 3000 vocab words through Anki's Yomichan add-on while I was playing easy vidya. Once you get the bare basics down and become more comfortable with encountering kanji it's all downhill from there, you just read and read while over time becoming faster at it.

Though, if you only do that your production skills (writing and speaking) obviously aren't going to improve that much, but then again I assume most people learning Japanese do it for the express purpose of being able to consume Japanese media (reading and listening comprehension). As a result I fuck up some extremely simple shit like even forgetting how to write certain katakana despite being completely capable of reading JLPT N1 level texts.
>>
>>336894587
Reading and speaking are two completely different skills.
>>
>>336894587
Just pretend to be a mute and write everything you want to say on a notepad and show it to them.
>>
>>336894759
Pronunciation isn't really a problem since the language is almost phonetic.
Only a few exceptions here and there like how some people pronounce ひと as "shito" and I get really confused.
>>
File: 1457919487488.png (981 KB, 1148x760) Image search: [Google]
1457919487488.png
981 KB, 1148x760
>tfw learning japanese to play japanese games and loving it
The first time those random squiggles turned into an actual word I could read it blew my mind wide open
>>
>>336894960
Tell me about it. In my head I sound fluent but as soon as the words try to come out..

>>336895032
That or go full Stephen Hawking.
>>
WHY CAN'T JAPAN JUST MOVE TO ROMAJI

FUCK
>>
>>336895032
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody. If anybody wanted to tell me something, they'd have to write it on a piece of paper and shove it over to me. They'd get bored as hell doing that after a while, and then I'd be through with having conversations for the rest of my life. Everybody'd think I was just a poor deaf-mute bastard and they'd leave me alone . . . I'd cook all my own food, and later on, if I wanted to get married or something, I'd meet this beautiful girl that was also a deaf-mute and we'd get married. She'd come and live in my cabin with me, and if she wanted to say anything to me, she'd have to write it on a piece of paper, like everybody else.
>>
>>336895157
They could, but they won't.
>>
>>336895078
Yeah, pronouncing Japanese is actually quite easy. I was talking more about being able to create polite and grammatically correct sentences on the spot without having to take your time to search for proper expressions. I have a similar problem with speaking English, though obviously to lesser extent than Japanese.
>>
>>336895419
Same with writing too, I can read okay but if I wanted to type a sentence I'm sure it would sound retarded.
>>
File: 1450272582930.png (7 KB, 176x225) Image search: [Google]
1450272582930.png
7 KB, 176x225
>>336895157
How could they? Since they have tons of homophones, how could they then know which word it is without seeing hte kanji
>>
>>336895528
Because Japanese is a very contextual language you fuck. Like they don't know whether you're talking about fucking salmon or sake etc
>>
>>336895528
Tokyo or Toukyou?
>>
>>336888128
stop?
>>
>>336894587
>>336895132
Fuuck I'm the same. I read Japanese everyday but whenever I try to speak "huumm watashi wa humm anon desu ?"
The worst part is that I'm going to Japan in 3 weeks and I fear being awkward as fuck.
>>
>>336896054
You'll get used to it. Alcohol also helped me a bunch, just practice talking at izakaya.
>>
>>336896054
Where in Japan are you going? You don't need to know a word of Japanese to get by in Tokyo.
>>
>>336896169
Just to be clear I'm going there for an internship, not tourism. I think I won't have too many problems finding ways to practice because I'll be surrounded by 90% Japanese people everyday
>>336896296
Ikeda, it's close to Osaka.
>>
>>336895375
>They could, but they won't.
That's false. Japanese government actually considered changing to just kana or romaji at some points, but found it impossible / very impractical due to usage and limitations of kana syllabaries having caused a fuckton of homophones over the course of history and development of Japanese language. Just look at kana; the syllables cover all the possible sounds in Japanese language with only few variations like gemination. Compare that to Roman alphabet where you can freely combine all sorts of separate vowels and consonants. Changing to just kana or romaji would remove many important visual cues and make understandability suffer, even if you used spaces. Anyone native or someone who has learned Japanese can attest to this.

