[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk Nintendo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67
File: NO MORE DISAPPOINTMENT PLEASE.jpg (10 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
NO MORE DISAPPOINTMENT PLEASE.jpg
10 KB, 640x360
The problem:
Contrary to popular belief, Nintendo's problem is NOT having an underpowered console, or gimmicky controller, or whatever. That's not the reason they don't sell. After all, the N64 and Gamecube were more powerful than their Playstation competitors without any gimmicks, and yet were crushed.
The problem is BRANDING. The Nintendo brand is simply not big like the Playstation brand only because of their image as the Disney of video games. It's cool and trendy to own a Playstation 4 or Xbox One if you're a normal person. In movies and TV shows, the main character will be seen playing Playstation game, never a Wii U game. The NX could be a behemoth of a machine with specs twice as good as the PS4 and 0 gimmicks and it would still not sell if that's all that there was to it.

The solution:
Rebranding. Nintendo needs to revitalize their brand on a huge scale, and do so from every avenue in order for the NX to be successful. It does seem that they're doing in that in some form, since they've branched out to social media and Miitomo to gain more brand recognition. It seems successful so far, with Miitomo having 10 million users already. They need to have an extremely strong marketing push from every angle (social media, word of mouth, commercials, and yes even games journalists need to be on their side for this) to firmly get the idea in a normal person's head that 'Wow this thing is really cool! I should buy one!'. They have to firmly get it in the heads of the average consumer that if they don't own a NX, they're out of the loop.

I think that signs like the generation-long Zelda delay (and showing only it at E3) and the NX not launching during Christmas are good in the long run. If they're willing to make these very large sacrifices and piss off a lot of people as well as lose holiday sales, it means whatever they're doing must be worth the sacrifice in their eyes. It seems they're banking VERY hard on the NX's launch being extremely strong.

Can they do it?
>>
File: I want to beat that rhythm.png (1 KB, 168x204) Image search: [Google]
I want to beat that rhythm.png
1 KB, 168x204
>>336819531
Great post. Have a bump.

A change of leadership might be the blessing in disguise Nintendo needed.

Iwata's attitude seemed like "What interesting new thing can we do, that's still every quintessentially 'Nintendo'?" which is nice, but not always going to succeed with consumers.

If Kimishima's attitude is more along the lines of' 'What can we do to make Nintendo more than just niche?" at least for the NX, enough to gain brand power again, it might even save them if successful.
>>
Even tho I agree with the part of branding, I guess it's not just that that keep them down.
You see, they make great software, but still this is not enough.

If they can't have the next battlefield or cawaduty in their system, it is going go fail.
>>
File: kamiya.jpg (32 KB, 404x404) Image search: [Google]
kamiya.jpg
32 KB, 404x404
bump
>>
File: 12 Hours.jpg (182 KB, 936x1327) Image search: [Google]
12 Hours.jpg
182 KB, 936x1327
QPUdumping to keep thread up since most people will just lurk and not post anyway
>>
File: 1453256582651.png (27 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1453256582651.png
27 KB, 512x512
>>
>>336819531
>Lets talk about this company
I'd rather not.
>>
This thread has potential for actual discussion, but nobody will respond because "bluh Nintenyearolds bluh."

I think Zelda would be a great thing to rebrand and help get Nintendo into the everygamers home. Have everything a little darker, have actual characters with voice acting, weapons and armor that each have their own pros and cons. Make it so it isn't baby's first adventure game.
>>
File: 12 hours.png (808 KB, 1863x571) Image search: [Google]
12 hours.png
808 KB, 1863x571
>>
>>336819531
>The Nintendo brand is simply not big like the Playstation brand only because of their image as the Disney of video games
but Disney is the Disney of movies and their movies are still setting records (not even counting Marvel's stuff)
>>
File: IT'S NOT A HALF PRESS.jpg (418 KB, 837x1094) Image search: [Google]
IT'S NOT A HALF PRESS.jpg
418 KB, 837x1094
>>336823126
They have the outward image of Disney with a similar track record of quality too (of course there is a bad one for every three or four good ones).

Except they don't have the same level of success.
>>
>>336819531
>lets deflect the actual problems that are keeping Nintendo from making good games, and that are keeping people from playing and enjoying Nintendo games and look at Nintendo's MONEY AND MARKETING

No, and you cant damage control this. Gimmicks are done, the Wii isn't coming back, people have moved on. The motion control fad is over Sonnyboy.

Unless you're a shill or a fanboy whose stuck to the bottom of Nintendo's nutsack sucking the sweat from their japanese balls, you should NOT CARE ABOUT A CORPORATIONS MONEY.

YOU SHOULD be caring about the quality, solidity, and depth of the games they produce.

Pic related, it's focused on SFZ but it applies to Nintendo in general.
>>
>>336823517
>YOU SHOULD be caring about the quality, solidity, and depth of the games they produce.
I do, but that's not what sells systems. You seem to have misunderstood the entire point of the post.

The thread is about how Nintendo can make a comeback and be relevant again. The Wii U has many quality first-party titles on it but that didn't stop it from not selling.

I do agree that their quality of games has been dipping recently though. Star Fox Zero, Paper Mario Sticker Star, etc. are simply not up to part
>>
File: 1449844966421.jpg (38 KB, 365x450) Image search: [Google]
1449844966421.jpg
38 KB, 365x450
>>336819531
Here is the truth.

If nintendo gave us games like zelda, mario kart, metroid prime, starfox, mario sunshine, more often they would be well off.

But no. Nintendo chooses to spend years of work on rehashes, gimmicks and games that should not take 3 years to produce.

They care less about what they make and more about what the old suits of the company think.
>>
File: 1459028099836.png (932 KB, 1253x914) Image search: [Google]
1459028099836.png
932 KB, 1253x914
>>
>>336823517
The NX could have the best line-up on the planet but that won't matter if everyone still sees it as kiddieshit.
>>
>>336823858
Your post is absolutely retarded and your two points contradict eachother.

>give us more and more of [long running series]
>why do they make rehashes?!?!

and you're complaining that there's several years between each installment. No shit. If any Nintendo series was yearly it would legitimately be a rehash like Call of Duty.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 418x390) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 418x390
>>336823858
>mario sunshine
>>
File: Dumb ''Henry'' posters.png (785 KB, 1027x891) Image search: [Google]
Dumb ''Henry'' posters.png
785 KB, 1027x891
>>
people in tv shows play xbox or playstation because it's easier to use them as stand-ins for 'generic nondescript video game' which isn't a good thing.

also House has a GBA SP and later a DS
>>
>>336824365
If in an alternate universe the Wii U was significantly more popular than the PS4/Xbone, you'd be seeing only it in TV Shows.
>>
>>336824467
I feel like that was the case for a while with the Wii
>>
File: done and over.png (473 KB, 497x598) Image search: [Google]
done and over.png
473 KB, 497x598
>>336823773
If Nintendo wants to sell systems, they have to make Nintendo games. What they've been doing since 2007 or so is making EXTENSIONS OF GIMMICKS.

-Skyward sword was built around and was an EXTENSION OF THE WIIMOTE GIMMICK.
-Starfox Zero was built around and was an UPDATED EXTENSION OF THE WIIMOTE GIMMICK

You see where I'm going with this. You cannot sell NINTENDO SYSTEMS without good games attached to it, it just doesn't work that way no matter what they try because the general public has a unchangable image for Nintendo built into them. They're not Sony and dont have the good market position to simply say "HEY WIGGERS, DUDEBROS, NIGGERS, AND WEEBS BUY THIS CONSOLE BECAUSE IT'LL...EVEEEEENTUALLY! HAVE GAMES.."

Nintendo has to have strong 3rd party relations, strong core 1st party titles with actual gameplay depth to them, and they cant do this while they have a crutch like gimmicks hindering their developmental mindset. NEARLY EVERY TITLE That Nintendo has produced since the DS/Wii's inception has been fundamentally WEAK AND SHALLOW gameplay wise.

The consumer has caught onto this and IF YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT A /CORPORATIONS/ SALES you'd see that this has HURT THEM and their INDUSTRY POSITION.
>>
>>336824467
Only if the rules in that alternate universe shift from 'just throw in something generic' to 'make sure we set up deals for product placement, or pay for the rights to use their image in our production' or however the fuck it works
>>
>>336824365
and to address your second point, Nintendo handhelds are and have always been popular. You see characters with a DS way more than you see characters with a PSP for that reason.