Sure, kanji as a system are very archaic but there's no way to just up and pluck them from the language this late. Of course, spoken language can't benefit from kanji so the listeners have to rely on context or have the speaker explain what they're talking about. Kanji become extremely important in even remotely scientific or other fields using specified vocabulary, and actually help readers who are introduced to foreign concepts if they already know the base meaning of a kanji ideogram they're encountering again.
>>
It would really help if japanese wasn't such a difficult and shitty language.
>>
>>336896454
Not as shitty as English
>Tear and tear have identical spelling and different pronunciations
>Funness isn't an 'real' word because reasons
>Funner isn't a 'real' word
>Funny is fine though
>Funning isn't

What can I say, I love Japanese conjugation.
>>
>>336896054
Dont be afraid to be awkward. Thats the worst thing you can do. I travelled a loy across the europe looking for job just with basic english. Peoplr are very understanding and its better to say things in simply way than trying to thing first about grammar etc. Practice is all you need
>>
Then you're doing it wrong. I'm playing video games while learning japanese at the same time and it's fun (outside of the necessary evil that is anki).
>>
File: 1460045687259.jpg (332 KB, 724x1023) Image search: [Google]
1460045687259.jpg
332 KB, 724x1023
>>336888128
Nepgear is for...
>>
File: 1409760327964.jpg (12 KB, 193x270) Image search: [Google]
1409760327964.jpg
12 KB, 193x270
>うん means 'yes'
>ううん means 'no'

great language
>>
>>336897065
>uh-huh means yes
>uh-uh means no

Literally the same fucking thing.
>>
Learning faggots.
Why haven't you played Nekopara yet?
It gives you the option to display two languages (2) at the same time as you play.

I wish more games did this.
>>
File: 1457269846219.jpg (633 KB, 1200x794) Image search: [Google]
1457269846219.jpg
633 KB, 1200x794
>>336888128
If you aren't enjoying it then you won't learn it

さっさと止めろ
>>
>>336893852
What novel is this called?
>>
>>336897207
your dumb shut up
>>
>>336896932
Hand holding and head pats. She's a good girl.
>>
>>336896054

It's inevitable when you first start speaking. Same with sounding like a baby or just a general uneducated dumbass. Having a good base from lots of reading and especially listening can help, but there's ultimately no way around the growing pains.

The important thing is that you practice a lot and keep striving to improve. Try speech shadowing, recording yourself to spot things to fix, and talking to yourself when you're alone. When you combine that with a good knowledge base, you'll eventually go from sounding like a baby to sounding like an educated foreigner.
>>
>>336897280
Because on one hand it's a complete pile of shit game that nobody would willingly play for more than 5 minutes if they had any taste, and on the other, the translation is overly liberal and thus pretty useless for the purpose you think it is. "分かりました" means "ma'am" now?
>>
>>336897414
>Doesn't understand the difference between translating meaning and translating words.

You baka.
>>
>>336888128
no wonder, you are trying to learn a language based in primitive gutural songs and stylized pictograms representing objects

japanese is literally supernoob class, a development of savage prehistoric communication

and since you don't come from their ching chong tribe, it's gonna be a bitch to learn
>>
>>336897280
The English isn't a literal translation of the script and English and Japanese do not follow the same grammar rules. Displaying them both to learn the other is like trying to learn how to play tennis by using a tennis ball in a baseball game.
>>
>>336897351
Check the webm title.
>>
>>336897489
And which one would you want if you were looking to learn the language, genius?
>>
>>336897580
Meanings.
Then I can read "はい、分かりました" and interpret "Yes, understood." in my head and check "Yes, ma'am" to see how the translator displayed the meaning.
That translation is far more useful to me since I can easily get the literal translations from my dictionary.
>>
File: 12525625625.jpg (3 MB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
12525625625.jpg
3 MB, 3504x2336
>>336897563
I don't think it's called "90's visual novels"
>>
>>336897065

>can't tell the difference between "うん" in a single syllable and "ううん" divided up into two syllables

They always make it really fucking obvious which one they're using. You would need to be the DSP of language learning in order to have trouble with that.
>>
>>336897684
filename =/= title
>>
>>336897679
>>That translation is far more useful to me since I can easily get the literal translations from my dictionary.
If you're fine with looking up everything in your dictionary, why on earth do you need the English translation? Seems like at best, it's just a hindrance.
>>
>mfw there's people wasting their language memory brain space and living time in learning a barbaric, inefficient and useless language just to play a sub-par genre of vidya

instead of, you know, making some sort of internet group and pay unemployed japanese translators to translate pirated games for you? hmmm?
>>
>>336897758
I find it very useful to see a human translation rather than a machine translation.
Gives me more understanding of how the words can be used, yet it's also easy to see where liberties are taken.