And in recent years I don't think I've ever seen a fictional character with a Vita. It's ALWAYS a 3DS.
>>
>>336824628
Nintendo handhelds have been the only handhelds from like 1989 to 2004 (ignoring consoles that 80% of people on the street never heard of) so of course they're gonna be the go-to generic handheld
>>
The only thing that will save them now is if they go Second Party with valve.
>>
File: 11217164.jpg (4 KB, 174x179) Image search: [Google]
11217164.jpg
4 KB, 174x179
>>336824609
>"HEY WIGGERS, DUDEBROS, NIGGERS, AND WEEBS BUY THIS CONSOLE BECAUSE IT'LL...EVEEEEENTUALLY! HAVE GAMES.."
But that's the selling point of the PS4
Remember #GreatnessAwaits?
>>
>>336824824
Did you not just read his post?
>>
File: meh.png (99 KB, 397x385) Image search: [Google]
meh.png
99 KB, 397x385
>>336824824
That was what I wrote son...Please stay in school.
>>
>>336824609
>They're not Sony and dont have the good market position to simply say "HEY WIGGERS, DUDEBROS, NIGGERS, AND WEEBS BUY THIS CONSOLE BECAUSE IT'LL...EVEEEEENTUALLY! HAVE GAMES.."
I agree. This whole thread is about what Nintendo can do to try and gain that market position.

also Skyward Sword and StarFox Zero are the only two examples of what you've listed. Besides I think that if a console has a gimmick, there should be at least one game to test the waters. It would be a shame if the Wii came and went with not a single game attempting to utilize motion control well (i.e. make it go from a useless gimmick to a game mechanic).
>>
>>336819531
>Rebranding

At least in the western world they should totally reverse the factor that made them the king of the 8bit era, meaning "this is not a game console, this is a toy".
It's not easy and it could eventually alienate their everlasting core, japanese and Nintendo lovers all over the world, meaning losing more crowd.
>>
>>336824824
heh
>>
Super Mario 64 was just a gimmick to push the fact that the N64 could render games in 3d rather than 2d. Literally the whole game's built around this idea and it is trash.
>>
Shut the fuck up.

The reason the PS4 and even the Xbone to an even are doing well is because THEY MAKE PRODUCTS THAT PEOPLE WHO LIKE VIDEO GAMES WANT TO BUY.

Fuck the 'average consumer'. The average consumer isn't buying a PS4/Xbone because of public perception, they but them because they want to play video-fucking-games.

You're stilling thinking people who don't give a fuck about video games are buyign consoles like they did for the Wii. That's not happening again with tablets/mobile gaming, people who don't care for vg wont buy consoles.

Nintendo does not have video-fucking-games unless you like their standard shlock, which is a decade late at this point.
>>
>>336825027
That's the problem, no one cares. You cant make them care either, motion control was a fad and only hurt Nintendo's quality of gameplay.

If it was used to some actual control depth, added to the game to make it a richer experience, and if the Wiimote had actual accuracy then yeah I'd agree. As it is now the Wiimote was poorly made, which is why it needed Wiimotion+, and even then it suffered from inaccuracies. No developer cared about nor wanted to use the Wiimote to any real end.

To compound this, from what I remember reading it was INCREDIBLY HARD to code for the Wiimote itself, not just the Wii as a console. The math behind it was completely insane.
>>
>>336825027

> It would be a shame if the Wii came and went with not a single game attempting to utilize motion control well

No it would not be a shame because that gimmick was to entice casual morons, not actual good games.
>>
>>336824824
Sonyggers, everyone.
>>
>>336825264

B-But Anon, multiplats and sports titles arent video games around here, you know that.
>>
>>336825373
Hey fuck you in terms of controls MP3 is probably the best console FPS
>>
>>336825264
>Fuck the 'average consumer'. The average consumer isn't buying a PS4/Xbone because of public perception, they but them because they want to play video-fucking-games.

What about for the Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon?
>>
File: fuck.png (1 MB, 916x754) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
1 MB, 916x754
>>
>>336825501

Those are just nice side benefits, you could watch all that on your tablet/laptop/PC/phone too.

>>336825479
The fuck is MP3?
>>
I wished this hobby was filled with people that buy video games based on their actual gameplay merit, not based on whether it looks like "kiddie shit" or not
>>
File: FUCKING WHY.png (184 KB, 497x498) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING WHY.png
184 KB, 497x498
>>336825479
Are...are you fucking serious? Metroid prime 3 was an abomination of slow controls (even at max sensitivity) that seemed more like the gamecube controls were slapped on a pointer than a true mouse+kb experience on a Wiimote+nunchuck.

It should've waited for Wiimotion+, because as it was it was a fucking HORRID experience that was simply babbys first pointer experience. Like...seriously having to touch the side of the screen to turn are you fucking for real right now?

PRIMEFAGS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.
>>
File: maxresdefault-10.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-10.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
I feel like he had a good point when he compared Nintendo systems to Google+
>>
>>336825651
Then Nintendo wouldn't exist they are subsisting entirely off nostalgia at this point.
>>
>>336825645
Metroid Prime 3. Say what you want about Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3 controlled like a dream. All it needed was maybe the ability to turn around at whatever speed you hit the edge of the screen with the cursor at. But it didn't have competitive multiplayer so it didn't need it.
>>
File: lel.png (26 KB, 307x300) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
26 KB, 307x300
>>336819531
If you think that Nintendo will ever drop their family friendly image you are seriously delusional
>>
Nintendo makes cute and comfy games. People only want faux-military shooter #377 now with soccer

Rebranding would mean they woukd have to make these games.
>>
>>336825695
>touch the sides of the screen

did you even advanced sensitivity? Anything less than that was unplayable nonsense.

Also I don't get what Wiimotion+ would do to make the pointer better. It was good for gyro stuff but as a pointer it was slow.
>>
>>336825651
And Nintendo hasn't produced anything worthy of being played on its gameplay merit since the Wii came out, otherwise we wouldn't be FUCKING BITCHING LIKE ASSHOLES ALL THE TIME.

Yknow how tired I am of having to complain that the company I grew up with blows gopher turds now? I HATE what they've become. If I have to slide their public image into the shitter to get them to abandon gimmicks and casuals then so be it. death or rebirth, we're going to see this modern casual shitter Nintendo go away.
>>
If Nintendo wants to win they have to pander to their manchild fanbase. But they won't. Nintendo wants kids, and they'd rather go mobile and sell Happy Meal toys than give their fanbase what they want.

So enjoy getting buttfucked with yet another Nintendo system with no online chat and more Animal Crossing garbage.
>>
File: Tom_Kalinske.jpg (6 KB, 160x239) Image search: [Google]
Tom_Kalinske.jpg
6 KB, 160x239
>>336825651

>decades later, Nintendo is still dragging around the "kiddie shit" image

Will they ever remedy this?
>>
they need to put out more software. it's ridiculous that the Wii U still doesn't have a proper Mario or Zelda game after FOUR FUCKING YEARS. there are literally hundreds of people (myself) who would buy a console exclusively to play the new Zelda game.

after Four years we got:
>Star Fox Zero
>Mario Kart 8
>Splatoon
>Pikmin 3
(those shitty New SMB games, and shitty HD ports don't count as real games)

just look at what had been released in the FIRST YEAR of previous Nintendo consoles:

N64
>Super Mario 64
>Mario Kart 64
>Pilotwings 64
>Wave Race 64

Gamecube
>Mario Kart Double Dash
>Luigi's Mansion
>Pikmin
>Animal Crossing (JP)
and the very next year Super Mario Sunshine

Nintendo literally lives on first party games and they just aren't coming out fast enough. sure game take longer to make now but they should not be taking this long. I think there is something seriously wrong with Nintendo's team management
>>
>>336823414
>that pic
That meme was ran into the ground in like 1 week
>>
>>336825885
Yes you damage controlling prime 3 baby, the Wiimote is a piece of shit and should have been kept far away from Metroid. Yes I mad.
>>
File: Blast Ball.jpg (622 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Blast Ball.jpg
622 KB, 1920x1080
>>336825851
>People only want faux-military shooter #377 now with soccer
Well I guess Nintendo finally gets it then.
>>
>>336824073
>he doesn't like sunshine
>>
>held a private event for DISNEY ART ACADEMY

yeah no OP, you raise some valid points but having faith in this shit company is a terrible idea

if they DO manage to shit out a bayonetta 3 and Pikmin 4 then i'll bite

but otherwise Nintendo is keeping the friendly image, as shown by miitomo (WHICH HAS NO NEW FEATURES FOR THE MII CREATOR SINCE 2006) so we'll see Mii's in the next nintendo console as well sadly

and the online infrastructure jesus fucking christ
>Wii U only connects to the last internet you connected, if you move somewhere else you have to quit the game to change the "default" connection