Since you're such a genius, why don't you literally translate "いただきます" for me, without changing the word, and having it make sense.
>>
>>336888128
I learned kana, where do I start with grammar?
>>
File: 1428297362484.jpg (22 KB, 251x231) Image search: [Google]
1428297362484.jpg
22 KB, 251x231
>>336897717
I still don't see it and I looked through the webm at least 5 times, am I missing something?
>>
>>336898004
Very quickly skim over a text book and pick up the important shit, then don't worry about studying grammar any more.

Just read a lot of shit and the grammar will come over time.
>>
>>336898005
"title" refers to metadata within the webm file that can be used to store a name.
there should be a button that says "title" to the right of the file name, after google and iqdb.
if for some reason your 4chan is fucked up and you don't have it, the title says "VIPER M3 3.2"
>>
>>336898004
Tae Kim's Grammar Guide
>>
>>336897971
"Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub!"
>>
>>336898140
I actually don't have a title button there so thanks
>>
>>336898253
That's the stuff.
>>
DOES ANYONE HAVE A YOUTUBE LINK TO THE GAMESHOW WHERE JAPS TRY TO SAY ENGLISH WORDS TO ENGLISH SIRI iPHONE AND FAIL HARD AT IT

been looking for a long time.
>>
File: 1390222512002.jpg (78 KB, 500x557) Image search: [Google]
1390222512002.jpg
78 KB, 500x557
>>336898404
I only have this.
>>
>>336897918
Sounds like a retarded idea desu
>>
File: n7CiW.jpg (720 KB, 3185x1348) Image search: [Google]
n7CiW.jpg
720 KB, 3185x1348
>>336898253
>>
>>336898512
>no [gg]
>>
>>336898653
I take that back, I'm dumb
>>
File: What a beautiful DUWANG.webm (2 MB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
What a beautiful DUWANG.webm
2 MB, 426x240
>>336898512
The best is clearly obvious.
>>
>>336898781
jesus christ they weren't joking
>>
File: 1462655366204.gif (299 KB, 500x655) Image search: [Google]
1462655366204.gif
299 KB, 500x655
>>336889072
holy shit
>>
File: what_a_beautiful_duwang.jpg (867 KB, 2356x1792) Image search: [Google]
what_a_beautiful_duwang.jpg
867 KB, 2356x1792
>>336898884
Those aren't real subs, "duwang" refers to a notoriously awful translation of the original psrt 4 manga by a group of chinese kids for their English class or something. They translated the town's name as "duwang" when it should have been "morioh", for example.
>>
File: 1461683895303.jpg (81 KB, 568x960) Image search: [Google]
1461683895303.jpg
81 KB, 568x960
>>336898781
>refers to the town as morioh not duwang
>>
>>336888128
Can't you learn japanese without the kanji?
>>
>>336899161
Can't you learn English without the roman alphabet?
>>
>>336899161
No
>>
>>336899293
イエス アイ スピーク ベリー グッド エングリシュ ドーンチュー アグリー?
>>
>>336899293
I actually can, yes.
How else do you think illiterate people communicate?
>>
>>336899293
You can learn to talk it. Like children do.
>>
File: diamond is not crash.jpg (54 KB, 2100x1052) Image search: [Google]
diamond is not crash.jpg
54 KB, 2100x1052
>>336898512
>tfw recently getting compulsive urges to make shitty duwang edits of shitty webcomics
啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊
>>
>>336899161
オヴコースマイフレンド!
>>
>>336899505
>>336899589
The point of this thread is learning a language to play games. Being able to speak but not read is useless.
>>
File: 180b36af[1].jpg (17 KB, 500x346) Image search: [Google]
180b36af[1].jpg
17 KB, 500x346
>>336899381
I can't help but imagine Wakamoto's voice every time when I encounter long katakana strings.
>>
File: Td7JiRH.png (128 KB, 581x443) Image search: [Google]
Td7JiRH.png
128 KB, 581x443
>>336899803
>>
>>336888347
>>336888128
I'm having an easy time with Kanji and vocabulary. It's all simple stuff, you just need to repeat.