>lack of a messaging a good system and having a notification system that ISNT a fucking blinking light
>>
>>336825939
>wii u
>no metroid
>no zelda
>no f zero
>no Mario 64-style mario
>no Kirby (why did we get a rerelease of canvas curse that didn't even acknowledge the existence of canvas curse?)
>no cool shit like Custom Robo
>>
>>336825939
>Pilotwings
>Wave Race
>Animal Crossing aka port from N64
>real games
>>
>>336825950
3 months ago
>>
File: 1444582581336.png (77 KB, 250x190) Image search: [Google]
1444582581336.png
77 KB, 250x190
There's a reason Sony is funding things like Bloodborne and Last Guardian, and it's not because they expect CoD/Minecraft-level sales. They know that as a platform holder, you can't just shit on entire fan groups, even if they're relatively niche

And it's not like Nintendo is offering at least equivalents for things like Metroid or racing games without Mario. A gradual burn of shitting out nothing but "guaranteed hits" like 2D mascot platformers and minigame compilations will give you the WiiU - a console for almost nobody. Even Nintendo's own Fire Emblem shows that its stupid to give up on a fanbase. They gave a series on it's deathbed a rebirth, now it's selling well, with Fates doing 1+ million in NA alone, and enhancing their portfolio with a genre that dumb minigames and novel up-rezed tech demos wouldn't be able to replace.
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 325x302) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 325x302
Nintendo's problem is that they're incompetent and they fucking suck.
>>
If Nintendo gave us console versions of: Zelda, Mario platformers, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario sports games, Metroid, Star Fox, Pokemon, Mario-universe spin-offs (e.g. Yoshi/DK games, SSB falls here), and some IPs WITHOUT gimmick controls and WITH proper online capabilities for its multiplayer games, then the Wii U would have sold much better.

Mario Kart 8 is a perfect example of a game that has proper multiplayer and no gimmick controls. Splatoon falls into this category as well (you can turn off gyro).

Zelda hasn't been released yet. There hasn't been a SM64/Galaxy sort of Mario platformer. Mario Party and Mario Tennis were at best rushed, at worst cash-ins that do not have proper online multiplayer. Star Fox has gimmick controls and no online where it could have. No console Pokemon game. I mean SHIT Pokemon Snap 2 would have been PERFECT with the Wii U's gimmick but it's not here. There's so much shit that Nintendo hasn't done, and it seems they're utterly out of touch with what will make them a lot of money.

They don't need that good a third party support. They don't need a powerful system etc. They simply need controls that the average person will find acceptable, proper online, and to make their "cash-in" games like Mario Party decent.

Basically others have made the points I made while I was typing this FUCK but yeah.
>>
>>336825996
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it but control-wise prime 3 wasn't near as bad as you're making it out to be. I don't know what you were expecting
>>
File: theres always next year.jpg (164 KB, 749x700) Image search: [Google]
theres always next year.jpg
164 KB, 749x700
>NX will save the Wii U
>>
>>336825357
I wish the first wiimote and six axis never existed because it gave people such a bad impression of motion controls. The Wii U pad is currently the best console controller for any game that requires precision aiming. Gryo is not a gimmick and the other companies really need to start using it to make shooting games playable on their consoles. I know the PS4 controller also has gyro, but I haven't actually seen it used in anything. It would only take one popular game to make people realize that they will need to use motion controls for aiming if they want to have a chance to compete.
>>
>>336826710

I wager even the most hardcore Nintendork will admit the Wii U is ded now.
>>
>>336826624
>There's a reason Sony is funding things like Bloodborne and Last Guardian, and it's not because they expect CoD/Minecraft-level sales. They know that as a platform holder, you can't just shit on entire fan groups, even if they're relatively niche
Except Nintendo did the exact same thing with games like The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2; the latter of which worked out EXTREMELY well for them

Don't cherrypick examples faggot
>>
>>336819531
The problem is though, with the PS4 already having a strong showing and Nintendo already having a low userbase, how can they attract 3rd parties to make the big name IPs like COD and Battlefield for the NX?
Unless they can win over the 3rd parties, they can't draw in a larger audience. If they can't draw in a larger audience then the 3rd parties won't care.

The NX will do badly because the only people who will buy it are the people who bought the WiiU. Probably lots of them won't bother since the WiiU was a failure and was abandoned early leading to players feeling betrayed by nintendo.
>>
>>336825939

yeah i think this pretty solidly nails it. fuck all this overcomplicated rubbish - the problem with nintendo is one of lack of content and poor quality of available content. the N64 was criticised for having a paucity of good games, but we still had:

>SM64

first 3D game that actually did things right

>OOT

built on the SM64 formula and gave a cinematic gaming experience nobody had experienced

>majora's mask

same as OOT but with a surreal bent

>blast corps

just including it because i fucking loved this game. why can't we just have a "smashing the shit out of buildings" game these days?

>goldeneye

yeah it's aged terribly but it started the trend of viable console FPS

>banjo kazooie

massively polished platformer building off the SM64 formula

the N64 was remembered well in large part because of rare's genius at the time. nintendo has since then not had a decent third-party developer to rely on, so we're left with first-party games.

the wii and the wii u have both had decent games, but ever since the N64 nintendo's decline has been in large part because they're no longer capable of innovating in a way that is actually interesting to gamers. casual players think the wii remote is neat, but every time it's attempted to be implemented in an actual game that people on, say, /v/ would like (skyward sword) it's like they designed the game around the need to shoehorn in motion controls as opposed to trying to innovate with regards to the experience of the game itself. it's the entirely wrong approach - the jump to 3D was inevitable, so anon >>336825240 here is a fucking idiot, but nintendo made the jump well because of solid level design and innovative ways to utilise the technology with the experience as paramount. that could have happened with decent motion controls, but as others have said, the wii remote is poorly designed, and consequently games that utilise it heavily make it feel like a burden.
>>
I wish Nintendo padded out their major releases with shit that would have been first-party blockbusters back in 1995. Just because we can have awesome 3D graphics doesn't mean we -have- to have full-blown 3D shit, or failing that (which is what we've been getting) half-assed empty 3D games. It would be so easy for nintendo to make a 2D side-scroller follow up to Super Metroid in a weekend, or make a game twice as big as Earthbound, but they just won't. Shovel Knight was kind of the right idea, I kinda wish more people were doing shit like that
>>
File: layton.gif (27 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
layton.gif
27 KB, 600x500
>>336825849
It's not my fault you lack basic reading comprehension.

Nobody said anything about dropping a family friendly image. Something family friendly can still have huge amounts of brand power and market pull. Like Pixar. The OP says that the word 'Nintendo' needs to be on everyone's tongues, and that has nothing to do with going the road of M-rated games.

Stay in school
>>
>>336827232

(2/2)

so really what they need to do is start making games that make people take notice again. zelda being open-world could potentially do this - if nintendo offer some kind of interesting spin on the open-world formula that makes people wonder why the fuck open world games haven't done things like this before, but to be honest i'm doubtful that a developer that can take so long to make a game as short as starfox zero are capable of pulling off an ambitious open world title.
>>
>>336819531
>>>/biz/
for all of your seventeen year old economic arguments
>>
File: fedora kid.jpg (66 KB, 613x677) Image search: [Google]
fedora kid.jpg
66 KB, 613x677
>>336827672
>>
>>336824609
Mario Galaxy was also built around the wii remote. In fact both the remote and Galaxy was constructed together, and thats what they should have done with other games as well.
Instead Prime, Skywards Sword, Zack and Wiki type games turned into games attached with gimmicks that could work with the wiimote.
>>
They need grand theft auto. The japs should be blowing the housers to get gta on their systems but they're not. They're too arrogant for that. If your console doesn't have the highest selling 3rd party game then what's the point? You're always going to finish 2nd place at best

If rockstar come so will the rest of the 3rd party cucks like ea and ubisoft

Alternatively they shouldve stuck with the Wii brand and forged their own path. They shouldve made a straight up Wii 2 instead of the confusing abomination that was the U. Wii was a brand that people trusted, it was the video game equivalent of apple. They spent years teaching people - people who perhaps otherwise wouldn't have played video games - how to use the wiimote, and then they just fucking dropped it with the wii U. They couldve had a good thing, being the cheap, more accessible alternative to playstation. But they blew it. The wii U wasn't cheap, it wasn't accessible and it didn't appeal to the hardcore either. It essentially appealed to nobody.

If you want to compete with playstation, you need GTA. If you don't have GTA, you need to do somsthing to differentiate yourself.

The gamecube was essentially a shit playstation 2. It had no GTA, no PES, a fucked up controller, stupid design and no online play. That's why it failed. It wasn't a big anti nintendo conspiracy
>>
>>336827463
>but to be honest i'm doubtful that a developer that can take so long to make a game as short as starfox zero are capable of pulling off an ambitious open world title.

Starfox Zero was made by platinum and it is a SHMUP. There are no SHMUP that are longer than 1 hour and half because it is meant to be replayed to get a better score.

Zelda had the help of Monolith Software for Zelda Wii U/NX. And Monolith Software was behind Xenoblade X.

What you have written is pretty stupid, anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 363x322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 363x322
>>336827850
>GTA fanboy
>>
>>336825695
>Like...seriously having to touch the side of the screen to turn are you fucking for real right now?

>he didn't even look at the options
>he didn't change to advanced
What the fuck were you even doing?
>>
>>336824029
Rehashes aren't just games in the same series, for example Mario Galaxy is not a rehash of SM64, but New Soup Wii/2/U are rehashes of New Soup 1.

What the poster is saying is, he wants games of the same quality as those games, a fresh feel to a long lasting series.
>>
>>336827850
>Wii was a brand that people trusted

I'm going to have to disagree with you. The casuals who bought it for Wii sports didn't buy many other games and have now moved on to other platforms. They likely won't be coming back. The poor performance of the Wii near the end of its life also gave it a bad image with core gamers. The Wii is one of the big problems for Nintendo's image right now.
>>
>>336819531
>it means whatever they're doing must be worth the sacrifice in their eyes
I have news for you kiddo
>>
>>336828568
Sony always wins baby
>>
Nah they need good games

Not mediocre games that fail to live up to older titles, not remakes but with dumb gommicks slapped on. Good games

Nintendo has no third party support, whos going to buy a wiiu for fucking 3d world? Shit like bayonetta 2 sales absolutly nothing but they kept wanting to fund it for some reason. Theres a reason why no one wanted to publish bayonetta 2
>>
File: Ok But Like.jpg (202 KB, 1020x1125) Image search: [Google]
Ok But Like.jpg
202 KB, 1020x1125
>>336819531

>The problem is BRANDING. The Nintendo brand is simply not big like the Playstation brand only because of their image as the Disney of video games.

This isn't a bad thing. You realize Disney is an unbelievably successful multi-billion dollar company, right? And that Disney being synonymous with baby stuff is basically no longer applicable, considering they own Marvel and Lucasfilm, and mainstream audiences are coming around on considering core Disney products "baby stuff". Normal, mainstream people fondly remember and talk about Mario and Zelda the way they remember Mickey Mouse and The Little Mermaid.

Branding was the least of the Wii U's problems. Bigger problems include:

>the casual market that made the Wii such a huge success had either moved on to mobile gaming, saw no reason to get a new console, or didn't even understand that it WAS a new console
>casual market (and some others) didn't understand it was a new console because they only showed off the gamepad, not the console, and the name didn't clue you in that this was the next thing (like a Super Nintendo or Xbox 360, or even PS2/3/4)
>core gamers were still iffy after basically being abandoned during the Wii's boom period, receiving a handful of genuinely fulfilling games aimed at that among a sea of casual stuff
>no killer app like Wii Sports that was immediately understandable by everyone and made novel use of the new gimmick (Nintendo Land tried, but failed)
>weak launch line-up, made up of Nintendo Land, another NSMB, and third party games that came out months or even years ago on other, last gen consoles

I do agree 100% that their willingness to basically abandon the Wii U and not rush to get it out in time for the holidays means they're looking to the long term, which is a good sign that they've learned from the Wii U. But again, I don't think branding has to do with that, since they're still very family friendly fun in terms of content, even with Miitomo.
>>
>>336828568
let's hear them
>>
>>336827970

platinum helped out but it was nintendo's baby. monolith aren't helping with zelda they just said they would if asked. you can google this.

i am aware of what starfox is meant to be, i'm not talking about the length of the game, i'm talking about the lack of variety in the levels themselves.
>>
>>336827970
Platinum did not make star fox zero, why do people keep saying this?
>>
>>336829160
They co-developed it, they're in the credits, it was announced before the game came out, and platinum devs on twitter have made it clear they're helping out
>>
>>336826475
Pilotwings 64 was amazing, and so was wave race.
>>
>>336829160

Hideki Kamiya (who had literally nothing to do with the game) is a huge fan of the series and even pushed for the inclusion of a Star Fox easter egg in Bayonetta 2.

Also there's that big ol' P* logo whenever you boot up the game.
>>
File: wiivit.png (1 MB, 1215x799) Image search: [Google]
wiivit.png
1 MB, 1215x799
I wonder what type of gameplay opportunities this would have provided
>>
>>336829262
They didnt make it though
>>
>>336819531
Nintendo also needs to stop treating their consumers like children that need to be shielded from the horrors of sex and violence. I'm not asking for an M-rated Mario FPS but they need to stop censoring the handful of Teen and Mature rated titles they have and let the adults enjoy them how they were created.

Kids don't even play those games anymore, they play M-rated FPS games, Minecraft, and phone games almost exclusively.
>>
>>336823858
This.
>No, not a remake of 64, we want a new Star Fox!
>Here is Star Fox 64 on the Wii U

>How about a new Paper Mario game?
>Here's a M&L game
>No, Paper Mario, like the original!
>Okay here is Sticker Star 2

>Animal Crossing for Wii U?
>Here is Mario Party Crossing

>New LoZ?
>Here is a remake of Wind Waker
>No, a new LoZ game
>Okay here is a remake of Twilight Princess

I could keep going on. The 3DS is doing fine, but the Wii U (which seems to be the one they advertise and talk about the most) just keeps limping by.
>>
File: 1458687902050.png (40 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1458687902050.png
40 KB, 321x322
>>336828442
>>336824029
>>336823858

What I don't understand with other dev studios, is that they are never expected to renew a series or innovate, it is only expected from Nintendo.

MS can produce as many Halo they want without changing a single thing, people will cope with it
ND have not changed a single thing in their Uncharted series, and still it is praised as the messiah of videogames by the sonyggers.
Sony could have uncountable entries in GoW, Killzone, Infamous series, it would still sell.
EA sells for billions with Battlefield, NHL, Madden, FIFA, no one minds.
Activision sells a CoD every year, nothing happens.

When Nintendo funds Bayonetta 2, people gets angry. When Nintendo funds Xenoblade X, people ignore it, when Nintendo give its chance to IS for a new series like Codename Steam, no one cares.
But as soon as there is a new Mario, it's like end of the times, even when the game is more than decent.
>>
so Iwata has been dead for quite some time now, but I gotta wonder just how long it takes for a company to completely stomach an incident like that. I also have to wonder just how much it set the company back
>>
>>336819531
Their problem is their complete lack of marketing.
>>
>>336819531
You make an interesting point OP
I hope that Nintendo will get their ass off the shitter and start pissing upright like real men for once, and i think they're able to succeed
>>
>>336825469
>ugghh ugghh *sigh* who in their right mind would play these AAA FPS games and multiplats?
>the WiiU has some good exclusives, why is no one buying it?
>hmm...it must be.. the PS4 and Xbone's normie-core brand image!

please be understanding, /v/ has autism
>>
>>336829360
Heart rate censor for Fatal Frame, duh.

Spawn more shit at you if your heart rate goes up.
>>
>>336819531
>After all, the N64 and Gamecube were more powerful than their Playstation competitors

Just ignore that the lack of space on the game cartridges/discs was a severe limitation and made Gamecube useless for multiplatform titles (a big one: Grand Theft Auto)
>>
>>336829545
Honestly they should just sell themselves to Sony.

Now there's success
>>
>>336823414
Disney went through bad periods before. Why can't Nintendo?
>>
I like gimmicks though.

Seriously, if it isn't for gimmicks why would you buy a console instead of playing on pc?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1455611400067.jpg (42 KB, 888x296) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1455611400067.jpg
42 KB, 888x296
The problem with Nintendo isn't branding. Everyone and their mother knows who Nintendo is and what their mascots bring to the system. Nintendo problem is, they rely on innovation for the sake of innovation. Loom at Star Fox Zero, Paper Mario Splash, Kid Icarus (3DS), Metroid Federation Force. They can make games that people want, but instead they're obsessed with being Newtendo. Always obsessed with trying to reinvent the wheel ditching things that work, for things people hate. Then simultaneously saying "fuck you, you will like it because it's innovative and new."

This was the case for the Wii-U. Nobody asked for that shit, a lot of people who go to PS or Xbox went their for a straightforward approach to gaming. A controller and a box that plays games.

I respect Nintendo for staying true to their laurels, but sometimes it works against them. They need to reevaluate their approach and create something modern with a Nintendo spin. I'd like to see what they could do with better hardware, and a more streamlined approach to console gaming.
>>
>>336828892
This right here. Some good game come out, ok, bt that's not what Nintendo is known for, becuase they have a record of sucking at it. No good launch titles, not good game 2-3 years in becuase they are the family oriented company with shitty and brainless gimmicks in their games.

When people buy a Nintendo console, they should feel empowered. A casual game but staying true to the basic fundamentals that make a game fun and engaging. And if the recent decade has taught me one thing, it is that that rarely happens.
>>
>>336819531
>A well written and actually meaningful OP criticizing Nintendo
>Not an OP made by a shitposter pretending his own opinion is criticism
Am I still on /v/?