Grammar on the other hand, feels like a fucking maze. It's not a simple matter of repetition, I have to understand every little concept and I feel completely lost sometimes. Specially because I have doubts and questions that I don't know who to ask, because /a/ is useless. If they don't judge your question to be worthy, they just troll you and shitpost.
>>
ミーミーピックルピー!
ミーミーパンプアラム!
>>
>>336888128
You aren't japanese and never will be.
Accept it.
>>
>>336900023
本物の日本人ですけど!
>>
>>336900023
do you even need to be japanese to play japanese games?

why can't you just learn the language just to play the games and not be a weeb at all?
>>
File: 1462379155155.jpg (66 KB, 680x918) Image search: [Google]
1462379155155.jpg
66 KB, 680x918
>>336899991
>>
File: 1462443133634.png (139 KB, 308x765) Image search: [Google]
1462443133634.png
139 KB, 308x765
>>336900109
>Wasn't born Mexican
>I'll never be able to enjoy tequila
Life is so unfair.
>>
My brother is trying the thing mentioned earlier in this thread and plays pokémon. Very few kanji and gives a good feeling that you actually know a bit of japanese. The thing is that he seems like he could use something just a bit harder. With easy kanji used sometimes. Any recommendations for such games jap/v/?
>>
File: UKXDkTO.png (667 KB, 748x1284) Image search: [Google]
UKXDkTO.png
667 KB, 748x1284
>nep games have doerr meme localization
>Know jackshit about japanese but at least at minimum level know what they are talking about and cover the rest with assumption
>know better that way than reading the text

i really need to work on learning japanese
>>
File: 1428476681893.png (171 KB, 308x765) Image search: [Google]
1428476681893.png
171 KB, 308x765
>>336900180
im not sure what the point is here but its ok anon
>>
>>336900023
アイムソージャパニーズアイシットザーエンパラー
>>
>>336900195
NISA stopped localizing Nep. The newest game is fine.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-08-08-25-07.png (98 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-08-08-25-07.png
98 KB, 1440x2560
>tfw attractive, fit American make who is moving to Japan next summer for school and is losing motivation to learn Japanese.

Kill me
>>
File: 1452037164833.jpg (56 KB, 464x404) Image search: [Google]
1452037164833.jpg
56 KB, 464x404
>two years in
>still struggle to read any VN
>>
>>336900309
Wouldn't you learn Jap faster since you're living in an area where the language is native?
>>
File: 20160507210421_1.jpg (366 KB, 1920x1088) Image search: [Google]
20160507210421_1.jpg
366 KB, 1920x1088
>>336900270
noire's translation kinda meh since they deliberately add in meme when there are none

it's very noticeable too if you use japanese dub, this one is very blatant
>>
>>336900257
天皇陛下万歳 to you too Anon.
>>
>>336900414
MegaDimension Nep is perfectly fine though.
>>
一言言わないではいられなかった
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Japan to English translation dictionary
>>
>>336898404
It's Yama P no kiss, dude.
>>
File: 1338721614356.jpg (139 KB, 1053x700) Image search: [Google]
1338721614356.jpg
139 KB, 1053x700
>tfw you werent born japanese
>tfw you will never get to play all the vn and eroges you want in your native language
>tfw you missed out on the japanese school life

KILL

ME
>>
How do you look up unfamiliar Kanji in a dictionary if you don't know how to pronounce them?
>>
>>336900380
I'm moving next summer so I just need to get to a level where I'm conversational but not fluent. I'm probably almost N4 now.
>>
>>336900380
Nope. You will learn a language if it's important to you. Mudslimes who have lived in European countries for decades still can't speak the language, because they don't care.

>>336900618
I just hover over them with an OCR.
>>
>>336900524
PC version this summer anon, cant wait

>>336900560
>be fat fuck in highschool
>missed out highschool life at all
>become anti social in university
>dead inside
>>
>>336900618
There's this magical thing called the internet, these days. Even if you know literally nothing about the kanji other than general shape, you can draw it into Google Translate and it'll tell you what it is.
>>
>>336900618
Don't Japanese dictionaries have some kind of way to find kanji by particles, I'd expect something like that to exist in the back. I only ever use software dictionaries because they have those features built in.
>>
>>336900618
Radicals.
>>
>>336900618
Use google translate drawing thing
It actually works most of the time
>>
File: 1457265376736.jpg (31 KB, 554x443) Image search: [Google]
1457265376736.jpg
31 KB, 554x443
>態々
>wazawaza