Anyway, well said. I agree. And they can do it. It's pretty much what Phil Spencer is trying to do with the Xbox brand after the Kinect and muh TV shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 660x631) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 660x631
>>336824073
The game has its flaws for sure, but it's still pretty great.

Now if you're arguing about its inclusion among broader items then I can understand, but it feels like you simply detest the game instead.
>>
Why do people act like every new Nintendo game is some experiment? Pokemon Sun & Moon is coming, that's probably traditional. Kirby Planet Robobot? Another traditional Kirby game in the future.
>>
>>336831590
Kirby: Planet Robobot doesn't take place in the future. Popstar gets invaded by businesspeople who cover the planet in machines.
>>
>>336831590
>Pokemon Sun & Moon
A game you know good and well Nintendo has absolutely no influence on, they just provide the hardware and collect a piece of the profit
>>
File: QPU Tears.png (20 KB, 354x368) Image search: [Google]
QPU Tears.png
20 KB, 354x368
>>336825950
You're not welcome here """Henry"""
>>
They dont need to rebrand. If anything their brand is the only thing keeping them alive.

They need to become conpetitive. They are obsess with finding a new one hit wonder. They wont. They have the ips, they have the talent. They need to let go of the arrogance, they need to hire new people with interesting ideas, they need let go and grow.
>>
>>336819531
>I think that signs like the generation-long Zelda delay (and showing only it at E3) and the NX not launching during Christmas are good in the long run. If they're willing to make these very large sacrifices and piss off a lot of people as well as lose holiday sales, it means whatever they're doing must be worth the sacrifice in their eyes. It seems they're banking VERY hard on the NX's launch being extremely strong.
I think what this actually indicates is that they don't have third party games ready to go -- either because they were far too late getting kits out, they provided poor documentation with the kits AGAIN, or third parties aren't even bothering with ports until the install base is there -- or they are once again having trouble getting their in-house stuff done on time, despite having an absolutely barren release schedule for the Wii U because they are supposedly shifting everything to NX.
>>
>>336823414
Nintendo hasn't had much "quality " as of late. They seem to be living off the fact that they made great games in the past. Disney has actually been on fire the past few years with their shit.
>>
>>336824609
If Nintendo wants to sell, they need strong third party support. Seriously, multiplats move consoles these days, not exclusives.
>>
Nintendo is a sinking ship because they don't understand that making video games is about making a product and people giving you money for it.

The decisions they make in marketing and technology are laughably stupid and archaic.
>>
>>336819531
>Contrary to popular belief, Nintendo's problem is NOT having an underpowered console, or gimmicky controller, or whatever. That's not the reason they don't sell. After all, the N64 and Gamecube were more powerful than their Playstation competitors without any gimmicks, and yet were crushed.
THIS. FUCKING. THIS.

This is what retards don't get. This is what simple minded people that can only parrot Neogaf's opinions can't grasp. Power means jack shit.
Nintendo could poop out a console that doubles the power of a PS4 Neo and they would still have the same problems they had with the Wii U and GC before it.
You are damn right. Nintendo needs to change their brand, making more agressive marketing. Look at fucking Splatoon, it is a hit and it got an embarassing amount of marketing behind it. That's the fucking key. Not "muh power! Muh no gimmicks! Muh x86!".
>>
>>336819531
How to fix Nintendo
>Make super edge games for kids like CoD because they want to be cool kids
>>
>>336834138

Or they could oh I don't know.....actually listen to their customers and give them what they want instead of being a bunch of arrogant jackasses that just do whatever they want.
>>
>>336834020
>Power means jack shit.
That's not entirely accurate. Not being able to display in HD during a massive consumer shift to HD televisions and being totally reliant on motion controls is a large part of why the Wii lost steam much faster than the competition.
>>
>>336834138
How is COD edgy?
>>
>>336834231
>actually listen to their customers and give them what they want
Someone post that post with Miyamoto complaining about fans and Zelda games.
>>
>>336834353
I'm just being generic honestly CoD isn't edgy.
>>
>>336819531
I think the main problem is the heads of development. Just look at splatton, a fresh idea by new, young people, and some of the faults it has, like no voice chat is because Miyamoto forced them to not put it in. They just need a change of idea-people, and a 0 gimmick, current gen console. I'm pretty sure Nintendo would win if they had a console other companies would like to develop games for.
>>
>>336834554
>Miyamoto forced them to not put it in
One day, you'll get cancer at fingers if you keep writing bullshit. Hopefully.
>>
>>336831125
>Kid Icarus (3DS)
Hey now, that game's weird control scheme actually worked.
>>
>>336819531
They could but I for one don't want Nintendo to pander to normies.
>>
>>336819531
In their pursuit for innovation Nintendo dropped the ball multiple times, wich is expected i mean not every formula can be a winning formula
If Nintendo really wants to be succesfull they have to take the safe route, release the same controller for every single console generation, cause nobody can keep up with their shit
But i don't want to see them do that, so... it's not so simple OP
>>
>>336835649
They don't have to pander, they just have to convince them Nintendo is cool again
>>
>>336834389

Yeah, since being the special snowflake of the console market is totally working for them right now....right?
>>
>>336834554
Been saying it for years, Nintendo needs new blood. Most of those old Japs are too stuck in the past. And simply won't change no matter what.
>>
>>336834554
Is Miyamoto responsible for global warming too?
>>
File: VHM0tH7.png (113 KB, 754x523) Image search: [Google]
VHM0tH7.png
113 KB, 754x523
>>336834389
>>
>>336836657
They akready did what fans asked for several times. They got shit as answer. They can't win, no matter what.
>>
>>336819531
I liked your post, good shit
>>
File: 1323969045346.png (216 KB, 360x459) Image search: [Google]
1323969045346.png
216 KB, 360x459
>>336819531
Nintendo can never win, because the problem isn't Nintendo, it's the consumers.

>Give us new shit, stop rehashing everything!
>Okay, here's some new IPs, old IPS with radically different gameplay, and more.
>FUCKING NINTENDO, STOP "INNOVATING" JUST GIVE US WHAT WE LIKE.
>Okay, here's some traditional games a la donkey kong tropical freeze, wooly world, etc.
>NINTENDO, WHY ARE YOU REHASHING!?????

I know the funny keky meme here is "It's okay when Nintendo does it," but funny enough, it's literally the opposite. Anything Nintendo does is scrutinized to hell and back, and they're never given a break.

People, and the general masses get hyped for shit like MGS 5, Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, all literally rehashes, and yet they're given free passes.

It's been cool to hate nintendo since the existence of the sega, and was extremely amplified when Playstation came out.

Nintendo is doing right by doing what they want to do without heeding to what anybody else wants at this point.
>>
>>336836872
It amuses me how this keeps evolving as new Zelda games come out.
>>
>>336819531
No their problem is their fucking game release.

They have so many IPs and they barely do anything with them other than Mario, Zelda, Pokemon arguably Kirby and now Fire Emblem.
>>
File: 1426822469975.jpg (40 KB, 350x347) Image search: [Google]
1426822469975.jpg
40 KB, 350x347
>>336819531
AAA publishers want the dudebro/normie demographic and they don't play on Nintendo's platforms. That's all there is to it.

AAA blockbusters appeal to that demographic and it's largely all big publishers want to make, so they don't support Nintendo in a big way. If we had more AA and risky, niche games coming like we did 6th gen and back maybe Nintendo would be seeing more support.

But as the industry is now, these publishers can only sustain themselves on these massive AAA blockbusters and most consumers think any game that doesn't have photo-realistic visuals with voice acting and cutscenes every 10 minutes is for kids. Games need to be movies now, apparently.
>>
File: Jerry.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Jerry.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>336823889
>>
File: canthaveit15-13.jpg (45 KB, 400x360) Image search: [Google]
canthaveit15-13.jpg
45 KB, 400x360
wew lad
>>
>>336837059
>Anything Nintendo does is scrutinized to hell and back, and they're never given a break.
Nintendo is the only major developer/publisher out there that is actually treated fairly with real, hard criticism. Look at any interview with Reggie and Geoff, he actually asks good, hard questions Reggie doesn't always have an answer to. Then watch him interview someone from Activision or EA. Bends over and licks their fucking taint, it's a PR stunt, not journalism.

EVERYONE else gets a free pass because of how the industry and media work and collude together. People think
>HA, games journalism doesn't matter, it's just fucking games, who cares?
But it does matter. A lot. When the media tells these publishers and the public that broken, buggy $60 games with $100+ in DLC is 9.5/10 best shit ever, then we keep getting more of it and it conditions buyers to expect and accept it.
>>
File: 094.jpg (112 KB, 940x688) Image search: [Google]
094.jpg
112 KB, 940x688
>>336837681

Remember the good times, they're never coming back.
>>
>>336837987
Back then it wasn't as bad but you could see signs of bending over backwards for advertising. Geoff would probably ask harder questions for Activision for EA if his job wasn't on the line.
>>
>>336837681
>he actually asks good, hard questions Reggie doesn't always have an answer to.
I agree, there was even a 2014 interview with Reggie from the dudes at IGN that brought up the subject of Virtual Console cross-buy, I've never seen anyone else bring that up to him even though it's a common request.
>>
>>336838558
And that's exactly the problem, his job is on the line when he actually does his fucking job properly. The huge publishers have far too much sway over the media.

EGM/1up's AssCreed 1 review and the Gamepot Kane and Lynch 2 fiasco are perfect examples of how publishers respond to less-than-favorable coverage from media outlets they have advertising contracts with. And it's only been getting worse.

Nintendo and other, smaller Japanese developers are off in their own little bubble as far as these media outlets are concerned. They gain nothing by inflating scores and probably stand to gain more by giving a Nintendo game low scores to generate controversy and traffic on the site.
>>
>>336833631

A lot of what's been released in the last year is because Nintendo has been gearing up NX development behind the scenes, getting ready for their next console launch and beyond.

But they couldn't very well leave the WiiU with absolutely nothing, so they hurried along development of games like amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis (and Star Fox probably, until Miyamoto put his foot down). Also they probably reduced each dev team's size. The result is new games with a dearth of worthwhile content, or HD remakes of older games.

Nintendo has mentioned there are still unannounced WiiU games but it's probably more of the same in that vein: new games light on content or HD remakes of GC games. Hopefully when NX launches next year the release titles for it don't have that problem.
>>
>>336839064
>Guy got fired for calling a mediocre game mediocre
Feels bad man.
>>
can't wait for nintendo to go third party, right bros? xD MARIO ON THE PS5 AND WE'LL FINALLY GET BAYONETTA 2
>>
>>336839571
I don't know which notion is dumber. Thinking Nintendo's going third party anytime soon, or that they'll actually make games for Playstation if they did. They already have their eyes set on the mobile market.
>>
>>336840004
CAUSE SONY ALWAYS WINS AND WITH THOSE NINTENDRONE IPS, WE CAN FINALLY SAY WE KILLED NINTENDO
>>
>>336839436
Then he created an entertaining site that went to shit later after it had been bought out by former employer who fired him.
>>
>>336840183
How can one man be so troubled?
>>
>>336819531
People really can't stand that Nintendo relies on gimmicks so much, but I think it's good for the industry. It keeps things fresh - in theory, at least. In practice, the games people want to buy, the AAA games, are designed as cheaply and lazily as possible. They just don't release a version for the Nintendo console, or they use the gimmick badly, and everyone acts like it's Nintendo's fault for "forcing" the gimmick.

Nintendo should take a break from overwhelming gimmicks. Go back to smaller gimmicks, like the D-Pad or whatever. Those scroll-wheel shoulder buttons, those are a great idea. They're unobtrusive, but they also provide solutions to a lot of problems. FPS games can benefit from rapid, easy weapon switching. Games like MH can benefit from being able to select your items easily. They're not going to be anything groundbreaking, but just like a 2nd screen, they enhance the experience by moving clutter to more efficient places.

I also honestly liked the form-fitting screen idea, but I know nobody else did.
>>
File: 1411026355088s.jpg (8 KB, 229x250) Image search: [Google]
1411026355088s.jpg
8 KB, 229x250
How delusionally servile do you have to be to develop a persecution disorder by proxy for a fucking corporation?
>>
I see where you're coming from OP but let's not pretend their brand is the one and only reason they're floundering. They're floundering because they don't know which audience they want to appeal to anymore, they barely do any proper marketing, they have huge ass droughts where they release nothing for months at a time, and they tried to ride on the Wii/DS success hard but only wound up making poor copies of them with ill conceived gimmicks and confusing names (which was only made even worse because they didn't know how to advertise them).

A rebranding to get people to stop thinking of them as only being "that baby company with the Mario games" would help but they have loads of other problems to work on first, and it would probably require them to actually buy up studios that are capable of making mature games.
>>
It isn't image. It's lack of 3rd party support and lame 1rst party software. I know you nintendo fans think they make great games, but they are too easy and often inferior to older versions of their products.

They're lazy and get by with it because the fans can't handle criticism and honestly think Nintendo still makes great games.

Best of luck with all that.
>>
>>336840584
>but they are too easy
This, in the world of Assassin's Creed and Uncharted. Right.
>>
>>336840692
See, you can't handle criticism.
>>
>3DS and Wii U lineups for 2016 are bleak as fuck
>NX reveal probably months away
>with no news and absolutely nothing to talk about, all Nintendo-related threads will be shitposting for the next several months
This is a serious problem
>>
>>336840324

He doesn't play the suck cock game - so it's an upward battle for him.
>>
>>336840878
Not him but Nintendo games aren't the only ones that have progressively gotten easier, it's nearly all games

To say that "Nintendo games are too easy and often inferior to older versions of their series" makes it sound like it only applies to Nintendo games. This is an industry-wide problem
>>
>>336840945
>3DS
3DS's library is absolutely fine, especially with Kirby and Rhythm Heaven on the horizon.
>>
>>336840878
This is not an argument. It's ad hominem.

You're right that I can't handle criticism when the criticism is incorrect.
>>
>>336841108
>>336841253
Can't believe it's this easy to bait Nintenfags. Have fun playing your shitty underpowered console, lol.
>>
>>336826226
It was shit. Sorry you have terrible taste
>>
>>336841108
Nintendo drove off the cliff and others are driving towards it. Uncharted on crushing is far more engaging than any Zelda game. GodOW on it's hardest setting is far more engaging than Zelda or Mario, yet those two examples are closer to medium on the larger scale. Yet Nintendo fans shit on both those series despite having nothing first party that is better.

Again, bad first party games and little 3rd part support is limiting their appeal.

Also online is a big deal, but whatever.
>>
>>336827350
>family friendly image
>that has nothing to do with going the road of M-rated games

nintentodlers everyone
>>
>>336837167
Those are definitely the most pushed IPs, but what about the fact that this gen they released:
>Kid Icarus Uprising
>two Star Fox
>Pilotwings Resort
>two Chibi Robo
>two Steel Diver (basically a revived Radar Mission)
>Fluidity Spin Cycle
>Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
>Game & Wario
>Brain Age Concentration Training
>Xenoblade Chronicles X
>Rhythm Heaven
>two of those fashion games I don't remember the names of

Let's not forget new IPs:
>four Pushmo
>two Boxboy
>two Dillon's Rolling Western
>Ketzal's Corridors
>arguably Star Fox Guard
>NES Remix (only sort of new because of the Remix challenges)
>Nintendoland
>Codename Steam
>Sakura Samurai

>But it's not F-Zero or Metroid so it's shit!
>>
>>336823889

What the hell is this?
>>
>>336826226
Yeah I love it when my platformer game gimps the hell out of my movement options from the previous game in favor of some bullshit Jetpack gimmick.
>>
>>336842082
A meme
>>
>>336841943
This is Nintendo's problem, they do produce games that aren't just Mario or Zelda, but you often don't hear about them. A lot of those are low budget or even downloadable only titles so natural most people won't consider them major releases worth noting, and often Nintendo themselves seem content with just brushing them under the rug and pretending they don't exist while they air commercials for the latest Mario cash-in.

Splatoon was one of the rare cases where they actually tried to push a new IP and I have to guess that was only because it was made by EAD and not a second party studio or something.
>>
>Great games sell the system

Actually great marketing sells anything, hence the success of the PS4 and Splatoon.
>>
>>336826670
To be fair the lack of Pokemon Snap 2 is the fault of The Pokemon Company and not Nintendo, they don't think people would be interested because everyone has a smartphone with a camera now. Yes, this is the retarded fucking logic they used to come to this conclusion.
>>
>>336842231
Oh yeah I really loved the part where Mario's moveset was the exact same from SM64 except they switched the long jump with the equally useful spin jump and added the jet pack on top for good measure.

What were you saying again?
>>
>>336842604
>Spin Jump as useful as Long Jump

Fuck outta here
>>
>>336842454
To add to my post, it doesn't help Nintendo that their decision-making people are old Kyoto cronies.
>>
File: 1426897730729.jpg (134 KB, 500x699) Image search: [Google]
1426897730729.jpg
134 KB, 500x699
>>336819531
I and everyone I know including normies don't give a fuck about branding or how the console is perceived instead we only care to play a game we want to play.