Why japanese people
>>
why won't japan just hurry up and ban japenese?
its such a shitty language, just english you fucking gooks
>>
File: 胸.webm (250 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
胸.webm
250 KB, 1280x720
>>336900618
draw them into google translate
>>
>>336900849
t.globalist jew
>>
>>336900838
But you can learn that in literally half a second.
>>
>>336900618
Radicals (jisho.org has this function)
Number of strokes
Trying to draw the kanji

If using internet or handling text files that you can copy pasta, there's a lot of programs like Rikaichan that shows the kanji's reading and English translation when hovering over it.
>>
>>336900895
That's really cool, I had no idea you could do that.
>>
>>336900187
Gundam Breaker 3, Danball Senki, Animal Crossing
>>
>>336900560
my perspective is that it would probably be harder to learn burger as a rune speaker than learn runes as a burger speaker, and there's games exclusive to each language that i like
>>
>>336900928
japenese is truly a terrible language
just hurry up and swap to english or get bombed again
>>
>>336901064
Goldbergstein i'm onto you
>>
File: 1444802133192.jpg (21 KB, 471x480) Image search: [Google]
1444802133192.jpg
21 KB, 471x480
>>336900560
Is school life that different from others?
I mean it cant actually be like it is in anime right?
I've never taken the time to look into it.
Is it awesome like Cromartie High?
>>
>It's a "people pussyfoot around the best method of learning Japanese in favor of recommending people to watch anime or play videogames in Japanese to learn vocabulary" thread

Just do Anki core6k, Tae Kim and go on JET. If you want a job in Japan you need a VISA and given that most of you people are disgusting fat neckbeards you're not gonna convince some girl to marry you. You'll learn more Japanese by actually being in Japan than you will playing your 8 year old girl pissing simulators. If you don't want a job or to live in Japan then just do Anki and Tae Kim.
>>
File: 1454952281591.jpg (53 KB, 960x547) Image search: [Google]
1454952281591.jpg
53 KB, 960x547
>>
>>336901103
i am 100% pure aussie
i am just fucking sick of gooks speaking that shit tier language near me
>>
>>336888128
You might as well quit then, if your not enjoying it you should just quit.

Also, if your just learning Japanese to play videogames, its not worth it. You still need to build up a vocabulary which takes years and years.

Also I bet your one of these shitty kids learning it for a day
>>
>>336901037
I'd say learning English is easier, since I never really put any effort into it.
But Japanese is troublesome.
Pretty, but troublesome.
- Not a native speaker of either
>>
>>336901106
No man, it's just school. If anything is harder so they are always busy. Also it has more of a focus on clubs so mostly they are either working part time in high school or they are doing something like baseball or swimming.

Tests are also way more intense.
>>
>>336901163
gooks actually go to places like ausland?
>>
>>336889072
>ore
>female voice
>>
>>336901220

English is only "easier" to be basically adept at because chances are you've been consuming some degree of English media prior to learning it.
>>
>>336901306
That's sexy as fuck.
>>
>>336888128
>learning japanese to play japanese games
thats the problem.
if you are only learning it to play videogames and japanese comics, then you have not a good motivation to do it, thus you feel its not worth doing it.
>>
File: 1430171157968.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1430171157968.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>336901236
But are there rockstars, gorillas, robots and aliens?
Does anyone ride a horse to school?
>>
>>336901291
yep
they are fucking everywhere here
stupid shits keep immigrating
don't fucking move to a country if you can't speak the national language ffs
>>
ペルソナ5発売日前に、日本語に上手にならなきゃ!

俺様はあのクソ英語吹き替えに大人しく屈しねぇ!

俺様こそ、もっと上手になれる!
>>
>>336901106
No dude, maybe the students have more respect for each other but I doubt it's that different.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (103 KB, 682x554) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
103 KB, 682x554
I cant even find time to play all the translated games.
So i don't really have a reason to learn Japanese.
>>
>studying Japanese since 2010
>living in Japan now
>can read pretty much anything I want fine
>easy access to anything

It's a good life. You'll never have it OP if you hate every second of learning Japanese. You're like those weeaboos in Japanese courses that give up in the middle of the first semester.
>>
>>336901386
Sometimes anon. Sometimes.
>>
File: cromartie-hayashida-o.gif (639 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
cromartie-hayashida-o.gif
639 KB, 320x240
>>336901106
Cromartie High School is the only realistic anime that was ever made
>>
hey anons anyone everyone done any translating/transcribing here?

i want to get a bunch of lewd audio translated but pretty much no one does it

how hard is it?
>>
>>336901483
Where did you go for grammar? Genki? Tae Kim? Imabi?