It's purely exclusives. I didn't buy a WiiU because it didn't offer any real exclusives I had any interest in. No metroid. No real mario and no Zelda.

I have been an Idort from the first atari console until this generation. WiiU being the first console I didn't deem worthy to buy.

Nintendo needs to focus on developing more and better games.

The same can be said of the One and PS4 to be honest. But at least they have multiplats to fall back on.

People like my dad just walk into the store look for fifa 16 grabs it. Sees it's for PS4 and buys that console with it. They don't even really think about buying those specific consoles. Nintendo doesn't really have a game like that.

If they made a real zelda/mario or metroid game they could actually pull some people in.
>>
>>336841943
>rehash
>two rehashes
>shit
>two rehashes
>two rehash diver
>shit
>rehash tropical freeze
>game and rehash
>rehash age
>rehashblade
>rhythm rehash
>two rehash fashion

and let's not forget the new rehashes:
>four rehash-mo
>two rehashboy
>two rehash rolling west
>rehash corridors
>rehash fox guard
>NES rehash
>rehash land
>codename rehash
>rehash samurai
>>
>>336842741
Good thing they are undergoing a corporate restructure.
>>
>>336842421
Well they tried forcing demos downloads for some eShop games, but people didn't like that.
They should really work on advertising them through other methods though.
>>
>>336843128
What in the holy mother of fuck is Kid Icarus Uprising a rehash of
>>
File: Gamagori Can't Into Proportions.jpg (183 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Gamagori Can't Into Proportions.jpg
183 KB, 1920x1080
>>336843301

Anon, it wasn't even pretending to not be bait.
>>
This is the information age. Word of mouth in the internet has power.
And if word of mouth says Nintendo's newest shit is 10-15 times weaker than the competition, yet costs nearly as much, then you get punished for it.
>>
Anybody else just sick and tired of Miis? I've hated these motherfuckers ever since the Wii and they keep getting shoved into everything Nintendo does nowadays. The moment when I saw them in Sm4sh is when I was done.
>>
>>336843301
kid icarus for the nes
>>
>>336843301
Obviously Sin and Punishment.
>>
>>336842252

Details plz
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (97 KB, 1196x766) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
97 KB, 1196x766
>>336842421

>Splatoon was one of the rare cases where they actually tried to push a new IP

Who would've thought that an aggressive marketing campaign would lead to a game selling well? I'm sure Nintendo was fucking floored.
>>
>>336843510
Some guy made a video showing off weird quirks of Mario 64 physics, then everyone proceeded to force it and made dozens of threads about it a day until it became a meme.

https://youtu.be/kpk2tdsPh0A
>>
>>336823943

>The NX could have the best line-up on the planet but that won't matter if everyone still sees it as kiddieshit.

Except it won't be seen as kiddieshit if people are talking about how it has the best line-up on the planet, save for people who would call it kiddieshit no matter what.
>>
>>336843113
This is what I was saying. If the games are great i'll buy it. Nintendo lost me with the Wii because their games sucked.
>>
File: 1454099631259.jpg (60 KB, 880x585) Image search: [Google]
1454099631259.jpg
60 KB, 880x585
Only Nintendo fans like Nintendo games, that's the real problem.

Brand value is not the problem, people aren't loyal to one yet even then Nintendo the biggest loyal following, their brand value is strong, their product is just weak. Nintendo makes Nintendo games and the majority of people don't give a fuck about cutesey 1 hour platformers anymore especially when Nintendo wants to charge people AAA prices for these experiences.

The product is undesirable and overly expensive, the latter will never change and you can't fix the former, that's just how it is.
>>
The problem isn't really the image of Nintendo games being kiddie, the problem is that it honestly seems like Nintendo is going out of their way to make the WORST DECISIONS POSSIBLE that pisses off an already unstable fanbase. The Wii U is pretty much a failure, and while I do commend them for making some great titles on it like Splatoon and 3D World, these great games seem to be a major exception for them. Shit like Federation Force, Animal Crossing Amiibo Party, Sticker Splash, and the general refusal to try to make many things of worth on the Wii U itself are incredibly troubling. The fact that their future plans with the NX are so secretive is also not inspiring a lot of confidence, simply because WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS, and it could end up being an even bigger blunder than the Wii U very easily.
>>
>>336843593
>that pic
Some of that marketing was successful in roundabout ways

Dunno if "Squid Kids" was successful due to luck or well-placed faith in modern man's cynicism.
>>
strike a deal with EA or 2K and get some real life human games in your lineup. Some story-rich games, and some sport stuff, nobody is gonna buy a whole console for ninetendo meme children games. They'll buy it for the average normie stuff, stay for the meme fun stuff. In other words Nintendo has to
>Stop
>Collaborate
>Listen
>>
If all they're willing to show of the NX is Zelda doesn't that already imply that the launch is gonna be really disappointing?
>>
File: Fatal Censored.webm (3 MB, 1280x360) Image search: [Google]
Fatal Censored.webm
3 MB, 1280x360
I know one thing they could stop doing to increase sales.
>>
>>336843960

I don't think it was roundabout at all. It was exactly what any good jingle should be, a catchy earworm that stay with you. It had the added benefit of being ridiculed for being so simple/stupid, which just got more eyes on the game in the first place.
>>
The problem is third party

If NX can gain third party back they can be kings again
>>
>>336843903
>because their games sucked.

You honestly thought both Mario Galaxies are bad?
>>
File: 1424190770424.jpg (137 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1424190770424.jpg
137 KB, 803x688
>>336829447
This is actually the PROBLEM with nintendo.

They don't make the same enough games.

Look at pokemon. It's the same every year and it sells like hotcakes.

We actually complain about nintendo because it ISN'T the same every time this is a serious problem.

We want a new zelda made every couple of years. We want a new 3d mario made every couple of years. Mariokart, Metroid primes and paper marios.

BUT INSTEAD of doing the same shit like every other company they have to "innovate" And fuck themselves up by making adjustments and games that aren't really what we want.

Look at WiiU's most successful games they are all what we want. Pikmin 3 (just pikmin done again great) Bayonetta 2 (Bayonetta again great) same for mario kart and super smash bros.

Now look at the games that didn't do well:
W101. New shit that we didn't ask for.

The same can be said about their console peripherals in general. WE DON'T WANT NEW SHIT NINTENDO.

I FUCKING pray nintendo finally understands they don't need to fucking innovate but just do what every other company does and make the same games over and over again just like we want.

Let's be fucking honest. We just want real zelda 3D marios and metroids.
>>
Nintendo should program their games worse so people can find gameplay exploits in them more frequently.
>>
>>336844068
The censorship makes sense here. Why would a girl be in a bikini in an old, broken down, rusty piped building?
>>
>>336844102
>Now look at the games that didn't do well:
>W101. New shit that we didn't ask for.
>The same can be said about their console peripherals in general. WE DON'T WANT NEW SHIT NINTENDO.
>I FUCKING pray nintendo finally understands they don't need to fucking innovate but just do what every other company does and make the same games over and over again just like we want.

Speak for your fucking self. I don't mind them rehasing established series and them being samey, but I sure as fuck want new series from them as well.
>>
>>336836871
It depends. If you're republican, probably, since he's japanese and foreginers are to blame for everything, even when you don't believe in global warming since you're a republican. If you're a liberal, partially, since nintendo is one of the more contaminant company.
>>
>>336819531
N64 didn't use discs. It effectively was less powerful because it couldn't store nearly as much. Gamecube got crushed because the PS2 was legendary. Everyone was crushed by it. Branding is a huge issue, but it's a combination of that and hardware.
>>
>>336844252
You are the minority. Look at the sales of those titles. Look at pokemon.

People in general just want the same shit over again. Even we hardcore audience actually do.

Look at the souls series right now. they're the fucking same games. But they're fucking great.
>>
Nintendo going third party would be the death of their IPs
>>
>>336844206
Because it was a photoshoot for the bikini
>>
>>336844206
Because she wants to kill herself for being a bikini model, that's why
she entered the suicide forest. She thought the whole ordeal was too
shameful to bear.

If you put her out of the costume, it makes way less sense. Now, she
wants to kill herself because she's simply being photographed. I suppose
that isn't completely untrue of modern girls.
>>
>>336844085
>If NX can gain third party back they can be kings again

The ship has sailed to sony, pc and xbox and it's getting further away every day. Getting third party back is one hurdle and they can't just jump it and win, they need to get third party back AND make games that everybody wants AND make a console worth buying thus drawing interest into the consoles to justify the third party support which will just disappear again if nobody buys the console.