What did you do with the questions you inevitably has when learning grammar? Who did you take them to?
>>
File: 1438834391601.jpg (157 KB, 1195x897) Image search: [Google]
1438834391601.jpg
157 KB, 1195x897
>>336901515
Its true
>>
>>336901483
>You're like those weeaboos in Japanese courses that give up in the middle of the first semester.

This

OP's reasons for learning a language are silly too, I mean videogames? Do you even like how Japanese sounds? How it looks?
>>
>>336901220
I agree, but English is only easy because it's used literally everywhere you go and taught in all civilized countries, so you don't have to put in that much effort and can learn more just through consumption of different media. Grammar wise it's much more complex and has many irregularities compared to Japanese.
>>
>>336901483

You living in Tokyo?

>move to Japan in 2013
>do my one year of mandatory JET Visa mining
>get offered a job at multinational company in 2014
>now making 2.5x the national full time average wage working with whiteys
>will be doing work for the Olympics in 2020 if I stay at the business
>>
>>336901315
I have, yes.
When I was a kid, we only had Cartoon Network in English, so we watched that.
Some of us actually picked up a lot from it.
I've been watching anime for a long time, but actually learning the language still seems hard.

I could say they could consume English media too, though they are less likely to, since they have plenty of their own.
>>
>>336901315
Not that guy, but I disagree. I've been consuming English and Japanese media for pretty much all my conscious life, but English was the only language I was able to learn fluently without spending hundreds of hours actively studying. I consider English to be easier because you can learn it just by interacting with it, whereas the same can only be said of listening to and speaking Japanese.
There is no real way to just casually learn all the kanji you need.
>>
File: 1457242825795.jpg (64 KB, 510x904) Image search: [Google]
1457242825795.jpg
64 KB, 510x904
>>336901413
上手の出来ない。残念。
>>
>>336901579
aaaaah = aaaaah
kimochiiiiii = aaaaah
ikuuuuu = aaaaah

There, translated everything in your lewd audios for you.
>>
>>336901579
ever*
also why the fuck does no one make stuff in english/japenese
like jap devs who can speak both languages yet don't bother with english. wtf
>>
>>336901413
ペルソナ5はだめですけど次のゲームのために学ばなければならないです。
>>
>>336901582
>Where did you go for grammar?
Custom textbooks written by the native Japanese teacher at my university.

>What did you do with the questions you inevitably has when learning grammar? Who did you take them to?
To him.

But even if you don't have access to something like this, there are tons of those "ask a native" websites out there, aren't they?
>>
>>336901646

2000 Kanji isn't that much mate and most compounds are basic shit.
>>
>>336901656
not these types
they are lewd femdom/joi audios
>>
>>336901648
What does that say? Baka gaijin?
>>
>>336901595
>OP's reasons for learning a language are silly too, I mean videogames?
I learned Japanese for eroge and passed JLPT N1. As long as you're motivated it doesn't matter what the underlying reason is, I too had shit of a time initially before actually getting to read stuff I was interested in.
>>
>>336901483
>>336901595
If being a weeaboo keeps you from sticking with it then how come you made it?
Youre clearly the most weeb since you moved to live in glorious nippon land since you obviously curse your birthland for not being japan
>>
>>336901306

Using 'ore-sama' as her personal pronoun is the single sexiest trait a girl can have.
>>
>>336901741
Yes.

I know someone in real life with a misspelled Japanese tattoo and I don't have the heart to say anything about it.
>>
>>336901741
Exactly.
>>
>>336901714
You can find a lot of sites on the Internet.

Heck you can go to nico nico where there are several channels of gaijins or Japanese learning Japanese/English whatever.
>>
>>336901656
>kimochiiii = feels so goooood
>ikuuuuu = i'm comiiiing
nigga they different
>>
>>336901727
It's far harder than not doing anything special and just accidentally learning the language while watching/playing/reading.
>>
>>336888128
learn chinese, its a bit easier, more useful and most japanese games get a really good chinese translation in almost no time.
>>
>>336901664
Most devs can't speak both languages past a few set phrases, and almost no writers can even manage that. Just knowing 2 languages doesn't mean you're a translator.
>>
>>336901812
Dumb anon. Ikuuuuu means "I'm goiiiiing"
>>
So I was watching this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNxPRBvRQg

What is the deal? How come natives can't even write Kanji
>>
>>336897918
>language memory space
6 languages and counting nigga
>>
>>336901765
I live in Europe, I hate Japanese culture, I just like their language, how it looks, how it sounds. Where did you even get the idea I'm a pathetic weeb who wants to live in Japan while I live in one of the most comfortable country in the world.
>>
>>336901765

Not that guy, but I moved to Japan because it isn't overrun by disgusting subhuman whiteys and mudslimes, doesn't drown itself with migrants and it's extremely safe crime wise. The Olympics are coming up in 2020, too. Even if you don't plan to stick it out in Japan, having worked in a high quality business overseas is one of the most invaluable things you can have on your resume.
>>
>>336901823
Literally all you have to do is make it to a basic level of competency and you can do the exact same thing.

The only difference is that you need to know a few more words.
>>
>>336901883
Because they forget it,just like here in the west some people forget how to read or write.
>>
>>336901883
Can Americans spell?

>>336901840
Some anon posted a ten post rant about why you shouldn't learn Chinese and I wish I had saved it.
In short, working with Chinese business is hell.
>>
>>336901881
God damn it I have no clue why I'm laughing so hard at this
>>
>>336901883

Because it's 2016 and handwriting shit isn't a requirement. You just need to know how to write shit down at the postal office, everything else is done on the phone/laptop.
>>
>>336901883
On what occassions do they need to nowadays?
>>
>>336901883
Past school, there's very little reason to.

Writing and recognition are 2 very different skill sets, it's the reason why you can read perfectly but occasionally misspell words.
>>
>>336901962
>Forget how to read or write

Nigga what
>>
>>336901883
its the same as cursive
shits dead
going the same way as writing in general
i literally haven't used a pen/pencil in 10 years
>>
>>336901702

しょうがねな。

俺様はまだ輸入するつもり。

クソ吹き替えを聞くより、筋をあまりわかんねぇのほうがいい。
>>
>>336901840
>chinese
>its a bit easier
The only "a bit easier" part of Chinese is that the ideograms only have one way to pronounce them. In return, you have to learn additional 1000 symbols in order to gain basic user skills, and distinguishing all the sounds and tones is extremely difficult for a non-native speaker.
>>
>>336902098
shut up you king eight egg
>>
>>336902034
If you had to use kanji, you might forget some of it too...
>>
>>336901883
Because it's hard to remember 1000's of those fucking characters even if your a adult Japanese.

Every once in a while its common for them to forget how to write a kanji.
>>
>>336901932
Yeah, and you need to learn those words and symbols through active studying at first, making it harder than learning English.
I have literally never sat down to learn English words in my life. I do so multiple hours a day for Japanese despite being able to understand and speak it quite well.

I actually really like kanji and think they're fucking interesting, but pretending the language isn't more of a chore to learn because of them is absolute bullshit.
>>
>>336893815
japanese was a spoken language to begin with, you can learn the spoken language though you'll miss out on some puns and shit, not like that matters
>>
>>336901741
>Fuck yeah, new tattoo! Always wanted to get a tattoo in JP but I wanted to do it in Japan. Meaning: Omnipotent god.
>That's not what it means though.
>HUEHUEHUEHUE. Darling, it was made in Tokyo by a Japanese, it can't be wrong!
>But it's still not what it means.
>What does it mean then mr. big pants?
>Stupid foreigner.
>>
>>336902093
頑張れ 名無しさん
>>
File: a213ac600d[1].jpg (273 KB, 1282x725) Image search: [Google]
a213ac600d[1].jpg
273 KB, 1282x725
>>336900414
>mfw the self insert faggots dialogue
i might have to skip every text box in the game just so i dont accidently read of any his shit

i would rather play PP in english
>>
>>336897918

>Language memory brain space

There is no such thing.
>>
>>336901980
I gotchu senpai

https://desustorage.org/his/thread/826095/#827861
>>
>>336902138
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 99

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.