It's a tall order, especially if only NIntendo fans buy the NX like the wiiU, Nintendo might just get out of the console business for good and just go mobile.
>>
>>336819531
>Rebranding.
That would imply Nintendo spends money on marketing. They don't.
>>
>>336819531
>>
>>contrary to popular belief, I think that the n64 and gamecube systems didnt have gimmicky controllers
>>something about branding

At this point i wanted to stop reading because you're showing your age, or rather lack thereof.
Nintendo had the biggest brand and they fell off, man. Their market share has been greatly diminished everywhere except Japan, and it IS because of their weak hardware, retarded ass gimmicks and lackluster 3rd party library.

I don't own a PS4 because of what my pissant friends do, I'm a fucking adult. I own a PS4 because there are great games that I can't play on PC. I honestly feel like you cant say that for nintendo, every goddamn zelda game has been shit since the gamecube days, and there hasnt been a decent metroid since they abandoned a controller design process that begins with the human hand.

What they need is for their new system to be a strong piece of hardware to attract developers to it's capabilities, with a decent SDK available so they can get more indie shit as well. A console is just a vehicle man, you're preaching about a plan that if is followed will only trick consumers into buying another shit-tier console.

Granted, that plan will profit nintendo, but nobody will enjoy the fucking thing. So yeah they can do that, it's what they've been doing for the past 12 years.
>>
>>336844087
Very bad games. Shallow as fuck. Linear. 90% of it was shit. The last 10% is what the game should have been after a half an hour or hour of play.

Just because they're the only 3D platformers doesn't make them amazing. Still waiting for a proper sequel to SM64 or anyone to make a huge platformer with tons of things to explore and discover.

Would be nice.
>>
>>336844430
Explain why.
>>
File: Vorkken Thumbs Down.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Vorkken Thumbs Down.jpg
109 KB, 1280x720
>>336844424
I want them to quit some of the experimental stuff as it's very hit or miss in their established series, but there's nothing wrong with new series. If you're content with the same series over and over fine, but people whine about wanting more new series from Nintendo for a reason. Wonderful 101 and Splatoon are both awesome games and it helps they're actually fucking new IPs as well.

Also people shit on Pokemon for being the same constantly as well, you realize?

>>336844102
>Pikmin 3 (just pikmin done again great) Bayonetta 2 (Bayonetta again great) same for mario kart and super smash bros.

These were all new series at some point.
>>
>>336844840
Because they'd drive their quality even further to shit
>>
Would you prefer for Nintendo to continue doing gimmicks or just saturate the market more with another underpowered PC?
>>
>>336844540

the only console zelda that there has been since the gamecube has been skyward sword, which i will agree is garbage. so i guess you mean twilight princess? replaying the HD re-release, i'm starting to realise how much of my lukewarm feelings about the game were a result of the fucking annoying motion controls on the wii. being able to play it like a normal game is a blast. just a same that this console cycle, the only two zelda games we've had have been remakes.

the handheld zelda games have been pretty good - ALBW is pretty excellent, all things considered. so we're just left with skyward sword being shit. if they can manage to make a zelda game that doesn't turn into a 40-hour tech demo for whatever stupid gimmick they're trying to push on the NX then job's a good 'un.

but come on, you just know that the NX is going to have some annoyingly obtuse controller gimmick. the NX version will be redone to shoehorn it into every single crevice they can, and the wii u version will be deliberately gimped in order to convince people to buy the NX version and, by extension, an NX.
>>
>>336844960
Why do you think this?
>>
>>336825645
Even my mom wants to get a ps4, and she has zero intention of playing anything. It's all Netflix for her.
>>
>>336845054
Are you saying the PS4 and the Xbone are underpowered PCs? You ignorant fuck
>>
>>336844675
What do you think of Sunshine? 3D Land & World?

And honestly the Wii brought back some solid sleeper hits that are more for a core audience. Punch Out, Sin & Punishment 2, DKCR, etc. That's pretty harsh.
>>
>>336845180
rehash
>>
>>336819531
I think it makes sense business-wise to delay Zelda and shunt Wii U releases to NX. It shows that they've learned from the Wii U that it's games that ultimately sell the console. I think that, as long as the launch titles aren't along the lines of Mario Tennis: Colour Splash, the NX should have a decent launch.
>>
>>336845148
Are you implying they're not?
>>
File: ahegao.jpg (55 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
ahegao.jpg
55 KB, 499x499
>>336819531
I've been lurking this thread, and this is honestly one of the best threads on /v/ in a while. There's been a lot of solid points made on multiple sides of the topic. /v/ threads should do this more often.
>>
>>336844540
>I own a PS4 because there are great games that I can't play on PC.

PS4 has ONE great game that you can't play on PC, and that's Bloodborne.
>>
>>336845231
They are so much more than that
>>
>>336819531
The problem with neo-Nintendo is AUTISM, they consider Disney and other toy brands their real competitors, not other videogame companies like they used to think before Iwata.

N64 and Game Cube sold poorly because they were to incompetent to support and give priority to thinrd party games, that and their refuse to use normal discs, but as consoles they were great.
>>
>>336845226

the NX will be a deliberate attempt to make the wii lightning strike twice and it will be full of launch titles marketed to casuals - mark my words. the controller will contain a pedometer and the most prominent launch title will be a fitness game.
>>
>>336845226
>It shows that they've learned from the Wii U that it's games that ultimately sell the console.
I disagree. I think they learned that hype and marketing are what sell them.
>>
>>336819531
>The problem is BRANDING
no
>>
>>336845330
How so?
>>
>>336845410
I think we'd all be happier if Nintendo focused more on advertising than making games
>>
>>336845350
Kimishima is constantly talking about the value of the Nintendo IP and expanding the strength of the brand, dunno if this is gonna lead to good things in the long run but at the very least it sounds like he isn't interested in coasting along with the status quo at least.
>>
>>336845517
Their library
Their exclusives
Pc and Steam just can't compete
>>
>>336845068
Because I've played Microsoft, Sony and mobile games
>>
>>336845606
For one, xbone games are already playable on PC. Also PS4 certainly doesn't have any worthwhile games now besides Bloodborne. Plus you don't have to pay a montly/annual fee to play online and the games are relatively cheaper and of the same quality.
>>
>>336845606
>Their exclusives

They both have like, one or two each, buddy pal.
>>
>>336845586

yeah but what does he mean by that? they included the fitness trainer in smash bros - the fitness stuff is very much part of the "nintendo ip", it could be that they want to go full casual this time, and the rumoured "handheld + console" thing is because they want to include a bunch of casual-friendly "on the go" games and the console itself will be effectively a media centre for those sorts of people.

i'm not saying it won't have some decent nintendo IPs, but the wii also had some good games. i just reckon they're going to look back over the past 20 years or so and realise that their biggest runaway success was the wii and that was when they cornered an area of the market that doesn't usually play games. they're going to try and do that this time, too.
>>
>>336845180
Sin and Punishment 2 was fucking awesome
>>
>>336845180
I think very little of Sunshine and 3D world. They aren't garbage but I expect more from Nintendo. It used to be I expected more from them because they always delivered top notch software. It was expected.

Now I REALLY expect more because they really have to justify a console purchase. I loved my Gamecube because it had great 3rd party games. Mario and Zelda was very disappointing. Smash was great. Star fox was sad and F Zero was made by amusement vision who was spectacular.

As for the Wii and those 3 games you listed I would have purchased them if I hadn't already sold my Wii. Which I don't regret doing. Even if I missed out on games like punch out and sin and punishment.

Also DKR did not look very good, but I only loved the first DKC game. Played the fuck out of that but never could get into 2 or 3.
>>
>>336846048
>they included the fitness trainer in smash bros - the fitness stuff is very much part of the "nintendo ip", it could be that they want to go full casual this time,

That character was put in cause ever Smash game has some character put in, that no one sees coming for the hell of it.

>>336846048
>and the rumoured "handheld + console" thing is because they want to include a bunch of casual-friendly "on the go" games and the console itself will be effectively a media centre for those sorts of people.

If that ended up being true, that actually fix one of Nintendo's biggest problems. Splitting up support between their handheld and console. People making Mario Kart for 3DS? They can't start work on Wii U Mario Kart till that's finished. System that's both? No more problems with that.

There's no proof who or what NX is and who's it for till we know.
>>
>>336825264
It's called an attach rate. Look it up. Ps4 and Xbone owners don't buy games.
>>
File: Red-Letter-Media-plinkett.jpg (57 KB, 601x402) Image search: [Google]
Red-Letter-Media-plinkett.jpg
57 KB, 601x402
>>336819531
The average people gravitate towards the familiar
Sony kept the same control scheme, it's easy to pick up even after skipping a whole generation, they win
Nintendo made new controllers that you have to learn each time, they lose
There you go, didn't need to write an essay about it
>>
>>336819531
the real problem is that Nintendo doesn't have mature grey and brown 3rd person shooters for mature gamers
>>
>>336846349

Attach rates are higher when the install base is low

I'm surprised you didn't know that. Dumb nintendrone.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.